DVDVR Message Board

Smelly watches every Nitro-era Nitro, Thunder, Clash, and PPV while sitting and sometimes maybe standing

SirSmUgly

Man, there needs to be different rules for this thread insofar as the amount of posts that fit into a single page. The last one took like a half a minute to scroll to the bottom of on my phone last night. Or, you could use spoiler tags.

Edited by Curt McGirt

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man, there needs to be different rules for this thread insofar as the amount of posts that fit into a single page. The last one took like a half a minute to scroll to the bottom of on my phone last night. Or, you could use spoiler tags.

Fair enough! I thought about that, but just pumped those lists out anyway. I'll go back and spoiler tag the list posts. 

• Like 1

Thunder Interlude – show number thirty-eight – 29 October 1998

"The WCW Gang really should have given Raven and the Giant like seven or eight more minutes”

• Tony S. threatens to make us revisit Halloween Havoc some more…He also announces a Giant/Raven main event, which makes up for all that…I know it’s probably going to be four minutes of fuckery and that’s all, but I will hold out some hope for a cool match…

• Van Hammer versus Wrath is the opener…I accept being in the minority of people who is hyped for this exact matchup…Can I admit something to you all right now?...I sorta liked the Hoss Era of mid-aughts WWE…I genuinely kinda enjoyed Horshu/Luther Reigns…These fellas do some clubberin’ in the corners before Wrath lands a running lariat…Van Hammer hits a side Russian…More tall dudes should do them because they just come off as high-impact and impressive…The Giant’s side Russian is legitimately great…Anyway, Wrath jumps damn near across the ring to land a diving clothesline…Van Hammer fares far better against Wrath than most opponents…In kayfabe, this predicts Wrath struggling to do much against Kevin Nash in about three weeks…Hammer hits a sweet powerslam for two…Wrath gets out of dodge with a win after catching Hammer on a duck down and then landing a Meltdown…See, I knew I would dig this match, and I did…

• Video clip of the end of Alex Wright/Fit Finlay at Havoc…Wright won that tangle, but there’s a return match next up…Finlay is grumpy about losing that PPV match and immediately starts clawing at Wright’s face and throwing elbows…Wright has a nice counter to an arm wringer that ends up with him stomping Finlay in the face…I think these two have pretty decent chemistry, actually…Finlay leverages his power advantage with European uppercuts and a lot of leaning his weight on Wright’s knee…Finlay wraps Wright’s knee around the post while Wright is standing in a new twist on an old classic…

• This is genuinely pretty good stuff…They do the little things like Finlay suckering Wright into angrily swiping at him so that he can go low and trip Wright…Finlay yells THIS IS HOW I BROKE YOUR FATHER’S LEG while applying a gross-looking standing Figure Four in which he’s standing on Wright’s knee as he hooks it…Finlay’s offense is awesome, man…Wright does a cartwheel to dodge Finlay, and that is BULLSHIT…That leg work looked meaningful and should be treated as such…Wright hits a missile dropkick that knocks Finlay into Nick Patrick…Wright covers, but Patrick is out…Wright tries to revive Finlay and gets grabbed from behind and Tombstoned…Finlay was great, but a) Wright generally blew off knee work that looked too good to be blown off and b) Finlay should have gotten a submission off a kneebar instead of just hitting his regular ol’ finisher…It was still fun, though...

• We re-live Scott Steiner and Buff Bagwell giving the business to J.J. Dillon on Nitro…Scotty had to take a lot of time to think about his big question to Dillon w/r/t the reffing in his Havoc match because he knew, like we knew, he’d probably fuck up the wording…He asks it twice and takes a huge pause each time to work through it beforehand…

• Disorderly Conduct made it off of the C-shows and onto Thunder…Wait, I guess it’s just Tough Tom jobbing to the Disciple…You want to know how I know that this is the bad universe?...They paid Lanny Poffo to just sit at home, but went ahead and put the Disciple on television…Look, if I’m going to be watching a marginal ‘80s wrestler on TV in 1998, Lanny is like three kajillion times better than Ed Leslie…Tough Tom hits this sweet-looking reverse neckbreaker that Disciple no-sells…This is nonsense…Disciple hits a crappy Apocalypse for the win, then hits another one on Mean Mike after the match…Leslie should have been doing this on a C-show right along with Mike and Tom instead of on Thunder…

• Eddy Guerrero (w/floundering career) faces Dean Malenko in one of WCW’s truly timeless matchups…They hit quite a few switches in some early mat wrestling…There’s a break here…They’re doing a lot of running when we get back…I’m low-ish on Malenko and obviously very high on Eddy, but no matter how I feel about them as individuals, they’ll never have worse than a nice, fun little contest whenever you put them together in the ring as opponents…Eddy gets two on a springboard rana…He controls with some nice offense, but Malenko reverses a whip and hits a lariat and vertical suplex for two…

• Really, neither guy stays in control for very long…Eddy escapes the ring on a Texas Cloverleaf attempt…Eddy’s got a huge shiner and looks irritated or possibly hung-over…He tells a shit-talking fan to suck it…Malenko steamrolls him when he gets back in the ring, but we get some switches in control…Eddy takes way too much time going for a Frog Splash and gets caught and superplexed…We get a standing eight-count, but both men are up, and Eddy dumps Malenko to ringside, where they toss each other around…Malenko’s got control when they re-enter the ring, but he almost immediately gets counter-rana’d…Ooh, Eddy gets a Gory Special, which he turns into a pinning combo that gets reversed and re-reversed and re-re-reversed…Malenko gets up and stomps Eddy in the corner, so three or four lWo members come out and spark a DQ…Benoit and Mongo run out for the save…That was a decent way to pass the time, even with the non-finish…

• Disco Inferno gets a shot at Chris Jericho’s TV title in another intriguing matchup on this Thunder…We’re getting close to the point, if we haven’t made it there already, that Bischoff allows Goldberg to shoot down a title match in which he squashes Jericho…Bisch has said that he thinks that being denied the Goldberg match is the point at which Jericho decided to head up north and that it was the right professional move for him…Actually, the right professional move would have been on Bischoff’s part…Like maybe to clear some of the older dead wood out of the main event, maybe have them wrestle as special attractions like he’s already got Piper doing, and to promise Jericho a mega-push to the top level in recompense…

• I digress, though…Disco gets a mic and butters up Jericho, but only to demand that Jericho put the belt around Disco’s waist…Jericho thinks about clocking the guy with it, but instead, he wraps the belt around Disco’s waist, raises Disco’s arm, and then pulls him in for a clothesline…Jericho takes the belt back and tries to whip Disco with it, but Nick Patrick pulls it away, and the distraction allows Disco to take control…Disco gets a couple of two counts, so Jericho leaves the ring to consult with Ralphus…I guess the TV title money isn’t long enough to employ both Ralphus and the Jerichoholic Ninja…That bit of advice worked because Jericho controls the match back in the ring…Jericho gets one off a vertical suplex and a wimpy pin…Jericho basically dominates and takes Disco even less seriously than he usually takes his opponents…Jericho runs himself into a boot when trying a corner charge, but catches Disco with a boot of his own after Disco tries to mount a comeback…Jericho then very casually jumps himself into a boot on a dive after taking a lot of time to preen and talk to the crowd…Disco has one more burst of offense…He actually lands the second-rope elbow for two…Disco sets up for the jumping piledriver, but does the Macarena before attempting it…That’s his final mistake, as Jericho has time to trip him and lock on the Walls of Jericho…Disco tries to reach the ropes, but can’t, and has to submit…Decent bout…

• Chavo Guerrero Jr. gets a shot at Billy Kidman’s Cruiserweight Championship next…Mike Tenay says that Kidman is “becoming more established by the match”…I wouldn’t say that…The guy is still very young, but boy, can you tell it…He really doesn’t have it in him to work a lot of medium-long title matches…He sort of reminds me of heel Alex Wright as TV Champ…I think Wright showed more promise then than Kidman has in this run, though…

• I keep on digressing…Chavo Jr. keeps me engaged because he rules…I have intimated as much before, but I really do think after this watch, the guy who most rises up my “Best Wrestlers of All Time” list is Chavo Jr….I’m not sure I would have placed him, as much as I liked a lot of his stuff, but I would certainly place him now…And really, I bet if I went back and watched a lot of his WWE stuff and reviewed LU’s first season, he’d only climb higher…Oh yeah, the match…It’s pretty solid because Chavo is pretty solid…Kidman still struggles to come up with interesting ideas when he’s in control…Chavo Jr. is like two or three years older, but Chavo in late 1996 was only a bit older than Kidman is in 1998 and had about as much experience, and he definitely didn’t have this issue…

• Again, the match…It’s back and forth, and after an early burst, a lot of it is worked on the mat…It picks back up when Chavo scores a back suplex with a bridge for two, then a slingshot splash for two…Kidman sticks up a boot on a corner charge – lots of failed corner charges the last two matches – and gets two off a crossbody…They trade two-counts…The 2.9s off Kidman’s Sky High and Chavo’s springboard bulldog both are timed impeccably…Chavo hits the best Superman Punch in the business, but he gets distracted by Pepe and allows Kidman to recover…Chavo tries a diving sunset flip, but gets reversed into a pinfall for three…Ditch Pepe, Chavo, he’s holding you back!...

• Post-match, the lWo comes down…Chavo expects to be handed a shirt, but Eddy’s still on this guy’s case for taking L’s…I remember when this dumbass angle started that Eddy shouted out Chavo positively…But now I guess we’re doing the Hogan the Elder/Hogan the Lesser “sacrifice” deal except with Los Guerreros and Pepe…Nah, no need, book something better instead…

• Warrior’s promo and face-off with Hogan on Nitro is replayed…Warrior huffing and puffing after speaking a few sentences is never not funny…Dude, have you ever met a treadmill?...Maybe a Stairmaster?...So, I wonder why they abruptly changed directions on doing more Hogan/Warrior…It’s clear that they had plans…I’m guessing someone told Warrior that he wasn’t getting a win in this feud, so he went back to Scottsdale to chill and collect the rest of his dough…

• Ernest Miller rolls Villano V next…The Cat does his whole pre-match shtick first…He threatens someone in the crowd, which is funny…Then again, with all the crowd run-ins in this era of WCW, maybe he shouldn’t have done that…Villano V decides to stick around and gets a few strikes in before eating a side kick…Honestly, the best thing about this match is V’s offense, which is pretty fun…V gets another burst of offense, including a meaty senton splash, but he catches a Feliner for the loss soon after…Post-match, Miller challenges everyone and anyone to a fight…Sonny Onoo comes to the ring, but he doesn’t want a fight…He wants 40% of all of Ernest Miller’s future earnings…Onoo probably should have grabbed a mic so that we could better hear him try to sweet talk Miller…Miller is disinterested in representation until Onoo flashes a fist full of Benjamins…Miller is more open to negotiation after seeing that…

• Scott Hall seems to be walking a straight line on his way to the ring to face an Armstrong boy…I sure hope this “drunken Hall” shit is done and dusted…It sucked…Tony S. doesn’t believe in the Armstrong Curse…I don’t either because that goof Road Dogg is saying words like DIGGITY and SHIZNIT on the other channel and is way over…If a wrestler is on television unironically saying words like DIGGITY and SHIZNIT, they should, by all rights, be completely un-over…You tell me there’s a curse on the Armstrongs?...Not when Road Dogg is getting consistent pops…Hall hits one Razor’s Edge on Steve or Scott, I don’t know, these brothers are so bland and pretty much look alike except for, coincidentally enough, the DIGGITY DIGGITY DOG…He hits another Razor’s Edge to send a message kinda like Nash sending a message to Hall with two Jackknifes at Havoc…The difference is that Hall goes ahead and gets three rather than simply leaving the ring…

• Video replay of Page/Hitman from Nitro…Bret’s WCW run is a textbook example of a guy who has flawless timing and execution going through the (very pretty, very fluid) motions because he just isn’t feeling it…I hate that post-match beatdown of Page…Why can’t fans have an unequivocally happy ending for once?...The fact that WWF babyfaces would be allowed to stand tall all the time, but WCW babyfaces would catch beatdown after beatdown was a huge factor in me kinda giving up on WCW somewhere in there…Though I have a hard time remembering almost anything that happened in pro wrestling between about WM XV and January of 2000 in general, to tell the truth…

• Raven/Giant has the first entrance at six minutes before the show ends…Gee, I didn’t see that coming…At this point, forget a cool match, I’d just like a match at all…Kanyon seconds Raven for this bout…The way Kanyon’s shaking his head, he doesn’t like Raven’s chances, I don’t think…Raven enters the ring anyway…They lock up three minutes before this video ends…There’s a match, maybe ten or twelve minutes long, wrestled under Raven’s Rules where Raven is only competitive because of all of his chair-and-STOP-sign based chicanery…What we get instead is maybe a mini version of that which isn’t as fulfilling…Raven is able to run Giant into the post, pop Giant with a chair a few times, and set up a table in the ring…That table is very obviously there for a chokeslammin’…They do have a neat spot where Kanyon holds Giant’s leg when Giant is stepping over the top rope and into the ring, and Raven jumps on the top rope to crotch him…But yeah, Raven gets plunged through the table on a Chokeslam shortly after…There’s a reasonably decent story about Raven losing his way after losing the Flock somewhere in there, but I haven’t seen it yet…

• That was a pretty fun show, though…I give it a WOOOO

If you believe Dark Side, Disciple came back unrecognizable and then there was a big reveal. Sounded like Eric got fooled, and because it was Hogan, could of course do nothing even though he HATED Leslie.

