DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Piper's Pit - 6/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

So apparently none of the Raw commentary team watches NXT UK either.

Ripley and Asuka are like Bayley and Sasha in that they have a banger almost every time.

I'd have liked to see a longer Drew/AJ match than the inevitable six man but whatever. Still don't care about the Cell match and have a sinking feeling Lashley is going to drop the belt this time

The Raw commentary team are anti-Tenays. "WE DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS!"

"Trashley!" Where do they mine this gold?!

Alexa and the Spooky Kid only got the 10:00 main tonight.

They went to commercial as soon as Omos tagged in. I'm sure he's not very good yet, but you know that's what ANYONE watching wanted to see. Why even bother?

I watched like forty minutes of RAW since I only give a fuck about the women wrestling.  Pretty much all of it was good with the Asuka/ Rhea match being really good.  Good pull apart.  Good Nikki Cross appearance- as I totally dig the Bird Girl of Pro Wrestling thing she pulls off.  Hell, I dug the Alexa Bliss/Nia Jax match up to the shitty DDT and the horrendous hypmotizing bullshit.  Bravo WWE!  I might even try to learn the names of the two blondes who are going to challenge for the tag belts.

Not sure what to think of Piper's debut. I do kind of find it funny that they seem to have Eva back to doing what she was before in a different form where she never quite gets in the ring. Its sad to see Naomi squashed yet at the same time it was nice to see Piper look strong.

Charlotte/Nikki was solid while it lasted.

Asuka/Rhea was good once again. The post match brawl between Charlotte & Rhea was fine as well. Dug Charlotte ending up bloodied a bit. Still with Rhea getting one over on Charlotte twice in the same night it makes Rhea losing at HIAC all the more likely.

The segment between Mandy/Dana and Nattie/Tamina was fine. 

Watching Nia/Alexa made me appreciate once again how much Alexa is putting into making her gimmick. At the same time I can't help but feel the gimmicks and wish it would die already. It feels weird realizing they used nearly everyone on the women's roster for Raw tonight. 

Curious to see where the MVP talks with Kofi stuff leads, hopefully Kofi as Lashley's next challenger.

38 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I might even try to learn the names of the two blondes who are going to challenge for the tag belts.

Mandy Rose and Dana Brooke

Well... This Raw was much better than usual. Despite WWE's long-time standard flaws popping up (tag title match is this weekend, so why are the challengers facing the tag champs in a six-man NOW?), this show was not a chore to watch. I even mostly liked it.

But seriously, stop treating Asuka like an afterthought, even if the match was good. She should be treated like the mega-star she properly is. Glad to see Piper Niven too, and definitely glad to not see Eva in a match. And good to see Charlotte and Rhea finally throwing down.

Heck, even Alexa Bliss looked good. I don't know if they'll KEEP it this way, but this demon-possessed Alexa form is far superior to the crap we got last week. I know, "Alexa has no business doing so and so to Nia Jax, they're so different in size" and so on. But Alexa's performance was strong. She looked like a proper menace this time. And NO stupid doll claiming credit for anything. I might not even much mind if Alexa can zombify Reginald to assist her later. Might, I said. But I'd rather they stay far away from the goofy stuff right now. So I hope that was a one-off thing.

Also, I hope they don't try to make that first-grade insult "trashley" thing stick. Drew's name rhymes with "spew" after all. But oops, maybe I just gave WWE an idea. ;P

Man, as happy as I am to read that Piper's on Raw they go and ruin it with the name change.  I mean they could at least have it just be Niven and try to make her some unstoppable force that protects Eva.  But Doudrop?  I tried to see if there was any meaning to it but nothing came up so far.  So unless Piper picked it I'm calling this one a massive fail.

I think given the people running RAW there was probably 80% chance that Piper Niven was brought up as a fat shaming angle.  And unfortunately given Twitter responses to her debut it may be what fans want

Hearing the proposed name idea makes 100% for me.  Shame because she is a really good talent. 

Can't imagine they think this will solve ratings issues.  Especially with women

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Doudrop just makes me think they're going to Bertha Faye her.

Yeah, I'm getting a bad Honey Boo-Boo -vibe from that name that I certainly do not want to be getting. If she gets paired up with Eva for more than this one shot, it is likely we getting similar stuff that Alexa and Nia ended up being a few years back.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Mandy Rose and Dana Brooke

And since they are both indeed blondes who are very much into fitness, it helps to diffrentiate one from the other if you remember that the scorching hot one is Dana Brooke and the smoulderingly hot one is Mandy Rose.

Well, and Rose was the one who slipped during her Wrestlemania entrance, maybe that helps more? What? Otis? Ok, Mandy had an angle with Otis and Dana had a Twitter angle with Batista in the past.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

And since they are both indeed blondes who are very much into fitness, it helps to diffrentiate one from the other if you remember that the scorching hot one is Dana Brooke and the smoulderingly hot one is Mandy Rose.

Well, and Rose was the one who slipped during her Wrestlemania entrance, maybe that helps more? What? Otis? Ok, Mandy had an angle with Otis and Dana had a Twitter angle with Batista in the past.

I like to believe Dana / Batista wasn't an angle and that she is one of the privileged to know how big Bautista's hog really is.

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I like to believe Dana / Batista wasn't an angle and that she is one of the privileged to know how big Bautista's hog really is.

I think so too, but thought it was best not to assume anything.

17 hours ago, hammerva said:

I think given the people running RAW there was probably 80% chance that Piper Niven was brought up as a fat shaming angle.  And unfortunately given Twitter responses to her debut it may be what fans want

Hearing the proposed name idea makes 100% for me.  Shame because she is a really good talent. 

Can't imagine they think this will solve ratings issues.  Especially with women

The obvious progression is Piper does the dirty work for a while but is obviously being manipulated by Eva but then turns babyface and smashes Eva into the ground. While Piper is a heel, she's unlikely to get called fat by babyfaces for obvious reasons. Eva making jabs at her appearance behind Niven's back is likely to form the catalyst for the turn and bad people saying bad things is part of what makes them bad in the first place. That Piper destroys her in response is, of course, obligatory. 

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

The obvious progression is Piper does the dirty work for a while but is obviously being manipulated by Eva but then turns babyface and smashes Eva into the ground. While Piper is a heel, she's unlikely to get called fat by babyfaces for obvious reasons. Eva making jabs at her appearance behind Niven's back is likely to form the catalyst for the turn and bad people saying bad things is part of what makes them bad in the first place. That Piper destroys her in response is, of course, obligatory. 

Can we trust Vince and WWE "creative" to get that right?

40 minutes ago, Goodear said:

They already did that with Nia Jax a couple years ago.   Hell she even got her win at WrestleMania against Bliss.   And I then I believe lost immediately after that with the idea that the person being fat shamed was actually the bully

Yeah, Nia isn't all that sympathetic an actor and she would need to be in order to work babyface. She's not cast well in that role.