DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

AoP's relaunch was so obviously a Paul Heyman-backed production with the promos and Samoa Joe putting them over as dangerous on commentary, that it's no small wonder that it disappeared as fast as it did once they got hurt/Heyman was replaced.  One can just imagine them wrecking guys in the ECW Arena for months on end. Heyman's philosophy has always been "hide the flaws" (i.e. get around AOP's weak promo skills by pretaping subtitled promos) when WWE's adage has been "Fire anyone with flaws". It's probably a necessary change in philosophy from running a struggling indy (Make the best of what you have) to gigantic corporate wrestling company (We don't need to work around their flaws, we have a zillion other teams that can take their place) but I think it's part of the reason they're struggling to develop stars. I mean, Steve Austin with his history of injuries and tepid crowd responses would have never made it to "Stone Cold", he would have been dumped/buried sometime during the "Ringmaster" phase.

• Like 3

Other California indies should be right behind. I doubt they’re running unless it’s at 100% capacity. Back at the start of the pandemic Markus Mac and Gabe Ramirez said it would be extremely long before they could run shows because limited capacity wouldn’t work financially for them. Guess we’re getting close to normal. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Don't really see an issue with HHH thinking they have the best women's wrestling in the world. Its an opinion and a brand he is trying to sell.  

i mean, you could argue it'd be a fireable offense for him not to claim that.

Remember when he was active, and feuding with Cena, and he said "you can't wrestle!" and a good portion of the audience never stopped believing that/crapping on Cena? More than just basic unprofessionalism in burying your opponent, given that was a Wrestlemania Main Event program build, that was promotional malpractice, and he should've been permanently doghoused for that shit. Trying to sabotage the new ace? GTFO.

Glad he's learned his lesson.

Do I think WWE has the the best women's division in wrestling?  Of course not, that's mathematically impossible because Jessie McKay isn't there anymore [ ? ]

Do I think he thinks WWE has the best women's division in wrestling? Probably.  He better act like he does every time he goes on record, either way.

Edited by BobbyWhioux

It's the "Are in WWE or want to be" that's getting people upset. Because, like, Deonna Purazzo seems way happier to be out of the WWE.

Also, is everyone fully aware that this Triple H statement is from an Media call, not a formal interview? Because it also gave us this:

Edited by AxB
Media call, not investor's call
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I actually do think they have the best women's division in the world right now. Whether or not they are using it to the best of their abilities though.........

Their roster is vast.  They would need a dedicated show to use them all correctly.  

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Their roster is vast.  They would need a dedicated show to use them all correctly.  

I've always felt they should have gone with a women's show before they did something like 205Live, NXT UK, etc. They've had a big enough roster for years and the PC people could easily have been jobber/enhancement talent until they got good and adjusted.

• Like 1

I mean, who cares? HHH is supposed to promote his brand. That's what company spokespeople do. This is just a tizzy about nothing. People reflexively hate HHH, and I get it, but instead of being mad at innocuous comments like this, be happy that Vince would probably rather sell the company than let HHH run it when Vince is dead, and no matter how successful HHH is, he will hold that ultimate L close to his heart forever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

It's just ironic to me, when you think how insanely over NXT was at one point. When fans were buying fruit baskets and shit, and Tye Dillinger would get a huge pop for drawing number Ten in the Royal Rumble. At that time, NXT had the totally uncritical "We love everything!!" fanbase that WWE lovers now accuse AEW of having. Even though the fact that Shawn Spears isn't Tye Dillinger over immediately disproves that theory.

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Don't see what's controversial about H's statement, if he went full kumbaya putting over other promotions that would be strange.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's just ironic to me, when you think how insanely over NXT was at one point. When fans were buying fruit baskets and shit, and Tye Dillinger would get a huge pop for drawing number Ten in the Royal Rumble. At that time, NXT had the totally uncritical "We love everything!!" fanbase that WWE lovers now accuse AEW of having. Even though the fact that Shawn Spears isn't Tye Dillinger over immediately disproves that theory.