Show #164 – 2 November 1998

“The one where the talking is, in a rare example, better than the wrestling”

• Man, this World War 3 promo is, uh, something, with all the world elite controlling our lives in every way except for in the (kayfabed, mind you) finish to the chaotic WW3 Battle Royale.

• Alex Wright opens the show against Norman Smiley, the latter of whom gets a totally unwarranted jobber entrance. Would you believe it, but these fellas work a fun opener! Some fans on the hard cam sign are very excited to display their sign with a homophobic slur on it; how’d that one get past the door? Wright loses control of the match when he doesn’t focus, but when he does, he’s aggressive and has the match well in hand. Wright even hangs Smiley in the tree of woe position to stomp a mudhole in him, he’s so aggressive. Wright eventually misses a corner splash and gives Smiley a chance to unload some lovely-looking offense. I could watch this guy hit elbowdrops, slams, and holds all day; he’s so aesthetically pleasing to watch. Wright does catch Smiley going up top and land a superplex, though, which ends all that Smiley offense and leads to Wright ducking a wild punch and hooking on a reverse neckbreaker for three.

• Larry Z. is on one tonight, as he calls Wright the “Teutonic twerp” and then says that the nWo is like a “blind man in a dark room looking for a black hat.”

• They’re making a lot out of Bret destroying DDP to end the show last week after having also destroyed Sting at Havoc. It leaves me unmoved.

• Disco Inferno dances out next. There’s been a lot of dancing in the first ten minutes of this show. Some stereotypical music representative of some vague mashup country in East Asia that is vaguely reminiscent of Japan, China, and maybe Korea all scrunched together plays, and Kaz Hayashi walks to the ring as Disco’s opponent. Disco is dazzled by Kaz’s speed, but uses his size advantage to try and keep Hayashi down. When Disco thinks he can run a bit, Kaz dodges his attack and picks up the pace. Kaz hits a lovely running, twisting Tsukahara to Disco outside the ring, and then unloads with high-risk offense back inside the squared circle. He gets two on a big crossbody before Disco slows things down with a vertical suplex and a second-rope elbow that scores two of this own. Disco follows up with a legdrop, but goes to the well once too often and misses another second-rope elbow.

• Kaz wisely speeds the match back up, sits Disco down with a rib-breaker, and hits a gorgeous moonsault that I was SURE was the finish, but no, it only got 2.9. Sonny Onoo, who really does not need to be on television this late into 1998, walks out to observe. Kaz gets two off a superplex, then is distracted by Onoo jabbering at him from outside the ring about how he, Onoo, is undefeated and therefore the best Japanese wrestler in the company. Kaz chases Onoo, who runs around the ring and then into the ring and out the other side. Kaz chases him directly into the boot of a recovered Disco, who quickly lands a jumping piledriver for three. Good TV match, but it was marred by Sonny Onoo being useless on television.

• I didn’t miss Gene Okerlund these past couple of shows, but here he is on Nitro once again to introduce Booker T. into the aisle for an interview. Booker recounts Stevie Ray being a petty little jealous bitch from a few weeks back. However, Booker wants to let things lie between them - for now, at least - because he and Stevie are still family. Instead, he wants to focus on the guy who bashed his knee in that attack when we last saw him on television (Show #155)…and the reveal – since we didn’t see the attack as it happened, only the aftermath - is that it was Scott Hall. That was not implied (it was visually implied that Stevie did it himself). Really, I would prefer to see what Bret can do with a good, but still in need of seasoning type of guy like Booker. I guess Bret’s tied up with Page and Sting, so we can’t get Booker/Bret picking up where it left off with Bret injuring his knee. I do love the angle idea that Bret makes way too many enemies in a short space and gets overwhelmed, though. Anyway, Booker wants to meet Hall in the ring tonight for a spirited physical discussion regarding the unfortunate incident which took place between them on that hot August night.

• ARR ME MATEYS, no, I changed my mind, I don’t get a kick out of Scott Putski coming out here dressed in a puffy shirt anymore. Fit Finlay has been really fun bullying his opponents lately. I hope he doesn’t give Putski much of this match. Immediately, Putski dominates early. BOOOO. Putski misses an elbowdrop, which allows Finlay to take over and do a little bit of clubberin’. Finlay lands a nice short-arm clothesline for two. He pulls Putski’s nose and kicks his spine, but Putski keeps fighting. BOOOO. Stop fighting, Putski. Just take offense and look up at the lights when it’s all over. Putksi irritates me by getting in some more offense, like considerably too much offense for this guy. Putski calls for the Polish Hammer. No one cares. He tries to fire them up again and Ft. Lauderdale gives him a pity cheer. Finlay ducks the move, hits a rolling fireman’s carry slam, and drops Putski with a Tombstone for three. You can guess what issues I had with the layout of this match.

• Raven sits in the back and is real bummed out. He cuts a sad promo in which he quotes Garrett Dylan’s dad, but Kanyon cuts in on it and craps on him for being a sad boy.

• We get a video recap of Chris Jericho trolling Goldberg. Jericho will be putting his gold on the line against current Cruiserweight Champ Billy Kidman later tonight. Jericho should be able to drag something fun out of this guy.

• Ernest Miller (w/Sonny Onoo) shadow kicks his way to the ring. The Cat cuts a terrible heel promo before the match, but the funny background event is that Onoo explains to Penzer that the Cat is a three-time karate champion in intricate fashion. One of Them Armstrong Boys runs to the ring. I start to nod off. It’s Scott, Tony S. tells me. Scott did get kicked in the head by the Cat a few weeks ago. He gets kicked in the head again in like thirty seconds and loses. The Cat attacks Scott after the match, so Steve runs in to break it up and, after the Cat attacks him, Steve throws hands. Onoo distracts Steve, and Steve turns around into a side kick and the Cat makes the ref count another three. This was pretty crappy until the Cat grabs the mic again and yells: I WHOOPED THE WHOLE ARMSTRONG FAMILY. NOW I WANT BULLET. WHERE’S BULLET? I WANNA WHOOP THEIR DAD. OK, that did get a genuine laugh out of me.

• Wrath is very intense as he preps for another Nitro match and another victory, this time against – ugh – Kendall Windham, who deservedly gets a jobber entrance because he absolutely sucks. Like Scott Putski did a couple matches ago, Windham gets too much offense, but at least Wrath doesn’t take as long to mow him down. It only takes a couple of minutes for Wrath to shrug off Windham’s offense and land a Meltdown for three.

• We get another video of Bret Hart annihilating dudes with chairs and bats and such. I still don’t want to boo Bret.

• The Hitman walks to the ring to interview with Gene Okerlund, but Bret’s working a groin injury to dodge his match tonight against Lex Luger. Gene straight out says that Bret’s working an injury to avoid Lex, and then tries to provoke Bret into a situation. That’s what Bret says in those exact words, and though Gene denies it, we know Gene is a lying little asshole. Bret basically says he’s teaching lessons out here each week: Page should never celebrate until he’s out of the ring and away from his opps, and Sting should stop bringing bats to the ring that might be used against him. Fair! Lex Luger comes to the ring, disgusted by the Hitman’s cowardice. Luger tries to bait the Hitman into fighting him, but Bret insists that the experts have told him that his groin is shot. Luger, in disbelief of Bret's lies, decides to do the biggest babyface act I’ve seen in awhile, which is hitting Okerlund’s punk ass with a glancing blow while clotheslining the Hitman. Luger racks the Hitman and then stomps him out. I wish I could have replaced “the Hitman” with “Okerlund” in that last sentence, but alas.

• Ric Flair “wrestles” on television to night again, this time in video of Hogan beating Flair up in a cage at Havoc ’94. Mr. T is there for some reason. I don’t remember this at all. Honestly, when Hogan came in, I think what happened is I tuned out a lot of WCW. I was watching WCW pretty religiously each week, both WCWSN and Worldwide, between about 1992 and 1994. I did watch into 1994, but not for long after Hogan showed up. By October of ’94, I was pretty much a WWF Superstars/Mania/Action Zone/RAW viewer, and that’s all, until Nitro started up in fall of 1995.

• After a short reel of clips showing Hogan hitting offense in this match, the Four Horsemen come to the ring to cut an interview with Gene Okerlund. Arn, like Lex Luger in the segment before him, is confused about all this cowardly ducking that Bischoff is doing. He’s decided that Bisch ducks the Horsemen rather than face them head-on because Bischoff does not conform to the somewhat regressive ideal of manhood that, while problematic in many ways, generally makes the kayfabed aspects of pro wrestling so fucking great IMO, look, that’s how I feel. Arn challenges Bischoff to a metaphorical (possibly literal?) knife fight to show that he’s got a little bit of the somewhat regressive ideal of manhood in him. Flair follows up and yells and WOOs and such. This angle sucks because it’s all talking and stupid segments and not the Horsemen doing the business. They let Malenko and Benoit talk, unfortunately. It’s not good. Then, they let Mongo talk, and it’s pretty good! He calls Bischoff a Shetland pony. OK, sure! Also, Malenko is going to probably continue Raven’s losing streak later tonight.

• The Nitro Girls hype video plays. The Nitro Girls dance in real life. A Nitro Party hype video plays. There’s a break. A Goldberg hype video plays. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a wrestling match on this wrestling show, not counting the clipped Havoc match, huh?

• Hey, a wrestling match! Scott Norton (w/IWGP title, Vincent) faces Van Hammer, which might be interesting. Actually, yeah, while short, it is interesting, especially the part where Norton powerbombs Hammer for the win. He muscled that guy up and over. It looked cool.

• We get footage of Bret Hart getting his ribs taped backstage. It’s scintillating!

• Back in the ring, we join Perry Saturn in the progress of making a challenge to Eddy Guerrero for a one-on-one match without Eddy’s lWo flunkies jumping in. Eddy comes down sans entrance music and accepts the challenge. He enters the ring and Saturn immediately kicks the dog shit out of the dude. It rules. Saturn hits a sit-out facebuster and tries to hit a DVD, but Eddy hits a Frankensteiner to escape it, lands a brainbuster, and goes up for a Frog Splash. Saturn cuts that off and hits a huge top-rope belly-to-belly, then goes up himself and lands a guillotine legdrop for 2.9. Man, if you want to see a couple of guys drop bombs on one another for a couple of minutes, you could do worse!

• Saturn hits a Falcon Arrow, and that brings the lWo down to trigger a mob beatdown of Saturn. Konnan trots down to break it all up. Huh, Konnan cuts a very good promo in which he gets Saturn to back off by likening what Eddy is doing to the luchadores with what Raven did to the Flock. This convinces Saturn to leave so that Konnan can address the lWo and break their programming as Saturn did for the Flock. What a nice touch that was! So, they cut this promo battle that is really edgy, actually, in that the undercurrent of their heated conversation is that the Mexican Latinos don’t consider the Cuban Latino to be a “real Latino.” Then, Eddy basically says, Fuck outta here, go hang out with your white friends in the Wolfpac. I’m not Latino, but I am black, and Eddy dropped that your white friends part with the sort of derisive venom that I have heard black folks say to one another when having tense conversations about race and. Konnan asserts in Spanish that Cubans and Puerto Ricans are as Latin as any other Latino to a sizeable pop. Then Eddy threatens Konnan and leaves; Konnan is met in the aisle by annoying former Mariner shortstop Alex Rodriguez in a show of brotherhood. That was some real shit, actually. I was impressed with this segment, though of course, I’m assuming that it’ll go pear-shaped since it’s centered on race and ethnicity.

• We get a recap of Buff and Scotty Steiner beating up J.J. Dillon. Scotty and Buff come out here together. Kenny Kaos hits the entrance with J.J. Dillon alongside him. Scotty storms toward Dillon and right past that punk ass Kenny Kaos, who doesn’t do anything to even try and back Scotty away from Dillon. Scotty shoves Dillon, yells YOU AIN’T DOING SHIT TO ME a couple times, then grabs a mic and declares that WCW SUCKS before storming off. Dillon joins the desk to say something, but it gets cut off by a commercial break.

• When we get back, there's no sign of Dillon, Kaos, or ScottyPsicosis is walking out here in an lWo shirt. Man, they’re wasting this guy. He’s such a talented dick heel who is being lost within this ultimately ineffectual heel group. Rey Misterio Jr. is his dance partner tonight; Rey’s got a new rap theme that I totally forgot about until this moment. Rey and Psicosis have wonderful chemistry, of course, so I do have expectations even for a random Nitro match between the two. Rey grounds Psicosis early, and then after a chop exchange, he somersaults up and into a seated position on a standing Psicosis’s head, then hits a Frankensteiner. Come on, that is absurd athleticism. Just stupid. And this guy has had multiple knee injuries and is wearing a brace, and he pulled that spot off. There is a more-than-reasonable argument that Rey is the greatest athlete to ever step into the ring. Anyway, Rey’s offense is cut off when he gets himself caught in a seated position in the corner and Psicosis grabs him and powerbombs him.

• Psicosis hits a slingshot legdrop to the outside because he is pretty daring himself. He rolls Rey back in the ring, but only gets two. Psicosis gets up yelling HEY GIMME THREE at Charles Robinson before remembering that he has an image to uphold as an lWo member and switching to yelling GIMME TRES instead. Tony S. notes that Bischoff basically created the lWo by being a dick to Eddy Guerrero, and I am reminded that Bischoff was setting up a face turn for Eddy before he realized that his audience wasn’t going to cheer for a Mexican wrestler rallying other Mexican wrestlers around him. What a dope. Meanwhile, Rey tries a moonsault and is caught, which sets off a nice exchange that ends with Psicosis missing a splash and eating a springboard senton splash for two. Rey whips Psicosis to the ropes, but gets kicked on a duckdown and front slammed for two. Psicosis takes over, lands a second-rope Frankensteiner for two, and then wipes out trying to body splash Misterio against the ropes. Misterio smells blood, lands a flying headscissors and a facebuster, and goes for the kill…when the lWo walks back out. This distracts Misterio enough that Psicosis recovers; Misterio tries a top-rope rana, but Psicosis counters that into a diving powerbomb that gets three.

