DVDVR Message Board

Raw's Gonna Go To The Spirit in the Sky - 6/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Killer promo and direction for Nikki Cross. It's like she's becoming what Bayley was in NXT. I love that it's a NOT over-the-top superhero gimmick that's well explained. It's so utterly relatable for anyone who has had a rough go of things for a while and then manages to get back up on their feet and has that optimism return -- aka, almost everyone. She's not a superhero, but she has the spirit of someone who thinks they can take on the world. 

The audience always needs a character they can see the perspective of the story being told through the protagonist's eyes. Great examples of this are Sami Zayn and Bayley in NXT, Becky Lynch during her huge breakout moment, Dusty Rhodes, Jim Halpert and Pam on The Office, Elliot on Mr. Robot and some others. 

It's rare that the writers remember this. It's also not a WWE problem, but a writing problem in all mediums. Or, maybe people do remember it, but the performer isn't up to the task. 

But Nikki? She's here for it. I could absolutely see her headlining a major PPV with this persona.

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 3

I hope next week Piper Niven comes out and cuts a John Tenta-esque promo:

"I'M NOT A DEW DROP! I'M NOT A LITTLE DROP OF WATER! I'M A WOMAN! I AM PIPER NIVEN!!"

Edited by Infinit
Spelling
  • Haha 1

While this episode had its faults, it seemed like there was a lot more wrestling and less backstage/promo segment fuckery than normal. The matches also went for the amount of time they needed to instead of putting some 40 minute segment where a singles match turns into a tag team match halfway though.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, Infinit said:

I hope next week Piper Niven comes out and cuts a John Tenta-esque promo:

"I'M NOT A DEW DROP! I'M NOT A LITTLE DROP OF WATER! I'M A WOMAN! I AM PIPER NIVEN!!"

Wait, is it Dew Drop, or Dough Drop?

Are ALL the UK wrestlers on the main roster Scottish? Nikki, Drew, Viper, that's it, right?

nb: Sheamus isn't from the UK. He's from Eire, not Northern Ireland. None of Ireland is in Great Britain.

Edited by AxB
Got my countries mixed up, innit?

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Wait, is it Dew Drop, or Dough Drop?

Are ALL the British wrestlers on the main roster Scottish? Nikki, Drew, Viper, that's it, right?

nb: Sheamus isn't British. He's from Eire, not Northern Ireland.

Neither, since I've read Doudrop, which I in my mind make out to be like a dew drop, only fatter, since makes you think of dough drop, whatever that is. Which is why I think it's a horrible name and very much on-brand for WWE.