DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Man this was a bloody bloodbath. I don't understand firings like Bobby Fish, Bronson Reed, and Mercedes Martinez at all. Here are my main takeaways:

1. I don't think this disproves the idea that WWE is up for sale. Maybe they are trying to cut a lot of the roster to just get all the books looking as profitable as possible so when they put the company up for sale, they have a very lean roster, record profits, PLUS whose lucrative TV deals are on the books. I mean they just started the Peacock deal. That's going to last them for quite a while. They still got time left on Fox. Could be wrong, but we'll see. It's just a theory at this point.

2. There's no reason to keep around 205 Live anymore. 205 Live is irrelevant at this point. Fuck, 205 Live was barely relevant before all these releases. WWE is not a good company to showcase cruiserweight wrestling. And even the top cruiserweights don't want to stay cruiserweights forever. The cruiserweight wrestlers will want to be on the main roster at some point.

3. There's no reason for Raw to stay three hours. It's just the same matches and same people over and over again every week. They don't have the roster to support a three hour Raw. 

4. What is Bronson Reed if not a developmental talent? I knew next to nothing about his career at all pre-NXT.

5. Randy Orton would not surprise me at this point seeing as who they have released. They released f'n Bray Wyatt AND Braun Strowman. Both guys were hovering around that same level Randy was when they were cut.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't understand firings like Bobby Fish

Mid 40s, least upside of any of the UE members, and has only wrestled four matches this year means he'd be on the bubble in normal times. And when they're chucking out anybody not nailed to the floor? It sucks, but it's hardly shocking given the last few months unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Mid 40s, least upside of any of the UE members, and has only wrestled four matches this year means he'd be on the bubble in normal times. And when they're chucking out anybody not nailed to the floor? It sucks, but it's hardly shocking given the last few months unfortunately. 

Well, Orton just turned 41 last April ? How many matches has Orton actually worked this year? Plus, he seems to take a lot of time off. He's not exactly a main event guy these days either.

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Doesn't NXT need vets for all the young green talent to work with?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Doesn't NXT need vets for all the young green talent to work with?

Good point. Lest we forget, Ciampa and Drake Maverick are on the other side of 35. They are not young developmental talents at this point.

Edited by TheVileOne

I remember seeing Rust against Fish, and think Rust just didn't look like that much. I can imagine Vince watching the match, not live obviously, and thinking 'No on both these guys'.

I watched Reed on Main Event against Gulak and he did too much, especially at the end. Showed the wrong instincts imho.

Slightly surprised not to see Maverick on the list, he had joined at reopened his YouTube channel or something but I guess somebody likes him.

As mentioned with regards UK guys, government has been paying a lot of furlough money. That begins to reduce but still has time left as I understand it. But sometime in the next few weeks, the cuts will likely come.

Obviously AEW won't be signing all these people, but they are giving a lot of Indy fees a lot of talent. Bronson is obviously someone who isn't going to go short of bookings, and I think could get back to the show if he can raise his game.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Well, Orton just turned 41 last April ? How many matches has Orton actually worked this year? Plus, he seems to take a lot of time off. He's not exactly a main event guy these days either.

You don't see a big difference between a guy who's been on the roster since the early 2000's and is one of the company's more highly pushed stars and a forty-five year old who's not a draw even in NXT and will never get a call-up?  

Edited by Eoae

Just now, w. josh said:

"New format" sounds like a return to NXT as a faux-reality competition show, which wouls be great as a content farm for reaction GIFs and terrible for everything else. 

Does anyone have a source for the "new format" rumor?  I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere except this thread (last night).

Listened to Wrestling Observer this morning and all Meltzer had to say about the cuts were a few people were targeted due to age (Fish, Martinez, a couple others) and the rest were mostly obvious based on the way they were used in NXT and the amount of tv time they weren't getting.  

I wouldn't mind some sort of shakeup.  NXT has way too many people and the tv product strikes me as being very stale.  I don't know that it would draw ratings to appease USA, but I wouldn't mind seeing a wholesale turnover of the roster.  Ciampa, Thatcher, Cole, Lorcan, O'Reilly, the Grizzled Young Vets, etc. stopped being interesting to me quite a while ago and it doesn't seem like many (any) of those guys are going to figure in the plans for the main roster.  Likewise, I've enjoyed the Garganos heel act lately, but they seem to have reached their ceiling and there's not a whole lot else they can do with them.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They can bring back 2009 WWECW.

Would that be a bad thing?  I feel like it would probably be an improvement   The "supah indy" incarnation of NXT feels like it has run its course.

19 minutes ago, Eoae said:

You don't see a big difference between a guy who's been on the roster since the early 2000's and is one of the company's more highly pushed stars and a forty-five year old who's not a draw even in NXT and will never get a call-up?  

With all the bloodletting of the last year...nope, especially after Strowman and Wyatt.

Does anyone have a source for the "new format" rumor?  I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere except this thread (last night).

Mike Johnson with PWInsider.

Edited by TheVileOne

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They can bring back 2009 WWECW.

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Only because Christian is unavailable.

Man, I enjoyed Christian's 2009 run in WWE ECW and as ECW Champion twice.

Best match in WWE ECW history.