DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Fun question while I make Hamburger Helper: Who were your favorite wrestlers as a kid? The people that got you all into wrestling.

Rollerball Rocco and Kendo Nagasaki.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Fun question while I make Hamburger Helper: Who were your favorite wrestlers as a kid? The people that got you all into wrestling.

Since i was not a kid when i started watching (14 or 15), my choices are prob atypical: midnights, dibiase, budro, tully, jake. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Liked just for mentioning Hamburger Helper!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Or they (read Vince) had no idea what's on the other channel.

But hey, #narrative. 

I want to believe that Vince tries to tune into Dynamite to check out the competition but doesn’t know what time the show comes on, so instead has watched The Equalizer a dozen times

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I’d like to have a cooler answer, but it was Hulk Hogan. Probably somewhere around WM2. I went to a show in St Louis in 86 where he faced Orndorff and the reaction to Hogan was incredible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Log said:

I’d like to have a cooler answer, but it was Hulk Hogan. Probably somewhere around WM2. I went to a show in St Louis in 86 where he faced Orndorff and the reaction to Hogan was incredible. 

I also wish I had a better answer but as an 80s kid the Hulkster was the one who hooked me, until the Macho Man showed up, and then I was all in on Randy...DIG IT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Randy Savage, The Great Muta, The Rockers, Bret Hart.

• Like 1

Being a million years old. let me think back.  Danny Hodge, Cowboy Bill Watts, Gypsy Joe Lothario, Johnny Valentine, Ken Patera, Number One Paul Jones, the Minnesota Wrecking Crew- Gene and Ole, Wahoo McDaniel, Ricky Steamboat, Blackjack Mulligan, Rocky Johnson, then Jimmy Snuka.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

Gene Kiniski and Don Leo Jonathan.

As a kid, Don Leo losing his title match to Pedro Morales was considered proof that the promoters fixed the matches.

Lou Albano and The Grand Wizard got me into wrestling.

• Like 4

On 6/19/2021 at 6:52 PM, Octopus said:

Earliest acts I can remember being really into were Surfer Sting, Mr. Perfect, Midnight Express (Lane/Eaton), and the Samoan Swat Team with Paul E.  

Edit: Oh, and Gary Hart/Muta in WCW.  Muta in WCW was probably my first exposure to Japanese wrestling.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I want to believe that Vince tries to tune into Dynamite to check out the competition but doesn’t know what time the show comes on, so instead has watched The Equalizer a dozen times

So Vince is about to offer Dave Sullivan a big money contract?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

Randy Savage on two occasions - first saw him in the WWF as a wee boy, and then after falling off for a couple years, I stumbled onto an episode of either WCWSN or Nitro he was on and was hooked big

• Like 1