• There is an interesting angle possible here where Konnan and Rey, who beefed back in 1996, have to learn to trust one another to take down the lWo, but I have zero percent confidence that WCW could pull this off even if they let Konnan and Eddy manage a lot of the creative aspects themselves. The bonus is that it would be pretty daring for this angle to prove heel Eddy right – creative would be putting all the Latinos in a side angle to fight one another away from the rest of the company – if they would let Eddy address that he's being shunted into a feud with Konnan and Rey as it happens. There’s potential here, but I’m not sure an American wrestling company other than Lucha Underground would have enough vision and consideration of the sociopolitical story hooks at play to make it work, and of course, this is probably too grounded and not fantastical enough for LU.

• Gene Okerlund interviews Chris Jericho. Jericho references the Exposed! Pro Wrestling’s Greatest Secrets Revealed special (starring Harley Race) before saying that he’s got a secret, and the secret is that he respects Bill Goldberg. That’s an obvious and blatant lie; Jericho pretends to have been a better football player and then facetiously wishes Goldberg the best in all his future endeavors. What the hell, is Goldberg getting released? Did we slip the timestream and end up in 2009 WWE?

• Raven’s little losing streak angle also has potential, but I don’t think they’ve done enough to a) center the loss of his Flock as a catalyst even though that’s pretty clearly what has sparked this, or to b) explain why Kanyon still doggedly hangs out with the guy. Raven sits in the corner while Dean Malenko circles him, all excited about having a wrestling match. Raven finally stands up with body language that screams “let’s get this over with.” Malenko stomps out Raven, who is openly telling Malenko to hit him. So, Malenko does. Raven’s first offensive move is a forearm to the penis, followed by stomps and bites (these follow-up attacks are not to the penis, for clarification). Raven sets up for an Evenflow, and Malenko just walks forward so that they tumble out of the ring through the middle rope. Well, that’s one way to break the hold.

• Lodi runs down with a sign that asks Raven why Raven’s “doing this to [him]self,” but Mongo runs down and whips the little runt with a belt. Meanwhile, Raven’s grabbed a chair, which he sets up in the ring and lands a drop toehold upon. Raven has control, so he presses the advantage by sitting down for a bit. He gets up and lands some stomps, then gets the chair again after it was tossed away by the ref. He sets it between the top and middle buckles in the corner and then tries to whip Malenko into it; Malenko counters into a sleeper, but that gets countered into a back suplex. Someone’s hitting that chair, though, and it’s Raven a few seconds later. Malenko pops off a bunch of offense culminating in a vertical suplex for two. He hits an overhead release belly-to-back, but tries another and is countered with elbows. Raven flips around and hooks Malenko for a DDT, but Malenko trips Raven.

• So, then we get this chaotic finish where Kanyon runs out, Benoit runs out and attacks Kanyon, and then the Hitman runs out to attack Benoit since, oh yeah, Bret tried to get Benoit to join nWo Hollywood and failed. That was back in, what, February of 1998 or so that the angle took place? Lex Luger runs down to face off with Bret, but the Giant comes out, saves Bret, and says he’ll take Bret’s place in his match against Luger later tonight. Well, that was a lot of stuff that happened. It felt chaotic, but not in a way that wowed me. It just felt like the attention was taken off of Raven and put onto more of this heel Bret stuff that I don’t care about.

• Billy Kidman and Chris Jericho have a title match, but only for Jericho’s title. Jericho stops on the ramp, primps his hair, and then turns to the side and primps what little hair Ralphus still has, hahaha! That was pretty classic. Meanwhile, I am very low on Kidman. Now, back in 1998 – 2001, I thought he was solid, but I wasn’t a big Kidman fan like quite a few folks seemed to be. On re-watch, I find the guy boring. He was fun doing run-ins with the Flock and wrestling as a heel against Juvi, but as a babyface, he’s a charisma vacuum who wrestles average matches.

• Kidman tries to use his hops to work Jericho over, but Jericho just catches him and launches him over the top rope. Jericho goes on the attack. He gets one off a stalling vertical suplex and a wimpy pin. Jericho lands some chops, but Kidman fires back with a lariat; then, he uses his tank top to choke Jericho. Jericho does a big press and dumps Kidman on his face shortly after that, though, and he soon puts Kidman in a backbreaker. Jericho is certain that he got a submission, is told that he did not by Charles Robinson, and throws a tantrum. This tantrum does not change Charles Robinson’s call.

• Jericho continues to control, but after a body slam, he takes a lot f time to go up top. When he finally dives, he eats double boots, which causes a Kidman comeback. Kidman gets two off a springboard bulldog, then two off a sit-out slam. Kidman tries a victory roll next, but Jericho dumps him and tries to hook on the Walls. Kidman fights it, so Jericho slingshots him and then hits a sloppy German suplex for two. This is a decent finishing run, and it picks up when Kidman blocks a powerbomb attempt with a facebuster and then goes up for the SSP. Unfortunately, the next big spot looks ugly; Kidman drops an SSP, but he’s the guy to get hurt because Jericho forearms him in theballs on his way down. It’s just not visually clean enough and I had to play it twice to see it. Still, they pick it back up, including with a nice Kidman counter of another Walls attempt with a flash pin that gets 2.9. Anyway, Kidman unloads with offense, but time runs out. That’s a reasonable use of a time-limit draw, to get a guy a level beneath the champ over as a contender. It was fine, with a mostly-good finishing run, but this push is wasted on Kidman.

• J.J. Dillon and Kenny Kaos are back out at the desk to finally say what they were going to say. Dillon drops a couple of huge fines on Buff and Scotty, and Scotty storms the desk on a complete juiced up rage while Buff tries to stop him. Everyone scatters and Scotty storms to the ring, grabs a mic, and honestly, this feels pretty dangerous. Who knows what he’s going to say? He says that WCW sucks and that he’s got a lot of rage inside him. No kidding. He says that WCW can send anyone after him and it doesn't matter, then calls out Roddy Piper and uses a word for gay folks that he deploys as a slur. The captioner for this episode either misheard Scotty or took Scotty's inability to speak as a way to cover his slur; the captioner writes out the phrase that Scotty used as the word “excruciating,” and heh, it did kinda sound like he might have said that, even if it would have made no sense to use that word in the context he was using it. Buff pretends to try and calm things down, going so far as to ask Kenny Kaos to come to the ring for a peaceful conversation. Now, maybe Kaos hasn’t seen any of the television lately, I don’t know, but Kaos is like, Hey, this seems like a safe conversation to have, sure, why not, and he’s immediately jumped and Steiner Recliner’d while Buff calls him stupid. Well…yeah. The man is stupid.

• I bet Eric Bischoff got a call from Turner S&P on Tuesday morning, and for good reason. Maybe playing into Scott Steiner’s IRL 'roid rages by telling him to 'roid rage on live television so that he can be a bigger heel was a poor idea? On the other hand, I can only imagine what would have happened on the mic if Scotty was in the WWF at the time. I’m kinda glad he wasn’t.

• Scott Hall comes to the ring, cuts a survey, and I hope that we’re safely done with that stupid “alcoholic Hall” angle. I hope. I shouldn’t feel that safe about it because it’s WCW. Hall jumps Booker as soon as Booker steps through the ropes. Hall throws some punches, but gets countered with a flying forearm. Booker wipes Hall out and sends him outside with a Harlem Sidekick. Hall doesn’t fare much better back in the ring; he eats another roundhouse kick and basically gets knocked around. Hall’s able to get some space by catching a crossbody and hitting a fallaway slam. Hall keeps a bit of sustained control, but when he paintbrushes Booker, that wakes Book up. Book fires back with punches, but Hall ducks a dropkick and gets two off a follow-up elbowdrop and cover. Hall fires Book to the ropes and locks on a sleeper, but the crowd is more interested in either a fight or some lady showing her boobs, and they pretty much miss the sleeper and Booker hitting a jawbreaker to escape it.

• This is a solid match; Booker’s comeback is again stifled, this time by a clothesline. Hall again paintbrushes the guy and wakes him up. Maybe that’s a bad strategy, Hall? Hall maintains control with strikes, however, but makes the mistake of getting Booker running. Booker ends up landing an axe kick after getting whipped to the ropes. Book lands another roundhouse kick, then scores a back suplex and a Spinaroonie before heading up top. Hall gets up and blocks a missile dropkick with the referee’s body. Hall gets DQ’d by the substitute ref as Booker backdrops Hall out of a Razor’s Edge attempt. Well, that was a limp ending. They have a good PPV match in them if they can squeeze it in before, like February or March of next year.

• Michael Buffer is your ring announcer for the Giant and Lex Luger, who are main eventing this Nitro. These fellas had one of the great Nitro-era matches at Starrcade ’96, but believe me when I say that I don’t expect anything near that tonight. Actually, it’s funny, but I think back to that match and then look at this perfectly cromulent short television match and wonder at how ’96 Giant was so badly wasted, or more accurately ’97 Giant after his January babyface turn. This is a Luger TV match, so obviously the Giant puts in a bunch of offense on Luger until the end. We do get a nice side Russian and a couple of sweet elbowdrops. The crowd chants for Goldberg while the Giant commences a slow, but generally entertaining beatdown. I mean, it’s long in the tooth because Luger is totally disinterested in doing anything but taking a couple of bumps, eating strikes, and yelling AWUAUGH. I don’t blame the Giant for that, though. It’s weird because Luger came out looking like a beast earlier when he beat the shit out of Bret, so maybe he shouldn’t have sold so much in this match to keep his aura of ass-kickery up? I’m not sure the layout works. Luger eventually just Hulks up and does his punch/lariat/forearm comeback offense. The Giant wobbles, but does manage a goozle on Luger; Luger hits a jawbreaker to escape, then body slams Giant and hits him with a metal forearm. That’s the Hitman’s cue, as he runs out with a section of metal railing and destroys Luger’s knee with it as Luger tries to rack the Giant. Well, at least Luger’s lucky enough to run in a stable that is out here to keep this from getting out of hand. Wait, what’s that, you say? The Wolfpac is nowhere to be seen? Konnan doesn’t even bother coming back out here? Goldberg is the one who has to come out and save Luger? Goldberg runs out to a pop, spears the Giant, and then tries to spear Bret, but actually spears Luger when Bret ducks out of the way in a carbon copy of the Nash spear stuff from awhile ago. I mean, this wasn’t bad, but it’s another example of the main event scene feeling aimless.

• This show had surprisingly good talking, to the point that I’d say that this is a rare case (the first case?) in which I generally enjoyed the talking more than the wrestling on a Nitro-era WCW show.

• We’re in this strange place right now with WCW’s storylines. The most interesting one is Goldberg/Jericho, and that’s not going anywhere. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t think WCW has any chance of making the Konnan/lWo feud work because it’s just too challenging to get right for this company and its creative leadership. After that, woof. I can’t get behind Bret Hart destroying the limbs of babyfaces every week with a different weapon or the Horsemen feuding with Eric Bischoff. The golden era of WCW ended at Road Wild 1998 when Chavo/Eddy and Jericho’s Cruiserweight title run ended. After that point, they only had the Saturn/Flock angle as their single compelling angle instead of having all three of those angles going at the same time. While they might hit on a good storyline or two in 1999, I don’t think they’ll ever get back that feeling for me that they’re putting multiple angles out at the same time that have me sitting down for these shows with some excitement, at least not until mid-2000-ish, maybe. I do remember being into Shane Helms chasing Chavo Jr. and Scott Steiner putting babyfaces out of pro wrestling as the champ at the same time in 2001.

