DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

The Friday shows are just at an awful spot and are just coming at the worst time as the are killing the go home and follow ups to Double or Nothing. The ratings are just going to tank at that time slot no matter what and AEW isn’t really counter programming with must see television. I don’t think there has been anything for 3 weeks that would have popped a rating in their regular slot much less this terrible one. Honestly, they’re losing momentum.

This block of weekend shows is proof that moving to TBS is the right move. Way too many preemptions in a month which Turner recognizes.  So hopefully next year won't have these issues. But to Eva's point count me in the plus 7 group as we're watching the next day. 

I swear if they come to Nashville again, I'm going this time around. Hopefully they don't run the Municipal Auditorium again, but I understand why they do (less seats than Bridgestone Arena and a history of wrestling there) - but jesus christ, that place was rundown in 2001 when I saw a WCW PPV there, I can't imagine what it's like 20 years later. Hopefully they've done some remodeling and whatnot.

• Like 1

Is the recent absence of FTR from in ring action due to either Cash or Dax being injured?  Or was it simply a booking decision to restrict them to Group vignettes and 'town halls'?  I see no reason why they shouldn't be on television wrestling interesting match-ups, or on Dark, schooling the younger teams (not unsigned indie guys), every week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Is the recent absence of FTR from in ring action due to either Cash or Dax being injured?  Or was it simply a booking decision to restrict them to Group vignettes and 'town halls'?  I see no reason why they shouldn't be on television wrestling interesting match-ups, or on Dark, schooling the younger teams (not unsigned indie guys), every week.  

I do think it's an intentional choice. All of the guys involved in the faction war have been confined to that story and not having separate matches in between.

As to answer what's in bold, over exposure. One of my least favorite parts of WWE having so god damn much time to fill. Everyone becomes just another guy because they wrestle every single week. Why do FTR need to burn through every good potential match? Keep people wanting more. I also think that is an intentional choice. You can't have an aura of acts being special if you see them wrestle 50+ times a year on TV. That's why no one but Roman & Brock come off special in WWE anymore.

• Like 3

Yeah, that's one thing AEW does really well. Not having everyone on TV all the time. Still makes it possible to get excited when I see "Eddie Kingston in action next week" on screen, instead of that quasi- dysentarial feeling in my stomach when Raw shows the Lashley/McIntyre graphic AGAIN....

• Like 6

On 6/6/2021 at 4:27 AM, Gordberg said:

Holy crap, Gordberg! Nothing to do with the clip above, just wanted to point out that the resemblance is indeed uncanny! Tempted as I may be, I will still pass on changing my handle to "The Shartimate Warrior" or "The Dynamite Shit" over this one!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Holy crap, Gordberg! Nothing to do with the clip above, just wanted to point out that the resemblance is indeed uncanny! Tempted as I may be, I will still pass on changing my handle to "The Shartimate Warrior" or "The Dynamite Shit" over this one!

You could call yourself "The $hitman" and put together a faction called "The Shart Foundation"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

As to answer what's in bold, over exposure. One of my least favorite parts of WWE having so god damn much time to fill. Everyone becomes just another guy because they wrestle every single week. Why do FTR need to burn through every good potential match? Keep people wanting more. I also think that is an intentional choice. You can't have an aura of acts being special if you see them wrestle 50+ times a year on TV. That's why no one but Roman & Brock come off special in WWE anymore.

I hear ya, WWE over exposure is a problem, but having them work lower rung teams (and squashes) on Dark on weeks they aren't having 'high caliber' bouts on Dynamite isn't gonna burn them out.  So to a lot of the guys that aren't on Dynamite on a certain week.  I do like AEW's commitment to keeping match-ups fresh, but it's a balance they could improve upon.  

Stats are fun.

FTR haven't had a normal tag match since beating the Hughes Brothers on 4/22 on Elevation. They had a six man with Spears on Dynamite on 3/24 against The Blondes and Dante Martin. Their last normal tag on Dynamite was on 2/17 against the Sydal Brothers. 

The Young Bucks by contrast have had 8 normal tag team matches in the same period all on Dynamite or PPV. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Casey said:

It's in the Observer. Basically, most people DVR'd the show and watched it later. Nielsen tracks that as well.

In accordance with the +7 ratings, I would be interested to see the number trends for the show and see where that lines up. I have to be honest, it feels like goalpost moving by The Observer who is trying to run cover with a number that they've never referenced before to hide the ratings downturn.

