DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Woods could leave WWE, stream exclusively on Twitch and do indie shows or whatever, and probably make more money than he does in WWE. Also never underestimate the allure of complete creative freedom and a company that dominates the business you love firing some of your best friends (or firing others and mandating that you edit them out of a video game stream, fucking up the flow and your future plans for said channel/series).

• Like 6

I had no idea 205 Live was still a thing until I read this thread.

Next, you'll be telling me that Main Event is still on the air... somewhere.

Edit: I was sure Main Event had been canceled.  Nope, and apparently Karrion Kross was just on the show (not feeling sad about missing that).

Lol, what else is still on the air that I don't know about.

Edited by Eoae

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

I had no idea 205 Live was still a thing until I read this thread.

Next, you'll be telling me that Main Event is still on the air... somewhere.

It is, on hulu and peacock.

Xavier Woods' contract allegedly runs until 2024. Not sure what the six months comment is supposed to be about.

Lost in the (deserved) frothing hatred of corporate cost-cutting is the very real fact that all these releases have to do with an industry-wide talent surplus. This is the generation of talent that grew up watching the Attitude Era, 25-to-35 year olds who probably represent the biggest number of wrestlers than any generation is ever going to see. And yes, WWE panic-bought a lot of these guys and horded a lot of others when they thought they had a chance of keeping AEW off the ground. It does make plenty of sense.

But every batch of these releases features somebody that I just can't wrap my head around. Ever-Rise doesn't add up. Tyler Breeze is not a good look for locker room morale & the amount of eyes that are on UUDD. We know the bigwigs are ignorant to this stuff, but jeeeeez. And you wonder why Tony Khan & AEW are investing so much of their profits into the gaming market...

Did Xavier Woods ever finish his doctoral thesis?  I thought he had, but Google doesn't turn up anything conclusive.

He's well-educated, charismatic, and seems to understand how to market himself.  God help the rest of us if he can't figure out how to make money outside of the WWE.

• Like 1

There is a stat floating around the internet that the WWE had 340 wrestlers under contract across all their brands.

I don't know if that is 100% accurate but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'm guessing Nick Khan doesn't care about how much money UUDD generates for the company. 

When you have blood money from the Saudis and insane money deals with TV networks, who cares about expanding your footprint into other mediums?

Like I mentioned in the AEW thread - meanwhile, the other Khan invested $20 million into Epic Games (and $10m into the video game, apparently). I'm not trying to go the route of "hurr hurr AEW good WWE bad", but one clearly sees where the future is headed, and the other one just wants as much money as possible no matter how many murderers they have to deal with.

We can talk about an industry wide talent surplus, but it doesn't matter because in a few weeks/months, WWE is going to go on another hiring spree and announce another PC class, and then they'll fire some more people (and some of them might be hires from earlier this year). They're cutting talent and staff so the numbers look better for the next quarter, and when they do, they'll hire again, then cut again, then the next report will come out, rinse repeat. The "post 'Mania" release doesn't exist now, it's probably moving towards a "pre-quarter" cut every year.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

There is a stat floating around the internet that the WWE had 340 wrestlers under contract across all their brands.

I don't know if that is 100% accurate but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was

I saw one going around with the last set of cuts that they were a little over 300 and the cuts got them to like 285 or something like that.

They definitely have more talent signed than they can use consistently, and even with touring starting back, it doesn't sound like the 5 days a week touring schedule is ever coming back (which is probably a blessing for roster health). Although, you have to worry about the string of injuries that are bound to happen even with the current touring starting up in a couple weeks. 

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

I mean, at this point it's going to be the entire 205 Live roster, right?  Maybe minus the guys that they just debuted on there, but it seems like the show is toast.

This can't be good for Diamond Mine on NXT either as that stable is supposed to be CW Title focused. 

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Curious how many wrestlers were in WCW during its bloated worse.  When Lanny Poffo had a contract there