DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

On 6/7/2021 at 2:05 PM, Eoae said:

I assume we're talking the mean streets of Greenwich?  

I don't know if I'd trust anything Joey Abs told you.  i mean, he has an honest face and all, but...

shane mcmahon

I still remember when they debuted, and I wasn't on the internet and I could not figure out what his name was and was genuinely fairly certain his name was "Joey Ass". And every week I'd listen close and go "Joey...Ass?" Little did I know, we'd actually eventually have a "Mr. Ass".

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Lio Rush just announced his retirement from Pro Wrestling. Odd timing, but there you go.

Hide contents

Didn't he retire after he got released from WWE, too? I swear he'd previously retired, as well.

Regarding Lio while it sucks about his shoulder I think he went out on a much better note than when he initially "retired"  He went to a national company that wasn't WWE and had the chance to show his stuff one more time before hanging it up.  Plus he was able to patch things up with Mark Henry.  So if this is truly it for him then I can see him healing his shoulder and being happy with how things ended.

• Like 1

i look forward to 10 years from now, when a bunch of conversations will revolve around "oh i forgot X showed up in AEW that one time and was never seen again!"

Jeff Cobb

Warhorse

Lio Rush

there's obviously more than that, but i just find these one-off appearances bizarre. not bad, per se, just weird. and then there are guys like Kingston, who was there for a single showing and earned himself a contract and a top spot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Regarding Lio while it sucks about his shoulder I think he went out on a much better note than when he initially "retired"  He went to a national company that wasn't WWE and had the chance to show his stuff one more time before hanging it up.  Plus he was able to patch things up with Mark Henry.  So if this is truly it for him then I can see him healing his shoulder and being happy with how things ended.

Quitting wrestling and patching things up with Mark Henry: two excellent ways to safeguard your future health.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i look forward to 10 years from now, when a bunch of conversations will revolve around "oh i forgot X showed up in AEW that one time and was never seen again!"

Jeff Cobb

Warhorse

Lio Rush

there's obviously more than that, but i just find these one-off appearances bizarre. not bad, per se, just weird. and then there are guys like Kingston, who was there for a single showing and earned himself a contract and a top spot. 

Remember that time Kenta showed up and then… something something NJPW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Though I also wanna see more of KENTA in AEW, we at least got Yuji Nagata on TNT for the first time since the '90s out of it. I know some people here didn't dig the match, can't remember if you were among that group and we already discussed it, but my hype levels were up big for that one, so in all honesty I know I overrated it 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Though I also wanna see more of KENTA in AEW, we at least got Yuji Nagata on TNT for the first time since the '90s out of it. I know some people here didn't dig the match, can't remember if you were among that group and we already discussed it, but my hype levels were up big for that one, so in all honesty I know I overrated it 

I loved the Nagata match. I would love to see Nagata in AEW more.  Wrestling needs more veteran grumpy ass kickers.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The "King of Kong" guy

I still expect him to come back and get revenge for Kip Sabian! Then he and Brian Kuh double-team Miro until the AEW debut of Steve Wiebe!

Edited by caley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Here is how Meltzer phrased it in the story at the time of KENTA showing up on AEW

There was interest in having both sides work together when AEW was launching, but New Japan was skeptical of how successful the new venture would be and wanted Khan to come to Japan to meet with them. He sent Chris Harrington and the Young Bucks to make the deal instead which they didn't like as they thought it was a slight. Meltzer said that once Harold Meij left New Japan as president, the door was open to talking again.

In the same story - Dave seemed to hint that KENTA couldn't wait to get back to Japan (as he was living in Orlando still when the pandemic hit)

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-new-japan-pro-wrestling-establish-working-relationship-332261

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I loved the Nagata match. I would love to see Nagata in AEW more.  Wrestling needs more veteran grumpy ass kickers.

It's a shame he didn't stick around long enough to work Dustin.  I'd like to see the two of them wallop on each other for 10 minutes or so.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sabremike said:

If Chris Candido was still with us he wouldn't want any because he hates needles:

Watch this untill the very end for a big surprise appearance by a living legend you never saw coming. 

Besides the cameraman trying to give me motion sickness this was incredible. Chris was so Memphis it hurt, and so funny Joey lost composure. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Many of them have podcasts now. 

I really wish Cornette was more tolerable on his podcast and whatnot.  I dig Corny's appearances on Dark Side of the Ring.  Even-tempered wrestling historian Cornette is a great listen.  Unfortunately, Dark Side seems to be the only venue that keeps him focused an on message.  Whenever he appears elsewhere, he lapses into grumpy old man mode and you have to wade through his hang-ups, random misogny, back-in-my-day tangents, and whatever else he brings to the table.  It also annoys me how he will push something too far (Bischoff was right about controversy = cash), then act like a kid caught with his hand in the candy jar and kinda-sorta do a "oh, I'm a product of a different time.  I didn't know you can't say that now" routine.  Oh, bs.  I don't believe for a second that Cornette is senile or doesn't know exactly what he's saying.

• Like 3

Cornette's "old man yells at cloud" has largely turned me off of his podcast, even though I think he has a lot of valid points about modern wrestling. Pretty much the only segments I check out are the in memoriam when someone dies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, D.Z said:

The tag team AOP have retired from wrestling.

For more context on this - apparently per Fightful, both have regular jobs now. Apparently one promoter reached out to book them and were told "they are retired from wrestling" though it is a little unclear if that came directly from one of them or it is word of mouth

• Like 1