DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

Fun Dark episode.  Ethan Page is a fantastic heel.  Good bout with Limelight.  So too Dante Martin-Sonny Kiss, and the Dark Order matches.  Cezar Baloney is getting better each week.  He's destined for bigger things.  Is anyone else loving these Dillion McQueen squashes?  His pre-match arrogance followed by his rag doll selling is a beautiful combo.  Speaking of beauitiful, they need to find ways to get Tay Conti on Dynamite every week.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Cezar Baloney is getting better each week.  He's destined for bigger things. 

I was gonna shout him out too, he's been really funny on BTE lately as well. I always see him named as a "waste of a roster spot" when we get into those kinds of discussions, but he's def been making the effort.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Which is really the whole point of this diatribe isn’t it? 

Nope. Those were some pretty impressive mental gymnastics that got you to that point, though. 

I very much agree that the issue with the dude in question is not that he doesn't get the joke or know the trivia. 

However: The issue from my perspective, the thing that keeps me from wanting to be friends with this guy, lies in his assumption that he is the only one who gets the joke. It's not so much that he doesn't know some minor details, it's that when presented with the facts he just flat out rejected them. 

It really seems that there's no getting through to the guy since he apparently believes that if he doesn't already know it then it can't be worth knowing. More arrogant than socially awkward, from where I stand. 

"Socially Awkward Guy" is a pretty interesting post-modern pro wrestling character, though. AEW has done some fine work along those lines with Hangman and the Dark Order. 

I got a legit out loud laugh out of the two-part skit on BTE where Silver and Reynolds tried to recruit Billy Gunn, only for Gunn to walk into the Lair at the worst possible moment. Gunn's line in that moment got the laugh out of me.

I also enjoyed the bit where Silver was lounging near the Wingmen. I thought Silver nailed his line in that one, and the Wingmen did a nice subtle job of reacting to it.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

For all the NYC peeps:

Wow! AEW in New York! That building holds over 23,000 for tennis, presumably more for wrestling, unless they do some kind of limited seating arrangement (like a concert bowl type set up or something). It will be very interesting to see how many tickets they can sell, to hear the crowd at that show, to see if any New York area promotions do any kind of counter-promotion... 

I am really looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Holy shitballs. I've been saying for awhile that someone should try running the tennis stadiums here like Arthur Ashe or Forest Hills, but I figured wrestling was too low-brow for those joints. Glad to be proven wrong, and it's going to be interesting to see how they set up shop there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

So for tonight's (06/15) episode of Dark I gotta give the MVP Award to Valentina Rossi. She had a fairly great match, and her character was that she WOULDN'T STOP DOING THE ITALIAN HAND THING. It even popped (and caused to debut) ITALIAN TAZZ. Bravo!

I loved this so much!! I just found her on Twitter, there are a few similarly named adult performers, hers is

(@) MafiosaRossi 

If anyone wants to give her a follow. Great fucking gimmick.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see how Arthur Ashe Stadium is set up for this. Just look at this picture, with the roof open, and imagine a wrestling event going on. If I didn't have tickets to the Rochester show and potentially All Out, I would most certainly try and make this happen. Gotta be a big show in hopes of filling up this bad boy right?

Arthur Ashe Stadium | Architect Magazine

Serendipitous. 

• Like 5

That is going to look absolutely incredible on TV.  I have a really good feeling about this show and hope by then the NY folks get big-time matchups to be featured in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Do you guys think it's going to hurt that they are doing consecutive shows in the same region? They are doing Boston/Newark/NYC/Rochester/Philly all in a row. Will there be too much pressure to do "big shows" every week?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Do you guys think it's going to hurt that they are doing consecutive shows in the same region? They are doing Boston/Newark/NYC/Rochester/Philly all in a row. Will there be too much pressure to do "big shows" every week?

This is going to sound like kind of a rambling jerk "no shit" answer, but I honestly don't mean it that way:

I think that largely depends on how the shows turn out. These are big buildings in Vince's backyard, back on the road after a long pandemic, so if they underdeliver for whatever reason, it would be hard not to be insanely discouraged by that. 

