DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

Just now, Casey said:

I guess that streak of the Disney+ shows not having much effect on the movies is totally out the fuckin' window now.

Need Luis recap for those not watching the shows and only the movies.

• Haha 2

I'm now convinced that What If? ties directly into the end of this show. There's no way it's a coincidence that Sylvie just created a multiverse and the next show up is one about showing us alternative timelines. 

• Like 2

Hollywood Reporter's article about Disney renewing Loki for a second season mentions Loki is expected to appear in Multiverse of Madness (but they also said Disney hasn't said whether or not that's confirmed).

I've also got theories that Feige asked Sony to hold off on the No Way Home trailer until this finale aired.

• Like 1

On the one hand, as I was watching this, I kept thinking how awesome it was. I love how they introduced “Kang” by not actually introducing the Kang(s) who will be the big bad(s) of Phase 4 or even actually naming this “Kang.”  (Side note, as soon as Majors appeared on the screen I realized I didn’t actually know what he looked like, so I had to assume it was him until it was confirmed.)

On the other hand, as it was ending, I realized this was essentially all exposition and set up for the movies and, although very well done, not as much a series finale. That was a little jarring given how the show runner had talked about wanting each episode to stand on its on as an episode rather than one part of a really long movie.  I feel like the other two Marvel shows had better series finales in that regard. Personally I don’t really have an issue with it in this instance because I’m incredibly excited about what’s to come in Phase 4. But one day, probably sooner than later, they’ll do this and it won’t be as well done or interesting.  I can see people who aren’t as invested in this multiverse stuff feeling like this episode was almost a bait and switch.

The most resolution we got was essentially “our” Loki doing a full face turn, even if that face turn was wanting to take a minute to consider whether to let a ruthless time dictator continue to sit on his throne or assume his role instead.

• Like 2

I haven't paid super-close attention to the casting of the phase 4 movies.  And somehow I had it in my head that Jonathan Pryce was playing Kang, not Jonathan Majors.  So that scene played way more mysteriously to me until he did the "they call me many names" bit, and even then I thought they might still pull a swerve.

Overall I liked the episode.  It was mostly table-setting but it did a good job of it and I dug the Loki/Sylvie/Kang and the Mobius/Renslayer bits.

Also: I'm too old to stay up that late I am so goddamned tired.

32 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

On the one hand, as I was watching this, I kept thinking how awesome it was. I love how they introduced “Kang” by not actually introducing the Kang(s) who will be the big bad(s) of Phase 4 or even actually naming this “Kang.”  (Side note, as soon as Majors appeared on the screen I realized I didn’t actually know what he looked like, so I had to assume it was him until it was confirmed.)

On the other hand, as it was ending, I realized this was essentially all exposition and set up for the movies and, although very well done, not as much a series finale. That was a little jarring given how the show runner had talked about wanting each episode to stand on its on as an episode rather than one part of a really long movie.  I feel like the other two Marvel shows had better series finales in that regard. Personally I don’t really have an issue with it in this instance because I’m incredibly excited about what’s to come in Phase 4. But one day, probably sooner than later, they’ll do this and it won’t be as well done or interesting.  I can see people who aren’t as invested in this multiverse stuff feeling like this episode was almost a bait and switch.

The most resolution we got was essentially “our” Loki doing a full face turn, even if that face turn was wanting to take a minute to consider whether to let a ruthless time dictator continue to sit on his throne or assume his role instead.

It's not a series finale. There's a season 2.

And I don't see how someone could watch that season finale and think it was a bait and switch. Sylvie literally did the thing she said she was going to do. Along the way, they were presented with a choice - rule together or create a god. Sylvie, being a Loki, which means being headstrong and driven, chose the latter. She didn't think that's what would happen.

I mean, we witnessed the fulfillment of the creation of the multiverse, what was essentially the destruction of the TVA, the birth of someone probably more powerful than Thanos, and we're left with a cliffhanger as now Sylvie is still at the end of time and Loki is now in an alternate TVA where no one knows him.

In terms of Marvel shit, this was probably as important or as big as what played out in Infinity War and Endgame. It doesn't get more impactful than this.