To be clear, I'm not going "Hur hur hur, these ratings suck and so I feel validated!" I'm going, "Oh shit these ratings suck and this timeslot sucks and OH GOD this is terrible timing." AEW clearly recognizes it and is running their bigger names out earlier in the show like The Bucks and finishing with less important fare like a Inner Circle promo and Dustin-Nick. This is a lamentation on my part, not a victory lap.

• Like 1

It’s rarely mentioned because the Live+7 numbers (or whatever term they’re using now) are rarely significantly different enough to merit reporting.  What made last week’s numbers newsworthy was that a third of the audience watched after the fact, which is usually not the case.

That said, this is not the first first time Dynamite’s Live+7 numbers have been reported.  It just takes them being unusual to merit a news blurb.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Stats are fun.

FTR haven't had a normal tag match since beating the Hughes Brothers on 4/22 on Elevation. They had a six man with Spears on Dynamite on 3/24 against The Blondes and Dante Martin. Their last normal tag on Dynamite was on 2/17 against the Sydal Brothers. 

The Young Bucks by contrast have had 8 normal tag team matches in the same period all on Dynamite or PPV. 

I don't know what you're trying to demonstrate here? The Young Bucks have had more straight up tag matches than FTR? Okay. You mean the champions of a division get more TV time than challengers not even involved in the title scene? Oh wow that's like crazy man. Thanks for the stats?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Gordberg said:

You could call yourself "The $hitman" and put together a faction called "The Shart Foundation"

The Shart Foundation! Wow, that was RIGHT there the whole time! However, out of respect for @The Natural, I will resist the urge to use that, or The $hitman as well, but very good call, nonetheless!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't know what you're trying to demonstrate here? The Young Bucks have had more straight up tag matches than FTR? Okay. You mean the champions of a division get more TV time than challengers not even involved in the title scene? Oh wow that's like crazy man. Thanks for the stats?

Conversation was...

a) FTR doesn't work a lot of tag matches 

b) You don't want the talent to get overexposed

Me) This is the number of tag team matches they've actually had and the last time they were on television in a tag team match. As a comparison, here is what The Young Bucks (the obviously most pushed tag team on the show) are doing. This factually substantiates that FTR doesn't have a lot of tag team appearances during this period of time.

Your counter argument is that FTR doesn't have matches on television because they are not involved in the tag title scene. This refutation fails because of two reasons. One FTR can't get involved in the tag title scene because they don't get to have matches on television. And two, there is no reason AEW shouldn't have more than one tag team feud or angle at a time since their tag roster is so big. So even if your largest focus is on The Bucks, there is no good reason that other teams are doing nothing during this period. 

EDIT: The really interesting thing is that this applies to more than just FTR. Santana/Ortiz and The Best Friends are also suffering from a lack of ring time. That's three of your top four tag acts getting virtually no time for months.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

No. Just no lol. You can make any argument you want when you twist the data to only include what you want it to include. FTR just main evented AEW's last PPV. They were a part of one of the main story lines of the last 3 months. Including main eventing Dynamite in the first Blood & Guts match. Their current story isn't apples to apples as the tag team champions defending the tag team titles. So why do you only count traditional tag matches for the point you're trying to prove?

They've gotten a ton of TV time in the last 3 months. But none of it counts because they weren't strictly two on two tag matches? Okay. But that means fucking nothing. That's you cherry picking what you want the results to be.

A dude asked why FTR aren't having tag matches every single episode of Dynamite. And I responded by saying that over exposes a talent and is something I think AEW tries to avoid. And what actually solidifies the point I'm trying to make is your stat on The Young Bucks. A lot of people (not everyone) are starting to get turned off by them. Well maybe it's because they're getting put out there too much in matches.

But only counting traditional two on two tag matches when trying to make a point about a team that has had more than just traditional two on two tag matches is disingenuous. And frankly pretty fucking stupid. Guys Britt Baker has had zero traditional tag matches in 2021. They obviously need to book her better. Why won't they push Britt Baker???

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned a time or two, but the Double or Nothing theme music is dope, and I wish AEW would use it or something similarly sexy or sax-y for Dynamite.  Enough of that awful light the fuse bullshit.    