• I’m also dreading the losses of the Giant, Chris Jericho, and the Radicalz over the next fifteen months of television. We’re just at the point where between holding on to too much post-prime talent and letting too much fresh talent escape to the direct competition, WCW struggles to get anything right. This was a bang average Nitro, but I’m thinking that “bang average” in this era is actually pretty good. 3 out of 5 Stinger Splashes.
  • Like 1

Thunder Interlude – show number thirty-nine – 5 November 1998

"The WCW Gang gets strangely creative about putting on an awful show”

• There’s a “technical difficulties” notice on the front of this episode of Thunder…I hope whatever the technical difficulties are, they happen whenever Bischoff or Hogan is on screen if they are on this show…

• The desk congratulates Jesse Ventura on winning the governorship in Minnesota…I mean, when it comes to celebrity governors, you could do much, much worse…Oh no, Ventura winning triggered the Hulkster, who is going to announce that he’s running for POTUS on Nitro…Like I said, you could do much, much worse…On another note, I cannot wait to vote against The Rock when that doofus actually does run for POTUS, and you know he will…Heenan sells that he’ll be moving to Canada if Hogan wins…They have a whole tiered visa system, and I don’t think wrestling commentators are really in need there…

• Kanyon has a small spot of trouble with Barry Horowitz in their match…Raven barely pays attention from ringside…He’s brooding so much, I bet Jane Eyre would fall in love with him…Kanyon gives a surprising amount of offense to Horowitz and even eats two on a rollup…Commentary yammers on about Hogan’s announcement…Horowitz slips out of a top-rope fallaway slam and sunset flip powerbombs Kanyon for two (!!!)…Horowitz reels off a couple clotheslines, but he gets his arm hooked on his third one, and Kanyon hits a Flatliner for three…I guess Horowitz must have been kind to Kanyon at some point in Kanyon’s career because he got a ton of offense in that short match…

• Buff Bagwell introduces Scott Steiner…Steiner goes to the ring to cut an unhinged promo…He insults what may be the home base of DVDVR, Roanoke…How dare he…Steiner shouts out his Virginia freaks…Buff takes the mic and propositions the ladies with a little bit of sexual innuendo…Steiner promises to continue making J.J. Dillon’s life miserable…He then calls out the Wolfpac and says that he’ll destroy the whole group by himself…He also plans to out-flex Lex Luger later tonight…He ends the segment by practicing for that showdown by flexing…Welp, that was a segment that happened…

• Raven heads right back out here by himself in a great Silver Surfer tee…That’s my favorite t-shirt Raven's worn yet…He’ll face off with Alex Wright…They sure keep pimping this Hogan deal…I can’t express enough how un-hyped they’ve made me for the next Nitro where Hogan will go on and on about running…That show might start at MINUS FIVE STARS STINGER SPLASHES by default…Wright hits his catchphrase, says something in German, insults Raven for being monolingual, and then claims that Raven is a lazy bum who doesn’t wash and isn’t cut…For some reason, he talks into the hard cam even though Raven is right there in the ring with him…Raven crawls out of the corner and headbutts Wright in the sack, and he does so with no resistance since Wright has his back to him…

• Wright leaves the ring and damn near the arena itself, so Raven sits down again, and Wright runs back up behind Raven and jumps him…What a curious match this is…They pick it up and get very pacey with it…Lodi comes to the ring to exhort Raven to cheer up…That seems to have done the opposite of its intention and bummed Raven out, and Raven sits down in the corner…For some reason, Disco comes out here and can’t back Lodi off with words, so he backs him off with a fist…Kanyon runs out and attacks Disco…WTF is even happening right now?...Raven and Wright brawl outside…Back in the ring, Raven blocks a Wright top-rope move and then, uh, he actually does leave, losing by count-out…No wonder Raven wanted to get the fuck out of this company…What even is this stupid angle?...

• Tony S. interviews Chris Jericho in the aisle…Ralphus is finally called by name on television (unless it happened on a WCWSN ep I missed)…Jericho’s hairdo is really something…Jericho says that he respects Greenberg, er, Goldberg…Jericho says that he’s the champion of everyone who watches television…Jericho: “If you’re married to your remote, you’re married to Chris Jericho”…I want an annulment…Jericho, like WCW does to Goldberg’s streak, is just adding random numbers to his winning streak over Goldberg…Jericho is a comedic gem here in 1998…

• Fit Finlay faces Booker T. in a revival of their TV title mini-feud from earlier in the year…Finlay grounds Booker with apron attacks and strikes…Booker fights back and gets two off a flying forearm…The desk discusses what I thought as well: That Stevie had attacked Booker and joined the nWo…That it was Hall was as surprising to me as it was to them, and that’s probably a shoot…Booker makes another comeback, hits a back suplex, and Spinaroonie’s up…Finlay hits a desperation shoulder charge and lands a flipping fireman’s carry slam…Finlay follows up with a corner charge, but Booker flips over him and hooks his legs around Finlay’s body for a flash sunset flip that gets three…Decent television bout…

• Tony S. mentions A-Rod’s punk ass showing up on Nitro and claims that Rodriguez and Konnan were childhood friends, and wait, is this true?...Heenan says that Konnan is loyal…Uh, hold on, I seem to remember something about Konnan jumping rapidly from the Dungeon of Doom to the nWo and then splitting off into the Wolfpac…There’s a Konnan hype video that’s basically a bilingual rap video…This is the right video in the right era for the wrong company and fanbase…

• Ernest Miller (w/Sonny Onoo) does his shtick before his match…Miller threatens to beat up Ali…Oh, and Holyfield…Then he crudely insults the crowd…He gets me to laugh, and I really do judge myself for it…He challenges anyone in the locker room, and Kaz runs in and attacks Sonny Onoo…While that’s happening, uh, Glacier’s music plays?...Honestly, I don’t want to see Glacier again until that entirely-too-short-lived angle he does with Norman Smiley that I genuinely and deeply loved during dying-era WCW…I guess Kaz just got his ass kicked because Miller is ready to fight…Yeah, Kaz is just laid out in the corner of the ring…Glacier grabs a mic and, rather than fighting his old buddy, claims that he and Miller are both being screwed by the company because they’re karate masters…Glacier promises to watch Miller’s back, but Miller is disinterested…That’s it, that’s the segment…What the fuck is wrong with this show?...What strange choices they’ve made for formatting these segments…

• Horace Hogan walks to the ring flanked by B-Teamers…excuse me, flanked by B-Teamers, Scott Hall, and the IWGP champ…Norman Smiley is going to job to Horace, which I don’t appreciate…I still think Horace is a decent enough television worker…He does put in the effort…He’s not a totally useless fuck in the ring like Scott Putski or Kendall Windham…However, I’m just not interested in Horace outside of the Flock…That was a good spot for him creatively…Horace completely squashes Smiley, finishing him off with a mediocre brainbuster…

• Eddy Guerrero comes to the ring as I think about how bad this show has been…It’s been bad, but in a completely different and unique way than WCW shows of this era are usually bad…Rey Misterio Jr. comes out to face Eddy, and I’m rooting for it to be good so that I have reason to give this Thunder a WOO and not an OWW…Eddy grabs a mic before the match and is angry about Rey turning down the lWo…Eddy says there’s a stip on this match that says that if Eddy wins, Rey has to join the lWo…Wait, this is just what they did with Eddy and Chavo earlier this year, but dumb and boring instead of engrossing and entertaining…Rey resolves to fight Eddy rather than simply join up…Eddy slaps Rey, so Rey gets up, runs, and sends Eddy tumbling with a series of headscissors and armdrags…Eddy pretends that he wants to shake Rey’s hand and uses that bluff to get close and hit a lariat…Rey makes an immediate comeback…Rey lands a Bronco Buster, but it’s half-assed at this point and not as energetic as he'd hit it in 1999…Eddy makes a comeback by targeting Rey’s reconstructed knee…Eddy locks up Rey’s knee in a legbar going into a commercial break…

• When we come back, Eddy is still attacking the knee and Tony S. is still talking about Hogan’s announcement on Nitro…I can’t believe Rey is just stuck in this company until it ends…He’s one of the last Cruiserweight Tag Champs, if I recall…I hate this lWo angle, and I hate how it’s sucking all these Mexican wrestlers who deserve better into it…Rey hits a huge splash from the top to Eddy on the outside to turn the tide…Tony S. and Bobby H. argue about whether or not Rey should wear a visible brace and if doing so attracts attention to the knee…They both make good points amidst the bickering…Meanwhile, Eddy attacks the knee, takes the brace off, and stomps Rey's injured joint as the lWo comes out to watch the show…Eddy puts on a, gosh, I don’t know, a standing Figure Four variation?...Apparently, there was a time limit on this, so the match expired even though Rey slapped the mat and it looks like he gave up…What the fuck?...What is up with the random TV time limits that only exist when they need them to exist to run an angle?...What a weird show…What a weird, bad show…That match was acceptable, but not good enough to overcome all this *waves hands around in the general direction of my Chromebook screen*…

• Chris Jericho reignites his feud with Prince Iaukea…Sign: My name is Matty Dee and I’m a Jerichoholic…Hey, does a certain DVDVR poster by a similar name live in the area and have a totally embarrassing television appearance on a random Thunder to his name, or are we talking two different Matty Dees?...Yes commentary, let’s talk about Hogan’s running mate some more…Let’s do it, I’m in wrestling hell…Torture me, I’m already tortured…Jericho screaming HELP ME while he gets beaten up is always funny to me, a guaranteed chuckle at this point…Jericho finally takes over and hits a spot that I think he should definitely keep doing, a stalling vertical suplex followed by a wimpy pin…This match is decent enough, but they have had better bouts before…The finishing run is notably better than what came before it, with a handful of counters…There’s a nice series of roll-through counters that end with Iaukea rolling through a Jericho Walls attempt and getting 2.9 off a flash pin…Iaukea tries a victory roll and gets dumped and put in a legitimate Lion Tamer…Jericho garners a submission out of that move…

• Disco dances to the ring as Heenan suggests that Ted Turner might be Hogan’s veep…Look, if our country just has to be run by businessmen or entertainers rather than policy experts, academics, and scientists, you could do worse than Ted Turner at the top of the ticket…Oops, now I'm talking politics again...No politics, WCW, you fuckheads…Scott Hall (w/B-Teamers, w/o an alcoholic drink, thankfully) is going to face Disco…Actually, Disco’s not interested in facing a whole grip of nWo members and leaves…No, wait, as smart as it was to leave, unfortunately he backed right into the Giant in the aisle, who sent him right back into the ring…Disco gets rolled, makes a small comeback, and gets tripped by a B-Teamer on a rope run…Hall drills a Razor’s Edge for three after that…

• Tony S. is in the middle of the ring to talk to Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen…Well, minus Mongo McMichael…They’ll need a replacement for Mongo soon, but I cannot recall whom they replaced him with…Arn mentions the nWo sending six guys out there to beat Disco Inferno in a derisive manner…Arn wonders where Eric Bischoff has been lately…Not on television, and let’s keep it that way, Arn…Malenko and Benoit talk, but I tune them out…Benoit outside of the Horsemen had been getting way over just through his work, and this feels like a step back for him since he’s come back from injury…Flair teases Tony S. about Tony coming to see Flair wrestle as a young man and then threatens Bisch…Flair also shouts out Jesse Ventura and, uh, threatens to run for office, too…Let’s keep those aspirations to WCW Commissioner, buddy, let’s aim low…This feud sucks, by the way…The crowd loves Flair talking about respect and thrusting his junk into the camera, though…I can’t judge them…If you’re from the Mid-Atlantic region, you are (legally? spiritually?) required to love Flair’s antics in the ring…

• Scott Steiner (w/Buff Bagwell) and Lex Luger face off in the main event…Scotty Steiner threatens Nick Patrick since Patrick was involved in that shitty Havoc match between him and his brother…Scotty puts the boots to Patrick, hits a weak Oklahoma Stampede, and then tries to break Patrick's ankle by yanking it over the top rope…Luger runs down to the ring for the save…Luger throws a lot of punches…Luger gets kicked in the balls and Steiner rushes off to punch Patrick’s injured leg as Patrick is taken off on a gurney…Uh, are we getting Nick Patrick involved in storylines again?...Let’s make this a one-off…Luger relaxes sells some choke-punch offense…A hockey stick blade gets involved, but it doesn’t make this beatdown interesting or violent…There hasn’t been a ref this whole time…Buff gets a mic and mocks Luger, so Luger reaches over from his position lounging selling on the mat and punches him…Buff is working his hardest on the outside to be a loudmouth annoying heel, but this is the same Luger match we always get on television…Luger makes his comeback and racks Steiner…Mickey Jay runs down to call the submission, but Buff jumps Jay…Wow, it’s almost like the Wolfpac should have sent, like, anyone down here to second Luger…Steiner beats up Jay and Rick Steiner finally is the one to come down for the save…Not a Wolfpac member…It’s hard to hold in my “they booked the Wolfpac even worse than they booked Goldberg” rant, but I’ll persevere…

• Well, that show was different…Ly bad…Differently bad…OWWW

Show #165 – 9 November 1998

“The one where Hulk Hogan runs for president, and you know what, if he did that today, in 2024, something like that would be so normalized that I wouldn’t even bat an eye”

• Shots of the White House, Congress, the Statue of Liberty, American flags, war memorials. Tony S. extols the virtues of a country where Hulk Hogan can run for president. Then he says that Uniondale, New York sold the building out in three hours. And you punish them with this shit? Tony S. says the POTUS will be here. Bill Clinton grew up in the Tri-States/Mid-South territory, so I doubt he's vibing with WCW in late 1998 as he'd probably be used to, you know, good wrestling shows. 

• There’s a Nitro Girls routine while Tony S. yammers on about bullshit. Then, we get a wrestling match. Oh wait, sorry, this is a wrestling show in late 1998. We don’t get a wrestling match. We get Gene Okerlund and Bobby Heenan standing around in the back waiting for the POTUS to show up. We also get one speeding limo chasing another and the Wolfpac jumping out of the chasing limo to beat up the guys in the other limo, who are nWo Hollywood.

• There’s a Hims commercial about ED on Peacock. Do y’all have any pills that will help me get up and stay up for the rest of this Nitro? Especially because I might have the urge to type FUCK THIS SHOW at least once or twice?

• The Nitro opener plays.

• We get a recap of Bret Hart attacking Chris Benoit during a Raven/Dean Malenko match and of Bret ducking Lex Luger in the ring before attacking Luger later in the night with a section of railing. Oh, and now here’s the end of the Bret/Sting Havoc match. Apparently Sting and DDP (the latter of whom thankfully we didn’t see attacked again) are out indefinitely. Uh, Page is the United States Champion, so I guess that belt doesn’t matter at all.

