DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'm guessing the episode with a description mentioning the RNR Express is either the RNR Express vs British Bulldogs match from KCK, or they just have some RNR Express CSW matches to fill out a half hour.

It's a KC area Cable channel, so probably not a syndicated thing.

for the record, I was totally wrong, this show is the Jarrett-Parsons show, which is actually syndicated (in the cable sense)

Here is a PWI interview with Maki Itoh and Kamiyu.  Maki Itoh is great but Kamiyu not giving a fuck about pro wrestling is fucking awesome.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering the reputation of Central States Wrestling, I'm curious to figure out what would count as "Classic" Central States. I haven't actually seen the show though.

I would probably say Wrestling at the Chase tapes, which is as close to Central as it gets. There are a shitload out there. I've still not seen the classic Flair/Brody broadway from there where Brody apparently shows up to work.

i'm not sure how many territories ran their major weekly show on a Sunday morning, but KC's All Star Wrestling show was run on Sunday mornings, sometimes head to head with Televangelists. Not sure if that dissuaded any sort of active taping of the show (the quality of the show would also discourage that). I've seen some 1984/85 KC Central States on YouTube recently, but I doubt anybody is motivated to just upload the show in-bulk (also, I think CSW footage is owned by the WWE through a few steps)

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

Is Bulldog Bob Brown the guy who was featured the most with the least talent/charisma that wasn't based on nepotism in the territory era? 

When I first heard people's opinion on Brown, I assumed it was board hyperbole. Then I went out of my way to watch. WOW! It was often worse that people said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I guess that somewhat explains it.

But I still don't get things like "Giant Baba flew in from Japan, of all the talent available to face him, let's book Bulldog Bob Brown". 

They matched up Baba and other Japanese stars with someone like Brown since they're coming over to go over, Brown isn't going to lose any heat by jobbing to Baba.

53 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Has WWE ever aired Stampede full shows on either 24/7 or Peacock?  

Yeah, they used have a decent amount up on 24/7. Only a few on WWEN. They all had Ed Whalen though.

18 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Didn't they pull Stampede eps off of the Network because of a Bret Hart issue of some kind? 

They pulled them, IIRC, when Bret had one of his weird falling outs for talking shit on the current state of the company. 

And yeah, I think Martha had her own deal too. I'm not sure, but you know how she is (not arguing why).

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

They pulled them, IIRC, when Bret had one of his weird falling outs for talking shit on the current state of the company. 

And yeah, I think Martha had her own deal too. I'm not sure, but you know how she is (not arguing why).

Plus a lot of it became unusable after certain events in 2007.

13 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Plus a lot of it became unusable after certain events in 2007.

There wasn't any Benoit on there. They only brought in Stampede after Bret reconciled, and that was after what happened.

--

Okay, guess I was wrong, he was inducted in 2006, but didn't appear the next night and made his first Raw appearance two weeks before the murders.

Edited by PetrolCB

So last night I was watching Beyond Wrestling live, which had Steve Cutler from the Forgotten Sons making his company debut*, and Deonna Purazzo facing Masha Slamovich. But at the exact same time, Impact was on TV, featuring Deonna Purazzo, and with Steve Cutler being unveiled as their new signing.

* He beat Ted Goodz easily, and then put out an open challenge that was answered by ROH TV Champion Tony Deppen. As it turns out, he's pretty good as a straightforward brawler type.

Follow up about all the WWE/New Japan stuff from the new WON (I bolded probably the most important stuff)

On the New Japan/WWE stuff, this is what was and is happening. According to those close to the negotiations, this was not a Nick Khan idea at first, but he’s been the point man in the mix and there are those who believe he has recommended to Vince McMahon to pursue it. But the idea at first had nothing to do with screwing AEW although an exclusive deal if it’s done would ace out AEW and Impact. This very well could get about as far as WWE’s talks to buy NOAH, Stardom, Big Japan, Dragon Gate and AAA got, which all ended with no deal in place. Logic would indicate Tony Khan would not have cut that video thinking this deal is going to happen any time soon so it’s more likely than not this deal isn’t happening. The deal talked about would have been more likely be NXT focused and would have things beneficial for both sides and it’s not like WWE is going to buy New Japan or bring in Kazuchika Okada to job for Randy Orton or all the crazy speculation from the past week. Vince McMahon has worked with Japanese companies in the past, and they had a long relationship with New Japan which included Bob Backlund losing the WWF title to Antonio Inoki (although even with video proof, in WWE history, that no longer ever happened). That relationship ended when WWF started running so many domestic shows that they couldn’t afford Hulk Hogan going on New Japan tours. I think once Andre put over Inoki via submission, it was over. Andre may have been a separate Andre deal apart from WWE to begin with like Chris Jericho with New Japan, and it may have ended when they pulled Hulk Hogan from the 1984 tag team tournament or shortly after that, once WrestleMania I was successful as the dynamics of the company changed to where they no longer had financial reasons to work with others. Really, the deal was very important financially to a pre-expansion WWF, but not nearly as important to a post-expansion company. They worked with Giant Baba in 1990 on the famous Wrestling Summit Tokyo Dome show. But that partnership lasted one show because of cultural and ego differences that were painfully obvious. A different version of those same issues came up in 1998 when WWF officials sat down with Giant Baba to work with All Japan and that got nowhere especially when WWF officials were told to their face that their top stars weren’t worth the price WWF was offering them at within the Japanese market. However, when it came to booking, WWF only had control of three things for the 1990 Tokyo Dome show, and gave Baba control of everything else. WWF insisted on Hulk Hogan winning, and got to call the winner of Ultimate Warrior (WWE champion) vs. Ted DiBiase and Jake Roberts vs. Big Bossman, since those were WWF matches. They let Baba have Genichiro Tenryu over Randy Savage, the No. 3 star in their company, and WWF’s world tag team champions at the time Demolition, lost clean in a non-title match to Baba & Andre, which WWF allowed because Baba & Andre were both legends. After that blew up, WWF had a lucrative deal with the SWS promotion, that had huge money backing behind it. WWF let their talent job there and even agreed for Hogan to lose to Tenryu clean at the Tokyo Dome, but then Hogan got to Japan and refused to put Tenryu over. Also, while Bryan Danielson was absolutely part of the early talks, that hasn’t been the case of late as far as the major aspect, and one source said he hasn’t been a part of any recent talks. New Japan also would not agree to any deal unless they felt it was extremely beneficial to them, and keep in mind that WWE has regularly tried to talk with them in the past and it’s gotten nowhere and the real difference here is Nick Khan has never been involved in these talks in the past

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I hope you all don't mind but with it being Friday I figure why not have fun with this.   Oh, and @The Natural COME ON DOWN! /priceisright

Cheers, @NikoBaltimore. Those are the two. If pushed...I'm the best there is, I'm the best there was and the best there ever will be. To me, Bret was in the #1 and #2 best WWE Matches Ever.

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WrestleMania X. *****.

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13. *****.

Nobody does a better Sharpshooter than Bret. Love Bret's use of flash pins both working for him vs. Roddy Piper (WrestleMania VIII), Bam Bam Bigelow (King of the Ring 1993), Diesel (Survivor Series 1995), Steve Austin (Survivor Series 1996) and against vs. British Bulldog (SummerSlam 1992) and Owen Hart (WrestleMania X).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1