DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Fwiw, Meltzer said on Observer Radio that Bray’s been out with a medical issue and was not cleared to wrestle.  He just got cleared, which is why they were planning to bring him back in August. No mention of Brodie or asking for time off.  “Medical issue” could be psychological, I suppose, though that didn’t seem to be where Dave was going and it would probably have to be a fairly severe diagnosis to keep you from being cleared to get in the ring.

Dave thinks his high salary might have led to the cut but not sure.  Also not sure AEW will have any interest in him, but not sure they won’t. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

Man, it's been a weird few years watching WWE go from "sign everybody to keep them from going to AEW" to "let even the most unexpected names go if we don't have a good reason to keep them."  I mean it makes sense.  They're making their money providing content to Fox, USA, and Peacock, not building stars or creating wrestling programs between wrestlers to draw a house or a PPV.  So if the goal isn't to draw money the way wrestling has done it traditionally, then there's no need for a bigger crew anyway.  There's no need to be on the lookout for that next big star or hot angle.  It's just a crazy thing to see what this company has turned into.

• Like 3

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

With all these releases, who in the WWE would you still want to pay money to go see? 

Walter. 

Probably Becky. 

Maybe Finn.

That's about it. 

For me, the must sees:

WALTER.

Roman Reigns.

Sasha Banks.

Bayley when she's back.

Becky Lynch.

Bianca Belair.

That's it. Maybe Finn Balor.

• Like 1

Who in WWE would I pay to see live? Well, I'd say Timothy Thatcher but I have seen him live already. MSK maybe? Ricochet, but only after he's back on the indies. Wouldn't go to a WWE show to see him being less than himself.

I dunno, Shotzi Blackheart maybe?

I know this is a sort of terrible take and I'm a little, just a tiny bit sorry for it, but Bray should be the third man. First of all, Bryan and Punk should come in together. Second, there should be a third man. Third, it should be Bray. I think he should come in as the Creepy Windham/Rotunda Family member (like Dustin remains the eccentric Rhodes family member) sure and play up all that history and legacy. I think he has name value. I think he'll be able to tap into a chunk of the current WWE audience in a way Bryan and Punk wouldn't. I think there's a lot untapped there. I think he could round out a super indy type act with a ton of sports entertainment while still not going overboard with it. I'm all for leaning into the Kevin Sullivan side of things. You get to have merch for all of them plus some sort of central unifying piece of merch that will make a ton of money. You centralize everything so that you don't have three new acts diluting things but one central axis point/meteor strike that everything already there helps to revolve around.

AEW is all about having way too many factions in a good, enjoyable way. You can run these three (plus who ever they might pick up) as the danger inherent in the Door that brings everyone together. Then after a year and some sort of war blow off split it so each one gets their own faction or something.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Control said:

Look #1, please. Maybe his gimmick is “Beer League.”

Bring in Brion Milonas and the Beer City Bruiser then?

I always thought "Windham Rotunda" was a weird name, because those are two weird names and they're both last names as well; never liked people having two first names or two last names. Like, is his middle name his mother's maiden last name? 

You could pay me to go see WWE, sure. But unless you had a card with a WALTER vs. Timothy Thatcher main, Drew Gulak going broadway against somebody, a legit bloodfeast with somebody who could pull it off, brought back Lesnar to kill most of the roster, and Asuka vs. Shayna, then I wouldn't pay. Free bar included plus a limo to and from the venue. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Infinit said:

RE: who you would pay to watch in WWE

I'm surprised nobody said AJ yet.

Considering this is a Board of Olds, I’d bet most of us have seen AJ at some point already, and likely in a far more interesting context than hand-holding Omos through tag matches.

• Like 4

I'm having a very difficult time accepting this Bray Wyatt release -- not due to "budget cuts" or "management had nothing for you". Rather, it's about mental health.

Based on what we've read and heard, it's clear he was suffering due to Brodie Lee's passing. As we saw on social media and AEW Dynamite after his death, so many people loved Brodie and considered him a friend. Bray was paired up with him for years -- probably traveled together, spent time with each other's families, etc. Brodie was probably a family member in Bray's eyes, and his death was the equivalent of losing a sibling.

I have no clue what the WWE does to help its "independent contractors" with mental health issues, grief, loss and the like. But the fact the WWE made the decision to pretty much throw him out on his butt is quite troubling. Perhaps getting back into the ring full-time would have helped with closure -- who knows? 

It's hard to get into WWE nowadays given such recent behavior -- not punishing the one Uso for his DUI offenses, allegedly to "protect the possibility of a Reigns-Rock match", is truly baffling.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I know this is a sort of terrible take and I'm a little, just a tiny bit sorry for it, but Bray should be the third man. First of all, Bryan and Punk should come in together. Second, there should be a third man. Third, it should be Bray. I think he should come in as the Creepy Windham/Rotunda Family member (like Dustin remains the eccentric Rhodes family member) sure and play up all that history and legacy. I think he has name value. I think he'll be able to tap into a chunk of the current WWE audience in a way Bryan and Punk wouldn't. I think there's a lot untapped there. I think he could round out a super indy type act with a ton of sports entertainment while still not going overboard with it. I'm all for leaning into the Kevin Sullivan side of things. You get to have merch for all of them plus some sort of central unifying piece of merch that will make a ton of money. You centralize everything so that you don't have three new acts diluting things but one central axis point/meteor strike that everything already there helps to revolve around.

AEW is all about having way too many factions in a good, enjoyable way. You can run these three (plus who ever they might pick up) as the danger inherent in the Door that brings everyone together. Then after a year and some sort of war blow off split it so each one gets their own faction or something.

I like this very much. And they're not afraid to draw from history even if it didn't happen there, so you have a built in story with he and Danielson. 

Though, I must say, if they're going the "third man" route, there's a really good story to tell there if it were Cody.

And you know, obviously roster size is a concern, budgets are what they are and there's only so many spots, but I honestly don't think it's necessarily wrong or silly to examine the idea of whether or not theres money in bringing in the Bray/Rowan/Strowman unit.

Edit: Love, love, love the Butcher & Blade idea above also. They'd have some great interactions, he and Archer/Jake could do good stuff too. 

But as others have noted, I just hope the guys ok at this point

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Speaking for these guys being in a faction, I actually prefer if each were in their own factions. Bray should lead Bear Country, who need direction. CM Punk can lead The Acclaimed, who need the rub. Bryan, I’m not sure yet until I see what direction he’ll head in. Basically spread the wealth around.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Ahh yes because CM Punk is certainly who I think of when you say leader of a hip hop group based around killer dis tracks ?

Well, actually only one dude raps. They don’t need to match up that much, the only thing they need to be in common with Punk is their brashness with saying controversial things. Do we really need to just match them with another black person?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs