DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/18/2021

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I think the names I mentioned would be appropriate for each of those tournaments.  The G1 is a gruelling run that is potentially hazardous.  Sending an Omega or even Moxley again (which was hazardous) wouldn't make sense.  But sending an upper mid card guy like Sammy might make sense.  

BOSJ is at the level of the competitors I mentioned and NJPW Is well aware of this.  So too the level of talent I've suggested for there very very very weak tag division.  Hence why the World Tag League would be a great place for the 'Undefeated Colton Gunn' and his brother Austin to shine.  Heck, work the Freebird rules and get the Bad Ass in there too!  

I don't expect any of these guys to win.  NJPW putting over a gaijin from another company in the G1 or really any of these tournaments wouldn't make much sense.  But they could have strong tournaments without winning.    

The last time NJPW used Billy Gunn he stunk up the joint hard.  I doubt they'd want to give him another shot.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alstein said:

NJPW would want a name, not a jobber.  Those names would be like NJPW sending Henare to be a threat to Miro.

NJPW and AEW are equals.

For G1, I'd send Miro  , Wardlow, and Hager.

Aw shit. Can we get Henare to die at the hands of Miro?

The Gunn Club might expect a push when they come back from Japan…

Sending guys like Bear Country might be a good way to transition into professional looking gear.  There is unprofessional all over the AEW roster from A to Z.  

When you look at WWE rosters they just are more aesthetically pleasing than the hodge podge of great to quite amateur range in AEW.  There has always been a tradition of gaijin debuting new gear on/before/after their tour regardless.

• Like 1

I wouldn't send Miro to the G1 unless he was going to finish as at least a Block runner-up. But that should be a manageable compromise. Same goes for Mox, obviously.

Send Andrade if Tetsuya Naito has enough of a neck to reheat and a proper Ingobernable reunion isn't hampered by politics. Or Penta 'n Fenix, cause they'll just go nuts and the booking won't matter in the end. Young big men like Powerhouse Hobbs or Wardlow if you need a big gaijin jobber (and you do). My pick would be PAC, after Kenny of course. Brian Cage is right their as a shiny new Elgin. Not anybody too old (Christian, Jericho), not unestablished unheavyweights (Darby, Sammy, JB), not anyone who couldn't take the schedule and travel (Hager, Cody), not anybody who shouldn't be losing (Page), not anybody who will be hamstrung by not being able to promo (MJF, Kingston).

Honestly, AEW should go nuts in the Real World Tag League and an AEW team should win it. Give something for the odds and ends of that division to do and maybe find a way to make that tournament mean something for once.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

8 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

The Gunn Club might expect a push when they come back from Japan…

Sending guys like Bear Country might be a good way to transition into professional looking gear.  There is unprofessional all over the AEW roster from A to Z.  

When you look at WWE rosters they just are more aesthetically pleasing than the hodge podge of great to quite amateur range in AEW.  There has always been a tradition of gaijin debuting new gear on/before/after their tour regardless.

Indeed, AEW has a long way to go.  Isn't the seamstress married to a Buck or somebody related to an EVP?  I assume her work is technically proficient, but the designs are more often than not very tacky (tho it is wrestling).  The overall AEW presentation could also use an improvement.  Moving away from the tired Nu Metal opening theme and having a more aesthetically pleasing commentator's table are two glaring examples.

I get why somebody would want to see a top star in the G1, but that tournament is so gruelling.  Bigger stars should only really work big shows and maybe a lead in to said big show.   G1 would have to be guys who could really benefit from having a good tournament.  Not sure, as great as it would be to see Miro work the G1, that he would benefit enough to risk the wear and tear.  Whoever they send they aren't likely winning, but they are likely coming home with bruises and injuries for months following.  Hence the reason it should be a younger or upper mid card performer.  I like the suggestion of Powerhouse Hobbs.  In general, a lot of younger AEW talent could benefit from some NJPW tours, and I hope that happens post-pandy.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Indeed, AEW has a long way to go.  Isn't the seamstress married to a Buck or somebody related to an EVP?  I assume her work is technically proficient, but the designs often very tacky (tho it is wrestling). 

Their seamstress is Sandra Gray, who got her start doing gear for Johnny B. Badd back in the day before transitioning into doing work for more WCW wrestlers and, eventually, working for WWE as well.  If you're interested in AEW's podcast, they had her on for a pretty fun and interesting interview a few weeks ago.

