DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Night Dynamite - 6/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I think that was the most I have enjoyed Kenny in the ring since Dominion 6/9/18. They match up about as well as we were all expecting. That crowd was great all night, at least from what I saw (my wife has night shift so I was looking after the girls,but they kindly let me watch the whole main event match without interruption, which I appreciated).

Looking forward to watching the replay more closely, but for me at least that championship match totally lived up to my high expectations. I loved seeing Jungle Boy's family's reactions as well.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 7

Well he (Konnan) was strong enough to take a piledriver tonight! His mic work was best of all though. I thought he was doing good in Impact as LAX's mouthpiece on their last go-round but this was straight fire. "You're from North Carolina, where the men are men and the sheep are afraid", "That's Spanish, you might wanna learn it so you can communicate with your grandchildren", it's not often you get someone who can go over the top of Tully fucking Blanchard but he did it. 

This was my first time seeing Hobbs in singles and he looks strong, though the humidity was clearly wearing everyone out quick until later. Kris Statlander also looked real good, as did Ethan Page who is gonna be a blast working a coffin match. Miro saying "thank you God for keeping my hot wife flexible" was third best line of the night. And hey guess what, Kenny Omega is tolerable if you slow him down! That was probably the best match/my favorite match I've ever seen him in, and yes I've seen all the New Japan stuff. Jungle Boy is gonna be a big big star for them. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 6

Really felt like the right time to put the title on Jungle Boy, even if for just a short reign. I mean, it always feels like the right time to take a belt off Kenny Omega, therefore making him less of a focal point, but this REALLY felt like the right time. All this "end the show with heat" gets repetitive. Would've been a good idea to have the fans go home happy, especially since there's no way Miro is losing to Pillman Jr next week. This was another really solid show, with the weakness being the same as it always is; the EVP's being allowed to book themselves over everyone for reasons. I don't dislike them because they're doing good heel work. I dislike them because they make every show they're on worse with their shooty insider bullshit and their "Mormon kid after one day of detention" wanna be tough guy acts. They could all disappear off the face of the earth and the show would be a thousand times better. That isn't heel heat. That's the definition of "go away" heat.

• Like 3

Damn, that show delivered. That main event was probably the best Omega singles match I've seen in AEW. Jungle Boy was great out there.

The Konan/Tully interview segment also ruled, the Bunny/Statlander match was quite good, and Hobbs/Page gave me exactly what I wanted.

Real good show, this. Not even Vicky Guerrero could kill it.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

Really felt like the right time to put the title on Jungle Boy, even if for just a short reign. I mean, it always feels like the right time to take a belt off Kenny Omega, therefore making him less of a focal point, but this REALLY felt like the right time. All this "end the show with heat" gets repetitive. Would've been a good idea to have the fans go home happy, especially since there's no way Miro is losing to Pillman Jr next week. This was another really solid show, with the weakness being the same as it always is; the EVP's being allowed to book themselves over everyone for reasons. I don't dislike them because they're doing good heel work. I dislike them because they make every show they're on worse with their shooty insider bullshit and their "Mormon kid after one day of detention" wanna be tough guy acts. They could all disappear off the face of the earth and the show would be a thousand times better. That isn't heel heat. That's the definition of "go away" heat.

This nails my problem with the Elite: it smacks so hard of the NWO, and brings me right back to 1997. They have the same kind of heat with me to where it's on the verge of change the channel. These pricks gotta lose sometime and to the right people because if they drag it on any longer then it won't just be me upset, but the fanbase, and that won't be good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Top to bottom that was a damn good wrestling show. Lots of great in ring action, and very good storyline progression. No dead segments. Glad we only have to wait a few days for another episode!

Ps. Sammy really swung that chair aggressively...looked like he might have hurt Spears.

• Like 1

Damn good show, but I gotta put over Hobbs who wisely avoided a "Scott Steiner slams Christian Cage's head into the steps"-level potential botch. Dude's got endless potential, as do so many others on the roster. 

Miro fucken rules. 

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I could watch Powerhouse Hobbs wrestle Hangman Page a hundred times and probably never be bored. More of that please. Also, Kris Statlander and Orange Cassidy are adorable together.

I will add my voice to those frustrated with the Elite. I'll give them credit for being fantastic athletes, but personality-wise I just don't care. It's not that they're heels and I'm supposed to want to see them lose, it's that I just don't find them interesting in spite of what they can do in the ring and it's getting to the point where it's a detriment to the show for me as a viewer. When the rest of the show is as enjoyable as it is, but the top of the card have champions that I'm not interested in due to their personalities being insufferable, it's hard to justify watching the show past a certain point.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Sucks about Trent's injury, as Best Friends were some of the unsung heroes of AEW in the first year or so of TV before Trent's pec injury. Was hoping for them to get a tag title run at some point, but that may be well down the line now.

While I disagree with The Elite being anywhere near as bad as NWO 1997-1998, I would say that both Omega and the Bucks should be in the latter half of their title runs. Not sure if I would go with them both losing at All Out, but I would have Hangman beating Omega then (and great to see that Hangman was one of the most popular guys with a big audience again since he should start the title chase soon).

