DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

If Mark Henry and Big Show were instant main-eventers, that would be a problem. Signing Buddy Murphy is not a problem.

But neither of them were signed to wrestle, right? Much like almost all of the other legends taking TK’s money. Is Sting the only legend that has wrestled? Presumably, Christian is in the veteran category, with Matt and Jericho. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I guess if you're Braun you have to know that sooner or later, Johnny Ace/Vince are going to come back to offer you a new deal or a part timer bullshit thing. If you're Braun and you've seen what Brock and Goldberg got away with, then yeah, why go anywhere else when WWE will come back to you, give you a sweet part time thing with a run as champion?

I didn't really think about that before because I was mainly thinking about how cool he'd be in Japan, but that part timer scenario will be the one that plays out. In the meanwhile, he'll just sit on all the money he hopefully saved up and do some other bullshit in the meanwhile.

Maybe start a gofundme?

4 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

And let's just remind people that Marko Stunt, Brandon Cutler, Peter Avalon, Luther, Nakazawa, Jade Cargill and QT Marshall are on national television for no reason whatsoever.

lolwut? Jade is green as turtle shit (or, uh, jade?) but so the fuck what? She's awesome. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

And let's just remind people that Marko Stunt, Brandon Cutler, Peter Avalon, Luther, Nakazawa, Jade Cargill and QT Marshall are on national television for no reason whatsoever.

Everyone released today is better than them.

AEW has some serious fatal flaws, but because some people want an competitor to the WWE so badly that they are willing to whistle past the graveyard and pretend that nothing is wrong.

You sign End, Lana, Murphy and Ruby immediately. No if ands or buts.

FATAL flaws? You think AEW is DYING? Dynamite did a 1.2 a few weeks ago. Raw did a 1.1 two days ago.

Jade Cargill has wrestled four (?) matches, and she already knows what she's doing. She'll be fine.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Maybe start a gofundme?

lolwut? Jade is green as turtle shit (or, uh, jade?) but so the fuck what? She's awesome. 

Personal preference and I don't believe that someone who has had four matches should be valued more than a veteran that has more talent in her little finger than Jade has in her whole body.

Just now, KidNatural said:

Personal preference and I don't believe that someone who has had four matches should be valued more than a veteran that has more talent in her little finger than Jade has in her whole body.

You said she's on national television for no reason. She's on national television to learn and get seasoning on the way to being a star.

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

FATAL flaws? You think AEW is DYING? Dynamite did a 1.2 a few weeks ago. Raw did a 1.1 two days ago.

Jade Cargill has wrestled four (?) matches, and she already knows what she's doing. She'll be fine.

Fatal flaws isn't about dying, it's about organizational stuff. It's giving people more responsibility than they should, nepotism, etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

You said she's on national television for no reason. She's on national television to learn and get seasoning on the way to being a star.

Arguably, shouldnt someone (In a general sense) be kept off national television until they are ready and not learn and make natural setbacks in front of everyone? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Which is what Dark is for. National television is for people who know what they are doing. Back in the day you would have been fine with Eva Marie going straight to RAW and taking time away from people who knew what they were doing?

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Arguably, shouldnt someone (In a general sense) be kept off national television until they are ready and not learn and make natural setbacks in front of everyone? 

Just like NXT doesn't prepare you for Raw, I'm not sure squash matches on Dark prepare you to wrestle competitive ones on Dynamite.

I could see the argument if Jade actually looked bad, but no reasonable person would look at her four (FOUR!) matches and think that was her only experience. She's a prodigy.

Are we really pretending Jade's first match wasn't worlds better than Eva Marie's LAST match?

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I dunno, man. They just signed a new TV deal that TK specifically said would enable them to raise their budget. 

The bigger the gash, the flusher the CASH!

(I'm so sorry)

(but not sorry enough to delete it)

• Haha 2

Im only talking abstractly.

But we have all seen plenty of people, men and women, put on TV before they were ready for “prime time,” from muscleheads in the 80s to bikini models in the 00s to flippy folks today. 

