DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

Just now, J.T. said:

If Kang / He Who Remains keeps Kang's comic book origins, then it possibly means that Sacred Timeline Reed Richards is a black man.

I'm good with that.

I was thinking about today when all the websites were referring to him being Nathanial Richards. 

But if they aren't doing FF anytime soon, I could see them not doing it. 

They'll probably keep Kang's origins as mysterious as possible.  I never thought that Kang's Richards or Von Doom ancestry was central to his menace, but it might be a good way to introduce the FF or Dr. Doom to the MCU in the future.

I also think that Loki is right.  If Kang's attitude towards mastery of time is as nonchalant as He Who Remains coupled with megalomania, MCU Kang does have the potential to be really terrifying.

It's all on Majors to bring the character to life.   I'm just impressed that the revelation happened on D+.  It's like an episode of Mid_Atlantic Championship Wrestling where Harley Race shows up to cut a promo.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I am actually happy that I didn't have Loki getting a second season spoiled until watching the actual episode (which was yesterday evening)

I was convinced some fuckers like Nerdist would have slapped it on a Youtube vid and it would have shot into my recommendations

• Like 2

I finally got a chance to watch this tonight and managed to stay spoiler free for two whole days.  I have lots of thoughts, but for now I’ll just say that the tag at the end of the credits made me really, really happy.

• Like 2

Tom Hiddleston on Loki Season 1 and Season 2:

Marvel.com caught up with Tom Hiddleston to get his thoughts on the big season two news, and he expressed both gratitude and his excitement to reprise the role after this blockbuster first batch of episodes.

"I am so grateful that we got to do Season 1, I still am not quite able to process that we get to have another go at this. I am so excited by the possibilities," the actor enthused. "We are already in discussions. Deep, deep, deep discussions. I can’t wait to get started."

"I want to say thank you to the audience because without the audience, we wouldn’t be able to make a Season 2," Hiddleston added. "I hope Season 1 was full of surprises. And I think Season 2 will be full of even more."

• Like 4

Kevin Feige speaks:

During a recent interview on the D23 Inside Disney podcast, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige revealed that they've all recently held a meeting to discuss the rules of the Multiverse.

"[The] Multiverse is coming up in a big way," he teased. "There's interconnectivity there that people have already started to see and suss out and I had a meeting this morning with the whole broad Marvel Studios team going through the Multiverse and the rules of the Multiverse and exactly how to really deliver on the excitement surrounding the Multiverse."

"In the same way, the Multiverse is something we geek out about and we really love all the storytelling potential it brings, but thought we had to dull out what it was and introducing the concept even briefly in Doctor Strange and then as a fakeout in Spider-Man: Far From Home," Feige added, seemingly confirming that there won't be a reveal about Mysterio really being from another Earth (a shame, but the sequel did a good job of explaining the Multiverse). 

Feige concluded by sharing one more tease. "I will tell you something: It is more than just fans that are following along with the Multiverse storyline. It's really exciting even to see it mid-way through the Loki series now, as people respond to the possibilities."

Wow.

Finally finished.

I haven't read all the comics and comments, so forgive me if im repeating sentiments.

So basically, with the introduction of Kang, the (possible bread crumbs to God Emperor Doom).....is the MCU basically saying "Yeah, the Avengers should've lost, buckle up?"  That's what I'm getting and I'm ALL IN on the next however many years of Fallout.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley

So if I'm reading a recent interview with Kate Herron correctly - they hired Jonathan Majors at the same time as Peyton Reed did for Ant-Man 3, and Marvel liked him so much that they decided to merge the two characters so now He Who Remains is a variant of Kang.

Even though Marvel confirmed last December that Jonathan Majors was joining the MCU as Kang the Conqueror in “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” he only got that role because he was going to first appear in “Loki,” which he did during Wednesday’s season finale.

At least that’s the story according to “Loki” director Kate Herron.

“It was such a crazy situation. I was in a casting conversation with Kevin Feige, the studio, and Peyton [Reed], and I was like how am I at this table?,” Herron told TheWrap. “I think Jonathan was just an actor that we all loved. And really, to be honest, it was just a case of seeing if he was interested, which he was and then just trying to make it work with his schedule, because he’s a very busy man.”