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This nails my problem with the Elite: it smacks so hard of the NWO, and brings me right back to 1997. They have the same kind of heat with me to where it's on the verge of change the channel. These pricks gotta lose sometime and to the right people because if they drag it on any longer then it won't just be me upset, but the fanbase, and that won't be good. 

It's just really frustrating because almost everything on this show that doesn't involve the Elite is so good. Even Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page, who I normally don't vibe on, were really good tonight. But ugh, Omega and the Bucks were just even more insufferable than usual tonight. Particularly the Bucks, who once again come off as Hall and Nash, if Hall and Nash were 5'8 and looked like Guitar Center employees...

• Like 4

Whoever is directing these "look at the camera and say your shit" backstage vignettes has the right idea. They read a lot different then the one-take cutaways we've been getting over the last year. Even the Bucks shittin' on Brandon was focused and coherent.

And when did Miro become the BEST PROMO IN THE WORLD? It's like if Nikita Koloff was an actual insane Lithuanian dude meets what children on Reddit (who have watched >10 Minoru Suzuki matches) think subtitled Minoru Suzuki promos sound like meets that one Key and Peele MMA sketch. If this version of Miro were the bad guy in any 80's action movie he would be more memorable than any protagonist. We need to name a constellation after him.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Whoever is directing these "look at the camera and say your shit" backstage vignettes has the right idea. They read a lot different then the one-take cutaways we've been getting over the last year. Even the Bucks shittin' on Brandon was focused and coherent.

And when did Miro become the BEST PROMO IN THE WORLD? It's like if Nikita Koloff was an actual insane Lithuanian dude meets what children on Reddit (who have watched >10 Minoru Suzuki matches) think subtitled Minoru Suzuki promos sound like meets that one Key and Peele MMA sketch. If this version of Miro were the bad guy in any 80's action movie he would be more memorable than any protagonist. We need to name a constellation after him.

If Miro was an 80s villain he'd be Bennett in Commando.

• Haha 2

Omega and Jungle Boy both continue to rip it up.  Great match.  Stoked for the Bucks and Kingston-Penta.  Geez, it really must be rough being one of you dudes watching these shows pretending to yourselves that Omega and the Bucks aren't as great as they prove nearly every time out. 

The Guevera entrance music and then run-in was a little or a lot silly.  The promo on MJF was well delivered, but incredibly lame.  

Tully/FTR-Konnan, Miro, Pillman, DMD, Bucks/Young Boy Cutler, Hangman-Hobbs and the wonderful Men of the Year all contributed in making this a fantastic show.  

Anybody catch JR's hilarious 'that takes testicles' line? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Omega and Jungle Boy both continue to rip it up.  Great match.  Stoked for the Bucks and Kingston-Penta.  Geez, it really must be rough being one of you dudes watching these shows pretending to yourselves that Omega and the Bucks aren't as great as they prove nearly every time out. 

The Guevera entrance music and then run-in was a little or a lot silly.  The promo on MJF was well delivered, but incredibly lame.  

Tully/FTR-Konnan, Miro, Pillman, DMD, Bucks/Young Boy Cutler, Hangman-Hobbs and the wonderful Men of the Year all contributed in making this a fantastic show.  

Anybody catch JR's hilarious 'that takes testicles' line? 

Clearly we have different definitions of "greatness." I'd like for tag team matches, particularly championship matches, to involve things like selling, psychology, and perhaps two guys who are 5'8, 185 on their best days not physically steamrolling two guys who look like Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston. The Bucks are "great" because they are allowed to book themselves that way. "Tony said sell!"

Kenny is interesting. In a vacuum, I understand his appeal. I just wish he was capable of having more than one match. Everything is exactly the same. Offense, sell, weird tap dance, comeback, shitty convoluted finish. And now that the Bucks and Omega are intertwined, it makes their smarky bullshit extra intolerable. The one word I wouldn't use to describe any of it is "great." Unless it's in the context of "oh, that Elite segment is finally over? Fuckin' great!"

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Geez, it really must be rough being one of you dudes watching these shows pretending to yourselves that Omega and the Bucks aren't as great as they prove nearly every time out.

Kenny Omega is exceptionally good at half of his job. I don't see how there's any controversy in that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Kenny Omega is exceptionally good at half of his job. I don't see how there's any controversy in that.

Controversy?  Nah, just a bit lame.  Suggesting he's a bad promo also seems like a message board gimmick.  

• Like 1

Jungle Boy is a fucking star. If he can put it together, promo wise, then the sky is the goddamn limit for him in AEW.

I echo the sentiment of “when did Miro become a really good promo?” because I’ve been loving his stuff as of late.

As for the argument of Omega and the Bucks should be in the back half of their reigns - I disagree on that for Omega, but I do think the Bucks will drop the titles sooner rather than later. Omega isn’t losing the title until the next PPV, minimum. And if it’s not Adam Page, then what are we even doing?

(I’m also not a fan of Omega’s promos, but I do admire that he cheeses it up like an 80s villain. I love insider shit in my wrestling so the Bucks are right up my alley ??)

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I much prefer Omega and YB as heels, but imo they just don't have as much gravitas personality-wise as others I would class as favourites. l'm looking forward to checking out the JB match.