DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

Apparently -1 is only allowed on tv if his grades are good. His mom said on the gram that his grades were slipping so he couldn’t be on tv. No word on whether or not wearing a shirt is a punishment…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They absolutely need to have the Pinnacle win the rubber match ASAP and break em up. Group had a great run but it's time for Santana & Ortiz along with Sammy to do their own thing. No more fucking town halls. Please. 

I feel like there could be a really good endgame in there if Sammy turned on Chris for real this time

I think he's a significantly more effective heel than face. May be overcomplicating things after a great feel good moment for him and the IC at Double or Nothing but I totally see why you would want that. 

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They absolutely need to have the Pinnacle win the rubber match ASAP and break em up. Group had a great run but it's time for Santana & Ortiz along with Sammy to do their own thing. No more fucking town halls. Please. 

Seriously.  Fat, delusional rockstar Jericho with an ego befitting a guy who thinks he's a legend who built the promotion is a zillion times better than humble Jericho thanking the fans, hugging his friends, and grousing over how her can't get falling onto cardboard out of his head.  There is really no more reason for the Inner Circle to exist.

• Like 4

my current "tune out" list:

Jericho/Inner Circle in non-wrestling roles

Young Bucks matches

QT Marshall segments of all kinds

Matt Hardy/Private Party 

on the cusp:

Cody promos (i pay attention the first minute or two)

the Jerks (gonna need some real forward motion, and soon)

stuff i want way more of:

Hangman Page

Thunder Rosa

Jungle Boy

FTR

Santana & Ortiz

Christian

Edited by twiztor
more
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, twiztor said:

my current "tune out" list:

Jericho/Inner Circle in non-wrestling roles

Young Bucks matches

QT Marshall segments of all kinds

Matt Hardy/Private Party 

on the cusp:

Cody promos (i pay attention the first minute or two)

the Jerks (gonna need some real forward motion, and soon)

stuff i want way more of:

Hangman Page

Thunder Rosa

Jungle Boy

FTR

Santana & Ortiz

Christian

Yep.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I feel like there could be a really good endgame in there if Sammy turned on Chris for real this time

I realllllllyyyy thought at the end of Stadium Stampede when they put Sammy up on everyone's shoulders we were getting the Evolution kick Orton out story. Maybe that was never even a thought and I'm just over thinking it lol. But I also think it's possible Jericho did that little spot on purpose to tease it for people paying attention.

Glad that isn't where it went tho. Too soon for a swerve right after being in an hour long fight together. I actually agree with the sentiment that Inner Circle has worn out it's welcome, at least in it's current form. Hope they have something in the chamber to end the gang wars feud / kick start something new for all of them. Hopefully they nail the ending, because the beginning when Pinnacle debuted was pretty fucking great.

I really hope Sammy comes out of this thing as a face. While the promo and character clearly needs some work, I've been ready for it from an in-ring perspective for about eight months now. When they ran that Sammy/Ortiz vs MJF/Wardlow match last year, the dynamic coming out of that made it very clear that it's gonna slap whenever we get that MJF-Sammy match. Pretty sure they also made a point of putting some shine on Sammy in that three-way Inner Circle tag debacle. I think if they're smart about what they've been doing with Sammy, they'll lean away from flipping him back heel for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

I was a bit worried about AEW's momentum a few weeks ago, but an awesome Double or Nothing show with a full, very hot crowd quelled those concerns for me. Once they are back touring in front of crowds and back airing on their normal Wednesday night time slot, things will be rolling again. However, after being ambivalent towards AEW moving off of TNT, I now strongly favor the move to TBS. Having to move shows to a bad timeslot for over a month is not conducive to building and maintaining your product. Now they just need to move Rampage to 6:05 Eastern on Saturday night (in all seriousness, while maybe not that timeslot, trial and error is showing that live ratings will likely be rough in that 10 P.M Eastern Friday night slot).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

That kid is becoming a problem I tell ya

Shit! Taz and Excalibur, my favourite commentary team in wrestling.

