DVDVR Message Board

Money In The Bank XII - 7/18/2021

Dolfan in NYC

We all knew the Kingston was going to be treated like a geek by someone.   We just kind of hoped it was with Lesnar or Goldberg and not already with Lashley.  

Like that the MITB winners are someone completely out of nowhere.  Nikki was a complete shock to me but a very pleasant one.  My worry is that this will lead to week of Bliss trying to use hypnosis to get the briefcase.  I wouldn't be surprised if she gets the Otis treatment .  Big E was the logical choice but when you have Drew and Rollins it seemed unlikely

So did I hear this right but is Edge now the newest originator of the Money in the Bank concept?   Hopefully it is just Cole screwing up again.   Other than that the level of drunken Jericho rant will be on Wednesday is going to be off the charts delusional

The other thing kind of surprising is that apparently Drew McIntyre is not over at all with the fans.   Maybe this is a case of being shoved down our throats but you can say that for a ton of people in this company now

Edited by hammerva

I think Drew makes for a good heel, but jovial smilin' babyface Drew isn't someone I'm going to go out of my way to watch.

Pleasantly surprised Big E won.  Hopefully, this is the beginning of a better push for him.  Meltzer thinks Roman is keeping the belt at least until he wrestles the Rock, so a jump to Raw to "avenge" Kofi and take Lashley's title makes some sense.  Hopefully E uses the contract to force Lashley into a match.  I'm not a big fan of babyfaces cashing in and catching the champion off-guard while he's in the middle of a match with someone else.

Nice win for Nikki, but I don't really believe she'll keep the briefcase long enough to cash in, much less be successful.  Alexis voodoo'ing it from her seems more likely.

The metal rod-assisted crossface spot has already worn out its welcome with me.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

The other thing kind of surprising is that apparently Drew McIntyre is not over at all with the fans.   Maybe this is a case of being shoved down our throats but you can say that for a ton of people in this company now

I think the Fort Worth crowd was just a weird one in general last night. You could hear it was a bit of a younger crowd too. I think the lack of RAW viewership in general showed last night in crowd reactions. It's also what happens when you're basically a year and a half sans normal fan reactions. I think the crowd stuff is going to be weird for a few weeks for WWE. 

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Women's MITB missed a lot of opportunities with supernatural Alexa. It's pretty hard to find new things to do with ladder matches in 2021, but Alexa using her powers to lower/raise the case or doing more mind control stuff like against Zelina while the field scrambles for answers would've been fun. Also would've been a good way to put over Nikki's superhero character to bring her down (or clumsily stumble into something that puts her down if Nikki is supposed to be the Hurricane Helms type of hero). Instead they just made everyone else look like idiots as Nikki used the novel strategy of "actually try to grab the case."

The way she disappeared Monday night, I figured she wouldn’t show up until the finish of women’s MITB where the lights would cut out and when they came back she’d be sitting atop the ladder with that smirk and everyone else would be either gone or unconscious. That’s what I would’ve pitched based on this past weeks RAW. 

I figure there’s only about a 50/50 chance Nikki gets to cash in that briefcase herself. I anticipate shenanigans. 

So, the rumored Summerslam match for Lashley is Goldberg. We all know what Big E’s dream match is. There’s two reasons why Big E should cash in that night.

lazy ass writing to have the women’s tag champs in the MITB match. Tamina kicking yaks in the face will never not be funny to me. 

Mens MITB match was really good, though I can’t say I’m excited about “Seth Rollins push #6,784.” Jinder Mahal remains Raw’s biggest babyface after his guys put Drew Mac out. Big E winning was the right call, which is why I remain so shocked that wwe went through with it. Hopefully they finally pull the trigger on the guy. In an era where they actually wanted transcendent, mainstream stars, his charisma makes him a natural fit. Now, it’s almost worked against him. No more, hopefully. 

Main was good, though it got messy & overbooked. Cena showing up after was dope. Looking forward to that.

Edited by just drew

I love Big E referencing how New Day has been talking about being buried together in one giant burial plot.

Funnily - on the episode that just dropped (that was taped maybe a week ago), Woods was talking about how being in New Day taught him about how family isn't just the people you are related too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Pleasantly surprised Big E won.  Hopefully, this is the beginning of a better push for him.  Meltzer thinks Roman is keeping the belt at least until he wrestles the Rock, so a jump to Raw to "avenge" Kofi and take Lashley's title makes some sense.  Hopefully E uses the contract to force Lashley into a match.  I'm not a big fan of babyfaces cashing in and catching the champion off-guard while he's in the middle of a match with someone else.

