DVDVR Message Board

The Miami Dolphins Dumpster Fire Thread

Ryan

Some thoughts, now that we are (with any luck) at the point where the dumpster fire will start to burn itself out.

#1 - As the aggrieved party, Martin gets to handle this however he wants to.

Caveat - if his allegations turn out to be true. The evidence so far is predominantly in his favor. However, there's a lot of he said, he said going on. NFL investigators are investigating, Incognito's filed an official grievance and NFLPA is backing him up. I am as interested as anybody in seeing what else gets dug up.

#2 As Martin gets to handle this his way, it's too bad so sad for the Dolphins that they have lost (possibly permanently) two starting offensive linemen,and suffered massive disruption. Better control over the locker room would have avoided this.

#3 Because of the way Martin handled this, his chances of getting another job in the NFL are lessened dramatically. Maybe he doesn't care about that. It's his decision, but it doesn't look like other NFL clubs are looking to bring him in. I could be wrong on this, of course, and welcome any evidence to the contrary. Incognito's chances of getting another job in the NFL because of this are probably a touch lower, but not more than that. Teams that don't and never wanted him (thinking specifically of the Colts and Dungy's statement that Incognito was on their do not draft because of character list) still don't want him. Teams that would sign  him are still there (with the possible exception of Miami).

#4 As mentioned, Martin gets to handle it however he wants. The fact remains that there were other ways to handle it, ways that might have solved the issue and kept him on the team. I am not saying necessarily that, if things were  that bad, Martin popping Incognito in the snoot gets everybody a happy ending, but that's certainly a possible outcome. Maybe a personal conversation in which salty sailor talk was used early and often, or a public statement that Martin wasn't going to take it anymore, and the next guy who tried something was going to regret it would have worked. It's all speculation at this point, but what's absolutely true is that Martin's professional lively hood is in more jeopardy with his actual course of action than it might have  been otherwise.

#5 Final speculation - Given that Martin is as big as he is, it might well be that he never got picked on prior to going to Dolphins. I have no idea how I would have responded to being picked on for the first time at age 23, rather than at age 6, and continuing into my early-mid teens. I think the people who are asking the question "Why didn't he just hit him"? are those who had to figure out what to do at a much earlier age, and whether or not it worked out for them.

Kudos to the gentleman who came up with the thread title. It's gold.

Cowboy Wally

• Like 1

The two teams that have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Martin are Indianapolis and San Francisco.  Both have strong Stanford ties--Indy with OC Pep Hamilton with Andrew Luck as QB and Coby Fleener as TE, and SF with former Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh in charge and being a stone's throw from Palo Alto.  I'm not sure either team is interested, though.

And Andrew Luck was one of the Stanford guys who came out strongly in support of Martin so the QB having his back would definitely help.

And I think Chuck Pagano would be a perfect coach to help him.

But them having interest is a totally different story

Honestly, I think the far more interesting list is the one for Incognito when/if he gets released. 

Assuming he doesn't get suspended by Goddell for the rest of the season, I can easily see Denver picking him up as you can never have enough protection for Peyton's brittle ankles.  Or even the Patriots as Dr. Evil will just take the entire Dolphins playbook out of him.

And Andrew Luck was one of the Stanford guys who came out strongly in support of Martin so the QB having his back would definitely help.

And I think Chuck Pagano would be a perfect coach to help him.

But them having interest is a totally different story

I think they'll look at the possiblity.  The Colts' O-line is shoddy and Luck takes way too many hits for any fan to be comfortable.  If they he can help and Luck vouches for him, Irsay and Grigson will at least consider it.  Not saying it will happen, but the door is open, ever so slightly.

For using the phrase "noble Patriots", I'm giving you some warning points, once I figure out how to use more than the pin and unlock buttons!!!!!

Especially given the lack of shit your giving the common enemy of all mankind, the JEST. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Richie Incognito and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to continue Richie's suspension, only now, he'll be paid. 

This avoids all CBA problems the Dolphins had and pretty much puts the findings of the interminable investigation as the only thing left....

...Until of course, Martin files a workplace harrassment complaint against the Dolphins and the NFL. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, the latest report:  Incognito will have his suspension with pay extended to the end of the season.  At which point he becomes a free agent and will go to another team.   

Martin is also gone.  He'll be traded to the highest bidder (lol).   When (not if) the Dolphins receive no offers for him, they will release him where someone may snatch him up on the cheap.  Though interest has been lukewarm.

The independent report was originally expected around today, now it's not expected until after the Super Bowl.  No one knows what the findings will be, but yesterday was the first time I've ever read that "Incognito's actions did not amount to/constitute bullying" is a possible finding. 

tumblr_m8ikt7UA271r81wtbo1_500.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I don't care.  Ireland is out.  Haters gonna hate.  

Kittens gonna kitten.

241.gif.pagespeed.ce.jR6QFl8Q02.gif

For the record, I knew about Dawn Aponte before this. She is essentially doing the hard part of the GM's job (cutting players for cap space, deciding who to draft, taking heat for personnel decisions, etc.) and played bad cop to Ireland's good cop. She's an iron-clad bitch.  No questions asked, but she's good at her job. And frankly, she's not going to ask potential draft picks if their mom's were prostitutes or tell victims of mental torture to suck it up.  

Mark my words, she will be the first female GM in the NFL by the end of the decade.

• Like 1

I don't care.  Ireland is out.  Haters gonna hate.  

Kittens gonna kitten.

241.gif.pagespeed.ce.jR6QFl8Q02.gif

For the record, I knew about Dawn Aponte before this. She is essentially doing the hard part of the GM's job (cutting players for cap space, deciding who to draft, taking heat for personnel decisions, etc.) and played bad cop to Ireland's good cop. She's an iron-clad bitch.  No questions asked, but she's good at her job. And frankly, she's not going to ask potential draft picks if their mom's were prostitutes or tell victims of mental torture to suck it up.  

Mark my words, she will be the first female GM in the NFL by the end of the decade.

What was Amy Trask's title in oakland? Prez?