DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Adam Cole sits down for a face-to-face meeting with Vince McMahon during a Smackdown taping and Bobby Fish is cut before the show is over. Draw your own conclusions.

The only name I'd bet a hundo on getting immediately signed to AEW is Jake Atlas.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

With Bray Wyatt getting released and the amount of people, there's only a few I'd say are untouchable:

Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, Becky Lynch when she returns, Sasha Banks and probably Drew McIntyre.

Edited by The Natural

So they are going to turn NXT into Ohio Valley Wrestling 2007-2008 with very little talent but guys that "looked the part".   The whole youth movement thing would be fine if you didn't fire guys like Anthony Henry, Jake Atlas,  Bronson Reed,  and Alex Zayne.    

By the way all these NXT guys are getting released meanwhile I never hear about people in NXT UK getting released.  Does Vince not even know they exist?  Are they paying them $500 and some fish and chips a show?

Edited by hammerva

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

The WWE is forgetting how they won the Monday night war.

Getting the other side to overspent? Them Giving the high priced talent too much (any) creative control ? Them getting a second TV show that overstretched the behind the scenes staff? 

???

Edited by odessasteps

Mercedes would be a great dance partner w/ Purazzo before she'd have a run in AEW. 

Fish... I can see him going everywhere. I think he'd be great as a singles in the NWA, IMPACT, New Japan, and if he can find a partner he'd have a damn good run in AEW in a tag team. 

Jonah I could see in New Japan as a Super Gaijin. That would build up his legend immensely for his eventual AEW run. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

By the way for all the people are worried about the future of NXT I will tell you when to officially be worried about the future of the brand.  When they start getting rid of guys like Ridge Holland.  Young jacked up guys with almost no knowledge of the business.  

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Getting the other side to overspent? Them Giving the high priced talent too much (any) creative control ? Them getting a second TV show that overstretched the behind the scenes staff? 

???

1. Didn't Vince get a guy to sign like a bajillion year contract with a price tag he knew he couldn't pay so said guy couldn't go to the competition only to renege on said contract?

2. Didn't Shawn have Vince's ear to the point where it became an issue that he could weasel his way out of any program and/or job he had to do?

3. Wasn't Thunder like technically fourth or fifth show WCW was doing at the time? Both companies would try to repurpose and rebrand all the syndicated shows, and it's not like the new Superstars, Shotgun Saturday Night, and WWF Mania ever took off. Vince wanted another weekly show....the attempts just didn't land until 1999. WCW was starting to implode before Thunder came around.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm thinking Vince went down to NXT... saw what he really had... took what he liked and told his people to dump the rest. 

Seriously. Does Bronson Reed look like a WWE guy? Not in the slightest. Does Mercedes Martinez look like a WWE Womens Headliner? Again... no. She doesn't fit Vince's mold. She'd be Tamina Snuka without the lineage. 

We all know Vince has a "look". The Dexter Lumis types is what you will be getting. Vince is taking back control and reinforcing what his ideals are for a WWE performer. 

Sean Ross Sapp the other day suggested that by next year NXT is going to resemble WWECW more than it will the golden years of NXT. 

The people I'm familiar with from tonight are all pretty talented. I hope they can get some momentum going. Jarrett was hinting at creating a new promotion, so let's fuckin' go with TNA 2.0. Weekly PPVs!

Mercedes is super solid. I'm glad Zayne will be back in GCW. I used to watch Atlas in PWG and he never really stood out among other smaller flippy dudes. I don't know how he's come along since joining NXT. Has he improved much? I saw Bobby Fish film himself giving groceries to a homeless person once and I've hated that guy ever since (don't fucking film yourself doing that plz). 

Edit: oh yeah, Jonah Rock kicked ass. I imagine he still does. Good luck to that brother right there.

Edited by Jiji

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Besides Reed, was anyone released expected to reach the main roster?  He's the only name out of the twelve I really expected to see called up.

Again if you use that logic then you might as well kill the brand now.   Hell we don't even think that guys like Adam Cole and johnny Gargano have a chance to amount to much on the main roster never mind about 30 or 40 others.   The current NXT champion who should be the kind of guy Vince loves in Karrion Kross is basically a 50/50 guy on the main roster until they figure out what to do with them.   

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Pity about Mercedes though it feels like she will be fine with between ROH, Impact, and AEW.

Reed, Rust, and Atlas never did much for me. Figured Reed would at least get some time to fail on the main roster. 

I thought Ruff did well in his feuds with Gargano & Swerve. His fiancé is also one of their main refs in NXT so I'm kind of surprised he is gone. 

Fish has not looked good since he came back. Still would not have guessed he was on the chopping block.

Edited by Eivion

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

???

Part of what happened was releasing people or embettering talent to where they were motivated beyond what they were.

Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Jim Cornette, Chris Jericho, X-Pac, The Radicals... this was part of why the main event scene was so good which was part of the tide turning.

It's not the main reason, but sending pissed off talent into the world is part of what happened.

Doing releases around midnight is next level cold.  I get doing it on Friday when it is mostly considered a "slow news day" but man at least tell them before they go to bed.  

To be fair seeing Desmond get released isn't too surprising.  He was disappointing against Joe Gacy I thought.   Speaking of guys who probably don't want to pick up a phone in Gacy

Edited by hammerva

There's no one in the executive section of corporate making way too much money to do nothing they couldn't cut instead that makes as much as 20 NXT talents? Oh, right. That's how they want it.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Colleagues getting fired combined with your own job insecurity makes a shit working environment.

Natty....  This is literally every job everywhere.

• Like 5

Just now, The Natural said:

Colleagues getting fired combined with your own job insecurity makes a shit working environment.

I spent 15 years in a huge international corporation. We would have layoffs probably annually + role consolidations as the Executive Leadership Board navigated the world market as well as through mergers with other corporations. Getting cut is something we all joked about. It doesn't matter what your position was within the company - no job is really safe. Not even the Executive Leadership!

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Natty....  This is literally every job everywhere.

I already know that. My Dad lost his after 30 plus years at Cardinal getting told 30 minutes before it went public due to the coronavirus global pandemic.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1