DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XIII - 6/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Let's move everything up to mess up Dolfan's internal clock.  Sure.

The Card!

LAST CHANCE HELL IN  A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - The Almighty Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Drew McIntyre

HELL IN A CELL FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Rey Mysterio

FOR THE WWE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair

HELL IN  A CELL MATCH FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Bel Air (c) vs. Bayley

Alexa Bliss vs. Shayna Bazsler

Cesaro vs. Seth Rollins

Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens

I'll just say, this definitely has the feel of "spinning our wheels until the draft" cards of the past few years. 

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Hell in a Cell XIII - 6/20/2021

Be interesting to see which matches become Hell in a Cell bouts and go without. Guessing Lashley/Drew will. Sick of that pairing. Can see Uso vs. Uso as one along with Ripley/Charlotte Flair. As ever, I wish the Hell in a Cell was reserved for the hottest of feuds as a feud ender like it used to be than for an annual PPV.

Edited by The Natural

54 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see which matches become Hell in a Cell bouts and go without. Guessing Lashley/Drew will. Sick of that pairing. Can see Uso vs. Uso as one along with Ripley/Charlotte Flair. As ever, I wish the Hell in a Cell was reserved for the hottest of feuds as a feud ender like it used to be than for an annual PPV.

That would require them to have hot feuds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My top 10 HIAC matches:

10. Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks. Hell in a Cell 2019.

9. The Usos vs. The New Day. Hell in a Cell 2017.

8. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. Hell in a Cell 2020.

7. Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi. Armageddon 2000.

6. Batista vs. The Undertaker. Survivor Series 2007.

5. Batista vs. Triple H. Vengeance 2005.

4. The Undertaker vs. Mankind. King of the Ring 1998.

3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XXVIII. *****.

2. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. No Mercy 2002. *****.

1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****. Best match of BOTH me. A true classic.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, Gorman said:

Amazing that after all of these Hell in a Cell matches, the best one was the first.

On top of being an all-timer, that was the debut of Kane. A character as hokey as Kane - the brother of the Deadman looking for revenge - needed as strong a first appearance as possible. Being the deciding factor in that match launched him right away and he held his end of the bargain and then some.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

On top of being an all-timer, that was the debut of Kane. A character as hokey as Kane - the brother of the Deadman looking for revenge - needed as strong a first appearance as possible. Being the deciding factor in that match launched him right away and he held his end of the bargain and then some.

oe0pnybk09851.jpg

OIP.mm1YtSf9mAlIxmRp6i4EGwAAAA?pid=ImgDe

Everything about Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell match is perfect.

• Commissioner Slaughter checking underneath the ring before the Hell in a Cell was lowered.
  • The original Hell in a Cell is so much better than The replacements.
  • The commentary by Vince McMahon, Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. Last PPV Vince would do full time.
  • The Dead Man out for revenge for Shawn Michaels' actions, taking his time with the beating.
  • Both Undertaker and Shawn Michaels using the Cell as a weapon.
  • The camera man getting attacked playing up Shawn Michaels reputation as a pain in the fucking arse.
  • The above leading to a plausible reason for both to escape the cage.
  • All the stuff outside the Cell. Undertaker's slingshot/javelin to Michaels busting him open, the press slam on the Cell roof, 'Taker standing on Michaels' hands so he goes through the announcers table, 'Taker hip tosses and press slams Shawn onto the table and the broken bits of the one HBK went through.
  • Undertaker chokeslams Shawn from the top turnbuckle.
  • Undertaker with a sick chairshot to Shawn's head calling back to the SummerSlam 1997 finish when Michaels, the Special Guest Referee hit Undertaker with a steel chair swinging for Bret Hart costing Undertaker his WWF Championship.
  • Kane debuts after months of teases. What presentation: Kane's look, the entrance music, the lighting, the fire, "That's gotta be Kane!" and Kane's Tombstone Piledriver using Undertaker's own finisher.
  • Shawn crawls from a pool of his own blood to steal the win and is the #1 contender to the WWF Championship held by Bret Hart at the Survivor Series.

I LOVE this match. I became a wrestling fan at the age of five and I've never wavered. Out of the wrestling matches I watched as a kid growing up, four have stayed with me to this day in the following order:

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13. *****.

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WrestleMania X. *****.

3. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****.

4. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind, In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i feel like Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (No Way Out 2000) is severely underrated, and usually gets overshadowed by their Rumble match.

Yeah, I was tempted to include Hell in a Cell between Triple H and Cactus Jack at No Way Out 2000 but it narrowly missed out. Like you, I do think it gets overshadowed by the Street Fight match at the 2000 Royal Rumble match. I think partly as well by Mick Foley coming back so soon at WrestleMania 2000 having put his career in the line in the aforementioned HIAC.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, twiztor said:

i feel like Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (No Way Out 2000) is severely underrated, and usually gets overshadowed by their Rumble match.

That was a good one-two punch to show to people who hadn't seen wrestling, or hadn't seen wrestling since WWF 80's!

Edited by Shartnado
Grammar things
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Honestly seems like more of a statement of what the priorities are. Smackdown > Ppv

I think there's a fair case for this perspective. That said, the emphasis of the "dumb to move" perspective should be that the first-ever Roman vs Rey match (which shouldn't be occurring in the cell to begin with) is being moved to TV with 24 hours notice. If they want to emphasize TV, there's a case to be made there. But this is about the silliest way to do it with a match of this magnitude. Not even a week's notice for something like this? You'd think this company's creative choices were being overseen by an an addled, indecisive control-freak. 

Anyway, someone was wishing on a monkey's paw with regards to keeping it to one HIAC match per event. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Like how they are building the Hell in the Cell matches so they can feud again for another 2 or 3 months because that is what WWE has become 

Actually you told me this is the full card for next PPV I wouldn't be surprised 

Edited by hammerva
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, D.Z said:

The last Thunderdome PPV for now, could expect 1 pre show match.

It will be interesting to see if they do what they did for In Your House and tape the match (not showing it live) and release it on YouTube