So pressure to deliver, yes, but I think it's more of a positive "do or die" kind of thing, rather than "I hope they can pull it off!' if that makes sense.

Edit: Also want to say how pumped I am for that Ashe stadium date!! I remember bringing that place up really early on when considering NY venues for them with the idea that Hammerstein probably too small and MSG too large yet. I was thinking either there or the Javitz. I don't know if they could make it work financially to run like, for example the arenas in Brooklyn, Nassau, or CT

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Took out the part about if they can draw, because I had no idea this tennis building held so many
  • Like 4

A friend of mine just texted me that if AEW is running NYC in late September it could be perfectly feasible for, say, Okada or Ibushi or Shingo to make a trip to America around that time... NJPW just announced Dome events in Saitama in Early Sept... Maybe they'll take some time off after that? It's likely travel restrictions will be lifted by then...

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's kinda already too late for that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

A friend of mine just texted me that if AEW is running NYC in late September it could be perfectly feasible for, say, Okada or Ibushi or Shingo to make a trip to America around that time... NJPW just announced Dome events in Saitama in Early Sept... Maybe they'll take some time off after that? It's likely travel restrictions will be lifted by then...

Eddie said there's a couple people he really wants to face.  And while I don't know about Jun Akiyama I think he said he wants to face Tanahashi or Ishii.  So if you get either of them for him to face then he may as well retire after that unless they can do MSG some other time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goodear said:

You are making one claim ‘you should have to take a wrestling class to really talk about wrestling’ while already conceding that it’s an unreasonable request. I will concede immediately that I am only a fan. I do not claim a doctorate in wrestling. You could probably beat me in a trivia contest since I’m bad at dates. But for you to say I cannot comment on certain things because (and let’s be honest) you don’t like my conclusions is a you problem.

I never said that. I literally said the opposite. I said I wish more people did a tryout so they could come from a place of knowledge not just opinion. And maybe I should amend that and say at least watch a tryout class. I know there are fans that enjoy wrestling that have zero desire to ever partake in it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My statement better said is I wish more fans came from a place of knowledge on what they're speaking on. Watching and listening in to a tryout is almost as effective as taking part in one.

I find your breakdown post condescending as fuck. You aren't speaking on the opinion of what you like or what you think is good or bad about the spot. You're scolding two world renowned professionals on the mechanics of their performance as if you have any real knowledge or experiencing on performing. And speaking as if your outlook is a cemented fact, and not just your uneducated opinion. Calling a dude's strike "limp dick" 1000% makes you the dick in my head. That's some big time condescending horseshit. That's it man. Never said don't say what you want to say, just asked you to be less pretentious about it. Be less of a dick. Be less condescending.

But you do what you wanna do, this is my last post on it.

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I never said that. I literally said the opposite. I said I wish more people did a tryout so they could come from a place of knowledge not just opinion. And maybe I should amend that and say at least watch a tryout class. I know there are fans that enjoy wrestling that have zero desire to ever partake in it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My statement better said is I wish more fans came from a place of knowledge on what they're speaking on. Watching and listening in to a tryout is almost as effective as taking part in one.

I find your breakdown post condescending as fuck. You aren't speaking on the opinion of what you like or what you think is good or bad about the spot. You're scolding two world renowned professionals on the mechanics of their performance as if you have any real knowledge or experiencing on performing. And speaking as if your outlook is a cemented fact, and not just your uneducated opinion. Calling a dude's strike "limp dick" 1000% makes you the dick in my head. That's some big time condescending horseshit. That's it man. Never said don't say what you want to say, just asked you to be less pretentious about it. Be less of a dick. Be less condescending.

But you do what you wanna do, this is my last post on it.

I will say one thing on this. My buddy bought a ring about six years ago and I decided to go over there one day and see what it was like.