For some reason this makes me imagine Dynamite starting with this as the theme

I too would like the theme changed. Wrestling needs to move out of the Attitude era of nu metal theme songs. 

• Like 2

On 5/21 @Goodear said that we've never seen Julia Hart before.

@AxB correctly pointed out that Julia Hart had recently wrestled Britt on Dynamite.

Goodear's actual response was that it doesn't count because it was a short match. 

The same day, Goodear also complained that none of the PPV matches other than Bucks vs Mox & King got more than 3 weeks' build. @John from Cincinnaticorrectly pointed out several ways in which this was inaccurate, and again Goodear had convoluted ways of denying the actual facts (Maybe it's had five weeks of build, but there have only been three interactions on Dynamite, and so on).

Now we've got @Casey and @EVA correctly pointing out that the 7-day ratings for the Friday show are just fine and Goodear responding that he's worried about AEW because the rating are so bad... and @NoFistsJustFlips correctly pointing out that FTR just main evented the most recent PPV and are involved in one of the main AEW storylines and the response is that doesn't count because it wasn't a straight up tag match. 

Plus we've got @Sex Machine Gun calling AEW fans "simps" and @just drew accusing us of "caping" and sinking to calling the Bucks "business exposing" (To whom? Who is watching AEW  that will have their illusions destroyed by the Young Bucks "atrophied" bodies and "weak" offense? I'm pretty sure most AEW fans had already figured out the deal about kayfabe before watching that match).

I think we might be approaching an all-time low point for AEW hating on this board. 

Dear Haters:

Here's something you guys can carp on that makes a little more sense: 

- The Inner Circle "This ain't over yet!" promo was immediately followed by a Best Friends "This ain't over yet!" promo.

Taz calling for Hangman Page to find a partner to face Cage and Hobbs was pretty closely followed by The Jerks challenging Darby to find a partner other than Sting to face them. 

Should the "Booker of the Year" really be repeating himself like that twice in one show? 

If anyone feels the need to keep getting personal: I thought it was cute that they did that. Is that proof that I am a "simp" who can't stop "caping" for AEW?

That's not much, but I think it beats disputing the actual facts, resorting to juvenile insults, or non-ironically worrying about "the business" being exposed.

Best regards,

your pal Gordberg.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

On 5/21 @Goodear said that we've never seen Julia Hart before.

@AxB correctly pointed out that Julia Hart had recently wrestled Britt on Dynamite.

Goodear's actual response was that it doesn't count because it was a short match. 

The same day, Goodear also complained that none of the PPV matches other than Bucks vs Mox & King got more than 3 weeks' build. @John from Cincinnaticorrectly pointed out several ways in which this was inaccurate, and again Goodear had convoluted ways of denying the actual facts (Maybe it's had five weeks of build, but there have only been three interactions on Dynamiter, and so on).

Now we've got @Casey and @EVA correctly pointing out that the 7-day ratings for the Friday show are just fine and Goodear responding that he's worried about AEW because the rating are so bad... and @NoFistsJustFlips correctly pointing out that FTR just main evented the most recent PPV and are involved in one of the main AEW storylines and the response is that doesn't count because it wasn't a straight up tag match. 

Plus we've got @Sex Machine Gun calling AEW fans "simps" and @just drew accusing us of "caping" and sinking to calling the Bucks "business exposing" (To whom? Who is watching AEW  that will have their illusions destroyed by the Young Bucks "atrophied" bodies and "weak" offense? I'm pretty sure most AEW fans had already figured out the deal about kayfabe before watching that match).

I think we might be approaching an all-time low point for AEW hating on this board. 

Dear Haters:

Here's something you guys can carp on that makes a little more sense: 

- The Inner Circle "This ain't over yet!" promo was immediately followed by a Best Friends "This ain't over yet!" promo.

Taz calling for Hangman Page to find a partner to face Cage and Hobbs was pretty closely followed by The Jerks challenging Darby to find a partner other than Sting to face them. 

Should the "Booker of the Year" really be repeating himself like that twice in one show? 

If anyone feels the need to keep getting personal: I thought it was cute that they did that. Is that proof that I am a "simp" who can't stop "caping" for AEW?

That's not much, but I think it beats disputing the actual facts, resorting to juvenile insults, or non-ironically worrying about "the business" being exposed.

Best regards,

your pal Gordberg.

You're in a cult. I apologize for anything you think I've done to support your perspective. Best regards.