• Kaz Hayashi opens the wrestling part of the show against Juvi Guerrera. Hey, it comes nine minutes into the show, but it is a pacey Cruiserweight division opener! But thank goodness for these guys because they start out hot and – oh, wait, we cut away twenty seconds in to watch Eric Bischoff standing at the commentary desk, on the house mic, insulting people and saying that POTUS will be here tonight. We all know what the bait-and-switch is, it’s so fucking obvious, that I cannot believe that they’re making Tony S. and Mike T. sit there and be totally credulous about it. Oh yeah, there’s a match! Well, at least we only missed a half-minute of it. Kaz puts in work on Juvi for awhile and Juvi does a Hamrick bump! It rules. Kaz somersault splashes Juvi in a follow-up move. This is such a fun TV match; both guys are exceptionally crisp tonight. Kaz is a pretty good bully for such a small guy, too.

• Kaz and Juvi chop the hell out of one another while Tenay tells us that this is a return bout from one of the weekend shows and that Juvi won a squeaker on said show. Then, we get a commercial break, and I’m pleased that they’re going a bit longer than normal in this opener. Back from break, Juvi’s found a way to get the match back to standing. Well, actually, he’s got it back to running, as Juvi sends Kaz outside on a rope run and then hits a springboard crossbody to Kaz at ringside. Kaz slows thing back down in the ring with a shoulder block and lands a brainbuster that gets two. Both guys are tired and there’s an awkward spot that I’m not sure what it is, but Juvi saves it by hitting Kaz with a gourdbuster than hangs the guy on the ropes. Both men trade pinfall attempts and then, OH FUCK YOU, WCW, Ernest Miller comes to ringside with Sonny Onoo. We watch the Cat talk shit while Juvi lands a top-rope Frankensteiner. Juvi tries to hit a Juvi Driver, but Kaz flips out of it and lands a rollup, at which point the Cat runs a distraction and Sonny Onoo kicks Kaz in the head. Juvi easily reverses the pinfall for three.

• Well, I love a competitive match, but I don’t love the babyface beating the guy who is heeling in the match through a heel jumping in on the match. I don’t love Eric Bischoff getting on the house mic to tease Hulk Hogan Bill Clinton showing up to the arena. Bischoff-led WCW has no ability to get out of its own way. Something that should be a hot start to a show ends up being merely okay.

• The Nitro Girls do a routine in shiny pink overalls. I miss ‘90s era dance music. THIS IS THE RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT. Tony S. continues to bleed credibility on commentary.

• More recap, this time of Hall and Nash desperately needing a few counseling sessions together, but choosing to punch each other instead.

• Alex Wright OONCHA OONCHAs his way out to the ring to face Barry Horowitz. Horowitz gave quite a lot of trouble to Kanyon on the Thunder previous. Wright demands that Penzer tell the crowd to be completely silent so that Wright can concentrate on beating Horowitz in a funny little heel spot. It even gets Wright a weak ASSHOLE chant for a couple of minutes. Horowitz does considerably worse against Wright than he did against Kanyon. Tony S. freaks out over a couple of dudes in suits with ear mics walking around the ring to defend it from, well, I don’t know what. They couldn’t defend it from Ernest Miller and Sonny Onoo a few minutes ago. Wright is dominating Horowitz outside when the Wolfpac’s AHWOO goes off about fifteen seconds early. Wright looks around, doesn’t see the Wolfpac, and then fifteen seconds later, AHWOO goes off along with the actual theme and Wright looks around, sees the Wolfpac, and leaves.

• The Wolfpac (minus Savage and Sting, of course) speaks on this and is in the house and interrupted this match because fuck wrestling matches. You know what, I would gladly take all the micro matches that this era of WWF RAW had on television over what’s been on this show because if I recall correctly, at least most of them ended. Right? I’m probably remembering through a rose-colored memory cortex. Anyway, Nash quotes Popeye and then challenges nWo Hollywood to a three-on-three match in any combination…as long as Hall is out here. I was playing WCW Mayhem a couple days ago, and as I went through the character roster, I found that Disco Inferno was in the Wolfpac at some point in 1999. And, I guess, so was Hogan after the Fingerpoke of Doom merger. Oh wow, 1999 is going to be rough viewing.

• Eric Bischoff comes out to respond and accepts the challenge, but in an unclear sort of way that does not indicate that Hollywood will engage in a fair, straight up wrestling match against the Wolfpac. Nash insults Bischoff by calling him the absolute worst thing possible: a woman. Oh wow, the rest of 1998 is going to be rough viewing.

• Lodi has a sign that declares that he’ll be doing no more jobs in 1998. He’s here to do a job to, let’s see, Scott Norton. Norton lets Vincent hold the IWGP belt, which I think shouldn’t be allowed by Japanese, American, or international law. Norton wins with the powerbomb in about fifteen seconds. Moving on.

• Tony S. is in the ring to interview the fucking Disciple. The [CROWD CHEERING] caption on my screen is an entire-ass lie. There is dead silence out here. If Bisch couldn’t stand this guy, why did he send him out here on the main shows so often? Is the Hulkster back there demanding that this doofus get mic time? So, here’s what happens: Almost immediately, Stevie Ray, Horace, and Vincent come down here to confront him. They let Horace talk for some stupid-ass reason. Stevie can talk. Even Vincent can talk sometimes when he’s heeling. Horace cuts a vile promo, just terrible, while a few guys in the crowd chant BEEFCAKE and everyone else is silent. Horace tells the crowd to SHUT UP, but no one is making a sound except for the BEEFCAKE guys. Anyway, Horace stomps out this idiot Beefcake, or Disciple, or whatever, and then he chokes Disciple with the weight belt. I remember when Horace was a useful piece of the Flock. It wasn’t so long ago. Disciple turns the tide and stands his ground against all three guys for a few seconds before the numbers game takes over. Wait, here comes Warrior for the save. I guess this guy is still hanging around even though Hogan’s clearly done with him and is instead ready to leave television for awhile before getting his belt back run for POTUS. Anyway, this segment was very, very, very shitty television. Just excruciating stuff.

• It's hour number two, and Tony S. promises us a Konnan/Bret Hart match. The teacher of the Sharpshooter meets his student in what I consider a potential addition to the Charming Uniquities part of my master match list.

• *sigh* Gene Okerlund and Bobby Heenan are backstage to be super gullible and talk over some footage of a motorcade. This is also awful television in which we get audio of guys in suits kicking Okerlund and Heenan out of the backstage. What was on RAW at this time? Ooh, Mankind versus Ken Shamrock in a Hardcore Championship match! Also, Debra’s on television over there, being wasted since she's not really doing much heeling on the mic. You sign her and stick her with Jarrett again, you let her talk, dammit!

• Oh yeah, so this whole fucking segment goes on forever and “Hail to the Chief” plays and Tony S. acts like a goddam doofus and the crowd is deadly silent and a bunch of security morons stand around and Hollywood Hogan walks out wearing a Yankees beanie and some truly absurd sunglasses meant for someone twenty years younger than him and Tony S. confusedly asks WHERE IS THE PRESIDENT? and a giant American flag comes down from the rafters and there’s confetti everywhere and I am absolutely in hell and Hogan stands in the ring and salutes and Gene Okerlund is shocked at this charade, just shocked and Hogan calls Jesse “The Mind” instead of “The Body” even though these two hate each other because Jesse was trying to get a union going in the WWF and Hogan wouldn’t have that and Hogan cuts a terrible promo yet again like fucking clockwork.

• I’m hard-pressed to believe that Vince Russo’s Nitro could be worse than this. As bad? Sure. Worse? It's plausible, but I'm not taking it as a given.

• The Nitro Girls go retro clothes shopping and then to Studio 54 in a video. Then they do a dance. Look, I love the pretty ladies as much as anyone, but this is a wrestling show. We’ve had Kaz/Juvi end with a run-in, Wright/Horowitz end with a saunter-in, and Lodi/Norton end in fifteen seconds with a powerbomb.

• We are fifty-seven minutes into the actual run-time, not counting ad breaks, before Bret Hart walks out to wrestle Konnan. Wait, scratch that, Bret walks out in street clothes and totally unprepared to wrestle. We see video of the Hitman injuring DDP again. The Hitman gets a mic and craps on Lex Luger and Sting both. This fuckin’ SUCKS, man. He moves on to talk trash about DDP. It’s fine as a heel promo, but in this specific context – the context of this show formatting, the context of the Hitman’s arrival in WCW as an obvious, massive, can’t-miss babyface– it is not enjoyable whatsoever. Bret declares that he’s done with Luger, but looking forward to injuring Konnan, and then threatens everyone, including the Nitro Girls. Then we see more of the beatdown he gave DDP into the break.

• Tony S., as Eddy Guerrero walks to the ring: “Boy, we were all fooled by Hollywood Hogan, weren’t we?” Poor Tony S., having to sell this shit. Two lWo fans in the crowd wearing Rey and Psicosis masks and lWo t-shirts are basically the only sign that this angle isn’t a complete and total failure with everyone. Eddy and Rey are going to hook it up again, and I have zero excitement for it. When Eddy and Rey fought over custody of Dominick and people incorrectly complained about what was a fantastically fun, stupid storyline, they complained about how these two great talents were being deployed in a nonsense midcard storyline. They should have packaged up all that whining and complaining, and they should have time machined it back to late 1998, where it would have made some sense.

• Rey is defiant about not joining the lWo before the match starts and backs up his defiance with some solid offense when the match does start. Eddy tries to make friends with Rey, but it’s a fake-out so that he can slap the guy. Rey is non-plussed by this dastardly act and wins a headscissors. Eddy gets control by attacking Rey’s surgically-reconstructed knee. He locks on a kneebar and Rey taps the mat in pain, but since tapouts are a thing now, Tony S. has to tell everyone at home that Rey didn’t tap; some folks in the crowd yell YOU TAPPED OUT. Everyone’s still figuring out how to sell pain while in a submission without visually tapping out in this new era of tapouts in pro wrestling. I remember when guys started tapping out a la UFC in pro wrestling, and man, I loved the visual before WWE standardized it with the wrestler theatrically holding their hand high over the mat and teasing a tap out/trying to hold out and failing.

• Rey gets a couple of flash pinfall attempts in there, but Eddy takes out the knee and continues to work it in holds. The desk talks about Bret Hart while Eddy and Rey work another legbar. This isn’t a bad match, but there’s something missing. I guess I’m also waiting for what feels like an inevitable lWo run-in. Rey fights out of it, hits a few moves, but takes too much time to recover and gets dropkicked in the knee. It’s back to some knee work for Eddy, including a tope con hilo onto the knee. The match spills outside, where Eddy pins Rey’s knee between the steps and the post and dropkicks them. That’s a nice spot. Eddy puts Rey back in the ring and goes right back to the leg bar. This is a logical way to work the match, but man, am I pretty bored with the whole thing.

• Rey makes a comeback, hits a low-impact Bronco Buster, and gets a split-legged moonsault for two. He lands a pair of facebusters for two as well. Eddy blocks a slide-under on a rope run and hits an overhead suplex, and this is where Chavo Jr. comes out with Pepe. Chavo, who has been entirely wasted after he got way over, gets on the apron, grabs the lWo shirt, and distracts Eddy. This allows Rey to score a quick La Magistral for three; the rest of the lWo comes out and beats Chavo down until Rey pulls him out of the ring. This wasn’t good! It wasn’t terrible, but basically, we got a bunch of leg work to nowhere and another finish predicated on interference.

• The Konnan rap video plays. I appreciate the effort, but it's the wrong company for this.

• Eric Bischoff’s music plays and he comes to the ring with Liz. He just drives this show the rest of the way into the ground. I immediately start tuning him out, almost by reflex, and I have to go back to hear Bisch say that Ric Flair won’t be wrestling tonight. Did anyone expect him to? He then brings out some attorneys, fucking hell, look, unless it’s Clarence Mason doing a Johnnie Cochran impression, I don’t want attorneys coming to the ring in long talking segments. Or short talking segments. So, Bisch is mad that Dillon fined Scott Steiner and Buff Bagwell and spends a ton of time complaining about the attorneys in the ring who facilitated those fines. He then proceeds to "land" some awful worked kicks on them before leaving. This was deeply terrible. I feel like I’ve written some variation of that sentence about five times in this review.

• It’s hour number three, thank goodness. We start with review of Scott Steiner going on a dianabol freakout. Scotty and Buff walk out to the ring, but we cut to Mickey Jay saying that WCW referees looked at the ol’ union contract – hahaha, kidding, Georgia’s a right-to-work state – and now refuse to ref Scott Steiner matches. Scotty does his updated Superstar Graham gimmick except with more vascularity and sexual innuendos. However, his updated Master P catchphrase is definitely getting over. Buff talks and talks and the guy is entertaining, but again, in the context of this show, I’m over any more talking. Scotty wants a match with WCW’s best guy (his words), and Chris Adams comes out here. Oh WCW, will no one (with any chance in hell) defend your honor? This isn’t a match because there’s no ref, and basically Scotty and Buff beat him down while Tenay calls Adams foolish for coming down here in the first place. What a show, everyone! What a show. Rick Steiner runs down very late for the save. He comands his more charismatic brother to COME ‘N GIT SOME and offers up a tag title shot later tonight to lure them into the ring. Scotty and Buff agree to this match.

• We get another Nitro Girls hype vid paired with another Nitro Girls live dance routine. Then we get a Lex Luger hype vid. Oh, man. I do love this voiceover line from it, though: “His body is chiseled out of granite, and his mind is that of a scholar.” Amazing. This is a video to hype the contenders for the big WW3 battle royal, which isn’t a bad idea…again, in context.

