DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 5/28/2021

• TNT Championship: Miro (c) vs Dante Martin
  • Jade Cargill open challenge
  • Darby Allin vs Cezar Bononi
  • Scorpio Sky & Ethan Page vs Evil Uno & Stu Grayson
  • Adam Page vs Joey Janela
  • Eric Bischoff hosts a celebration of the Inner Circle
  • The one year anniversary of Hikaru Shida's reign as AEW Women's World Champion
  • Paul Wight hosts the weigh in for Cody Rhodes vs Anthony Ogogo

The best thing on the show was the random guy in the crowd wearing an untucked blue shirt who caught one of Sammy's cards, gave it to security, realised he could have kept it, and kept desperately trying to get another one.

Second-best thing was The Big Paul dressed up like Red Shoes Unno.

Third best was The Big Paul making fun of Ogogo for having so many people come out with him, then Cody coming out with like three or four times as many people (and I have to admit I was surprised that the crowd seemed to be solidly behind Cody today).

Also pretty great: A big crowd singing along to Judas and Chris Jericho's genuine smile making a welcome return. The heartfelt Inner Circle promos. The Sting's Army callback. Miro.

Edit: Also also pretty great: Janella's Randy Savage elbow drop. Hangm'n's mystery blade job. "Rod and Todd Flanders." "Out." No run-in or beat-down after the Cargill squash (a welcome change of pace).

Stu Grayson's springboard apron DDT!

Everything Mox & King have ever done together (except for the ending of the exploding ring match).

Furthermore: Was JR's excellent use of "knows no surcease" also a stealth Simpsons reference? 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Third best was The Big Paul making fun of Ogogo for having so many people come out with him, then Cody coming out with like three or four times as many people

I said in the discord as soon as Paul made that crack that I wanted Cody to come out with twenty guys. Was not disappointed. 

• Like 4

icVPdYSu?format=jpg&name=small

Hikaru Shida presented with the new AEW Women's World Championship on AEW Dynamite, the last before Double or Nothing 3. I like how it's bigger, has more gold to it and it's right that Shida is the first to wear it as she's the first to hold an AEW Championship for an entire year. Dr. Britt Baker will end the reign at Double or Nothing 3.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

icVPdYSu?format=jpg&name=small

Hikaru Shida presented with the new AEW Women's World Championship on AEW Dynamite, the last before Double or Nothing 3. I like how it's bigger, has more gold to it and it's right that Shida is the first to wear it as she's the first to hold an AEW Championship for an entire year. Dr. Britt Baker will end the reign at Double or Nothing 3.

And then Britt will carry the new bigger belt around, while Rebel carries the original small one for no readily apparent reason.

And here is Willie Urbina trying to get fired for being racist:

Edited by AxB

Haven't finished the show yet, but am pretty sure this exchange isn't going to be topped:
Excalibur: They say they are waxed, vaxed (vacced?!) and ready for hot boy summer!"
JR: And just what the hell does THAT mean?!

I think it might have been JR's funniest line delivery ever! Just an immediate WTF reaction, so good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

"knows no surcease"

Missed it but that's great because I heard Gordon Solie use "surcease" in that Johnny Valentine match DEAN posted in the Wrestling Machine thread. 

Gordi covered most of it. Poor Tony was not having a good night between just flat being told "Out." by PAC (which I've never seen anyone do) and fumbling with putting the belt on Shida to the point the ref had to step in. Best match of the night was Hangman/Janela, and not because of the blood* but because it was just really stiff and Janela looked great. His Macho Elbow was especially great, and they did a strike exchange that I actually bought due to the laying it in. Second best was probably the Dark Order/jerks** tag due to the bouncy stuff and the movez ending actually looking fly as hell. 

* How did that happen anyway? We guessed in the chat that it was an errant elbow. 

