DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/18/2021

It's Saturday Morning over here. I know what that means!

Andrade El Idolo Sits Down With Jim Ross

Yes! This is how to use JR. Now, let's transition him into this full time and also figure out a role for Vickie that doesn't require so many "EXCUSE MEs"

Hopefully we will get some idea of what La Sombra's first AEW program will be during the interview. Perhaps via interruption?

Penta El Zero Miedo, Eddie Kingston & Frankie Kazarian (that's good) vs. AEW World Tag Team Champion Matt Jackson & The Good Brothers (the toppings contain potassium benzoate) 

At least we know that The Good Brothers won't be running in on this one. 

Orange Cassidy (w/Best Friends & Kris Statlander) vs. Cezar Bononi (w/The Wingmen)

Bononi just might be the Most Improved Male AEW Wrestler of the Pandemic Era.

Cody Rhodes & Brock Anderson (w/Arn Anderson) vs. QT Marshall & Aaron Solow (w/Nick Comoroto)

I'm genuinely interested in seeing what BROCK! (pause)Anderson brings to the table. I also wonder if they will announce him like that today as well.

Handicap Match: Darby Allin vs. Scorpio Sky & “All Ego” Ethan Page

I'm genuinely interested to see how they book this. Will Sting keep his word? Will someone surprising have Darby's back?

Will someone surprising seem to have Darby's back but then turn on him?

Is this the beginning of a JJ in TNA run for Darby that will eventually make us all hate him? (probably not).

MMA Rules Cage Fight: Jake Hager vs. Wardlow

Maybe I'm naïve (maybe) but I have fairly high hopes for this as a hoss fight. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 1

Speaking of Cody:

Congratulations to Renee and Mox and Brandi and Cody for the birth of their daughters! From the bottom of my heart, in all sincerity, I hope that their babies bring them as much joy and love as my two beautiful talented daughters have brought my wife and I. 

Also: Cody's little girl is named Liberty. He is living his gimmick to the fullest.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 1

They'll be calling her LIbby by next month. Plenty of people with weird names end up with normal ones. Like that Hart brother who named his daughter Satanic Ecstasy and was really disappointed that everyone just called her Tanya.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

They'll be calling her LIbby by next month. Plenty of people with weird names end up with normal ones. Like that Hart brother who named his daughter Satanic Ecstasy and was really disappointed that everyone just called her Tanya.

Bret set that up naming his kid Blade.

• Thanks 1

I guess to "normalize" that you could call him Ade, which is presumably a feminine name but actually means king, crown, or royalty in Nigeria.

Of course the first person I think of when we bring up fucked names is Jesus Christ (Kevin Michael, aka GG) Allin. Satanic Ecstasy is OUT THERE though, completely forgot about that one ?

Has anyone ever been named Hook?

I thought the worked shoot was fun for what it was, though whether this is a thing that really needs to exist in 2021 I'm less sure about. But they had fun with it. "HE HIT A SIXTY YEAR OLD MAN WITH PARKINSON'S DISEASE. ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Best disgusted JR line in a long time. I had pretty low expectations for this segment but I'm going to call it a pleasant surprise on the whole.

The handicap match was fucking awesome. I thought this was one of the better matches they've had on Dynamite in a while. All the work made sense, Darby nearly stealing the win was done really well, and the finish didn't exactly do anything to diminish Darby Alin's reputation as the toughest and craziest guy in all the land. This ruled.

I laughed when JR squeaked "Is this legal" when they sprayed Orange Cassidy with spray tan. Match was silly shit but was fine as "a thing that happened on wrestling TV".

What the fuck was this Kenny Omega segment

The Cody/Brock match was fine. I spent the first half of it waiting for Brock to DDT Cody and instead they just had a perfectly fine WCW Saturday Night match? Okay.

The Andrade segment was fine, I guess. Honestly whatever, just get him in the ring please.

The Ford/Hart match was a mixed bag but still wasn't terrible. Miro came out and was Miro, so it was good.

Oh no Vicky is gonna do stuff. The Santana/Ortiz/FTR video was pretty good. I just want to watch Santana & Ortiz destroy them so bad. Do it.

Main event was high energy, a lot of fun. Everyone hit all of the moves. Pretty much what I wanted it to be with an AEW six man.

Overall I thought this was probably the best of the Friday night shows so far even if it had sort of a nothing match story wise for the main event. One match I thought was really great and none of the other matches made me sad, promos were as always hit and miss for me. But overall a fun 2 hours.