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I dunno, man. They just signed a new TV deal that TK specifically said would enable them to raise their budget. 

Stylistic and systemic. I'm not saying they're going out of business. I apparently shouldn't have said fatal. There is too much kumbaya and the EVPs have become the least entertaining part of the program. If the right talent comes from the WWE then sign them is all I'm saying.

45 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I don't watch AEW much outside of the occasional women's match, but are these people seriously worse than Lana?

• Like 1

I agree on your point about signing all the quality talent they can. If Vince sells, there's a greater than zero chance that the buyer has no idea what they have on their hands, like a modern day Jim Herd or something. If you think the show sucks now, at least Vince has booked wrestling at some point in his life. Comcast can't even run a cable company right. It's a very good reason for AEW to invest in it's own future. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't watch AEW much outside of the occasional women's match, but are these people seriously worse than Lana?

Jade Cargill, yes. Lana has become respected by no other than DEAN. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I agree on your point about signing all the quality talent they can. If Vince sells, there's a greater than zero chance that the buyer has no idea what they have on their hands, like a modern day Jim Herd or something. If you think the show sucks now, at least Vince has booked wrestling at some point in his life. Comcast can't even run a cable company right. It's a very good reason for AEW to invest in it's own future. 

Honestly that's a reason to sign the former WWE talent instead of just indie folks... figure out a balance and go from there.

• Like 1

The cuts are telling me one thing: I think the WWE will end the brand extension (meaning Smackdown wrestlers will be on Raw and vice versa) and have the NXT roster be on all three shows. I can also see the WWE reducing the number of titles (getting rid of Raw or Smackdown tag titles and just having one tag titles and maybe one of the women's titles).

As it is right now, it doesn't make sense to have 7 women on Smackdown fighting over two titles (women's tag titles and Smackdown women's title).

It's starting to look more and more to me like Vince McMahon is selling the company but wants to screw people over and get as much money as possible before he does so. The right thing to do would be have HHH run NXT and WWE and build the shows. The storylines they have I'm not even sure can tide people over until Summerslam (what is Big E supposed to do now? He was supposed to feud with Aleister Black).

This is mainly why I quit watching wrestling. Why should I continue to watch if WWE is dead set on getting rid of people I may want to watch?

Marko Stunt is a valuable player. Who was it that got Lance Archer and Brodie Lee over as killers? Marko. Plus he's barely in the ring now and is more often serving as Jungle Boy's manager of sorts. And - if you actually pay attention - he's really good at it.

• Like 6

With regards to the quality of talent available to TNA back in the day, the guy who used to be Derrick Bateman sure turned into something for them. That alone justifies taking a chance on some questionable castoffs. 

As for main event talent, Sting was younger when he came to TNA than Jericho was when he came to AEW and comported himself as a quality elder-statesman. Kurt Angle had a lot of wrestling left in him and a whole lot of name value if Impact was happy to look the other way on some of his issues. Christian realized his untapped potential at the highest level. The Dudleys became a valuable core piece of the company for many years that could be slotted in anywhere on the card. Lashley eventually discovered a new edge that he never managed to find in his original WWE run. Booker and RVD weren't that far off their prime when TNA took a chance on them, and both had huge followings. Jeff Hardy was coming off a year when he was one of the most popular wrestlers in the world when he returned in 2010. Ken Anderson had been such a highly-touted up-and-comer with such obvious upside that it would have been foolish not to take a chance on him. And the list goes on: McIntyre, Matt Hardy, MVP. There's not a single guy in here that TNA was wrong to take a chance on. And along the way, they worked with and were presented as equals with AJ Styles and Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode and Austin Aries and eventually even stupid Magnus. 

TNA's stupid booking did in everything in time. The gamble on Hogan and Bischoff had its positives in addition to its many negatives. Putting the belt on Foley for a couple months was a step too far, but it's TNA and they just can't help but book like maniacs. But giving so many high-end talents a chance is very defensible. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

AEW has some serious fatal flaws, but because some people want an competitor to the WWE so badly that they are willing to whistle past the graveyard and pretend that nothing is wrong.

Well, this is a take...