DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Cirque de Soliel Sommelier - 5/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Asuka/Charlotte was given a lot of time.  That was good.  Asuka sells the leg well.

That main event was.... uh... stupid?

Kofi/Drew was long and good but ended badly. I just hope Drew loses the rematch next week as I want him as far from Lashley and the WWE Title as possible right now.

Nice to see Nikki Cross return to Raw with a win.

Charlotte/Asuka was pretty darn good once again. Kind of like that neither has a strong win over the other in their recent matches.

I have no idea why the main event was the main event. Has this feud actually been doing ok ratings wise? The match was just kind of there until the dumb shit with Reginald. Hopefully Shayna murders Reginald next week and returns to being a singles wrestler.

kofi beats the champ last week doesn't receive a title match.  instead Drew gets another shot at reclaiming the #1 contender spot.  

asuka beats the #1 contender last week doesn't receive a title match.  instead Charlotte gets another match with her and then receives a title match after.  

Dumb...  it's all dumb... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

kofi beats the champ last week doesn't receive a title match.  instead Drew gets another shot at reclaiming the #1 contender spot.  

asuka beats the #1 contender last week doesn't receive a title match.  instead Charlotte gets another match with her and then receives a title match after.  

Dumb...  it's all dumb... 

Both matches had somewhat contested results, and Asuka has already been beaten by the champ multiple times recently. She realistically shouldn't even be involved in title talk at this point. 

That said I don't disagree about it being kind of dumb still.

I'm amused that Meltzer (and fans) have shifted from griping about the lack of long matches to griping about long matches and concluding WWE is running long matches to fill as much time as possible because they have no other ideas.  Although that's probably the right conclusion to draw.  Last night's show was basically last week's show with the results flipped (50/50 booking).

I was pleasantly surprised that the women's tag match didn't end with Alexa Bliss nonsense.

Riddle's outside-in suplex from the second rope was impressive, although it certainly looked like Xavier landed on his head.

I feel like, after dragging this out another week, Kofi's got to be Lashley's opponent for the PPV.  

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

I was pleasantly surprised that the women's tag match didn't end with Alexa Bliss nonsense.

She wasn't at the show as her pig died.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'm amused that Meltzer (and fans) have shifted from griping about the lack of long matches to griping about long matches and concluding WWE is running long matches to fill as much time as possible because they have no other ideas.  Although that's probably the right conclusion to draw.  Last night's show was basically last week's show with the results flipped (50/50 booking).

To be fair - Dave is more against the nature of having really long matches with shit finishes that don't advance the story.

It was interesting how he was describing it in that Vince (or whoever) have a handful of people to trust to have long matches (Drew, Kofi, Charlotte, Asuka, et al) and that is why everything else is like 3 minutes

I was starting to think I'd get tired of Charlotte/Asuka against each other, but then they had this match and I thought it was really great. Still my favorite opponents pairing in the company probably. Charlotte busting out Andrade moves was a nice touch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I think my issue with Charlotte/Asuka matches is that one has earned her wins and the other gets hers handed to them. But hey, who wins more? 

It's a fake sport with scripted outcomes.  No one earns their wins.  

Personally, I find Charlotte consistently entertaining.  WWE has only had a few people in their system over the past 20 years or so that I'd put at her level.

• Like 2

I'd just like to point out that AEW did 1.2 million recently. Yes, they've "corrected" back down, but I'm pretty sure the gap is still way smaller than anyone expected it to be two years ago.