That's what I think will happen. Big E defeats Bobby Lashley for the WWE Championship and by doing so reunites The New Day on RAW. Roman Reigns will become the longest reigning WWE Universal Champion ever beating Brock Lesnar's first reign when he only showed up sporadically.

11 hours ago, Morganti said:

The New Days genuine love for each other as brothers always comes through no matter the medium.

Very much the theme of this weeks podcast episode. 

edit: yeah, what Phil said before I posted. This weeks episode has a great story about Woods “almost blinding” kofi for an episode of Swerved. 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I think Drew makes for a good heel, but jovial smilin' babyface Drew isn't someone I'm going to go out of my way to watch.

WWE turns all of their top babyfaces into smilin', milquetoast, boring, pieces of shit. All of these guys are infinitely better when they're just allowed to beat someone's ass. It's rare when the "smilin" shtick works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, just drew said:

So, the rumored Summerslam match for Lashley is Goldberg. We all know what Big E’s dream match is. 

??? I have no idea who Big E's dream opponent is.  Goldberg?  Lashley?  Shane (plz no).  From the context, I'm guessing it's Goldberg, but if someone wants to confirm that, I won't mind.

Tamina kicking yaks in the face will never not be funny to me. 

#SettledownStevieRaynetico

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eoae said:

??? I have no idea who Big E's dream opponent is.  Goldberg?  Lashley?  Shane (plz no).  From the context, I'm guessing it's Goldberg, but if someone wants to confirm that, I won't mind.

#SettledownStevieRaynetico

It's Goldberg. Came up on the pod pre pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, just drew said:

Mens MITB match was really good, though I can’t say I’m excited about “Seth Rollins push #6,784.”

I don't know if I'd call a feud with 50 year old Edge a push. Seems like a classic "we have no idea what to do with these guys right now feud." Both main titles have clear trajectories that don't involve Rollins despite his obsession over it. In fact his current character mirrors 2004 "you screwed me" Edge, who was an upper midcard presence, but still a year and a half away from the title.

Unrelated, but I have questions about NBC's standards and practices. They let Lashley say "bullshit" unedited, but do an awkward blackout of Charlotte throwing up a middle finger?

Edited by Go2Sleep

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

Like that the MITB winners are someone completely out of nowhere.  Nikki was a complete shock to me but a very pleasant one.

Nikki has actually been getting a push for the last 6-8 weeks now. Honestly, with as many times as she beat Charlotte and Rhea, she really should have already been given a title shot.

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

So did I hear this right but is Edge now the newest originator of the Money in the Bank concept? 

I thought they were talking about Edge being the first winner?

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Nikki has actually been getting a push for the last 6-8 weeks now. Honestly, with as many times as she beat Charlotte and Rhea, she really should have already been given a title shot.

Meltzer was saying on the radio show this morning that one of the WWE's top goals again is getting Charlotte to 17 title reigns so he fully expects Nikki to successfully cash in on her (Charlotte) at some point

This card exposed the best of WWE. Also the worst.

Best: No one does moment-crowd pops like WWE.  Cena's return was off-the-charts. (even with the hysterical oversell by Cole and crew). That one or two seconds of "wait, what? OMG!" is great.

Worst: When they did the Rollins interview they just killed the main event. KILLED it. THey might as well have put up a giant flashing sign that said "Hi. I'm Seth Rollins. I'm going to do what's called a "run-in" and cost Edge the title against Roman Reigns in the main event. Don't bother watching it or getting invested in it." (and yes, I did that reference deliberately)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

It's Goldberg. Came up on the pod pre pandemic.

I have an office next to my supervisor.  He now knows I haven't been doing shit for the past 20 min.  I crack up every time I see this & Big E gets to "BIG MEATY MEN SLAPPING MEAT!" part.

• Like 2

First off let me get this off my chest. I fucking love the new day. They are me in a nut shell being geeky black dudes.  

With that being said.  Big meaty men slappin meat is one of the best most useful phrases to describe hoss fights I've ever heard and still use it to describe matches to my wrestling loving friends to this day.  That and meat festival.

• Like 7