DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

At this point I think the perception of their week-to-week product is deceptively important. People see top guys like Strowman getting turfed and they start to wonder WTF is happening there internally... it doesn't help long-term and certainly not with their personnel mentally.

I'm sure it must make for an incredibly crappy workplace. It's one thing when you're cutting people that aren't being used or haven't actually had a story line in quite a while but when you're cutting people that have actively been on tv or just gotten a new story line, everyone must feel like they're potentially expendable. Especially when you realize that a new contract not only doesn't mean that you're sticking around, it might actually make you more likely to be cut.

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Have you watched RAW in the last 8 months?

What I was trying to say was more along the lines of, "How many people could the WWE cut before they actually had a problem putting together a show?"  For the product they produce, the manner which they do it(hours produced, actual amount of matches and variety of matches, amount of story lines, number of segments, etc..) they really do have far more wrestlers under contract than they really need. So I'm not taking the side of big evil corporation but if you were to look at things from a, "So how many wrestlers do we actually need?" perspective I imagine the number is a lot smaller than the actual roster number.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

All this talk about Strowman going to Japan amuses me. I can't imagine that dude ever sets foot in a ring again. Is there really that much excitement for what that guy might do elsewhere?

I can't speak for anyone but myself here but I can see him have some fun monster gaijin matches. There hasn't really been someone with that physical presence in sometime. But I also enjoyed Akebono in AJPW. I don't see Braun setting the world on fire but then again CJ Parker morphed into Juice Robinson. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

Dead weight in terms of guys that aren’t really very good and/or no one gives a shit about. 

Luther, Serpentico, Jack Evans, Angelico, Kip Sabian, Sonny Kiss, Joey Janela, Peter Avalon, Bononi, Ziggler’s brother, Nakazawa, Brandon Cutler, though I realize neither of those guys are likely going anywhere. Same for a majority of the Nightmare Family/Factory dudes too, but again, probably not going anywhere.

Who are you people? Why do you hate so much? I LOVE all of those guys. I don't know where this whole "dead weight" argument is even coming from, I can't even.....

11 minutes ago, elizium said:

I don't really want to see any of them in AEW, because I feel like they got a good thing going with focus moving onto their "homegrown" guys. Lana maybe just to add to Miro's act.

This.
I'm sorry that people have lost their jobs, but I don't want this to turn into another WWF vs. WCW talent switch situation. I love the talent that AEW has been able to develop in-house, and I think that there's already enough former WWE guys in there. Give some fresh faces a chance!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Sadly none of those people currently work in WWE creative. 

It's certainly not saying current creative is any better. This is their Attack of the Clones/Rise of the Silver Surfer era. 

Now that Lana’s free, if I was AEW I’d sign Aiden English and Lana put them with Miro and make stupid money. There’s money in that trio WWE stumbled into a mint realized it and backed out of it

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spontaneous said:

I can't speak for anyone but myself here but I can see him have some fun monster gaijin matches. There hasn't really been someone with that physical presence in sometime. But I also enjoyed Akebono in AJPW. I don't see Braun setting the world on fire but then again CJ Parker morphed into Juice Robinson. 

Yeah, I don't think anyone is expecting some five star matches from Braun, but big guys throwing shit around is sometimes entertaining and he would really stand out in NJPW.

Riott I think I root for more than anyone else since she's our hometown girl. She's very talented and recognizable on a national TV level. I don't see her working indies unless she really wants to. AEW, Impact, and NWA are all viable landing spots for her, but I pull for AEW the most since she could make a big splash there and Impact's women's division is already pretty full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

The fact that there are plenty of people who don't see the potential joy and greatness in AEW signing a bunch of extremely talented people, and instead automatically think to the failings of TNA and late WCW, really gives you an idea about how brutal it is to even be a wrestling fan, just a bunch of glass half empty motherfuckers always expecting the worst ?

Yes because the folks actively listing what wrestlers AEW should release to sign new guys is a much better look

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spontaneous said:

Oh man, he would've been AWESOME in Hustle. Someone see if Takada's Monster Army suit still fits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is expecting some five star matches from Braun, but big guys throwing shit around is sometimes entertaining and he would really stand out in NJPW.