• Like 2

convinced now the Kang in Ant Man 3 still won't the biggest of the big bad, otherwise, Scott Lang is fucked. This was a great season one finale, and while there is a good argument to be made that they spent a lot of time setting up the movies, what really brought it home for me was Loki's last scene back at the TVA; it's changed, Mobius doesn't know who he is anymore, Kang is the sole ruler, that was all great season one cliffhanger stuff, not really sure if we'll touch on the TVA parts of it int he movies. 

Jonathan Majors pulled off a pretty amazing feet, introduce yourself totally fresh, set up other versions of yourself, explain universes worth of back story, and be entertaining while doing so. Home run performance, I can't wait to see every version of Kang

• Like 2

Yeah, Jonathan Majors here was incredible. I thought he was pretty good most of the time in Lovecraft Country, but he knocked it out of the park as being a twisted version of Kang. He also made me think he was invoking Denzel Washington at times with some of his mannerisms and with how he said some things, but then he'd creepily shift and sound sinister, which made the whole performance pretty sinister.

In a way, I'm somewhat bummed because whenever we get the big bad version(s) of himself, he's probably not going to be that off the wall

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The multiverse already existed beforehand didn't it?

Yes, in that it existed and He Who Remains was using the TVA to make sure it didn’t get to the point where he couldn’t manipulate what was happening.

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's not a series finale. There's a season 2.

And I don't see how someone could watch that season finale and think it was a bait and switch. Sylvie literally did the thing she said she was going to do. Along the way, they were presented with a choice - rule together or create a god. Sylvie, being a Loki, which means being headstrong and driven, chose the latter. She didn't think that's what would happen.

I mean, we witnessed the fulfillment of the creation of the multiverse, what was essentially the destruction of the TVA, the birth of someone probably more powerful than Thanos, and we're left with a cliffhanger as now Sylvie is still at the end of time and Loki is now in an alternate TVA where no one knows him.

In terms of Marvel shit, this was probably as important or as big as what played out in Infinity War and Endgame. It doesn't get more impactful than this.

Yeah, I mean season finale instead of series. IMO, very little of anything from the season ultimately paid off. Mobius and the TVA are back where they began, Ravonna is MIA in search of someone who may or may not exist anymore. Our Loki has evolved, but honestly that took place before this episode. The overwhelming majority of this episode was Majors being awesome while essentially explaining the history of the MCU and foreshadowing what’s to come. Then Sylvie and Loki get back to the series stuff in the last 15 minutes. That’s where the bait and switch potential comes in: arguably, most of this episode was laying the groundwork for what’s to come and not dealing with the show Loki.  It feels like a lot of the cliffhangers are things that won’t necessarily be answered in the show’s second season.

Personally, I loved every minute of it, but I also it doesn’t become the blueprint for these shows.

24 minutes ago, ErinQuinn said:

Jonathan Majors pulled off a pretty amazing feet, introduce yourself totally fresh, set up other versions of yourself, explain universes worth of back story, and be entertaining while doing so. Home run performance, I can't wait to see every version of Kang

Given the complicated nature of Kang in the comics, with so many different versions of him coming from so many different times, I thought the way they introduced him was pretty brilliant, with another version of him who explained/foreshadowed relatively simply how there were many different variants of himself competing for supremacy. It’s different from introducing an evil character and then confusing people by saying, “No, this is a different version.”  I think What If? will also help ease the more casual viewers into the idea of the multiverse, time travel, and variants.

• Like 4

Close between Loki and WandaVision for my favourite Disney± Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe show. Leaning towards Loki. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier definitely last. Daredevil S1 and S3 is not only the best thing in said entirety of the MCU, it's the best live action ever. From the Marvel TV shows I've seen:

16. Agents of SHIELD Season 5.

15. Agents of SHIELD Season 6.

14. Agents of SHIELD Season 2.

13. The Defenders.

12. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

11. Agent Carter Season 2.

10. Daredevil Season 2.

9. Agents of SHIELD Season 1.

8. Agents of SHIELD Season 3.

7. Jessica Jones Season 1.

6. Agents of SHIELD Season 4.

5. WandaVision.

4. Loki Season 1.

3. Agent Carter Season 1.

2. Daredevil Season 3.

1. Daredevil Season 1.

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So yeah, Kang is the Thanos level Big Bad going forward.

I like Kang the Conqueror though Doctor Doom was always my first choice to be the next Big Bad following Thanos and Marvel Studios getting the rights to all things Fantastic Doom. The wait for Doom to be done justice is a long one.