• What the hell, there’s an extra one-hour Nitro tomorrow? Maybe there’s no Thunder this week? I’m in on a one-hour Nitro, though, for good or for ill. I checked, and there’s also a Thunder. OK, sure, bonus wrestling is good. Maybe not if it’s 1998 WCW, though. Context really is king, huh?

• I guess Scotty and Buff put Kenny Kaos out of pro wrestling with last week’s attack because Rick Steiner has a new tag champ partner and it's…Judy Bagwell. **Tony S. voice** We’ve reached a new low here on Nitro, fans. Anyway, Judy ducks a Buff haymaker and slaps him. He takes a wild bump off it and I’m the real life personification of that GIF with Jerry Seinfeld saying “I’m out” and leaving. Ricky Steiner challenges Buff and Scotty to a tag match against Ricky and Judy at WW3. Judy cuts a considerably better promo than Rick Steiner could dream of doing, and I guess the match is made, and Rick goes HOO HOO HOO and Judy goes ARF ARF ARF, and in spite of how dumb this all is, that was genuinely sort of adorable, hahaha.

• Tony S. promises a Goldberg wrestling match on tomorrow’s bonus Nitro. Oh yeah, there’s an NBA lockout going on right now: Mike T. says, “Who needs the NBA?” I believe this is the first year that the Spurs win a ring? Maybe the second? Well, that explains the extra Nitro shows. Anyway, Konnan makes his entrance while tomorrow’s Nitro is promoted, and Bret Hart comes down to face him. Konnan opens up a can of whoop-ass – oops, that’s the other channel – to start. Bret escapes the ring, so Konnan follows him and throws a bunch of strikes. Bret has to resort to a desperation eye rake to get some control. The Hitman commences upon an acceptable beatdown that doesn’t do much to inspire me. Konnan makes a slightly more inspired comeback, but only slightly. Billy Silverman, who is in on a lot of tide-turning spots in these pro wrestling matches and is kayfabe pretty bad at his job, tries to break up one Konnan beatdown and inadvertently distracts Konnan so that Bret can chop block him. The Hitman commences on another acceptable beatdown focused around Konnan’s leg. The crowd chants WE WANT STING. Oh, you sweet summer children, you want a babyface to show up and dispense some justice? You must be confused by all the WWF shows where Steve Austin fucks the heels up with a righteous fury. This is WCW, folks! The heels run this bitch. Meanwhile, the Hitman grabs a chair and destroys Konnan’s knee while Silverman ineffectually squeaks NOOOO, BRET, NOOOO instead of physically trying to take the chair away as he would if Konnan had it. Luger finally makes it out here and chases the Hitman around the ring and away from ringside.

• Gene Okerlund is in the ring to call Chris Jericho down for an interview. Jericho destroyed the ozone layer with all the hair spray cans he used before this match. Jericho and Ralphus are a pair, man, they make for a fantastic visual together. If there were an encyclopedia of pro wrestling terms, you’d take a snapshot of these two and put them right next to the “delusional heel” entry as an illustration. Jericho notes that he was born on Long Island 28 years ago from the original airing of this Nitro and, of course, claims to be glad that he made it out. Jericho declares that everyone else is delusional and that he’s broken Goldberg’s streak. Then, he claims that he called out Goldberg tonight, but that Goldberg isn’t here because Ralphus checked things out and told him so. Okerlund is like, Yo, I saw his security roll up to the building, I’m pretty sure he’s here. Jericho is certain that Ralphus has done his intel. Whoops! Goldberg formally arrives at the arena during Jericho’s rant, spots the interview as it happens on a television in his dressing room, yells WHAT – again, that's the other channel – and then storms out to confront the erstwhile Jericho. Jericho, who is backing down the aisle, never sees the spear coming. This crowd, which has been waiting all night for something cool to happen, enjoys Goldberg beating Jericho down.

• Hall and the Giant come down, synchronize their entrance taunts, and chastely kiss a young lady whom they must know on her forehead. Tony S. mentions that the Giant was in Waterboy and it’s a hit. Maybe they should have gotten permission from the studio to show clips or – no, you know what, this is par for the course for WCW. I guess at this point, they know the guy is gone in a few months, too, so probably they were even less bothered to promote his spot in that movie than they normally would have been. Anyway, I didn’t hear Michael Buffer getting sloppy with his entrances, so he’s still engaged with this stupid company and it’s crappy main events for some reason. I’m still waiting for Bret Hart to become Bert Hart.

• Kevin Nash and Lex Luger make it down to the ring. Nash is the second-most-over guy on this show, which is probably to be expected considering where this Nitro is taking place. He counters Hall’s toothpick toss with a loogie hock and then gets a pop for signaling to the Giant that the Giant should consider offering him fellatio. Consensually, I'd hope.

• This tag match is fine. No one will remember it once it’s over, but it’s not offensive. Luger does what he was born to do, apparently, which is to catch a beatdown and lay around a lot before the babyface comeback happens. The crowd is very into the Wolfpac. Let’s see how into it they are after Hogan joins it in the big nWo merger in a couple of months! So, yeah, Nash – who I remind you, two months before he rejoins Hogan in the nWo, is very over as a babyface – hits the hot tag and dominates. Nash is about to Jackknife Hall when the Hitman runs down and clips Nash’s knee, then attacks it. Luger is able to fight off the Giant, get a chair, and chase the heels away.

• Huh, it doesn’t seem like the one-hour Nitro (also known as Nitro Extra or Xtra, as I search) is on the Network. Bummer. There’s also one on 11/24/98. The 11/10 episode lists five matches, and if there is minimal talking and each match got into the seven, eight, nine minute range, I bet it was pretty good. (Editor's note: I watched the sub-three minute Rey Misterio Jr./El Dandy match on Daily Motion. Suffice it to say that if this is representative of the action, I am not missing anything, and neither are you.)

• On the other hand, this show dreams of simply being "pretty good." Remember that while a show can’t score more than five Stinger Splashes, the negative amount of Stinger Splashes that a show can score is infinite. In honor of Dave Meltzer’s “six out of five star” rankings for Kenny Omega matches, I’m giving this wretched piece of shit show -6 out of 5 Stinger Splashes. I take no joy in this; I want these shows to be good. If only someone would fire Eric Bischoff already.

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Sure feels like Bischoff was trying to bite RAW's formula of having long Evil Boss segments

**Bischoff, in a somewhat pleading voice to Conrad**: Remember, Vince only got on TV as an evil boss after I did, so really, you could, no you SHOULD, say that Vince was trying to - bite, is that what you said, Conrad? Bite? Okay, never heard that word in that context. But Vince was biting Nitro's formula. And if the haters like Dave Meltzer or the ones on Twitter can just take a second to look at the facts, they'd acknowledge that.

• Haha 1

Thunder Interlude – show number forty – 12 November 1998

"The WCW Gang makes this reviewer long for Jim Ross trying to ignore Jerry Lawler’s shrieks about ‘puppies’ and constant stream of sexual innuendos”

• We creep closer to WW3…I mean the wrestling show, though maybe in real life too, who the hell knows?...

• Glacier opens the show…They let him talk for some reason…Glacier is still protective of the superkick as his move…He plans to beat up Chris Adams for stealing his big kick that Adams definitely did not steal from Glacier, hahaha…If you know anything about Chris Adams, you know just how deeply delusional a heel Glacier is being to make that claim…I give credit to the desk for pointing this out (Editor's note: This is the very last time that I will credit commentary for anything good on this show)…This match isn’t very good, what with Glacier being a part of it and all…Adams is pretty good, though…He throws some sick forearms at the back of Glacier’s head…Adams buries Glacier with a powerbomb, then hits a superkick for thr-…No, Sonny Onoo comes out, gets the ref to stop the count by disputing that Glacier’s foot is under the ropes, and allows the Cat to hit a Feliner on Adams from behind…Glacier jams a thumb into Adams’s carotid artery and gets a KO victory…All I got from this opener is that WCW should push Chris Adams as a TV title contender…

• The dogshit Hulk Hogan stuff from Nitro plays in a recap…I think Jesse Ventura is an interesting guy, enough that I take him at least somewhat seriously (which is entirely separate from agreement or disagreement with him) when he discusses politics…It’s too bad that someone whom no one with any sense takes seriously, Hulk Hogan, had to bandwagon on the back of Ventura winning the governorship in Minnesota…Not to go into politics too much, but WCW has been really taking the pulse of late ‘90s politics in Minnesota…Between the Minneapolis mayor getting booed into the ground on Nitro before losing re-election the next year and Ventura winning the governorship, the Minnesota DFL must have been down real, real bad…Anyway, this recap takes too long…

• Tony S. retroactively spoils the big main event battle royal at WW3 by noting that the winner of said battle royal will get a title shot at Starrcade rather than at SuperBrawl or whatever it typically was…I’m not sure where the title shot got received ever got standardized in the four years of this show…Anyway, I’d be more disappointed, but I (re-)spoiled it myself as I flipped through the Guy Evans Nitro book to look something up…

• Kendall Windham faces Kenny Kaos, whom I guess Rick Steiner stripped of that tag belt so that Ricky could give it to Judy Bagwell instead…Where is the WCW Championship Committee to step in and address this travesty?...Make Ricky Steiner pick a tag champ already…This match exists…I didn’t hate it, so that’s saying something considering that Kendall Windham is a participant…Kaos wins with a springboard clothesline even though Windham technically has his leg under the rope…I like it even though they didn’t mean anything by it…Refs should “miss calls” like in real sports, without all the theatrical jibber jabber that comes with a typical pro wrestling “missed call”…

• Stevie Ray (w/B-Teamers) comes to the ring to face Jerry Flynn…This match stinks…We get a boring bearhug spot in the middle of this thing…At least there’s a Slapjack…That’s what Stevie wins with…

• Well, after a scintillating trio of wrestling matches to start the match, I’ll have to find a way to get up for Rey Misterio Jr. facing Juvi Guerrera in a number one contendership match for the Cruiserweight Championship…They need to get that belt off Kidman, and since Juvi’s previous reign was a zero, that means that Rey should win this and then win at WW3, in my opinion…Let’s see if that happens…Heenan has been a massive negative on commentary all night doing a bit where he can’t settle on a prediction for who will win the WW3 battle royal…’98 Heenan + Lee Marshall = total commentary hell…Tony S. encourages Heenan by squabbling with him while Rey and Juvi feel each other out…Rey and Juvi get irritated and chop the shit out of one another, then pick up the pace…Juvi lands a gourdbuster that hangs his opponent on the top rope…That is a cool move…Man, this has exploded into a fun bout…

• There’s a commercial break, and when we get back, things are still fun…This must be a taped Thunder because there’s a lot of crowd noise for a crowd that is sitting quietly, only halfway paying attention to the show…I’m not sure about this crowd, though…They should be loud for this match…Rey and Juvi both try tilt-a-whirl slams, but Rey wins out, then gets two on a split-legged moonsault…Juvi then gets two off a big spinebuster after dodging Rey on a rope run…They have an awkward flash pin exchange that Rey manages to save…Rey tries a corner splash and smashes himself on the buckle when Rey misses…Juvi, who has wasted time all match, wastes time going up for a 450 and gets hooked by Rey…Juvi escapes and takes some more time to try a springboard legdrop, but he misses that…Rey locks on a headscissors, but that doesn’t last long…

• They start running again, and Juvi steps out of the way of a Rey dive, but Rey stops himself…Juvi wanders off, frustrated…He’s been doing some very good subtle heeling here with his shows of frustration and his lack of aggressiveness…Juvi lands a brainbuster for 2.9 and there’s a time limit on this match, too?!...Rey sure has been in a lot of random matches with surprise TV time limits lately…Charles Robinson tells Penzer to announce that the match will go on until there’s a winner…Why initially sign a number one contendership match with a time limit, WCW Championship Committee?...You dumb bastards are dropping the ball on multiple fronts…

• Oh yeah, the match continues…Rey tries a massive senton splash, but whiffs…Juvi doesn’t whiff on a big springboard splash to the outside, but he takes a ton of time going back up top inside the ring…Rey catches him and mounts his shoulders, so Juvi lands a sunset flip powerbomb for 2.9…Rey struggles up and tries to run, but gets caught and hit with a Juvi Driver…Juvi wanders around celebrating a whole lot before he’s dropped his follow-up 450…That gives Rey time to recover and crotch Juvi…Rey follows up with a Super Frankensteiner that gets three…I think this’ll end up making my list of solid TV bouts, but the break and the weird time-limit draw/overtime finish hurt it a bit…I think they both broke up the pace of the bout in negative ways…

• Chavo Guerrero Jr. should have won the Cruiserweight Championship right after his feud with Eddy ended…He got himself quite over working that “off his rocker” gimmick…He faces Billy Kidman for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship next…I would rather see Rey/Chavo Jr. than Rey/Kidman, but Chavo’s been taking Ls lately and probably has little chance…Or maybe they put it on Chavo so that the lWo can have a couple of interests in the WW3 title match?...Let’s hope…I’ve never been so glad for Mike Tenay to be on the booth…Sure, he became a parody of himself as the lead announcer for TNA…But I think he’s a massive upgrade on Lee Fucking Marshall…Kidman doggedly hangs on to an armbar in the early going…It’s a nice series of spots where Chavo does everything he can to escape, but can’t shake Kidman until he finally goes with the strategy of brute forcing his way out with a couple of knees to the gut…Chavo gets two on a headscissors and grabs a headlock…Chavo gets back to his feet and lands a nice short-arm clothesline…Chavo gets two off a floatover powerslam…Chavo is distracted by Pepe as we go to break…