• Like 2

Pretty good show I thought. MMA fight was fun. I wouldn't want one every week but I think it's better to try shit like that and have it not be perfect than to keep doing the same shit all the time. Postmatch angle was good and they're making Guevara a STAR.

I'm not sure what the point of handicap matches are unless it's like 3 jobbers on one monster. Darby had some cool offense but beating one guy does Sky and Ethan Page no favors.

Cassidy/Bononi was goofy fun.

Kenny Omega and Don Callis had a segment where Kenny cut a goofy, self indulgent promo because that's all he can do. Jungle Boy looked great in the segment but I have trouble believing EVP Kenny is gonna let himself look weak against Jungle Boy, let alone eat a pin. Jungle Boy going over is the right call but it won't happen, because Kenny thinks he's a much bigger star than he is.

Hardy/Christian was a fun little segment, but Christian didn't come here to do this, did he? He could've done this shit in WWE. Get my man a better program than this goofy shit. 

Speaking of self indulgent EVP's, Cody tags with Brock Anderson in Brock's debut against the guy who didn't marry Bayley and QuikTrip Marshall. Brock seems to have pretty good instincts, but there really was no reason for the Factory to eat another pin here, other than Cody gonna Cody.

Sit down thing with Andrade. Promises a surprise for AEW. My money is on Thea Trinidad.

Penelope Ford vs Julia Hart was a fun little match. I said in another thread that Julia Hart has something. It's raw, but even my wife, who isn't really a fan, noticed it. She saw the Varsity Blondes and stopped what she was doing. "That's a fun little gimmick." They need a Coach. A veteran of some kind who can promo for them. Penelope looked good in-ring and showed a nice vicious streak. Miro coming out after was dope, because Miro is dope. 

The less said about that Vicki thing the better. They're gonna have to do something about her. Whatever she had in WWE, it's nowhere to be found in Jacksonville.

That video package for S&O & FTR was dope as hell. Just quality work. Those four guys are gonna felony each other and I am here for it.

Jade Cargill is dollar signs. All of them.

The main was fine, but at some point this "Elite gets beat down and then cheats to win" thing is gonna start costing them viewers. There are other corners of the internet where folks complain about it far more than here. The highlight for me was Eddie continuing to no sell Matt Jackson's shit-ass strikes, because they're awful and no one should sell them. At some point the schtick stops being "good heel work" and starts being "cringe inducing horseshit." It isn't good, and the Bucks aren't self-aware enough to make it good. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

I thought Hager looked really good in the Shooty Styley match, particularly his selling.

I think the winging haymakers looked more out-of-place than the hurricanrana.

Match itself was a nice swing at something different, as @just drew said.

MJF hitting Malenko was a sick heel move and MJF vs Sammy should be good.

Hangman vs Powerhouse? Yes, please!

I was legit surprised at the finish to the triple threat. I think that was the right way to book it.

Bononononi looked impressively big and strong against Orangey Boy. I thought the outside-the-ring makeover stuff was legit funny and Pretty Peter doing the Pietà during the post match was hilarious.

Anyone not looking forward to Kenny vs Jungle Jack? 

"Acting like it's Wednesday, but it's really f'n Friday!!"

It sounded like the crowd was boo-ing Anderson when he came out. Are people already anticipating the heel turn? Him eating a spinebuster was a nice spot.

As @eliziumpointed out, I liked his "The Genius" ring gear.

For whatever reason, JR being all pissy about QT wanting his name to be pronounced Mar-SHALL made me laugh.

I liked the nice dad and son moment at the end. It's Father's Day tomorrow, here. I also though that Cody staying out of the spotlight was a point in his favour. I was kinda expecting him to make a speech about Baby Liberty. I'm happy that Arn and Brock got their moment.

Here's to Evil Uno!

Penelope's Indian Death Lock looked great, and everything Miro does is awesome these days.

Miro vs Pillman? Yes, please!

FTR vs P&P?!?!? Oh. Hell. Yeah.

I like Penta Hand Gesture's Joker gear.

I thought there was some real heat and fire in the main event. I enjoyed that up until the bullshit ending. 

Kazarian wanting nothing more than to kill Kenny and The Bucks should make him the most popular AEW guy on these boards.

I agree with @Death From Above that this was probably the best Friday Dynamite so far.

