DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I totally forgot the team name of The Brothers of Destruction.

The Valiant Brothers were a hot enough act to main event MSG in an era when nearly every month's main was the HW World title match.

• Like 1

People often (to me) forget that Tully and Arn were not an official team for all that long, relatively speaking. We all love them, but I think they are over-elevated (why I don't vote for them as a HOF team). 

I always think the people who put these lists together are given a certain set of "unwritten" rules that they have to follow.

Like can't mention certain wrestlers, must have "recent" people (ie: Street Profits), do your best to include certain wrestlers (ie: Flair, Rock), Hall of Famers take precedence over others, etc...

And then there are other factors like I don't think Harper/Rowan are on the list if Harper didn't pass away. Or maybe they would have been on as "The Wyatt Family" instead

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Isn't Vince a Valiant mark? They probably put them that high to pop the boss.

I've never heard that. They made Johnny V drop the Valiant name because Jimmy was so prominent in JCP.

Vince was a Graham brothers mark.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I've never heard that. They made Johnny V drop the Valiant name because Jimmy was so prominent in JCP.

Vince was a Graham brothers mark.

Ah yes...you're probably right lol. 

Unless he was undercover Boogie Woogie Man fan and he was heartbroken that the boy from New York City never came back? ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Ah yes...you're probably right lol. 

Unless he was undercover Boogie Woogie Man fan and he was heartbroken that the boy from New York City never came back? ?

His vendetta against Mr. America was just embarrassed overcorrection for once having been duped by Charlie Brown From Outta Town

• Haha 2

Jeri-Show is certainly an interesting inclusion. They only had two title reigns (not a lot for the era they were active in), weren't around very long, and while I'm not sure what "cultural significance" is exactly I doubt they had much as a team.

And, of course, both guys now work for the competition. I can buy that WWE doesn't sweat AEW enough to under-rate people just because they work there, but it seems odd that they'd over-rate two AEW workers.

30 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Jeri-Show is certainly an interesting inclusion. They only had two title reigns (not a lot for the era they were active in), weren't around very long, and while I'm not sure what "cultural significance" is exactly I doubt they had much as a team.

And, of course, both guys now work for the competition. I can buy that WWE doesn't sweat AEW enough to under-rate people just because they work there, but it seems odd that they'd over-rate two AEW workers.

I think they both fall into that "they need to be on the list somewhere"

Show had 4 different title reigns with 3 different partners - this was the most "meaningful" (Plus - they probably wanted to keep duplications to a minimum let alone put Kane on the list 3 times)

Jericho had 7 title reigns so it was probably a "he technically a really good tag wrestler so maybe he should be on"

Yes - I have this weird need to understand WWE's logic (no matter how baffling)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Vince probably purposefully ignores today's movies because he remembers the day when you could go to the theater and get 2 tickets, a large popcorn, 2 drinks AND some candy all for a dollar. 

Vince is a lot less Mr. Burns and more Grandpa Simpson these days I imagine. 

Vince should hang out with my dad, who still goes on about getting a B movie, an A movie and a cartoon for a dime

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

The Quebecers need to be higher for their song alone

I will go to my grave shouting that the Quebecers carried the heel side of the WWF in late 93/early 94, while Shawn was off on one of his things and Champion Yokozuna was, rightly, positioned as more of a special attraction

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And then there are other factors like I don't think Harper/Rowan are on the list if Harper didn't pass away. Or maybe they would have been on as "The Wyatt Family" instead

I think they would have been on just because they were a team that spent a good amount of years together. That said, I'm not sure they would have been on as high.

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think The Smoking Gunn's and The Headshrinkers are vastly undervalued in this. Both teams held up the tag division in the New Generation era.

If you look at the list of teams that Gunns beat during their run, kayfabe-wise that is a hell of a bunch of established teams. They have wins over Public Enemy, Rock N Roll Express, Heavenly Bodies, Bruise Brothers and others who only stayed long enough to put Gunns over. That's pretty impressive.

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

In addition to the other, very good, points raised about them; Jeri-Show, particularly Jericho, revived the "wear a suit with the title belt" look. This isn't to say that people weren't doing it before, just that following them, there was a spike in the number of people with title belts who were walking around in suits on WWE TV.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 6/29/2021 at 9:22 PM, The Natural said:

Have we ever had a go at the Mount Rushmore of the Greatest Talkers in wrestling history?

Funk, Austin, Foley and Flair for me.