• Back from break, Chavo rakes Pepe across Kidman’s face…That sparks a Kidman comeback, but Chavo lands a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker to stop all that…A Chavo bridging German suplex gets two, and it’s back to the chinlock…Kidman keeps fighting up, and Chavo keeps cutting him off…The commentary is so bad that it almost takes away from this thing…If you watch this match, or the one before it, watch on mute…Chavo rides Pepe around the ring instead of winning the match…This allows Kidman to make another comeback…Kidman gets two off a crossbody, but Chavo kills a corner charge with a sunset flip, then hits a victory roll, both for two counts…They switch, switch, and then Kidman hits a sitout spinebuster…Chavo Jr. hits the best Superman punch in the business, then gets 2.9 off a springboard bulldog…Chavo tries to powerbomb Kidman, and you know what happens…Kidman preps an SSP, and here comes the lWo to end the match with a little bit of interference…Chavo and Kidman try to fight off the lWo, but the numbers game gets to them…Eddy pulls everyone away from Chavo as Rey comes to the ring to help, but accidentally hits Kidman…On the Nitro Xtra earlier in the week, Kidman tried to help Rey out against the lWo and accidentally hit Rey instead…So you know, their aim is a bit off…

• We come back to Kanyon bloviating, mostly about how cool he is…He can’t get the acknowledgement from the crowd that he’s looking for, and then the Horsemen music cuts him off before he can try again…Dean Malenko comes to the ring, and after a fade out for a commercial break that offers no Peacock ad interstitial on my computer screen, we come right back to the start of the match…I didn’t see him earlier because it was dark, but Raven is chilling out viewing the action at ringside…Raven is legit one of my favorite guys to watch, but Bischoff doesn’t get him at all, sadly...It shows in how he's been booked post-Flock…Kanyon takes a hard shoulder block and takes some time to compose himself…It doesn’t really help because Malenko immediately beats him down in the corner…Kanyon slips an elbow in on Malenko’s chin to take control…Kanyon hits some decent offense, but Malenko immediately sleeps out of his sleeper attempt with a back suplex…

• Raven looks bored, but I think this match is fine…Kanyon re-takes control…He lands a springboard elbowdrop for two, then goes back to the sleeper…Malenko elbows his way out, but eats a swinging neckbreaker for two…Malenko explodes with a comeback, but gets cut off by a boot to the mush and a kneelift that sends him outside…Raven wanders over, but doesn’t do anything to Malenko because, meh, life is fleeting and then you spend an eternity in the inky blackness of death…Well, I guess Raven really did think that (or something like it) because he gets real bummed and just slouches over and leaves the ringside area entirely…Meanwhile in the ring, Malenko blocks a Flatliner attempt and tries a Texas Cloverleaf…Kanyon gets to the ropes…Kanyon lands an Electric Chair facebuster for two…Kanyon tries to press his advantage with a second rope Rocker Dropper, but Malenko hooks him, powerbombs him down, and turns him over in the Texas Cloverleaf…Lodi runs down and draws a DQ, but Benoit runs down for the easy save…This show hasn’t seen a convoluted finish that it doesn’t love…

• Konnan faces the Giant in the main event…Konnan speaks on this, hits his catchphrase roulette, and borrows contemporary rapper lines as usual…The Giant controls with power, but when he misses a corner splash, Konnan throws a series of blows…Konnan tries a body slam…It goes poorly for him…There’s a nice, but somewhat less crisp than normal side Russian leg sweep from the Giant…The Giant dominates Konnan outside the ring…The Giant gets a table and leans it against the steps and the post…He tries another corner splash even though the last one didn’t work…That’s lax strategy right there…Konnan grabs a chair and whales away with it…This is the point at which Charles Robinson calls for the bell even though there was a table involved and they wandered around out there for at least a ten-count or two…Konnan jets, so the Giant chokeslams Charles Robinson in frustration as the show ends…

• Pros: This show definitely balanced out Nitro not being wrestling heavy by showcasing a steady stream of matches…

• Cons: So many dumb finishes that Vince Russo probably liked this show…Also, I underplayed how dire the commentary was…Lots of talking about anything but what was going on in the ring…Heenan doing his whole Henny Youngman bit to poor effect…Tony S. and Lee Marshall being so shitty alongside him that even Tenay got somewhat sucked into it when he joined the desk…Yuck...

• It gets a WOO because ultimately, there was some solid wrestling on this show…But man, everything else about the presentation sucked…

Show #166 – 16 November 1998

“The one where Nitro tries to recapture the sense of wonder and surprise from three years ago”

• The Nitro Girls dance the show onto the air here in the middle of Kansas. The middle of Kansas is hyped for a major live pro wrestling show in their area, and understandably so.

• Oh man, they’re still doing this POTUS thing with Hogan and the motorcade (the latter of which we see pull up to the arena). Bummer.

• Billy Kidman opens the show against Juventud Guerrera in a rare hot Cruiserweight opener. These fellas have wrestled a whole bunch of times, and somehow, they seem to lose chemistry every time out. Now, this is a title match, which Juvi is getting even though he literally just lost a number one contendership match for a title shot at WW3. At least Tenay sells it as Kidman agreeing to put the belt up against Juvi as well since Juvi lost in overtime, but why have the match at all in that case? 
  • Juvi wins a quick two count on a rollup, but ends up rolling out of the ring after he eats a sit-out slam. Getting a bit of space doesn’t get him much, though; Kidman continues to work him over and gets two off a springboard legdrop. Kidman sinks in the ol’ chinlock that he barely works, which is his go to when he doesn’t really have many ideas. They lounge in the ring for awhile before Kidman gets up and, after hitting a weak lariat on one corner charge, gets caught and headscissor’d on a follow-up charge. Juvi uses the headscissors as a counter to great effect multiple times, actually. Kidman tries to counter a corner charge, but eats a jawbreaker and a crossbody, the latter of which gets two. Commentary is actually focused on this match instead of other bullshit, and whaddya know? They’re very good at analyzing Juvi celebrating early and letting up on his cover, which allows Kidman to kick out. They note Juvi’s semi-heelish behavior lately and, on cue, a bunch of the crowd decides that JUVI SUCKS.

• Kidman comes back, lands a slingshot crossbody to Juvi outside, and then rolls Juvi back in for two. Then, uh, it’s back to the chinlock. Juvi in control is good; Kidman in control fucking STINKS. They get back to their feet and Kidman misses a crossbody and crashes all the way to the floor and against the rail in a sweet bump. Kidman should be bumping around like a pinball and doing minimal offense. And being a heel, not a face, as he’s a better worker as a heel. Juvi follows up with a lot of offense outside the ring, and then lands a springboard guillotine legdrop that looks absolutely gorgeous. He also sells a tailbone injury on the landing – Psicosis splatters his spine all the time and soldiers through, Juvi, dammit – and only gets two on a delayed cover. Juvi unloads with as much offense as he can muster; he gets two on a nice bulldog, but tries a powerbomb and eats a facebuster that gets 2.9 for Kidman. Kidman lands a wheelbarrow slam for 2.9 after that; he tries a German suplex, but Juvi flips out and nails a Juvi Driver for 2.9. This finishing run is pretty damned good, I have to say.

• Juvi sits Kidman up top, but he takes time to celebrate before hitting the rana, and Kidman punches him in the dick and hits a super sitout slam. That gets 2.9, and I gotta be honest, this crowd is into the near falls big time, and so am I. Kidman goes up for an SSP, and gets caught and dumped by Juvi. That spells the end of Kidman’s reign, as Juvi follows up with a 450 that manages to keep Kidman down for three. Kidman is in disbelief, but eventually presents the belt to Juvi. Thank goodness that Kidman’s reign of terror is over. I was thinking that maybe they'd float the belt to Juvi and turn around and have him lose it to Rey at WW3, then turn heel, and they should do that, if they’re smart.

• If only Nitro had more hot cruiserweight openers that go ten-plus minutes! That’s an idea they should actually execute rather than just somehow convincing everyone they executed it even though a close look at the record says they didn’t.

• It’s only now that we get the traditional Nitro opener.

• After the high of a very good opener, we revisit a few recent lows: In this case, we get a video package of the Scott and Rick and Buff Marcus and Judy feud. Oh man, Scott and Rick are STILL feuding. It’s been ten months! Ten long months! Why did they stretch this out past Rick basically destroying Scott at Havoc?

• Wrath takes a step up in his victories on Nitro: He’s going to beat Raven (w/Kanyon) next. Now, Wrath lost a few times on house shows to a returning Booker T. around this time, and though I know it didn’t happen on television, so it didn’t happen for the purposes of television, it did happen. It illustrates that WCW isn’t all that interested in protecting Wrath in the long- or even medium-term. So why would WCW bother feeding Raven to him? I hate this losing streak angle. Raven deserved so much better for what was a monumental performance in '97-'98 up through Fall Brawl '98.

• Raven sits. Raven uses the crowd as a free therapist. Raven indicates that Judy Bagwell is much like his mom – a helicopter parent who can’t fucking let go that she used to have power over her son as a child, and who thus has unfortunately been left to continually try and forge an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with her adult child. I mean, that’s basically what he says. Anyway, Raven continues by drawing another comparison, which is that WCW is like Raven’s mom. He illustrates the comparison by basically saying the following: Neither of you can tell me what to do, I’m an adult now! *runs up to room, slams door, turns on Slayer tape at highest possible volume*. Kanyon is disgusted that Raven refuses to wrestle the match and goads him over the mic. Raven refuses, so Kanyon decides to fight Wrath even though he’s supposed to be fighting Glacier immediately after this match is over. Raven is fine with that and walks out. At least we’re not getting a Raven squash loss, though! That’s good.

• Kanyon tries to get the crowd to say that nobody betta than him, but the crowd thinks everybody is better than him. Even worse for him, VANDENBERG’S BOYS EXPLODE as Wrath jumps in, hits Kanyon from behind with a lariat, and then drills a Meltdown before leaving. And wouldn’t you know it? Here comes Glacier immediately afterward. Glacier edges his way around Wrath, remembering all those tag matches that Wrath beat him down in, but Wrath comes back in the ring and hits a Meltdown on Glacier anyway. Kanyon and Glacier are laid out while Wrath celebrates and the crowd celebrates along with him. There wasn’t a wrestling match in that segment, but I enjoyed it even if I will continue to have complaints about Raven’s booking.

• The next segment starts with Kanyon and Glacier still laid out, haha! We see that during the break, Wrath beat both guys up some more before leaving once the break was over. Wrath must still be pissed about losing all those tag matches to Glacier and Ernest Miller because Kanyon couldn’t land one fucking chain-assisted kick properly, not even ONE, dammit. Mickey Jay needs to move things along, so he asks for the bell to be rung and starts a ten count that Kanyon stops at eight by rolling over and covering Glacier; that cover gets two. They then fight outside and Glacier hits a brainbuster out there, though I think it was meant to be just a regular vertical suplex, but either way, it looked great. Kanyon lands a second-rope Rocker Dropper on Glacier into the steel steps! That should be a match finisher, dammit. Alas, it only gets two.

• Kanyon goes up top, jumps into a Cryonic Kick, but kicks out at 2.9. It’s okay, Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker already killed that finisher dead back in Show #68. The crowd chants BO-RING, but actually, this is pretty entertaining, especially for a Glacier match. Kanyon ends the match shortly after anyway, as he reverses an Irish Whip into a Flatliner for three.

• More Hogan the Elder horseshit on a video recap. When does this doofus leave TV to campaign/lay low so that he can get the belt back in January already?

• The world was clamoring for a Sonny Onoo match, and by God, Bisch and Sullivan gave one to us! Kaz Hayashi comes out here in a mask pretending to be a guy named El Gringo. The desk pretends that they can’t tell that it’s Kaz under that mask. Onoo paid a wrestler named El Gringo to come out here and job to him, and even he can’t tell that it’s Kaz fucking Hayashi under there. This angle is ice cold, man, ice cold, and I don’t know why it’s happening. Anyway, Ernest Miller comes out here, hits a Feliner on Kaz from behind, and literally slaps a panicking Onoo back into reality before notifying him that Kaz is out. Onoo gets back in the ring and covers Kaz with a foot on the chest for three. Well, they can’t all be winners. I mean, they don’t have to be complete and utter losers like this was, but they can’t all be winners, either.

• Here come a few B-Teamers. I guess that Juvi/Kidman opener was like a carrot and now this part of the show is a stick? A giant stick? With nails sticking out of it? So, we’ve got Stevie Ray and Horace Hogan against Dean Malenko and Mongo McMichael. Horace and Malenko have an alright opening exchange, honestly. I will always submit that Horace is fine if used correctly, which is basically as midcard stable fodder. I should probably stop submitting that sentiment because anyone who has read these reviews knows how I feel about that. Mongo and Stevie Ray get in the ring and do some clubbering. I think they have better clubbering in them. What makes someone a good clubberer versus a mediocre or bad one? I have thoughts about this, but I need to formulate them better before sharing them.

• Anyway, the match breaks down, Arn Anderson whoops on Vincent outside the ring, and Stevie hammers Mongo with a slapjack. Arn gets in the ring and clears out the B-Teamers with a tire iron in response. Arn is by far the most over guy in this match, and he’s retired. Then, get this – GET THIS – Doug Dellinger comes out here and tries to confiscate the tire iron from Arn. Does he also try and confiscate the slapjack from Stevie? No, because Doug Dellinger is goddam USELESS.

