DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

I get the feeling Braun is gonna try to do something outside of wrestling.  Get into movies or something.  He’s SUCH a WWE guy, through and through, it’s hard to imagine him knowing what to do with himself in wrestling outside of that system.

ORRRRR WWE will probably come back to him in a few months with a new lowball offer, and he’ll sign immediately.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

I get the feeling Braun is gonna try to do something outside of wrestling.  Get into movies or something.  He’s SUCH a WWE guy, through and through, it’s hard to imagine him knowing what to do with himself in wrestling outside of that system.

ORRRRR WWE will probably come back to him in a few months with a new lowball offer, and he’ll sign immediately.

Brown Strongman Tractor Pull on ESPN The Ocho??

Don't hold your breath on Kenny cosplayer Buddy Murphy working AEW. Kenny's made some passive aggressive tweets about BM. I'd love Joe, Bryan, Andrade, and Lee to join the men's side and I can see the value in Mickie James working with Deeb on mentoring a lot of the younger women on the roster. IIconics are kinda fun. As somebody mentioned, Khan talked about roster expansion and you think that the Dark Elevation talent that haven't been signed yet likely won't be sticking around once the company returns to full time travel. Regardless, they do have a large roster even if you're just looking at the core people but you don't pass on talent like the above because of Colten Gunn as I've said before. I hope the people released today can find places to work at which they can have fun wrestling. That's the big thing. I'd rather take less money and be happier at work than the opposite.

• Like 3

I was curious so I looked and 11 of the 30 women in the 2021 Women's Royal Rumble match are no longer with the company

Now - I admit that the number is a little snarky since it includes the 1 off returns and Lacey Evans (who is under contract but who knows if/when she will return).

Still 6 of those names are folks they have released in the last 5 months

In regards to the ripples of all this affecting AEW's roster situation

1) Are you cutting guys because you're worried about TV time available to active talent? Or are you cutting guys because you're worried about money? Because Serpentico doesn't cost AEW any fucking money. The company has a really organic and worthwhile undercard and I don't think they're overpaying every obvious fall guy you personally don't like. Guys like Brandon Cutler might be dweebs but they very obviously have enough backstage value. This isn't EWR (unless there's a mod where jobbers edit your main eventer's youtube videos + their wife is your seamstress). The bad-value contracts are more likely the WWE castoffs and veteran managers AEW brought in to legitimize the company during the early goings, and maybe some early signings that didn't break out. The Gunns, Vickie, Kip, Sydal, Hager, TH2, Swole, Arn, Janela, Brian Cage, etc., these are all possibilities. The point isn't to find the least valuable members of the roster but rather the least valuable contracts. For all we know Jack Evans works for cartons of Newports and gift certificates. And since AEW contracts aren't a matter of public knowledge, any opinion on who they should or shouldn't keep is based on heavy speculation.

2) I've been banging this drum for awhile but nobody ever wants to hear it - a majority of AEW contracts are up in 2024, including the EVPs. It is absurd to think that WWE, whether it's run by Vince, NBC, or Ian Fucking Rotten at that time, won't significantly attempt to poach the AEW roster. They are going to overpay for multiple stars. Stars that have proven themselves as TV draws, have relationships with people already in WWE, and who's signings would very much screw with AEW's long-term plans, locker room morale and perceived legitimacy. It's a no-brainer. It even makes you wonder if WWE are staggering these releases so that AEW snatched up the wrong guys before the really good ones got let go. This kind of cutthroat capitalism is WWE's bread and butter, the reason why we don't tune in to AWA Raw and WCCXT every week. I know Jericho and Jungle Boy are two notable guys who are on shorter contracts. Should AEW overstock their roster now in order to prepare themselves for maybe losing one of them and... let's say MJF, Cody, Wardlow, and Britt in two-to-three years? Shit, man, maybe.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Don't hold your breath on Kenny cosplayer Buddy Murphy working AEW. Kenny's made some passive aggressive tweets about BM. I'd love Joe, Bryan, Andrade, and Lee to join the men's side and I can see the value in Mickie James working with Deeb on mentoring a lot of the younger women on the roster. IIconics are kinda fun. As somebody mentioned, Khan talked about roster expansion and you think that the Dark Elevation talent that haven't been signed yet likely won't be sticking around once the company returns to full time travel. Regardless, they do have a large roster even if you're just looking at the core people but you don't pass on talent like the above because of Colten Gunn as I've said before. I hope the people released today can find places to work at which they can have fun wrestling. That's the big thing. I'd rather take less money and be happier at work than the opposite.

From a talent evaluation standpoint, you have to look at the, ahem, young Gunns and realize that those two have already hit their ceiling. They're good for cannon fodder, but not much more than that. Same goes for a lot of people that are actually signed to tier 2 contracts.

If I remember correctly, they have three tiers of contracts. Bringing in 6 to 10 new faces shouldn't result in the release of those guys on the highest tier of contract that have already hit their ceiling. To quote Judge Smails, the world needs ditch diggers too.

I'm putting my money on Comcast NBC in the "who buys WWE?" sweepstakes. That long-running relationship between McMahon and NBC puts them in the catbird's seat, IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm putting my money on Comcast NBC in the "who buys WWE?" sweepstakes. That long-running relationship between McMahon and NBC puts them in the catbird's seat, IMO.

If I was a cynical person (and clearly there is no way I am...) - I would argue that everyone is actively ruining things in the short term to get FOX to cancel SDL and thus get out of the contract which, theoretically, would clean up that issue of WWE being on 2 different networks for the above scenario to take place

what people haven't mentioned is that WWE is looking hire basically a whole all new IT team.  If you follow any of the big name office guys on LinkedIn you will see the posts daily.  I'm assuming this is due to going back on the road.  Pretty soon they are going to have to merge the rosters together as there won't be enough to have 2 brands plus NXT.  

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

what people haven't mentioned is that WWE is looking hire basically a whole all new IT team.  If you follow any of the big name office guys on LinkedIn you will see the posts daily.  I'm assuming this is due to going back on the road.  Pretty soon they are going to have to merge the rosters together as there won't be enough to have 2 brands plus NXT.  

They are technically already doing that.

All the house shows they announced for the summer are branded as "Supershows" and are on Sat and Sun only so all the talent can be there

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EVA said:

Same here.  I see Strowman as more of a Ryback than a Drew McIntyre.  And honestly, fuck him for his stupid comments about indy guys hustling when the pandemic started.  If he never wrestled again, then good.  Wrestling needs fewer marginally talented big guys who were born on third and act like they it a triple. 

On a positive note, welcome back, Tommy End.  Can't wait to see you again.

• Like 6

I should also note that Black indicated in announcing he was doing the stream as saying "He isn't mad about it" and it seemed more like he wanted folks to share stories and he would answer some questions

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Black with kind words about Vince, Bruce, Heyman, Roman, Orton, basically anyone you can think of. Very positive. With regards to wrestling reporters just now: "Don't waste money on it." 

Sounds like someone who was told they'll be happy to bring him back down the line if he keeps his nose clean.

• Like 1