It's a weird take that Bear Country, of all roster members, have unprofessional-looking gear.  They have pretty decent-looking singlets and actual wrestling boots.  It's not like they're in T shirts, trashbag pants, and kickpads.  I'm pretty critical of people's gear (Brock Anderson's tights were horrible) but I have no problem with theirs.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Isn't the seamstress married to a Buck or somebody related to an EVP?  I assume her work is technically proficient, but the designs are more often than not very tacky (tho it is wrestling). 

The woman that designs a lot of the shirts is the one married to Matt Jackson.  She's been doing that since the Bucks started making merch especially when they inked the deal with Pro Wrestling Tees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's a weird take that Bear Country, of all roster members, have unprofessional-looking gear.  They have pretty decent-looking singlets and actual wrestling boots.  It's not like they're in T shirts, trashbag pants, and kickpads.  I'm pretty critical of people's gear (Brock Anderson's tights were horrible) but I have no problem with theirs.

I've never had any issue with Bear Country's wrestling gear. I'm still a bit perplexed by their masks and what they are supposed to be.

instagram: bear bronson | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I've never had any issue with Bear Country's wrestling gear. I'm still a bit perplexed by their masks and what they are supposed to be.

instagram: bear bronson | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

The masks are what throw me off the most. They have a weird as hell, bigfoot, mountain man creature, creepy vibe to them, but Bear Country themselves aren't a creepy act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The woman that designs a lot of the shirts is the one married to Matt Jackson.  She's been doing that since the Bucks started making merch especially when they inked the deal with Pro Wrestling Tees.

Mrs Matt designs tne shirts, but the Bucks' gear is made by Mrs Cutler. Which is why Brandon Cutler's gear (before the young boy tracksuit gimmick) always looked more main event than prelim jobber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The AEW gear is okay. I never meant to single   any particular seamstress, damn.  When you look at AEW wrestlers they look like wrestlers and athletes.  When you see WWE they look like super heroes.  Everything is personalized and custom suited. Maybe it is an unfair comparison to make.  I don’t like to compare the two promotions like that.  

I mention Bear Country because they just look funny.  What are those helmets supposed to be?  IIRC, they don’t have any logos or personalized markings on their outfits.  They had good Indy-looking gear.  This isn’t Reseda where only hundreds are going to see them like.PWG.  Before AEW places like PWG or the old Evolve or 2000s-era ROH are where I preferred my favourite talents to work.  

Maybe I shouldn’t have been so sweeping with my statements.  It is probably more like a quarter of the wrestlers.  A lot of them are the younger guys and gals.  They need their name somewhere on their suit/trunks/singlets.  It has to look like what they wear is part of them. There is a decent amount of wrestlers who look like professional wrestlers.  Then there is a percentage that looks like they bought their stuff off the rack.  

Bear County's masks are pretty clearly supposed to be someone's face smushed in a bear trap. I can't say I get how that relates to their gimmick or who they are as characters (but I also haven't seen enough of their work to comment if they tie it in or not). Bear County / bear traps. That part is going over people's heads it seems.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I mention Bear Country because they just look funny.  What are those helmets supposed to be?  IIRC, they don’t have any logos or personalized markings on their outfits.  They had good Indy-looking gear.  This isn’t Reseda where only hundreds are going to see them like.PWG.  Before AEW places like PWG or the old Evolve or 2000s-era ROH are where I preferred my favourite talents to work.  

?  I think those are logos (on their singlets AND kneepads, to boot!) but I could be wrong.  This is at an indy show, too!  Pretty sure that's Electric Haze, former home of Beyond Wrestling.

lbe7jh14xgc51.jpg

Also, I've seen decent gear watching PWG.  It's not like Bandido wears a brown paper bag when he wrestles there or Gresham leaves his crazy ornate octopus gear at home when he travels west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elizium said:

I guarantee that's not how New Japan sees it

I suspect NJPW is going to have to learn to love it, because AEW is not ROH or CMLL.  This is why I think NJPW didn't want to work with AEW at all to begin with, they knew it had the chance to blow up, and that would seriously hurt their business.  Until 2019 WWE and NJPW were the promised land for Americans.