I'd say NXT's best period was 2013-2018 particularly 2015-2016 and 2018. 2015 is still my favourite year in NXT history for the NXT Four Horsewomen primarily Banks vs. Bayley two ***** matches with Kevin Owens short time there. It's like all things, there's highs and lows. To me what hasn't helped NXT is people long overstaying their welcome yet to be called up, the hit and miss ratio of NXT callups to the main roster and the Gargano/Cole/Ciampa match formula especially the Cole/Gargano trilogy. That's why Finn Balor vs. Kyle O'Reilly from NXT TakeOver: 31 and WALTER vs. Ciampa from NXT TakeOver: Stand and Deliver was so refreshing.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, AxB said:

There was a lot to like about that time in NXT. Tye Dillinger was a goofy midcarder, doing goofy midcard things and giving him the #10 spot was a fun nod to the decent (if maybe not spectacular,) work he was doing.

One of the major differences between the NXT of a few years ago and the NXT of today is that things didn't seem to overstay their welcome quite as much. Between the one hour of TV, Takeovers limited to the weekend of a Big Four PPV, and people moving on to bigger and better things the main roster; people could come in, have a long, sensibly booked feud or two, and then move on with their lives. It helped that the big matches delivered.

Then Adam Cole happened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The old NXT also felt really diverse.

Balor, Cole, Gargano, KOR... It's just slightly different presentation of much the same style.

Back in the day you had Enzo + Cass, The Revival, American Alpha, The Vaudevillians, Lucha Dragons, BAMF... Joe was not Balor was not Nakamura was not Roode.

MaaaybeJoe and Owens were a little close but overall there was a clear definition between gimmicks.

I think that kills NXT more than 45 finisher kickouts every Takeover. It's all just so... vanilla.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Balor, Cole, Gargano, KOR... It's just slightly different presentation of much the same style.

I don't see an argument at all for goofy heel Gargano being the same as Balor, Cole, & KOR. Also why did you leave out the current champion who, despite my dislike of, isn't similar gimmick or style wise to any of them?

40 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Back in the day you had Enzo + Cass, The Revival, American Alpha, The Vaudevillians, Lucha Dragons, BAMF

Current teams are Ciampa/Thatcher, Grizzled Young Vets, Imperium, Breezango, MSK, Hit Row, LDF, Dain/Drake. Most of those teams are pretty different personality wise and in the ring.

42 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I think that kills NXT more than 45 finisher kickouts every Takeover. It's all just so... vanilla.

And this just feels inaccurate outside of the stale main event scene. 

NXT is generally solid-good right now. What kills it is AEW. Many were watching it because it was something different from WWE's norm while generally being well booked. Now that there is a second major promotion that covers this many just don't have a need to watch NXT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It used to be that the one big problem with NXT was that you'd end up cheering your favourites on to lose big matches, so they could get called up. Sure, main roster was bad then too, but I still wanted to see a Balor or a Nakamura in the big leagues where they belong, getting a shot, and hopefully freshening up one show while leaving a spot for someone to move up into in the other.

Now, hardly anyone ever leaves, some are so traumatised by main roster shittery that they ask to come back, and the show is incredibly stale as a result. Still the best WWE show, but stale. I don't make a habit of talking to my TV, but I actually screamed at it when Io Shirai appeared the other night. Why is she still there?! Smackdown has about five women at the moment, Raw basically has three who are taken seriously, why do we need Io in midcard NXT purgatory when they could be using her to massively improve one of them? Don't get me started on Gargano, Ciampa and Cole. All excellent wrestlers (if they have an editor, but still, top level talents overall) and I'm sick of the sight of them in this context.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

I've always felt they should have gone with a women's show before they did something like 205Live, NXT UK, etc. They've had a big enough roster for years and the PC people could easily have been jobber/enhancement talent until they got good and adjusted.

i feel the reason a women's show never happened is that it could alternatively be seen as a "promotion" or "demotion". You know it would be second rate in Vince's mind (not because it's women so much as that it's not Raw), so this show would get the second rate writers, etc., leading to a show that is lesser. The "men's show" is A, the "Women's show "is B. That's not a good look.

Think about it as race instead of sex. Would you want all your black wrestlers shuffled off to their own show? absolutely not, and it would be viewed as racist segregation. I think that alone is why you won't see an exclusively female show.

• Like 1