This still makes me laugh:

Poor Justin Law.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

I was a bit worried about AEW's momentum a few weeks ago, but an awesome Double or Nothing show with a full, very hot crowd quelled those concerns for me. Once they are back touring in front of crowds and back airing on their normal Wednesday night time slot, things will be rolling again. However, after being ambivalent towards AEW moving off of TNT, I now strongly favor the move to TBS. Having to move shows to a bad timeslot for over a month is not conducive to building and maintaining your product. Now they just need to move Rampage to 6:05 Eastern on Saturday night (in all seriousness, while maybe not that timeslot, trial and error is showing that live ratings will likely be rough in that 10 P.M Eastern Friday night slot).

Legit the first two episodes I haven't watched. I caught some clips of the important stuff but Friday nights is rough, man. When Rampage starts, I'm going to have to stay spoiler free because that shit just kills my motivation to watch. That show only being an hour will help though. 

I think we're getting just the right amount of: 

Tay Conti - Showcasing her without aggressively over-pushing her.

Miro - Cutting threatening promos and murdering people.

The Uninjured Bear Country Guy and JD Drake - Consistently looking great, whether going over or playing JTTS.

Darby - I'm still excited every time he shows up.

Dustin - I wouldn't mind him in a main event brawl once every month or two.

Starks and Hobbs - Letting them grow and develop on TV without overexposing them seems like the right move.

King - Has earned every second of screen time he gets. Top of the card underdog is a tough role, but he is nailing it so far.

Tully- I'm happy every time he is out there, never sick of seeing him, never wondering where he's gone.

Jade - Looks dominant without exposing how green she is.

Leyla Hirsch - I am enjoying watching her work her way up the card like Tay did.

I feel like we haven't seen Shawn Dean in a while.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=188848039793034&id=100457048632134

Some of the history behind Penta 0M. Interesting stuff!

THE HISTORY OF THE PENTAGON AND WHY ZERO MIEDO WAS BORN:
PENTAGÓN, the cursed character in wrestling; the fatal fate of those who used the character. Multiple wrestlerss have used the name, but curiously they end up being forgotten by fans or have a tragic ending:
The curse of the PENTAGON character in wrestling there are legends or myths that help give the character a more real story. In this circumstance, the story of this character is real. the supposed curse of the character PENTAGÓN, since whoever owns the name has a tragic end.
Historically there were multiple versions of this character; however, most of the cases have suffered a painful end in their trajectory.
THE BEGGINING:
PENTAGÓN was originally incarnated by JESÚS ANDRADE SALAZAR. In the beginning he was one of the most talented wrestlers.
Success soon led him to the Arena México (CMLL) to prove himself with the stars, where later ANTONIO PEÑA offered him to sign with AAA. In this way PENTAGÓN was born, to be the nemesis of OCTAGÓN.
Although the outfits were similar, there was a difference in personalities between the two gladiators, even JESÚS SALAZAR gained more popularity than his opposite OCTAGON.
Despite this, in a function in Aguascalientes in 1996, he suffered a tragic accident that caused a cardiorespiratory arrest in the ring, for which he was immediately taken to hospital. He was hospitalized for weeks, even on the point of being paralyzed. Despite healing and not suffering sequelae, he abandoned wrestling forever.
PENTAGON 2:
Later, when SALAZAR retired, AAA immediately thought about giving the character to another fighter: This time it was JOE MERCADO. With a lot of experience, PENTAGON II was once again the center of public attention thanks to his talent with the microphone and his skill.
This version was the one that lasted the longest in the AAA company, however, the wrestler was losing popularity among the public and left AAA on bad terms. his career did not give for more and he retired.
PENTAGON 3:
Again AAA looked for an heir to fill the mask. On this occasion, RICARDO MORENO ANTONIO bore the name and was the one who had a more developed rivalry against OCTAGÓN. In Triplemanía X, in a betting match, his mask fell off.
This was a starting point for the athlete to suffer a decline in his career.
PENTAGON 4:
In 1995 the character was born. sadly, he was charged with murder and later imprisoned. In some interviews, the wrestler has explained that he was unjustly accused, but his ignorance of the legal process led to his imprisonment for 18 years.
On the other hand, inside the jail I have taught Pro Wrestling classes contributing a little of their knowledge to society.
NEW VICTIMA PENTAGON JR (PENTA ZERO M):
In 2012 a new version appeared, PENTAGÓN JR. Although his companions and family advised him not to take the character for the supposed curse, he always stood firm saying that he did not care, and thanks to that the phrase Zero Miedo was born.
Abandonment AAA, to participate in the independent scene. Under the name of Penta 0M (to avoid legal problems), he became one of the most prestigious in the Pro wrestling , conquering more than 68 companies around the planet.
He is currently part of AEW and AAA, leaving the curse behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

Miro - Cutting threatening promos and murdering people.