Either that or NJPW's gaijin talent will either have to be homegrown or come from ROH/MLW, with AEW and WWE picking off the best talent for themselves.  An AEW contract is a lot less wear and tear than working for NJPW, and probably more money as well.

Edited by alstein

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Their seamstress is Sandra Gray, who got her start doing gear for Johnny B. Badd back in the day before transitioning into doing work for more WCW wrestlers and, eventually, working for WWE as well.  If you're interested in AEW's podcast, they had her on for a pretty fun and interesting interview a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info.

Certainly Bear Country have ‘Wrestling gear’.  Further, the AEW roster all look like wrestlers, but they under estimate what a tasteful costume designer would mean to their talent and product.  The guys and gals too often do not look ‘cool’.  Bear Country is a good example for this convo as they look very generic (after the goofy masks r off).  Generic not to be confused with simple.  Simple can be great - eg. Stone Cold Steve Austin.  Gawdy styles can work too - see the Jacksons.  Attire when perfectly suited brings the whole presentation together.  Some r hitting that mark in AEW.  A lot could use to improve.  Bringing in a tasteful eyed designer outside of the wrestling bubble would be a smart move. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

?  I think those are logos (on their singlets AND kneepads, to boot!) but I could be wrong.  This is at an indy show, too!  Pretty sure that's Electric Haze, former home of Beyond Wrestling.

lbe7jh14xgc51.jpg

Also, I've seen decent gear watching PWG.  It's not like Bandido wears a brown paper bag when he wrestles there or Gresham leaves his crazy ornate octopus gear at home when he travels west. 

Okay, point taken on BC’s gear.  I guess I just don’t really like the cut of their singlets.   They are one of my favourite teams in AEW. Their gimmick, in my mind, just doesn’t seem fully developed. It is also simultaneously a more developed appearance than a majority of gimmicks coming up to the big leagues.  

I honestly haven’t watched a PWG match since the December 2016 show.  Mike Bailey was in PWG back then or maybe 2015.  His look back then screamed kid-cosplays-in-pjs.  For the most part PWG wrestlers have great gear.  

I used Reseda as an example of somewhere the fans wouldn’t care too much about duller gear.  The widest reaches of the PWG audiences just cares about the matches and the quality of said matches.  The audience that AEW attracts will obsess over Jericho’s lack of fitness.  Most regular PWG fans would take Jericho’s appearance in stride.  He’s a 50 year old with 30 years experience.  He would be viewed in a much more forgiving manner than the throngs who hit the net at 10pm EST on Wednesday nights and rip on every little mistake AEW is allegedly performing. 

There are a lot of the Indy talent looks like they would be more suited for teaching Yoga and not throwing punches and spinning toe holds.  I don’t want to go over the look of the female wrestlers in too much depth. They seem to be some of the best examples to make the Indy/AEW gear comparison though.  I am not talking about working more sex appeal into their presentation either.  Some look like they are modestly going to the gym for a workout.    They would be better suited to look like the wrestlers who own the gyms.  It is too difficult to compare the big league presentation that goes into Asuka’s look and style with the weekend warrior yet functional way that the great Serena Deeb dresses. Without tripping land mines like body shape or matching gear with the personality of the individual 

I’m not arguing to take people off TV/Dark episodes.  I have just always thought AEW talent didn’t look as individually recognizable as WWE wrestlers are.  I don’t mean that with respect to the obvious advantage established  with WWE talent versus AEW’s relative newness and their handicap of introducing new faces to the core viewing public.  That is a jumbled mess of a way to say something that seems so simple in my head.

Then again I am legally blind.  It’s possible I’m seeing things that aren’t there or I am missing details - such as better looks at Bear Country’s gear and logos.

I'm a pretty big gear freak and I think most of the AEW roster proper looks decent. I don't necessarily like all the gear, but I don't think they look small time or nothing. A lot of the wrestlers have had noticeable gear upgrades in the last year.

The Dark Order is the main one for me that need upgrades. Other than Uno and Stu, their gear and masks look super cheap. Especially noticeable with 10's dumb Joker (?) mask. Chuck Taylor also could use a new look. I'm not one of those people that think he should wrestle in a shirt, but his tights are always pretty bland and don't really make him pop out onscreen, especially when he's beside Statlander and Orange. He's got a Jake the Snake legs and long black tights don't help him at all.

