DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

If they felt a need to stall Hangman's title run they could always have him rip the hearts out of the Dark Order and Hangman gets revenge for them all.

Let Hangman do a bunch of defenses, then win a shot at Omega and take it that way.

Tony Khan announced on Busted Open Radio that a new summer touring date, Fyter Fest and Fight for the Fallen will be announced during Dynamite tonight.

And a new show, which I assume will be one of those special Clash-like shows they mentioned that'll air on TNT.

Angelico is such a funky wrestler but I dug that match with Christian.

Brock Anderson came out dressed like a PGA player on his day off. QT Marshall is trying his best, honestly he's probably been the thing in this silly feud I've disliked the least. Cody is so whatever right now. 

Death Triangle/Kingston vs Bucks/Cutler was fun in the back half. The wrestling robot known as Penta was switched to ON tonight.

The Pinnacle/Inner Circle segment was fine. Spears having the nerve to call someone else a glorified indie wrestler ruled. As far as car destructions go I guess that was a good one.

The Evil Uno promo was good. Match with Miro was pretty fun too considering there was only ever one result.

Omega and Callis with some delusional rambling. Holy shit is Jungle Boy over. That pop when he came out was huge. Best promo segment on the show.

I was gettin' food during the Lance Archer squash and part of the Rose/Hirsch segment but the parts of the women's match I saw was fine.

Main event was fun. Cage is way too agile for a dude his size. Powerhouse Hobbs' spinebuster is the real, not the jabroni.

• Like 3

It's a small thing, but I truly enjoyed watching muscle freaks Miro and Cage getting up for those beautiful dropkicks. I also popped for King hitting that stereo dive with Pac.

I thought they got a lot of little things right tonight.

Loved all the little tributes to Brody Lee, and Negative One's "happy water."

Dark Order celebrating was a nice way to close the show.

Really liked how Leyla and Uno both got believable hope spots and looked good while Miro and Nyla both looked like monsters. Tough balance to strike, and they pretty much nailed it twice tonight.  

Making his AEW debut!! BROCK (pause) Anderson! got a lol out of me. I'm interested to see what he can do in the ring.

I feel like Cutler has found a pretty good role for himself.

I think almost any match could have been placed almost anywhere on the card tonight and it could have worked. You easily could have had the trios match or the title match as the main event, but the tag match didn't feel out of place in that slot. Christian vs Angelico was an exciting opener, but almost any match on the card could have worked there, too. I like that about AEW. 

That Chandler guy bumped like crazy for Lance Archer. I enjoyed that quick squash. I don't feel like anything outstayed its welcome tonight, and having a quick squash was a nice change of pace and provided contrast for the two competitive squash matches.

I also laughed at JR's attempt at a pop culture reference ("Chandler from Friends")being totally no-sold.

I was happy when Tazz went off on JR for getting all grandpa about the word "dojo." 

However, I 100% agree with JR about flying headbutts. Would not hurt my feelings one bit to see those banned.

I've never been all that excited about seeing vehicles get destroyed on pro wrestling TV shows. Someone must love it, though. It happens so often.

That crowd really loves Jungle Boy! I'm right there with them.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2

I’m sure a lot of people will lament that Miro didn’t make short work of Uno, but I thought it was a sneaky good match, as Uno matches often are.  He seems to have a good understanding of what he looks credible doing and works smartly around that.  Here, pretty much the only times he got any offense going werewhen Miro slipped on a banana peel or lost focus.  If I’m remembering correctly, the only 2-count Uno got came after Miro ate the exposed turnbuckle.  Even his swanton just got a 1.

Also, that might be one of the slickest turnbuckle setups I’ve seen, because I totally buy Miro as a guy who would improv throwing a turnbuckle pad at somebody for no damn reason.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 8

I am going to make my usual complaint that Miro needs to pick a lane with the Game Over.  When he does that pull back so far he goes to his back he changes the move from a camel clutch to, um, some kind of neck vise?  It makes the Skull End look like, well, anything ZSJ does.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The wrestling robot known as Penta was switched to ON tonight.

I was a huge Penta fan after seeing him in Lucha Underground.  Then I saw more of him in other promotions, and, um, not quite the fan.  For whatever reason, AEW has a number of acts that I've liked elsewhere but they don't quite work for me here.

Never heard of Brock Anderson before?  Arn's kid?  I'll have to google him later,

Kinda surprised to discover the show was on Fridays again.  Is this because of the NBA or is Friday late night their new time slot?

I guess Mox and Kingston are a team?  Can't get used to that.  Last time I saw them, they were feuding in the non-exploding barb wire deathmatch. 