Yeah, I considered making a "just the right amount" list to get ahead of people wrongly thinking some people were excluded from the "need more" list, and Miro was my number one. He's a past "need more" mortal lock, but I'm sure we're getting into a perfect "just the right amount' pocket with him. And I couldn't be happier. 

Also, mostly-okay list in general! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

I don’t know if this happened ages ago and I missed it, but based on Elevation   it looks like they got rid of Santana & Ortiz’s banger of a theme. The new one didn’t do much for me on first impression. Nice promo and squash by them though.

Im quite liking the QT character now but I think the reason I can’t get on board with him in-ring is the constant re-adjusting his trunks. Is someone not pointing this out to him backstage? Get some gear that fits FFS.

Oh and I liked that Team Taz squash, it kind of demonstrated how much more effective Hobbs is than Cage. Hobbs only did a couple of simple things but they looked really good and he showed he can work a crowd, getting face then heel heat by spamming a body slam. Cage ran through a load of shit with nothing really standing out, other than accidentally dropping a dude on his head trying some convoluted setup.

And the drillclaw sucks, it’s half way between a screwdriver and a falcon arrow but ends up not looking as good as either. I’m not advocating dropping dudes on their head but if you’re gonna make the screwdriver look that safe then just don’t bother doing it.

• Like 2

What's interesting to me in these lists of Less, More, Enough are the guys that haven't been mentioned. Now this could be for a number of different reasons such as not covering the entire roster (because obviously you wouldn't list everyone) or lumping them in the Enough category before it became a category. But it does seem odd to me that The World Champion hasn't been mentioned by anyone despite the small sample size of commentators. MJF also seems missing considering his leadership role in a faction. This would lead me to believe that they at the very least aren't at the top of mind in terms of considering AEW's talent roster. That seems really odd to me considering their importance to AEW programming.

Miro referring to God in his promos adds a really interesting wrinkle to his presentation. I think it adds a level of gravitas to his delivery like "Oh he's invoking Jesus, he must really believe this."  While some might argue that its a face thing to say your prayers and take your vitamins, I think the national discourse has changed to the point that the general populace no longer sees worship as something inherently good.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

What's interesting to me in these lists of Less, More, Enough are the guys that haven't been mentioned. Now this could be for a number of different reasons such as not covering the entire roster (because obviously you wouldn't list everyone) or lumping them in the Enough category before it became a category. But it does seem odd to me that The World Champion hasn't been mentioned by anyone despite the small sample size of commentators. MJF also seems missing considering his leadership role in a faction. This would lead me to believe that they at the very least aren't at the top of mind in terms of considering AEW's talent roster. That seems really odd to me considering their importance to AEW programming.

a number of names ran through my mind, including the aforementioned Kenny Omega and MJF. i feel like they are not being used too much or too little. Just the right amount. I'm not pining for more Omega matches or wishing we got just one more Pinnacle promo. When i see them, i am invested, but don't think they're over- or under-served.

the vast majority of the performers fall into a middle category of "approximately the right amount", which is how it should be. I'm intrigued to see what Powerhouse Hobbs can do, but i don't think he should be rushed in to "badass steamroller that decimates everyone, only to fall to the champ" role that AEW has already done with Archer and Brodie Lee. Jungle Boy/Jurassic Express was another. i'm enjoying the push JB is getting but don't want to see him get overexposed by featuring him in 3 segments a night. I love the Dark Order, but they're still having a hard time reconciling the goofy skits on BTE with the leaderless stable on Dynamite. Would i like to see more? yes. but not just to see them. i would like for their featured time to go up once they have found a role and a reason.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Y'all need to watch this Miro promo:

Poor Evil Uno.

"But this Friday I will bend the knee and talk to the heavens.  But when that bell rings I will show you the devil."  *sounds of thunder*

I never use emojis but if there was ever a line that deserves the ? emoji this sure as shit is it.  Damn he's incredible at this.

• Like 4