DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/4/2021

11 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I'd love some simp here to explain to me why the Inner Circle went over and why their feud with The Pinnacle (who never appeared at all tonight in any way, shape, or form) should keep going. You're out there, I see what people write. Please rationalize this.

I'll take the bait.

Most stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Not just a beginning & middle.

Act 1 - Heel group wins in dominant fashion (Blood & Guts)

Act 2 -Baby face team gets revenge (Stadium Stampede)

Act 3 -(we'll find out soon enough) (???)

It's fine to not like what you're seeing. It's also fine to express that. But at this point you come in AEW threads just to say this show was "a steaming pile". Intelligent & apt breakdown there professor. ?

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
typo
  • Like 8

I also am on board with the JR being unbearable. He really sounds like he does when him and Conrad do Grilling JR. I'm gonna post a twitter clip of Jim calling Bill Watts being attacked thanks to Eddie Gilbert.

Listen to the passion in Jims voice in the call. He won't say that he's "phoning it in" and maybe not on purpose, but boy he just doesn't seem to show any emotion in AEW and in my opinion it really really hurts the product. "Andrade El Igloo"... like what dude?

• Like 4

JR definitely seems out of gas and given how much in the past he's said he hates 3 man teams, I suppose it's no surprise. For the most part I can deal with his quirks but I admit his constant frustration with modern tag wrestling is grating on me.

Penta went from smart to stupid in a matter of seconds in that opener. Really liked the mask under his mask but he looked like a fool after that. Just take care of the other guy not interrupting the pin and you’re winning the match but Penta just stood there and looked how their win got taken away.

I kinda like how Andrade just debuted lowkey without much fanfare but it also felt weird. People wanna boo Vickie but don’t wanna boo Andrade debuting and the audience obviously didn’t really got the announcement of Vickie at first because they were so invested in hating her.

Ogogo and QT vs. Cody and Johnson… Scott Keith may say that it's 'Perfectly Acceptable Wrestling', but not for me, buddy. Got to work harder to impress me. Jungle Christian vs. Hardy Party after that was perfectly fine then but nothing out of the ordinary either.

Inner Circle face promos are boring and I’m really not that interested to see more of them against the Pinnacle. Kenny and Callis are insufferable (in a good way!). Hook looks just so punchable and I love Ricky, Cage and Hook acting passive aggressive to one another. Velvet against Bunny was, I guess. Britts title celebration was underwhelming. Miro thanking god for his power and hot wife is exactly the way god should be referenced on a wrestling show. Miro is all around greatness. Main Event could’t really hold my interest.

Show was somewhat bland. QT and the gang vs. Cody and the gang, Inner Circle vs. Pinnacle and Ego Sky vs. Darby Sting all seem to continue and I’m really not interested in any of these programs right now. But I’m all for Orange vs. Kenny continuing.

And please more of Miro killing loveable dorks of Dark Order until someday in the far future John Silver gets the TNT title back to Dark Order.
  • Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Looking forward to Andrade in AEW. JR (running on fumes) and Penta (boring heel/idiotic babyface) need binning asap. 

I think my favourite thing on this show was the Rhodes family vs Factory stuff. Lee Johnson is coming along well, Ogogo went over strong-ish, and just quiet competence all around in the tag match. And the bullrope match is just the fun sort of thing you'd want to see Dustin do a few times a year. Maybe Comoroto should have gone over, but I don't care.

Really enjoyed Red Velvet vs Bunny also. Velvet has a lot of potential, so it's good to see her getting a push. 

Opening tag was my least favourite match on the show. People would be right to say Penta looks like a fool for not protecting the pin off the black arrow. Rick Knox is still trash. Also, Fenix got attacked? And we're just going to have the same match the Bucks always have with any combination of these guys? Okay...

As far as people noticing how often segments get interrupted on this show, I wish someone would have cut off the Inner Circle. I'm over hearing these dudes drone on and on. Tony has too much faith in Jericho to just go out there and do his thing, and it's led to a whole bunch of real long, samey segments with an act that just isn't working for me as babyfaces. Jericho has change-the-channel heat with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not doing Jungle Boy vs. Omega during the tapings and saving it for the live show was a smart move. 

Andrade's debut was not executed well, but hopefully they can tweak things for him over time.

Yes on moving JB v Omega, and wasn't Miro's debut also not too spectacular? So, I guess I wouldn't worry about Andrade just yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

JR definitely seems out of gas and given how much in the past he's said he hates 3 man teams, I suppose it's no surprise. For the most part I can deal with his quirks but I admit his constant frustration with modern tag wrestling is grating on me.

Everyone should be frustrated with modern tag wrestling. If you can’t have a match within the context of the rules you’re not good at your job. And if what you really want to do is think up and perform cool looking stunts, you should probably just go to Hollywood.

It’s particularly galling with AEW because they initially said they wanted a sports based presentation and I just saw Tony Khan recently reiterate that in an interview.

The foundation of a sports based presentation is ensuring the rules matter. Imagine a fighter leaving the cage or blatantly, intentionally low blowing his opponent in front of the ref in UFC and the ref not doing anything because of so called referee discretion.

The AEW tag team division is such a mess that Rick Knox was trending for being an incompetent and useless ref during the ppv.

You’d think that would be embarrassing and cause some reflection and changes but introspection doesn’t seem to be something AEW and its EVP’s are interested in doing.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yes on moving JB v Omega, and wasn't Miro's debut also not too spectacular? So, I guess I wouldn't worry about Andrade just yet.