Otherwise, I think AEW is good at giving everyone a distinctive look, its certainly not the kickpads and black trunks brigade of the early 2010s.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

I haven't seen him wrestle in a while since I don't watch the YouTube shows but I think Chuck's rocking the Bret Hart long tights and singlet top look now. 

I agree 10's mask looks really bad.

Cody's tights are especially crappy as well.  They have these asymmetrical designs on them, like a band around one thigh but not the other, one leg a different color, a design over one kneepad, that somebody here said were some sort of Zelda reference or some shit but, yeah, okay.  Also, the crotch of his gear is a different color or pattern, so it makes it look like he's wearing a codpiece.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I haven't seen him wrestle in a while since I don't watch the YouTube shows but I think Chuck's rocking the Bret Hart long tights and singlet top look now.

You are correct, I forgot about the singlet top. That looks decent. His tights are usually black with like a stripe down the sides and Kentucky Gentleman written in script on the butt. Considering how lighthearted the Best Friends are presented as a group, I wish he had a little more fun with his look. I'd love if he used the chibi-style characters they've used for merch as part of a bright colourful design on his tights.

Minor criticism but I sometimes think they should ask some of the jobbers they bring in to tone their looks down . I get that it’s indy guys/girls just trying to stand out, but occasionally the likes of Ryzin or whoever will look like a bigger, more interesting character than their squasher. I’d like some of these guys to embrace their jobber status and get some generic, ill-fitting singlets.

Its been explained why and it’s a non-issue now with the young boy look but similarly, Cutler’s old gear with the face paint, dragon mask and entrance jacket felt like something that could have been saved for someone bigger as a special ppv look or something.

Hobbs is someone who I think low-key made a big upgrade in his gear after moving to Team Taz. The singlet is a much better look for his body type and he looks pretty great now.

• Like 1

Hold on one second. You're telling me that the Bear Country masks aren't Ed Gein inspired? ?

Agreed on Hobbs looking great in the Taz singlet with boots. Great look for him. 

I think Chuck Taylors singlet looks a lot better for his body type, I've always thought Serena Deebs gear (such as the recent buy in match) looks great and she really looks like an athlete which helps. 

One person who needs better gear is Leyla Hirsh love her work but looks like she just got outta gym class. Plus someone who throws suplexes like that should be mandated to wear a smart looking singlet 

• Like 2

The Dark Order should gift Pres10 with a professional looking mask design before he gets sent over for the G1.  He can still have goofy stuff on it , just look at Lucia masks over the years.  5 & 10 both need more traditional looking masks.  Giving 10 a storyline reason and he will be taken more seriously.  

Is it right that gear matters so much to certain fans?  Well it isn’t fair to all the talent that isn’t seen as legitimate by twitterers and WebTV users.  Bryan Danielson said on Colt’s AOW that entrance music and gear are two things he realized were far more important than many people think.  

Highspots used to do custom masks.  Just get a good design from a fan and use that instead.  Almost anything is better than what the DO have right now.  The minimalist/amateur looking masks worked fine when they were just bodies to mow down before the final boss battle with Brodie Lee as a heel midcard stable.  Now that they are no longer heels it looks like the stable members are being established as more than just pawns.

There are seven members of the group right now.  They are not some amorphous blob of humanity that cannot be quantified without a calculator like some (usually fond of tennis rackets) try and pigeon-hole them as.  When Anna Jay gets back…they will be full strength and become a group of eight.  Most of us humans have more than eight fingers.  They do not have an infinite supply of members or even use random unmentioned members like all those bloated stables have done in the past.  They don’t swarm with group beatdowns.  They are 2 sometimes 3 full time tag teams plus Colt Cabana and still to come back from injury the future female Queen of AEW, Anna Jay!  

These are hardly a group of ever changing memberships.  They aren’t what everyone apparently hated before Brodie Lee debuted last March.  

Adam Page is around.  He is not in the Dark Order itself but he is loosely peripheral to the group.  If that confuses some fans then maybe AEW needs to attract more fans who aren’t confused as easily.  

10's mask still looks like some homemade juggalo shit.

And I've now grown tired of Cody's tights. There was a Link inspiration there at one point, but now it's just more cosplay type stuff. I think the long tights are just supposed to look like armor. And now the dude is coming out like Homelander every week, which, again, no one should want to be Homelander.

• Haha 1