** I know it's Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page but I would just like to name them the Jerks. 

• Like 1

My favorite part was Tony having trouble putting the belt on Shida. Bryce offering to help. Schiavone telling him to fuck off basically and finishing the job and then Bryce stepping in and fixing Tony's work anyways. I laughed out loud.

Between that and Paul not knowing how to work a scale it just adds to the aura of AEW's trouble with props, etc. Haha

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Best match of the night was Hangman/Janela, and not because of the blood*

* How did that happen anyway? We guessed in the chat that it was an errant elbow. 

It's a mystery.  The forehead is a strange place to get cut if it wasn't a bladejob. I'm seeing on Twitter that Meltzer is saying Hangman doesn't even know how it happened.

• Like 1

Yeah forgot about Paul saying he couldn't afford a digital scale, which considering what his contract is probably running is hilarious. Personally, I have never understood how those things work so don't feel bad for him. It's a shame nobody got a shoe thrown at them during that whole deal though.

14 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

(and I have to admit I was surprised that the crowd seemed to be solidly behind Cody today).

The pandemic shows have made a lot of people believe that some acts won't be as over or at all when the crowds come back.

Dark Order got one of the bigger pops of the night, and Evil Uno got his own chant during the main event. They're over, but someone like @John from Cincinnati will still take issue with Hangman Page "playing grab ass on lawmowers" with them, even though both acts are solidly over. And let's face it, Hangman has always been kind of a (based) dork.

• Like 4

Yeah just because he drinks a lot doesn't mean he is some bad ass.  I mean he thinks he is a cowboy when he lives right near the border of North Carolina 

I really have to wonder who is telling Ogogo that what he is doing will make him massive heat.  I guess based on the crowd last night it is working but in 2021 someone telling us all of the awful things in our country really doesn't cut that deep anymore.  Maybe to an an older audience which AEW isn't that much right now.   Like he tweeted about visiting Stone Mountain which is kind of memorial for people who supported slavery in his words.   Like I guess they think we will be like  "yeah I know it sucks but this is America so it is great you foreigner" attitude.

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I really have to wonder who is telling Ogogo that what he is doing will make him massive heat.  I guess based on the crowd last night it is working but in 2021 someone telling us all of the awful things in our country really doesn't cut that deep anymore.  Maybe to an an older audience which AEW isn't that much right now.   Like he tweeted about visiting Stone Mountain which is kind of memorial for people who supported slavery in his words.   Like I guess they think we will be like  "yeah I know it sucks but this is America so it is great you foreigner" attitude.

Not sure his main taunt of "masturbatory hand gesture" is going to last much longer either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

And here is Willie Urbina trying to get fired for being racist:

It worked. Wouldn't say Abrahantes is completely innocent either.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-spanish-language-announcer-fired-after-mocking-asian-accent-342696

AEW Spanish language announcer Willie Urbina has been fired following his mocking of Hikaru Shida's accent during Friday's live Dynamite, caught on a live mic.

Dave Meltzer reported the release on Twitter. No other details are available at this time.

The audio could be heard during a commercial break on FITE.tv's broadcast for international viewers prior to the segment celebrating the AEW Women's champion's one-year reign as titleholder. 

Urbina, Alex Abrahantes, Thunder Rosa and Dasha Kuret's mics were left on during the break when Abrahantes instructed Urbina to "Do Shida" as in translate her promo. Urbina then twice did a stereotypical imitation of an Asian accent following by Rosa and Kuret jokingly telling Urbina (a former Spanish language announcer for TNA) to stop.

The clip gained steam overnight thanks to a tweeted clip of the audio directed at both AEW and Tony Khan.

As of now, neither AEW, the announce team or Shida has commented publicly about the incident. AEW's Double or Nothing Fan Fest begins at noontime Eastern Saturday, so there is a possibility of some kind of comment during the day.

Nothing in what you posted implies Abrahantes did anything bad, and everything I've read from Spanish speaking Redditors indicates that he was telling Urbina he crossed a line and to cut it out.