DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sonic has it.

Well, have Wendy's bring around the Beatdown Bus and get it back -- with a side of tots.

Spoiler

d4iuqvl-964606d2-387e-4e3b-bc69-2640572c

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordberg said:

p4VJHkd.jpg

Save your pointless comparisons to irrelevant pablum for someone else. Comparisons to WWE only serve to dissuade criticism of this shit and prop up a false worldview. Comparing AEW to WWE is the most basic dingdong level of discourse that exists among wrestling fans today, and exists only for small people who don't want to take AEW on its metis. 

And as someone who's literally started threads for the sole purpose of gaslighting people into thinking AEW is a thing that conforms to your worldview, you should sit this one out. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

She got to show her offense that makes her stand out in the indies.  That match was awesome.

I never paid attention to her much but considering Statlander's not opposed to a mean girl match I was delighted to see it go that route.  Really, really good stuff.

9 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Yikes. That number looks bad.

For those with some idea how TV programming works: Is there any chance this leads to the TV executives reconsidering the plan to put Rampage on Friday? Is the time slot carved in stone now that it has been announced? Do same-day ratings matter more to TV people than 7-day ratings? 

I think it was @Technico Support who was saying on the Dynamite thread that he watched the Friday show on Saturday, skipping through parts, and didn't feel it lime he does watching "live" on a Wednesday. I'd have to imagine he's not the only one. Even on here, there weren't very many comments on the show right after it ended.

For me, later on Friday night works because it airs at 11 am on Saturday here and that's a free and convenient time for me, but even so it doesn't have the same feel as a Wednesday night (Thursday morning) airing where I've got a chat going with some of my wrestling friends and also the DVDVR Discord to read during commercial breaks. 

I'm looking forward to Dynamite having a permanent timeslot and hoping that Rampage is not given a death slot.

Or at least, as @Zakk_Sabbath suggests, that AEW book Rampage so that it becomes appointment viewing... 

I end up watching it Saturday since my wife works early that morning.  Which sucks considering I ended up spoiling myself on the Andrande debut forgetting it was on.  I'm hoping that they put Rampage in the 8 slot as I imagine a lot more people would be willing to see it live even on a Friday.  But man their decision to switch to TBS really is the right move if they're getting preempted this much.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But man their decision to switch to TBS really is the right move if they're getting preempted this much.

QFT. And don't forget next year, this would theoretically be happening even more regularly with the NHL were they to have stayed on TNT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

E3VtmbTXIAQNNpP?format=jpg&name=large

Interesting... Although in terms of being a tryout, Archer tends to squash everyone flat as a Pancake, so unlikely Zicky gets to show much in this one. But if the fans dig him, that could be good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

E3VtmbTXIAQNNpP?format=jpg&name=large

Interesting... Although in terms of being a tryout, Archer tends to squash everyone flat as a Pancake, so unlikely Zicky gets to show much in this one. But if the fans dig him, that could be good.

I am so on board with Zicky acting like the biggest fool only for Archer to nuke him.  This is going to be great!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man that's cold... Well, hopefully if crowds start dumping on him when they hit the road again, the poor fucker will have the sense to just turn heel instead of just continually climbing uphill

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Save your pointless comparisons to irrelevant pablum for someone else. Comparisons to WWE only serve to dissuade criticism of this shit and prop up a false worldview. Comparing AEW to WWE is the most basic dingdong level of discourse that exists among wrestling fans today, and exists only for small people who don't want to take AEW on its metis.

Please do me a favor and jump on over to MCU & DCEU threads and post this very important argument there. I wouldn't want you to be inconsistent.

Oh also mention it in the upcoming games thread when people compare Series X to PS5 too please.

While we're at it can you also just setup an alert to post that anytime WCW comes up? I mean they died 20 years ago. I assume no one uses it as a reference point for comparisons. But if they do, make sure you hit us up with your super insightful thoughts on the sanctity of comparisons.

Oh wait, you mean you don't spam this same talking point for other comparisons all over the rest of the board? Weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Please do me a favor and jump on over to MCU & DCEU threads and post this very important argument there. I wouldn't want you to be inconsistent.

Oh also mention it in the upcoming games thread when people compare Series X to PS5 too please.

While we're at it can you also just setup an alert to post that anytime WCW comes up? I mean they died 20 years ago. I assume no one uses it as a reference point for comparisons. But if they do, make sure you hit us up with your super insightful thoughts on the sanctity of comparisons.

Oh wait, you mean you don't spam this same talking point for other comparisons all over the rest of the board? Weird.

Is it enough of a problem in the MCU and DC threads at the moment to bear a reminder? Hasn't been the last few times I've been in those threads. So it doesn't come up. Weird.

I don't play enough video games or bother to discuss them, so I don't give a fuck. Why would I yell at dumb assholes in a space I'm not even occupying? Weird

Does WCW talk lead to literal braindead takes and cancerous discourse? 

Weird. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I really liked how they started Elevation with a Thunder Rosa before the opening last week. I was hoping they would do that again this week with someone else hyping up their match during the program.

EDIT: my bad...I must've missed the beginning of Elevation yesterday. That Santana and Ortiz promo was dope. Hope they do this every week. Maybe even do a promo montage like Saturday Night's Main Event.

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 4

Meltzer was on the tweets today talking about the +3 numbers for AEW being right in line with what they normally do.

Also, I put my two weeks in two thursdays ago, and as I am full "out of fucks to give" mode, I screened Stadium Stampede for my guys on the line today. They loved it, especially the Urban Meyer & Charlie Strong cameos. When I get back from my 2 margarita lunch I'm showing Imperium vs. UE from Worlds Collide. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Also, I put my two weeks in two thursdays ago, and as I am full "out of fucks to give" mode, I screened Stadium Stampede for my guys on the line today. They loved it, especially the Urban Meyer & Charlie Strong cameos. When I get back from my 2 margarita lunch I'm showing Imperium vs. UE from Worlds Collide. 

*don'tsayitdon'tsayitdon'tsayit*

Spoiler

As long as you don't compare the two!

Goddamnit. Oh, how the dings have ... donged.

• Haha 2

Huh? I must've missed something. No, I'm trying to introduce my guys to my beefy Austrian nephew and his "Prison Guard in every WW2 Nazi Movie Ever" friends. Figured it was the nicest thing I could do for them before leaving them with their new boss, who is a feckless idiot. 

Edited by just drew

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Only if you've got Austin Aries Complex. 

Awkward. Shouldn't you be able to describe him WITHOUT comparing him to someone else? ?

I think I made my point. I will dial back the snark a few notches now. Sorry everyone lol.

• Like 1