DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

Everyone was completely shocked when the WWE got that deal from Fox. I wasn't paying attention but I'm guessing they got insane money for Peacock as well. 

If Vince is still around and with it when those deals expire -- why would anyone in their right minds bet against him?

Lowest Raw rating ever?

Yes, ratings don't really matter as long as someone is willing to pay for the show, but eventually the TV world has to wise up ... right? What good is it to have all that "content" if it's not bringing in viewers/subscribers?

38 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Right now, the WWE's valued at $4.2 billion. That's the current share price multiplied against all of the shares that can be bought (outstanding shares) and sold by the general public (also known as market cap.) 

Just clicking around real quick -- Vince reportedly owns about 37% of the outstanding shares right now, which equates to $1.6 billion. That doesn't include the dividend, which is 12 cents per share that he gets every year. Just doing the quick math based on those estimates, that's another $$16.7 million in cash he gets annually. Also, Vince and a few others own what are called Class B shares. Class A shares are what the general public owns. Vince's Class B shares give him incredible voting power -- each of this shares is worth 10 votes compared to everyone else, so that's something like 80% of all voting power.

If the WWE were to be bought by another company - the acquiring company would have to provide a value based on what it think the company is worth now and also going forward. Share prices are about $55/share. Acquiring companies almost pay a premium to convince shareholders to sell since they have to vote to approve the deal, or investors will react accordingly and want to buy the stock in anticipation of a stock buy, although in this case Vince's vote is the only one that counts. It's only a few cents upwards for the WWE to be a $5 billion company. I have no idea what a company would pay for their stock, but $65/share would not be out of the question right now. I'm not able to do the math right now, but that's probably at least $6-$6.5 billion in valuation. Vince's share of that would be 37% of that total.

I don't think that's a wild purchase price for a major media conglomerate in the era of content farming for the purposes of building a streaming service. Honestly, 65/share and 6.5B total is probably a reasonable price for the company + the decades of content they've hoovered up in the last two decades. 

EDIT: To put it this way, if just having the WWE Network streaming rights for X years is worth 2B, then permanent ownership of all the company's IP is definitely worth 6.5B. 

(Of course, I talk about "worth" in the context of the market.)

MGM just went for what, 8.5B or thereabouts? And MGM isn't producing new content using their IP at the clip WWE is. 

EDIT 2: @Dog Since we're still smack in the middle of the IP arms race/streaming wars, I don't think that realization is coming, even if I agree with your assessment. 

I also wonder what the media studies on wrestling fans look like. I would guess that companies are finally catching on that the demographic of a typical WWE or AEW fan is not at all what it was in the 1970s, and that there are a lot of high-earners devotedly watching pro wrestling that they can sell expensive products to. I don't think it's a mistake that the one time I watched some old WCW on Peacock, I got insurance, investment, and nice shiny car ads intercut into the show. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

Not surprisingly, in addition to what @RIPPA just posted from Bayley, I've seen numerous "tributes" to Ruby/Heidi from workers over the past hour or two. Sasha, Liv, Rachael Ellering just to name a few. It's obvious she was loved in the locker room.

• Like 1

EDIT 2: @Dog Since we're still smack in the middle of the IP arms race/streaming wars, I don't think that realization is coming, even if I agree with your assessment. 

It won't happen tomorrow. But I wouldn't want to be the people in charge two, three years from now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

PWI is saying that Santana Garrett was supposed to debut on this Friday's SDL

And someone did a count and Smackdown now has 7 women total on the roster

BTW, the men's side only has 11 singles guys right now, too:  

Roman, Bryan, Cesaro, Seth, Sami, KO, Apollo, Cmdr. Azeez, Corbin, Big E, Boogs, Nakamura

(Yes, it's about to be 13 when the Usos break up for good. And no, Edge doesn't count.) 

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
I don't know what Rippa is talking about, I haven't edited this at all.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BTW, the men's side only has 11 singles guys right now, too:  

Roman, Bryan, Cesaro, Seth, Sami, KO, Apollo, Cmdr. Azeez, Corbin, Big E, Boogs

(Yes, it's about to be 13 when the Usos break up for good. And no, Edge doesn't count.) 

I like that didn't count Edge but counted Bryan and counted Boogs but forgot Shinsuke

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPoJ3QIBtsR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Braun's IG post.  (Thinking about it...  it does legit sound like he's retiring.)

I do appreciate that PAC is the only one wearing a shirt, because, weirdness.

Who's the dude in the back? I can squint and kinda see Curtis Axel...? 

• Like 1

If you are talking about the dude on the right behind PAC - it is Axel

Here is a Twitter version I can use to caption

(L-R) Joe, Bray, Braun, Pac, Axel, Hawkins, Bo, Gallows, Anderson

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Bryan isn’t on the roster anymore, is he?

He is on the roster but currently not being used.

There were reports that he informed the WWE that he has been unable to deal with the passing of Luke Harper and needed time away

49 minutes ago, Dog said:

Lowest Raw rating ever?

Yes, ratings don't really matter as long as someone is willing to pay for the show, but eventually the TV world has to wise up ... right? What good is it to have all that "content" if it's not bringing in viewers/subscribers?

Lowest rated is still the #1 show of the night. Everything is different now and it seems like with less overall viewers networks are willing to pay even more for stable proven draws (I know, ratings keep sliding downwards).

41 minutes ago, just drew said:

Bryan isn’t on the roster anymore, is he?

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He is on the roster but currently not being used.

There were reports that he informed the WWE that he has been unable to deal with the passing of Luke Harper and needed time away

??  Now I'm confused.  Stories I've heard is that Bryan is off the roster because his contract expired and WWE was unable to sign him to an extension, while Bray is off tv because he needs some time to deal with Harper's passing (and because Vince thinks he's more out of shape than usual).

Am I getting these stories confused or is Rippa?

• Like 1

Where I'd like to see people go:

AEW: Heidi Lovelace, CJ Perry, Tommy End, Thea Trinidad

NWA: Mickie James

Impact: Jessie McKay, Cassie Lee, Samoa Joe, Chelsea Green

NJPW: Andrade, Bryan Danielson, Buddy Murphy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Including some folks saying the goal is to be like Marvel

charliemurphylaughing.gif

Nobody except the McMahons thinks of WWE as this diverse fun entertainment company on par with Marvel.  Vince is the guy who saw Freddie Prinze Jr on the company plane watching a comedy show on his phone and told him he should watch some Santino instead, since that should cover his need for comedy just fine.  This is the "we make movies, pal" mentality writ large.  Vince thinks they make a variety show that can satisfy every niche.   He's delusional.  This is where being surrounded by yes men since 1984 gets you.

• Like 8