DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 5/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I think it was here that I read that Karrion Kross is an entrance and nothing more and honestly, that couldn't be closer to the truth.  I love the entrance, the whole presentation of it.  Then when he starts wrestling it just does.....nothing.

I've said that a few times here, but I'm fairly sure other people put it out there before i did.

7 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Is Kross NXT's Ultimate Warrior? 

I know what you're getting at, but Kross has a fraction of Warrior's charisma and is nowhere near as good a promo.

Raquel/Dakota vs. Ember/Shotzi was good, and I loved Raquel murdering Shotzi post match.

Fish/Dunne seemed solid enough.

Franky looked ok in her debut.

Mercedes had a nice squash. Curious to see where things go with the Tian Sha angle.

The Million Dollar faceoff was something. Did Grimes kind of turn face?

Glad to see Escobar aiming for the NA belt. That little dig at Canada amused me.

Hit Row wanting all the gold is nice. Wouldn't mind seeing Swerve aim for the NXT belt instead of the NA.

Balor/Kross annoyed me a bit with Kross's monster no sell moments which just aren't quite believable with him. That said, I thought it was better than their Takeover match and generally solid-good, probably Kross's best performance in NXT so far. I still would rather him not be NXT champ or even in NXT. He fits the main roster more.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

The Million Dollar faceoff was something. Did Grimes kind of turn face?

If they weren't trying to do that, they totally blew it. Grimes is too much fun for an unsympathetic face to work with and not make the face the bad guy.

NXT is full of midcarders and tag teams I dig.  And their women's division is consistently great.  So I really don't understand why I find the top of the card so dull.  

I don't even dislike Cole, really.  He wouldn't be my choice to take the belt back, but I'd prefer him to Cross, O'Reilly, Ciampa, any of the Brits, etc.  I wish Balor was on the show more.  He seems to be an occasional attraction more than a regular. 

I'd be all in for Bronson Reed squashing Cross with a top-rope splash.  I'm really hoping they elevate him and Escobar.

What happened to Roderick Strong?  Last time I saw him, he was doing a segment with Regal where he was (kayfabe?) quitting NXT.  Has he been on WWE tv since?  I feel like I must have missed something.

Count me in on the band wagon, Killer Kross does nothing for me. Great entrance & presentation. Then the bell rings and it's the dullest work I can ever remember seeing. He's like a cooler Nathan Jones or Luther Reigns. Just big and boring and generic work in the ring. While Baron Corbin is the gold standard for a boring character, Corbin could at least bring it in the ring (in NXT). Kross is like 3 or 4 levels below Corbin, work wise.

NXT has an interesting problem once they return to the road. They have over acts and fun characters in the Women's division and the lower card. But none of their main event guys have much steam. Watching last night I was wondering what about this roster would draw? Like the women, The Way, Hit Row, & Cameron Grimes are the acts clicking with me the most. Finn has been kind of boring. Kross is paint drying boring. Even Cole & O'Riley have been over exposed and don't have much steam. I just don't see much life at the top of the card.

Am I missing something or do other people feel this way too?

I don't know if it's just me or not but I find Shotzi's character to be terribly inauthentic and too "try hard". The cringe worthy howling, the tank riding, etc just scream "look at me! I'm so different! Look! For real, I am!" I enjoy her in-ring work but her gimmick just doesn't do it for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I don't know if it's just me or not but I find Shotzi's character to be terribly inauthentic and too "try hard". The cringe worthy howling, the tank riding, etc just scream "look at me! I'm so different! Look! For real, I am!" I enjoy her in-ring work but her gimmick just doesn't do it for me.

Definitely not just you. Other woman have done the punk rock gimmick much more naturally IMO, Christina Von Erie, Ruby Riot, even AJ Lee to an extent, but everything Shotzi does seems so forced.

Like, what the fuck does “welcome to the ball pit” even mean?

Edited by MKERyan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

Definitely not just you. Other woman have done the punk rock gimmick much more naturally IMO, Christina Von Erie, Ruby Riot, even AJ Lee to an extent, but everything Shotzi does seems so forced.

She's like how 1994-95 DDP was in my opinion. He'd come to the ring with a million "gimmicks". He had a cigar, a fancy coat, a bodyguard, a hot valet who held up 10 signs, chewing gum, loud sunglasses, etc but he didn't really have a character per se. Shotzi has a lot of accoutrements but not a really well defined character. I think they really need to give her a good storyline other than "someone stole my tank" to sink her teeth into so that she can develop that aspect of her game. Sorta like how DDP dropped a lot of the excess crap and developed his character when they started the nWo recruitment/eventual turn down angle with him.

• Thanks 1

Kross is one of the most beige wrestlers out there with just a bland look and no personality other just being angry man. What exacerbates this is him being paired with one of the most stunning women in wrestling in Scarlett, it just makes the fact that he's a walking tub of plain yogurt more obvious.

Plus his name is kinda dumb if you think about it. I know it's spelled differently but it's clearly a play on "carrion" which is a dead animal that other animals eat. Shouldn't he be turning people into dead meat instead of calling himself that? I know they couldn't use the "Killer" moniker he had before but surely they could've come up with something better.

It's nothing to do with dead animals. He's actually a big fan of Carry On films. Sid James and that.

(This is a very dated, very British reference).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MKERyan said:

I think she's a natural riot grrl type. Her insane bumps show her to be truly wild.

she probably used to whoop ass in, you know.. the ball pit...

I think the Ball Pit thing is her trying to PG her indie gimmick (The Ballzy Badass) where she would pretend she had giant metaphorical testicles.