Yeah, when did anyone tower over say Okada? Fale? Give me guys having to do something different to bring the "monster among men" down. Hell, I want Miyahara or Shiozaki to try to knock him down. 

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Some folks reporting that Keith Lee, Liv Morgan, Angel Garza and Humberto Carrillo will be gone before the day is over. IF true... just mind blowing.

Which means that Mia Yim have to be on the list as well.  

My predictions for the rest: Lana to AEW, Buddy and Tommy do fine in Japan, who is Santana Garrett?, Ruby could go anywhere and succeed. Braun I guess goes back to picking up those strongman checks and continues posting dumb shit on Twitter. 

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Some folks reporting that Keith Lee, Liv Morgan, Angel Garza and Humberto Carrillo will be gone before the day is over. IF true... just mind blowing.

If THAT's true... Lee to AEW, Morgan follows Ruby, Angel and Carillo could go to Mexico but honestly anywhere. Who besides CMLL/AAA are in the market for talented luchadores, and are CMLL/AAA even in the market for talented luchadores themselves?

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I think this is now delving into anyone saying anything and it getting traction territory. Lee, sure, because he's been vague tweeting for what feels like a year now (I know it's less), but Liv, Angel, and Humberto all are people that have been used. Any of them getting released would be as puzzling as Braun getting released.

BTW, how in the fuck is Jaxson Ryker still employed? How was he not even in the first list of dudes released?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I think this is now delving into anyone saying anything and it getting traction territory. Lee, sure, because he's been vague tweeting for what feels like a year now (I know it's less), but Liv, Angel, and Humberto all are people that have been used. Any of them getting released would be as puzzling as Braun getting released.

BTW, how in the fuck is Jaxson Ryker still employed? How was he not even in the first list of dudes released?

FWIW, one of the accounts reporting this had the first round of cuts before almost anyone. It could be one of those things where they decide not to, but yeah, I'm not answering my phone if I'm any of them. They used Lana last night and she's done today. 

I have to laugh that five pages in and nobody mentioned ROH as a possibility.  There's irrelevant and then there's them.  I would feel bad if not for who owns them (not getting into it here)

But you know what, why not go there?  With the right names coming in it could only help the company.

• Like 1

It's crazy. You could have another national company by just using Samoa Joe, Braun, Murphy, and Black as your core. Fill in the rest with whatever folks from AEW Dark that don't make the cut in the next few months.

• Like 4

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

I have to laugh that five pages in and nobody mentioned ROH as a possibility.  There's irrelevant and then there's them.  I would feel bad if not for who owns them (not getting into it here)

But you know what, why not go there?  With the right names coming in it could only help the company.

RoH has money, but doesn't seem to have the desire to get bigger than they are.  Although with the lack of anyone working with them right now, that could possibly change.

The bright side for a lot of purgees, not to sound callous, is that there is 4 US promotions with money and TV, NJPW has a big international presence, and there's going to be a LOT of indies starting to run that are thirsty for names to draw people in, and a whole country full of people chomping at the bit to go to ANYTHING.

• Like 3

So where does this leave Cassie Lee and Jessie McKay, now that the "hottest free agents" torch has been ripped from their fingers?

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes because the folks actively listing what wrestlers AEW should release to sign new guys is a much better look

I agree but I'm not entirely sure what my quote has to do with that, I mean it would be one thing if I had said such a thing myself but I did not so color me confused.

WWE has to be prepping itself for a sale -- it's the only logical explanation (and yes, "logical" and "WWE" don't go together). I worked at Weather Channel in Atlanta for a year -- heard horror stories about ever since TWC was sold to a three-headed monster consisting of Comcast and two venture capital groups, the bean-counters would hire dozens of people at the start of the year, only to trim the fat of a similar amount (or more) twice a year in November/December to get potential buyers swooning. The owners behaved like that for nearly a decade before TWC was sold to Byron Allen's media group and the rest of the holdings were purchased by IBM.

And the weird things is that when WWE gets sold, it wouldn't surprise me if Nick Khan got the boot or left with a generous golden parachute. Jason Kilar became king of WarnerMedia in 2020/21, booted out a bunch of stalwarts, exposed himself as being out of his league, and will likely be gone next year when "HBO Disco" (or whatever it will be called) is approved next year. Nick Khan seems to be following the same path. 

• Like 1