Herron said that once Majors was on board to play He Who Remains, who in the comics, is not a version of Nathanial Richards aka Kang, he was pretty quickly cast as the time-traveling villain for the third “Ant-Man” film. “We cast him for the role at the same time,” she said. “When he was cast in that, it was because we knew he was going to be in our show first.”

Once Majors was on board to play Kang, they changed He Who Remains to be a variant of Kang.

“He’s a unique character, there’s a character called He Who Remains in the comics, but our version of that is completely different,” Herron said, confirming He Who Remains is a variant of Kang the Conqueror. “He’s a variant of that character.”

Herron also confirmed that she's not coming back for S2, which sucks.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

So if I'm reading a recent interview with Kate Herron correctly - they hired Jonathan Majors at the same time as Peyton Reed did for Ant-Man 3, and Marvel liked him so much that they decided to merge the two characters so now He Who Remains is a variant of Kang.

Herron also confirmed that she's not coming back for S2, which sucks.

Yeah, that's a concern. No Kate Herron. Had the same feeling of concern going from Steven DeKnight on Daredevil S1 to Doug Petrie/Marco Ramirez for Daredevil S2 and I was right. The latter also did The Defenders. Thankfully Daredevil S3 was a return to form under showrunner Erik Oleson.

In the interview Herron said she always planned on doing just one season and was actually surprised when the 2nd season was ordered.

She did indicate that she would happily work with Marvel Studios again when she is done with her own personal projects

• Like 2

I would be worried about her going off, but I feel its less of a big deal with Feige and Hiddleston around. I'm sure they will find a director who they can work well with. That said I definitely hope we see her on something again in the MCU.

• Like 1

She did a great job, but Michael Waldron is the one who would be tough to replace.  But he seems to have been drafted to the movies, so he probably won’t be lead writer next time either.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Assembled, how Loki was made. Always had an interest in behind the scenes features. The episode opens with Tom covering his MCU appearances, Kate Herron on directing, Michael Waldren writing, the casting, we get some fun Loki/Mobius/Classic Loki banter on location as well. Hiddleston says he'll be 40 when Loki premiers on Disney+ as he was 29 when cast as Loki. Bummed the documentary didn't cover Sif's return and worse still Natalie Holt's music. That's disappointing as the latter was a real highlight of the series.

Edited by The Natural

Interesting that they showed some cut footage of He Who Remains' talk with Loki and Sylvie. I wish they put in deleted scenes, etc. as extras for these shows like they do with the movies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

What might have been. Worked out well with Thor Odinson played by Chris Hemsworth and Loki played by Tom Hiddleston.

Allegedly, Kenneth Branagh always wanted Hiddy to play Loki, and having him screen test for Thor was to help him play Loki better. Because Loki is supposed to be the guy who looks at Thor and thinks "That should have been me". And after that screen test, Hiddleston could play that feeling exactly, because he'd actually been through it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Love Fiege trolling people by  spreading  the "TVA/VAL" theory. 

I’m intrigued by the theory that Wanda becoming the Scarlet Witch was the moment Kang paused and said they were beyond the threshold. While this wouldn’t matter in a “kayfabe”/in universe sense, the two scenes apparently happen at almost the exact same time in each finale.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Allegedly, Kenneth Branagh always wanted Hiddy to play Loki, and having him screen test for Thor was to help him play Loki better. Because Loki is supposed to be the guy who looks at Thor and thinks "That should have been me". And after that screen test, Hiddleston could play that feeling exactly, because he'd actually been through it.

Thanks for that. On the subject of actors going for different roles:

Chris Pratt and Sebastian Stan auditioned for Captain America.

The late great Chadwick Boseman as Drax the Destroyer.

Karen Gillan as Sharon Carter.

Lupita Nyong'o considered for Nebula.

All worked out for the best. Sarah Halley Finn, MCU's casting director has done a great job. I'd particularly single out Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Charlie Cox's Daredevil, Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin, Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther, Tom Hiddleston as Loki and Josh Brolin playing Thanos. You?

Edited by The Natural