I'm looking forward to all of: Sammy vs MJF, Miro vs Pillman, Hangman vs Hobbs, P&P vs FTR, and JB vs Omega.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

I liked the first two or three matches, the second as a real match and the first and third in a "I was sports entertained" way, and then it kinda went downhill.

The first match had some hilarious winged punches... well, punches period. They had a pretty good finish actually and I dug the run-ins. Is the rubber match gonna be another gimmick or...? Third match was just silly with the tanner and I chuckled. The second match, we were talking in the chat about how they're only good when it's a one-on-two squash, and then lo and behold Tony figures out how to do a two-on-one that's competitive, the heels win and keep their heat and the face doesn't look bad in defeat. Dug the ziptie. It's scary when Darby goes upside down and doesn't tuck his chin. 

I was disinterested in the other matches for the participants mostly (Penta, Elite, Cody). Anderson v.5.0 needs to never do a deadlift move again. The women's match I was just distracted, and same for the first half of the main but oh well. 

• Like 1

Hoping to see Tay Conti in an AEW MMA Rules Cage Fight with her judo. Conti vs. Ikaru Shida in MMA regulated garb, gloves and barefoot. Conti vs. Thunder Rosa in that cage perhaps? Be fun to get Dr. Britt Baker training vignettes akin to Jeff Jarrett MMA in a build towards having one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Kazarian wanting nothing more than to kill Kenny and The Bucks should make him the most popular AEW guy on these boards.

There's something to be said of a competent veteran vowing to destroy the foundation of this promotion and wipe away its original sins. I love the idea of the character. I'm happy the sing-song SCU stuff is behind him. I love him adopting the Angel's Wings. 

But of course you continue to fundamentally misunderstand what the dynamic of this board is. Misplaced love for Kenny and the Bucks remains dominant. 

Anyone not looking forward to Kenny vs Jungle Jack? 

If they're not, they should probably consider checking out on wrestling.

Here's to Evil Uno!

Gross. 

• Haha 1

Evil Uno has been a dude who has made me go "y'know who's pretty good? Evil/Player Uno" for like, ten years at least. And he isn't even the A Side of his tag team. So let's be positive.

AEW Worked Shoot Doo Dah is fine by me. I cut my teeth on Dark Age NJPW, so this one hit well above average. Good territorial booking, of course Hager's gonna win in the environment he trains in, while Wardlow got his end-of-the-round hope spot, made a Frankensteiner look legit-ish, and obviously didn't tap in a situation where they otherwise would have had a rope break. They'll run that spot back in the rubber match and that's the way rasslin should be. Young beefy's gotta work on his punches, though. Good news, he can ask Dustin.

Yo. The Wing Men are the platonic ideal of a jobber stable. What does Ryan's resplendent bump-n-preen say about what Big Bro Dee Zee could, should be? It kinda boggles the mind. Avalon is built for making undercard feuds engaging and is really contending for Jobber of the Year. Drake is being elevated like he ought to be and that's fukken peachy. Bononi gets to look the perfect mix of beefy and dumb. Them plus a full force Best Friends is the good time sports entertainment viewing you deserve.

Karl Anderson showed the hell up and was the unlikely MVP of the main event. Am I gonna have to watch the G1 Final against Okada again? Gallows actually tried too and damnit if those bland baldies haven't decided to try every time I think I'm done with them. Anything's better than Penta left to his own devices. If Kazarian is taking on the Angel's Wings then it should be his finish. Nobody ever stops the Young Bucks from breaking up pins. Fix it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

Hager vs Wardlow was fun, probably the best use of Hager in the ring in a while. Liked that Wardlow was still about to show respect after the match until Spears did the sneak attack.

Not sure what the point of having Sky/Page beat Darby in a handicap is, unless they are lining them up for something. But we have heel tag champs so thats not happening. Darby is so good, there aren't many guys out there who can make this gimmick match exciting but he is one of them. Just a strange booking move as it doesn't benefit him and I don't see them having any big plans for the heels.

Brock Anderson both looks just like his dad and has a lot of his mannerisms in the ring too. Solid debut for him.

Andrade switching between English and Spanish caught me a little off guard at first, but only because we're so not used to seeing guys do promos like that. Subtitles was a good move. Him promising a surprise makes me wonder what the status is with Rush and Dragon Lee with ROH? Anyone know whats going on there?

Great video package for the FTR vs Santana & Ortiz match. Both teams carry a lot of hype and potential but haven't really lived up to it in AEW, this is a big match and I hope they deliver.

• Like 2