DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Any West Brom/Celtic/Leipzig fans around? How Oli Burke blagged a career in football is beyond me. He can run very fast. That's it. 

Blades looking poor against Swansea.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

To put that into context, Alan Shearer's transfer to Newcastle adjusted for inflation was 25m pounds v 35m pounds for Abraham. Mental price tag for a guy who looks like Bambi on ice most of the time.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

R. I. P. Gerd Mueller, legendary striker of the late 60ies and the 70ies, who had battled Alzheimer's disease during the last few years.

Mueller was a long time record holder for most goals in a single Bundesliga season (40 goals in 1971/72, broken by Lewandowski's 41 goals last season) as well as most goals as a German National (68 goals, broken by Miroslav Klose in 2014 after 40 years). He was also the record holder for most World Cup goals scored at 14 from 1974 to 2006. He is still the most successful overall goalscorer in the Bundesliga with 365 goals scored (in 427 appearances). He was the attacker for the German World Cup squads 1970 and 1974 (3rd place & Champions) aswell as 1972's European championship winners. Probably the greatest goal poacher of all time. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

R. I. P. Gerd Mueller, legendary striker of the late 60ies and the 70ies, who had battled Alzheimer's disease during the last few years.

Mueller was a long time record holder for most goals in a single Bundesliga season (40 goals in 1971/72, broken by Lewandowski's 41 goals last season) as well as most goals as a German National (68 goals, broken by Miroslav Klose in 2014 after 40 years). He was also the record holder for most World Cup goals scored at 14 from 1974 to 2006. He is still the most successful overall goalscorer in the Bundesliga with 365 goals scored (in 427 appearances). He was the attacker for the German World Cup squads 1970 and 1974 (3rd place & Champions) aswell as 1972's European championship winners. Probably the greatest goal poacher of all time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

The oldest football club in the world still active - Sheffield FC - will appear on national TV for the first time on 21st August when they face Sherwood Colliery in the FA Cup preliminary round. Go on lads!

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Ronaldo Vieira apparently fails a medical for Sheffield United, robbing the Blades of someone who would be the best-named United player ever.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Virtual hug to @Jimbo_Tsuruta as West Bromwich Albion beat Sheffield United 4-0 last night. The Blades are in the relegation zone. Early days though.

Team needs a major overhaul, too many players carrying mental baggage and others just not cutting it any more. Never mind last season, this team has been on the slide since the Covid break. Brewster, McBurnie and Berge cost 60m+ between them and United may as well play mannequins in their place. Ramsdale is off to Arsenal apparently, he's leaving a sinking ship, good luck to him.

Blades are running out of time to inject fresh blood into the side, it's been the usual shite transfer window so far, only Ben Davies to show for it. Relegation is a real possibility unless some new faces with skill and passion turn up.

Bradford City have started well, maybe switching the colours around is a good luck charm 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

Getting off the Titanic just in time to cadge a lift on the Lusitania.

I wish I could look forward to a trip to Arsenal next year but a trip to Accrington looks more likely at the moment.

3 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Team needs a major overhaul, too many players carrying mental baggage and others just not cutting it any more. Never mind last season, this team has been on the slide since the Covid break. Brewster, McBurnie and Berge cost 60m+ between them and United may as well play mannequins in their place. Ramsdale is off to Arsenal apparently, he's leaving a sinking ship, good luck to him.

Blades are running out of time to inject fresh blood into the side, it's been the usual shite transfer window so far, only Ben Davies to show for it. Relegation is a real possibility unless some new faces with skill and passion turn up.

Bradford City have started well, maybe switching the colours around is a good luck charm 

I'm concerned you'll drop down the divisions again as Bradford City did. Phil Parkinson did a great job with the Capital One Cup run as a League 2 side beating Arsenal and Aston Villa getting to the final losing to Swansea who are on my shit list ever since. Same season we beat Northampton 3-0 in the League 2 Play Off. City also pulled off the biggest FA Cup shock ever beating Chelsea 2-4 at Stamford Bridge from 2-0 down. Stuart McCall was appointed after in his second spell and he did a good job but Edin Rahic really fucked it up and to a lesser extent, Stefan Rupp the co-chairman. McCall was sacked. Yeah, good start to the season for the Bantams. Long may it continue!

2 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Getting off the Titanic just in time to cadge a lift on the Lusitania.

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I wish I could look forward to a trip to Arsenal next year but a trip to Accrington looks more likely at the moment.

LOL. You need gallows humour at times. Talking with a Leeds fan today saying the highs and lows in supporting a football team.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm concerned you'll drop down the divisions again as Bradford City did. Phil Parkinson did a great job with the Capital One Cup run as a League 2 side beating Arsenal and Aston Villa getting to the final losing to Swansea who are on my shit list ever since. 

That’s how I feel about Brentford after Swansea didn’t really bother to show up in the playoff final last season. Some Swansea fans feel you might have some competition for relegation as it’s been a rough first few games under Russell Martin. The Swans haven’t looked too sharp and the signings they have made aren’t household names. We’ll see how much patience Martin gets from ownership and what he can get out of a youngish squad and how Ethan Laird develops while on loan from Man U.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
32 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

That’s how I feel about Brentford after Swansea didn’t really bother to show up in the playoff final last season. Some Swansea fans feel you might have some competition for relegation as it’s been a rough first few games under Russell Martin. The Swans haven’t looked too sharp and the signings they have made aren’t household names. We’ll see how much patience Martin gets from ownership and what he can get out of a youngish squad and how Ethan Laird develops while on loan from Man U.

Losing the likes of Ayew could really haunt the Swans. Hopefully!

Some of you may have seen the horrifying video of a military cargo plane taking off from Kabul with desperate Afghan men hanging off the wheel well...  and a couple even more horrifyingly falling to their deaths when the plane took off.  

One of them was apparently Zaki Anwari, a 19 year old member of the Afghan Under 21 National Team.  

E9Kbvh1XsAgi0mG?format=jpg&name=medium

• Sad 2