Fun show.  I can't recall if AEW has ever not bounced back after a weak week?

Very much enjoyed the opener.  Christian's run has been a lot of fun.  Fun bouts, fun opponents.

I think QT's been incredibly underrated over the course of this Family-Factory feud.  The hate for his being lame should soon turn into admiration for his owning of being lame.  This was the first solid Cody segment in what seems like quite awhile.  Looking forward to the Young Anderson's debut.  

Love the Bucks.  Love Young Boy Cutler.  Love Callis.  Love Eddie.  Love Death Triangle.  

Awesome job on 'Thank You Don' video by Michael Kurosawa.  Very very well done!  Much better filmmaker than Darb.  Speaking of which - what a lame segment with Sting.  Men of the Year however - chef's kiss.  Scorpio and Page are earning their way into everyone's hearts.  Mine's already taken.

It feels like the Pinnacle has a heavy anchor attached to them.  Man, Warlow is absolute money and I'm game for his bout with Hager.  So too FTR and LAX.  I have no interest in anything to do with Jericho or Max Friedman.  I'm sure MJF will bounce back, but my interest in him has plummeted.  I know they wanna treat him like he's a special attraction, but he should be wrestling more on Dark and getting better in the ring.  I would have loved to see them swap out the car destruction with a message from Tully.  I'd like to know his thoughts more often.  

Loved the Omega/Callis-Jungle Boy segment.  Kenny and Don are just killing it out there.  And Jungle Boy is showcasing the pure babyface to be a timeless execution when done so right.  Excited for the match and like this build better than a lot of AEW's recent feud progressions.  I keep thinking about the possibility of a quick Tommy Rich-Harley Race style title change here.  Whatever they do that match will no doubt be a thing of beauty.  

Andrade is a thing of beauty too.  Really lame video tho.

I despise the choice to saddle Jade Cargill with Mark Sterling.  He takes away from her stature.  Catchphrase is questionable, but I love her.

Wingmen rule.  I love AEW's commitment to the lower part of the card here.  

Nyla looked good.  I've missed her.  Great to see her back.  She needs to start talking trash again.  She's gotta be just behind Britt as their best Women's talker.  Here's a thought: Nyla and Leyla as a team?

Powerhouse Hobbs keeps impressing week after week.  Loved that multiple bodyslams thing he did on Dark.  He looked great here.  I think Taz needs to get Cage on the right page and pursue these guys as a team.  AEW needs a Demolition.  10 also looked good in the main.  His presentation is horrendous, but he's showing he's got some solid fundamentals.  Hangman is a gift to pro-wres.  Obviously.

Miro and Uno... 

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I’m sure a lot of people will lament that Miro didn’t make short work of Uno, but I thought it was a sneaky good match, as Uno matches often are.  He seems to have a good understanding of what he looks credible doing and works smartly around that.  Here, pretty much the only times he got any offense going werewhen Miro slipped on a banana peel or lost focus.  If I’m remembering correctly, the only 2-count Uno got came after Miro ate the exposed turnbuckle.  Even his swanton just got a 1.

Also, that might be one of the slickest turnbuckle setups I’ve seen, because I totally buy Miro as a guy who would improv throwing a turnbuckle pad at somebody for no damn reason.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Brock Anderson looks like Ole and appears to move just like his dad. 

I don't watch AEW a lot, i fall asleep, but it is awesome getting to see Kingston as the peacemaking superface. He is basically what cable TV is made for whether heel or face.

Actually liked the Andrade video. It’s a nice touch having the mask represented as a necklace rather than literal face mask. Pretty sharp intro package. The Miro/Uno UFC-style hype video with the super-serious start/voice over that then is revealed to be a chubby middle age neck bearded white dude in a mask before progressing to a dude in a gimp mask saying “I hope Miro doesn’t take me lightly” was, conversely, the height of buffoonery. 

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every time someone no sells a shitty Young Bucks punch, an angel gets its wings. 

jungle boy rules ass. Miro looked terrifying. Can’t wait for Andrades debut. 

1 hour ago, Horatio said:

Brock Anderson looks like Ole and appears to move just like his dad. 

I don't know how old Brock is but if you told me he is 40 I wouldn't  be stunned.  Almost like he came out of the womb legally able to drink

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought the six man was a lot of fun. Nick's really been leaning in to the heel act since the turn. Loved Kazarian coming off like a star in the post-match, cool to see something like this finally come his way to shine. Digging the build to Jungle/Omega a lot. I had thought next week was going to be a Saturday too, but we get one more Friday and then the one Saturday. Fun Archer squash. Great finish in Nyla/Leyla. Nice solid main event. 

• Like 4