Yeah, Miro's was so bad it makes Andrade last night look like Kane ripping the cage door off in '97. Not worried at all. Was just happy to see the guy wearing the hell out of a suit and looking like somebody. 

• Like 6

Knox lets the Bucks get their shit in. Remember in PWG when Knox *hit a tope con hilo* against the Bucks in a match he was reffing? They're boys. So Knox refs all the Bucks matches, it looks stupid, but only a certain subset of smark is complaining so everybody just deals with it. I don't like it either.

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Knox lets the Bucks get their shit in. Remember in PWG when Knox *hit a tope con hilo* against the Bucks in a match he was reffing? They're boys. So Knox refs all the Bucks matches, it looks stupid, but only a certain subset of smark is complaining so everybody just deals with it. I don't like it either.

Way back when Alex Marvez was commentating, he was trying to push a narrative that Knox was the Bucks' hand-picked referee.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Thanks to whoever first introduced the world to the analogy of Penta as your friend in No Mercy who spams taunt to build his finisher meter, because that’s how I’ve gotten through the psychology of every Penta match for years now 

Lucha Underground Pentagon was one of the coolest wrestlers of the past 15 years or so. Why is it so hard to book this guy like that? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Lita Tribute Dive aside, good stuff from Bunny and Red Velvet. I've always liked Bunny/Allie and Velvet is due to breakout soon. I can also get behind the team of Velvet, Swole, and KiLynn. Nice to see more direction in the division. 

I'm here for a pissed Nyla taking on Britt. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Way back when Alex Marvez was commentating, he was trying to push a narrative that Knox was the Bucks' hand-picked referee.

I watched BTE for the first time in ages this week, and there was actually a segment where they paid Knox off at the airport

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Lucha Underground Pentagon was one of the coolest wrestlers of the past 15 years or so. Why is it so hard to book this guy like that? 

It's kind of hard to book a guy who is like "I don't want to run anymore". It's like watching age 50+ LA Park matches but without the fun of all the chairs and bottles.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Like a lot of guys, Lucha Underground's editing made a LOT of guys look lightyears better than they actually were.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I said it on twitter a month or two ago, there are probably at least twenty people on the roster that could be cut tomorrow, and I'd wager that the vast majority of AEW fans wouldn't even bat an eyelash about it. 

I wish I could so innocently believe this again.

8 hours ago, RefMattyD570 said:

The one that made me laugh last night was JR talking about how you “never know what you’ll find on aewtix.com”. I don’t know, maybe tickets? Yeah, probably only tickets.

"Log in or however you do it." The lead commentator actually said that while trying to sell tickets.

Edited by Dog

25 minutes ago, Dog said:

"Log in or however you do it." The lead commentator actually said that while trying to sell tickets.

The man has gotten free entry to everything he's gone to for the last 30 years. Which is basically just College Football games, and wrestling shows where he's paid to be there.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I said it on twitter a month or two ago, there are probably at least twenty people on the roster that could be cut tomorrow, and I'd wager that the vast majority of AEW fans wouldn't even bat an eyelash about it. 

Name names. People that are actually signed too, not just the people they've brought in during the pandemic. Because I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people we see right now on Dark/Elevation won't be there once they hit the road again. As much as I want KiLynn King to be signed, I don't think she's going to on the road with them (even though Red Velvet did give their little group a name on Twitter).

• Like 1

I'm less concerned about Pentagon the worker than I am the character. Obviously, this is not him at his best in-ring but I think that would be helped out exponentially with giving his character some direction and back to his menacing LU ways. Even when he was fucking about on the Mexican indies cutting up guys with beer bottles n such, he worked with more of an edge. Cocky and arrogant but still it felt like he was capable of serious violence. I feel like he's a guy if you actually got behind he'd change the way he works.

During Penta's World title run in Impact, when he was feuding with Austin Aries and Sami Callihan, he seemed more serious.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think my favourite thing on this show was the Rhodes family vs Factory stuff. Lee Johnson is coming along well, Ogogo went over strong-ish, and just quiet competence all around in the tag match. And the bullrope match is just the fun sort of thing you'd want to see Dustin do a few times a year. Maybe Comoroto should have gone over, but I don't care.

Really enjoyed Red Velvet vs Bunny also. Velvet has a lot of potential, so it's good to see her getting a push. 

Opening tag was my least favourite match on the show. People would be right to say Penta looks like a fool for not protecting the pin off the black arrow. Rick Knox is still trash. Also, Fenix got attacked? And we're just going to have the same match the Bucks always have with any combination of these guys? Okay...

As far as people noticing how often segments get interrupted on this show, I wish someone would have cut off the Inner Circle. I'm over hearing these dudes drone on and on. Tony has too much faith in Jericho to just go out there and do his thing, and it's led to a whole bunch of real long, samey segments with an act that just isn't working for me as babyfaces. Jericho has change-the-channel heat with me.

I'm ready for them to start the build on Sammy's coup when the Pinnacle business is over with (assuming it's not already).  Two years is a long life for a stable/facgime/etc. and the Inner Circle, being literally as old as AEW Dynamite itself, is close enough to that. The face side of the ledger ill suits them and Santana/Ortiz have been conspicuously absent from tag championship contention, I'd hope trimming down to a Guevara/Santana/Ortiz trio would facilitate them getting that look-in.

That'd also pretty much require moving the belts off The Bucks to a face team, but any time that happens is more than fine with me.  Particularly now that it's practically Kazarian's raison d'etre to thwart Elite interference/ensure The Bucks meet their downfall.

• Like 2