Lemme tell ya, those mats HURT if you land wrong. I'm pretty sure I got a concussion just trying to take a normal back bump because the back of my head just slapped against the mat. That and my buddy tried to do the Brock Lesnar jump on the ring apron, but missed, fell, and put a giant gash in his leg from the scrape on the side (there were no apron skirts on). After that day, I REALLY gained a new appreciation for wrestling and just how dangerous it can be. It's not easy by any means and even standing in the ring doesn't feel normal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

Or we all get THE dream match we all deserve: Omega vs Yano 60 minute iron man match for the AEW World Title!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US WORLD CHAMPION YANO YOU COWARDS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:45 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fairly sure they aren't taking any weeks off. They don't have the Saturday July 3rd episode listed anywhere yet because it's a taped show... so they aren't selling tickets to it.

Friday June 18th (taped Dynamite) -already been taped

Saturday June 26th (live Dynamite) -live June 26th

Saturday July 3rd (taped Dynamite) -taped June 27th

Back on the road with all live Wednesday night shows on the road starting July 7th.

Looks like I was slightly off. AEW's twitter posted Wednesday June 30th is the return to Wednesday nights. So no Saturday Jully 3rd show, that show is bumped up a few days to Wednesday June 30th. Likely still taped June 27th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I loved this so much!! I just found her on Twitter, there are a few similarly named adult performers, hers is

(@) MafiosaRossi 

If anyone wants to give her a follow. Great fucking gimmick.

So s ValentinO Rossi not on anyone's radar? He's a pretty famous guy. Very good at riding a motorbike. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I will say one thing on this. My buddy bought a ring about six years ago and I decided to go over there one day and see what it was like.

Lemme tell ya, those mats HURT if you land wrong. I'm pretty sure I got a concussion just trying to take a normal back bump because the back of my head just slapped against the mat. That and my buddy tried to do the Brock Lesnar jump on the ring apron, but missed, fell, and put a giant gash in his leg from the scrape on the side (there were no apron skirts on). After that day, I REALLY gained a new appreciation for wrestling and just how dangerous it can be. It's not easy by any means and even standing in the ring doesn't feel normal. 

I spent a few hours at a trampoline place and everything hurt for a few days.  I also "bumped" wrong a few times just like you (didn't tuck my chin), which was also no picnic.  The thing about trampolines is, whatever hits first gets the soft impact.  Everything else becomes solid as the force of the first impact radiates outward.   Anyway, I have no idea how wrestlers do it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Looks like I was slightly off. AEW's twitter posted Wednesday June 30th is the return to Wednesday nights. So no Saturday Jully 3rd show, that show is bumped up a few days to Wednesday June 30th. Likely still taped June 27th.

They might double tape on the 26/27th, or I could see them maybe doing a "farewell Daily's Place" show live on the 30th.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I spent a few hours at a trampoline place and everything hurt for a few days.  I also "bumped" wrong a few times just like you (didn't tuck my chin), which was also no picnic.  The thing about trampolines is, whatever hits first gets the soft impact.  Everything else becomes solid as the force of the first impact radiates outward.   Anyway, I have no idea how wrestlers do it.

Funny you mention that as I'm going to a trampoline place for a birthday party.  Last time I did one I was sore and had some lovely scrapes on my knees and elbows.  I'm not saying it's like a wrestling ring but if that's part of the initial bumps one takes then no thank you.

• Like 1

The Kenny/Fenix is not close to "fucking amazing" . The write-up is worse. Maybe everything is bad? I know that I have encountered good things in my life before, but I cannot remember them. Thank you.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I think it depends on the momentum they're carrying into those shows. I expect a make good for Newark just because they weren't able to do Blood & Guts there. Rochester should sell just because I expect that to be a Brodie/Jon Huber type tribute show. NYC should do good just because you get the feeling that's going to be a destination show to steal a Meltzer term. Boston should be fine because it's the only New England show, and I'm assuming it's Agganis Arena and not the Celtics arena. Same with Philly because that's going to be Liacouras and not where the Sixers play if my assumption is correct.

• Like 2