• We come back from break to two things: One, Gene Okerlund introducing Ric Flair for an interview. Two, commentary saying that Mongo got sent to the hospital for observation after that slapjack shot. I again stress that Doug Dellinger should be kayfabe fired. Is he on the nWo payroll? Is that ever an angle in 1999? Flair does his whole shtick on the mic. He attacks Eric Bischoff’s manhood since I guess Bisch had Arn tossed out of the arena and then continues to push this Flair/Bischoff feud that WCW is determined to foist upon me.

• Then, in a surprise announcement, Flair calls the Stalker out to join him. Barry Windham might have the best in-ring timing of any wrestler ever, but it’s 1998 and I’m low on his return. Windham’s Four Horsemen run was great back in 1988, though. Man, it ruled. Windham needs to put on a black glove and throw wild jumping lariats again, which would make me higher on his return. Bischoff hits the ramp to respond, and Flair promises that Barry Windham will fuck Liz tonight, uh, okay. Windham's face when Flair makes this declaration is like Whoa man, we didn’t talk about this beforehand, I don’t even really know her like that. Shouldn’t we at least meet for a coffee first? Did she even say she was interested?

• Next up: Eddy Guerrero (w/Spyder) faces Rey Misterio Jr. again in a bit of modern WWE-style booking. Bisch and Sully are going to run this matchup into the ground in service of a shitty angle, I suppose. Eddy pitches Misterio on lWo membership again and offers Rey an If I win, you’re in; if you lose, I leave you alone deal Rey’s a dumbass babyface, so he accepts this on its face. I must admit, though, that Eddy’s “[Either way] we part as friends” is spoken with such sincerity that even though we all know he’s being totally disingenuous, even the most cynical fan might believe for just a second that he’s actually being honest.

• I could copy and paste a lot of the same opener stuff that I wrote from their last couple of matches. This match is also fine. Maybe I’m less enthusiastic about it because I know that they’re going to re-run the “Chavo loses a match and reluctantly has to become Eddy’s underling” deal with Rey just a few months later, but in an angle of markedly worse quality. Rey makes a rare fuckup and crashes right into Eddy’s knee when coming off the top rope. That could have been worse for Eddy. So, the finish is that Spyder distracts the ref while Eddy hits Rey with a powerbomb and covers. Juvi runs out and tries a springboard legdrop, but Eddy moves and Juvi drills Rey instead. Eddy tosses Juvi from the ring and goes up for a Frog Splash; he hits it, and three seconds later, Rey is a reluctant lWo member. Juvi appears to be somewhat crestfallen by this turn of events. Was Juvi just feeling himself too much after winning the gold, or is he secretly working on behalf of the lWo? There’s a bit of potential intrigue there, but since it’s in service of this lWo angle, meh.

• Bobby Heenan joins the desk. You know, he looks sort of like Steve Pemberton of Inside Number 9 fame.

• When did Scott Steiner put Judy Bagwell in the hospital? Did I black out on this? Judy cuts a promo from a hospital bed, but I don’t remember…wait a minute. Wait. A. Minute. Is Judy faking a fucking injury? Is she going to turn heel on Rick Steiner at WW3? Oh wow, if she does it, I actually think that would take this recurrent “fake an injury” angle that's been a benchmark of this feud from annoyingly repetitive straight into absurd theatre. It would be the wrestling version of Peter Griffin holding his knee and sighing in pain for just a few seconds longer than the viewer’s irritation from the overlong gag lasts. It’s Andy Kaufman doing terrible impressions for long enough that the audience is barely able to hold out for his excellent Elvis impression. Oh please oh please oh please let this be the angle. The whole fucking Bagwell family out here, just faking injuries for any and every reason, is a hilarious thought. The whole family defrauding insurers and squeezing as much workman’s comp and as many disability payments out of the system as possible is genuinely a funny idea. Holy shit, please let it be true.

• Chavo Guerrero Jr. comes out to face Scott Putski. Chavo challenges Putski to a flex-off and wins the crowd’s approval, at least. They have a non-descript match that is interrupted by Bam Bam Bigelow walking around backstage yelling about Goldberg. Now, look: I think Bam Bam is an interesting veteran add to WCW's roster coming off his ECW run, which was pretty good. I don’t think thrusting him into the main event to hassle Goldberg is the wave, though. Goldberg has plenty of main eventers left to beat. Bammer is a nice midcard gatekeeper piece, maybe the muscle for a midcard heel whom you want to get over. Jericho is doing a comic version of this with Ralphus, so maybe you don’t pair Bammer with him, but how about Alex Wright? That guy seems like he could benefit from having a heavy watch his back. Bammer kicks in a bunch of doors and shit, then – FUCK YOU, WCW – walks out to the ring to kill Putski (fine) and Chavo Jr. (NOT FINE, FIRE ERIC BISCHOFF). Bam Bam grabs a mic and yells GOLDBERG, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE, I’M BAM BAM BIGELOW, and admittedly, that was pretty cool. Bisch, J.J. Dillon, and the Keystone Kops all come down to escort Bam Bam from the premises. Apparently, Dillon and Bischoff agree on one thing, and it’s that Bam Bam is not being handed an employment offer tonight. Goldberg comes down to confront Bammer anyway, and the Kansans in the crowd are quite hot for this massive pull-apart.

• We come back from our break to Eric Bischoff firing J.J. Dillon/J.J. Dillon quitting in frustration. I mean, it's not Dillon's fault that Bam Bam showed up tonight, but these fellas have been at odds for so long that it was the final straw. Eh, I guess this is something like a failing romantic relationship where it’s not really about the fact that they left the milk out, but about all of their failings which the now-curdled milk represents. Cool, man, no more J.J. Dillon on screen, I dig it, OOH YEAH, etc.

• Perry Saturn has a mic for some reason. Oh, it’s to shit on Konnan for interjecting on his match with Eddy Guerrero a couple weeks ago. Saturn thinks it was just Konnan promoting himself, but as we review what Konnan said, I think that’s an unfair representation of Konnan’s impassioned argument. Saturn’s the heel here in my view. Wait, no, Konnan intimates that Saturn is gay as an insult as soon as he hits the ring. OK, everyone’s a heel. Saturn jumps Konnan during Konnan’s Catchphrase Roulette, which seems like a reasonable move. Hey, remember when Saturn got very over as a babyface after the Flock feud? Now he’s directionless, getting fewer cheers than his catchphrase-spouting opponent. Saturn whiffs on a kick that’s supposed to hit; a couple of mid-level lWo members come to the ring to view the match. Konnan lands a floatover bulldog for two as we cut to split screen.

• On the second screen, Gene Okerlund is backstage interviewing Eric Bischoff about why Bisch fired Dillon and about what’s going to happen with this Bam Bam challenge. Goldberg bursts out of his dressing room and demands a match again Bigelow tonight. Bischoff refuses until Goldberg punks him and Bischoff stops refusing. I assume they’ll have this match tonight, but probably we’re (also?) getting a Goldberg/Bigelow at WW3 because they can’t just, like, feed Lex Luger or Bret Hart to DA MAN instead.

• Back in the ring, this match just sorta happens. The desk puts over Bam Bam Bigelow as a killer, which would work better if most WCW fans saw him rampaging through ECW last; unfortunately, most of these fans who last saw him did so when he was jobbing to everyone from Lawrence Taylor to Goldust on WWF television. Meanwhile, I regret to report that this matchup was just kinda boring and then randomly ended with Saturn getting knocked out of the ring and jumped by the lWo. Konnan comes out and saves Saturn, but Saturn punches Konnan and then punches the lWo. The lWo eventually wanders off; Konnan gets a mic and calls Saturn back to the ring, and Saturn obliges with lots more punches.

• WCW is really trying to create a sense of randomness and surprises tonight. They were able to pull this off in 1995 and 1996 with some regularity. Tonight, well, their success is a bit more checkered.

• We get a Nitro Girls dance routine, a Hall versus Nash video package, and Scott Steiner coming to the ring flanked by Buff Bagwell and a hired referee who is doing his best Bill Alfonso impression. Buff gets a mic, declares their hatred of Wichita, and then insults the intelligence and integrity of WCW referees. The hired ref does a demonstration of how a ref should properly count three. He does it in the way that I’d expect Artie, the Strongest Man in the World to do it. Scott Steiner gets a mic and calls the ladies in the crowd “cornfed heifers,” which, I mean, look, Scotty’s array of specific insults for women is staggering and I am horrified that I chuckled at this one. I won’t ever call a woman (or anyone) a “cornfed heifer,” but I will call anyone of any gender an “old scallywag,” if that’s somehow better. It isn’t, I know.

• Scott appreciates that Buff gave him the green light to knock Judy out, and Scott brings down someone in a dress that he claims is his mother so Buff can beat her up. It’s a dude cross dressing because that is an inherently funny thing, I guess. Everyone loves Big Momma’s House and its venerable sequel, after all. Rick Steiner comes out here all mad, but Scott Norton jumps him and the nWo members beat Rick up and have the hired ref count the pin.

• I haven’t mentioned this all review, but the desk at various points has hyped the debut of Bobby Duncum Jr. for some reason. I have no idea why. Anyway, he’s getting a shot at Chris Jericho’s TV title tonight on his debut. Again, I have no idea why. Jericho sends Ralphus to the back before the match starts. Jericho has a somewhat reasonable hairdo tonight. I mean, comparatively to every hairdo he’s had the last couple of weeks. Jericho actually doesn’t struggle very much early on; he controls the match and even lands a meaty lariat and a senton splash for two. Jericho lands a vertical suplex and covers with a wimpy pin that pisses off Duncum. Duncum immediately kicks out and hits a run of offense, then hits a diving lariat off the apron and tosses Jericho around ringside. Someone in the crowd has a Wolfpac Sting sign drawn in South Park’s easily imitable style because it’s 1998 and drawing South Park characters is just what people did back then. Back in the ring, Jericho regains control, trips Duncum, and tries a Walls, but Duncum powers out. Jericho decides that he’s had enough of all this; he walks over to Penzer, punches him, takes his gold, and walks out claiming [DUNCUM]’S HAD ENOUGH while he’s counted out. Well, glad we put Bobby FUCKING Duncum Jr. over so strongly.

• More Hogan the Elder horseshit. He comes out here and cuts another awful promo. Par for the course. This thing goes on forever, and let me just give you Cliff’s Notes on this thing. Yes, there’s a Monica Lewinsky impersonator. Yes, there’s a sexual innuendo-slash-blowjob joke. Yes, Hogan makes out with her. No, I don’t want to take a cyanide pill, but I did consider it.

• Bischoff comes down here after fifty years or so. He and Hogan waste time having an unentertaining conversation about the nWo. Scott Hall comes down. He questions Eric Bischoff’s commitment to nWo business. I think it’s bad enough that we’re teasing more nWo breakups, but knowing that the nWo factions that finally split up after a full year of teasing that started in 1997 are going to merge back together in two months makes this even more of a worthless waste of my time and attention. Out of nowhere, Hall punches Bischoff and Hogan attacks Hall. Kevin Nash runs down for the save. I. Don’t. Care.

• Chris Benoit and Bret Hart come to the ring after the Nitro Girls finish their dance routine. Well, not right after: We get some video of this latest nWo tease at tension that doesn’t really mean anything in the long run. Benoit is heated about Bret coming out and attacking him a couple shows back, and also he has a lot of anger issues that he needs therapy for in general, so suffice it to say that he comes out and tears into Bret as soon as the bell rings. Bret tries to respond with some fire of his own, but Benoit eats his punches like a snack and continues his assault. The Hitman goes to the eyes first and the balls second to (figuratively, not literally) get Benoit off his back.

• The Hitman doesn’t feel much like being a heel and dammit, he lets me know each week with a steady diet of eye pokes, chokes, ball shots, and rope burns that put me right the hell to sleep. Benoit makes his comeback and caps it with a great-looking superplex. Benoit calls for the diving headbutt and scores it, but Bret rolls away toward the ropes, which delays the cover, which leads to only a two count. Benoit continues his assault, but when he sends Bret outside and tries a baseball slide, Bret dodges and grabs a chair. Bret circles, gets in the ring, and tries to swing it, but Benoit punches the chair into his face, then snot rockets him. Well, that spot made Benoit look king-sized. So, Benoit grabs the chair, and in a classic example of how shitty WCW refs are, he pulls the chair away from Benoit, which lets the Hitman sneak in a low blow. However, he doesn’t pull the chair away from the Hitman, who then uses it to destroy Benoit’s arm. That is such nonsense, such inconsistency, that it ruins the spot for me.

• Malenko comes out for the save. The Hitman pretends to leave, then runs out and jumps Malenko while Malenko’s checking on Benoit. Now Malenko needs to be saved, and lucky him, Diamond Dallas Page comes in from the crowd and beats the shit out of Hart to a massive pop. OK, that last part where DDP unexpectedly showed up was cool. Page then talks, which is less cool, but it’s actually fine. I mean, Page says HOLLYWOOD SCUM HOGAN and then randomly also calls Randy Savage MACHO SCUM…and then calls Bret BRET HITSCUM HART. No, nevermind, this promo fucking sucked. It was bad. It really took the shine off Page showing up and beating down Bret. I mean, this shithead says HITSCUM like three or four times instead of just saying that he’s got a contract to defend against Bret at WW3 and leaving.

• Well, we only have about two minutes left in the show, so I’m going to guess that Bam Bam Bigelow/Goldberg doesn’t even get a starting bell, especially because Goldberg gets the whole long walkout entrance. And as a matter of fact, it doesn't; they fight on the ramp and around the set as the show ends.

• They definitely tried to recapture the magic of 1995 and 1996. They didn’t, but I appreciate the effort. 2.75 out of 5 Stinger Splashes.
  • Like 1