DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Unvaccinated NBA players will have lockers as far away as possible from their vaccinated teammates and will have to eat, fly and ride buses in different sections as part of the league's anticipated COVID-19 health and safety protocols. The protocols were released to teams Thursday in a memo obtained by ESPN.

The rules are not final and subject to ongoing talks with the National Basketball Players Association, but the guidelines make it clear that vaccinated and unvaccinated players will have very different off-court experiences during the upcoming season.

Unvaccinated players will have to undergo testing on game days and practice days and, depending on team schedules, could have to test twice on some game days. Vaccinated players will not undergo daily testing and will only be tested if they have symptoms themselves or are exposed to someone confirmed as COVID-19 positive.

If an unvaccinated player is deemed a close contact to someone who has tested positive, he will have to enter a mandatory seven-day quarantine. Vaccinated players are not currently anticipated to face quarantine if they are a close contact but don't test positive.

At team meals, the memo calls for unvaccinated players to not sit next to vaccinated teammates and to be at least six feet away from others. The same rules apply for team meetings.

On flights, the memo says unvaccinated players may be required to be in a section of the plane reserved for team staffers, which could mean less-roomy seating. On buses, unvaccinated players would have to sit away from other players or in a separate bus from vaccinated players.

The NBA informed teams last week that all coaches and staff members, in addition to game night staff that work within 15 feet of players or referees, must be fully vaccinated. Also last week, the NBA and the referee's union announced an agreement for all referees to be vaccinated.

Thursday's memo also said the league hopes to secure an agreement with the union that would call for all players to be tested for COVID-19 antibodies as part of the preseason physicals.

Unvaccinated players who have documented recovery from COVID-19 within the previous six months may have some of the protocols relaxed, pending final approval.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32133277/nba-memo-proposes-strict-covid-19-protocols-unvaccinated-players

The Brooklyn Nets are trading center DeAndre Jordan, four second-round picks and $5.78 million to the Detroit Pistons for Jahlil Okafor and Sekou Doumbouya, sources told ESPN on Friday.

The Pistons plan to work on a buyout for Jordan, sources said. An All-Star in 2017, Jordan has two years and $20 million left on the four-year, $40 million contract he signed in June 2019.

If Jordan reaches free agency, the Los Angeles Lakers will be a serious contender to sign him, sources said.

The trade allows the Nets to save $47 million in salary and luxury tax. They will send the Pistons their 2022 and 2027 second-round picks along with a 2024 second-rounder via the Washington Wizards and a 2025 second-rounder via the Golden State Warriors, sources said.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Pistons Deandre Jordan trade

Help me out here - what do the Pistons get out of this deal?  2nd round picks aren't valuable.  

Edited by Tabe

Doumbouya hasn't shown much so far, but he's still only 20, has a good blend of size and decent athleticism, and I've seen too many young guys the Pistons have up on early in their careers blossom into solid players or better to feel good about this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Doumbouya hasn't shown much so far, but he's still only 20, has a good blend of size and decent athleticism, and I've seen too many young guys the Pistons have up on early in their careers blossom into solid players or better to feel good about this.

Same here. Thing is, it might be the best thing for Sekou. His time here has basically been kneecapped by a complete front office overhaul and Covid. He's buried on the depth chart. A full G League season would've been great for him.

Im guessing the open roster spot is gonna go to either Luka Garza or Jamorko Pickett. 

15 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Same here. Thing is, it might be the best thing for Sekou. His time here has basically been kneecapped by a complete front office overhaul and Covid. He's buried on the depth chart. A full G League season would've been great for him.

Im guessing the open roster spot is gonna go to either Luka Garza or Jamorko Pickett. 

Probably true, but I'm permanently scarred by Spencer Dinwiddie and especially Khris Middleton.

Conversely, the Mexico City D-League team that debuts this season will be playing all their games in the US due to travel restrictions.

And it looks like John Wall is on his way out of Houston

I'm intensely curious to see what they can get for him.

I'm guessing this is one of those parody accounts that just put out rumors like they're jokes, but just sound stupid.

Detroit, who has been screaming up and down that this is now Cade Cunningham's show to run.

Miami, who just signed a max deal for Kyle Lowry.

And the Clippers... well, I'm just going out on a limb and saying 2021 John Wall < 2021 Eric Bledsoe.  

---

Now, if he's getting bought out and signs a MLE or vet-minimum... sure.  

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm guessing this is one of those parody accounts that just put out rumors like they're jokes, but just sound stupid.

Detroit, who has been screaming up and down that this is now Cade Cunningham's show to run.

Miami, who just signed a max deal for Kyle Lowry.

And the Clippers... well, I'm just going out on a limb and saying 2021 John Wall < 2021 Eric Bledsoe.  

---

Now, if he's getting bought out and signs a MLE or vet-minimum... sure.  

I could see the Pistons trying to extract a few draft picks to take him off their hands maybe?

I know that arena isn't this, but it would be amazing if someone squared the circle and made an open air NBA arena (retractable roof of course).  

Anyway, the Knicks just announced everyone over 12 needs to show proof of vaccination to see them play.  If you're 11 or younger, you have to have a negative test. 

The "Simmons won't report to camp" was more very widely rumored and not completely cemented as fact. 

But f that guy. What a coward. 

As a Philly sports fan -- Sixers fans are a weird lot. Once The Process started, a large section of the fanbase got on board with that and hijacked how you could root for the team. Sam Hinkie could do no wrong, and tanking to get as many draft picks as possible was apparently the only way to build a basketball team. Any criticisms like "trading 23-year-old JRue Holiday who was still on a really good contract for what became Nerlens Noel and Dario Saric" were immediately dismissed. As was "If the draft is such a wildcard, why are you insisting on trying to build a team through the draft?" And "If the draft is such a wildcard, why do some teams pretty consistently do okay with drafting players?" And "Could we get one veteran in here to show these guys how to act like professionals? Or maybe a point guard?"

Of course, we were supposed to be wowed at the amazing pickups of Dario Saric or Robert Covington and to see the all-world defensive potential of Nerlens Noel and etc. when all of those guys maxed out at "oh, okay, whatever" types. 

They got very lucky with Embiid in both falling to him at number three (they would have taken Wiggins at #1 if they landed it) and for him to somehow become an amazing player despite the injuries. And, yes, I know that Hinkie is long gone but The Process legacy still lives long with the franchise and especially a large part of the fanbase. But all of the non-Embiid picks ended up as either crap or Ben Simmons. And Ben Simmons came on board a team that let the lunatics run the asylum, without any sort of accountability, with an ownership/leadership group in constant disarray.

Simmons was coddled and entitled long before he became a NBA player. But that continued once he got here and he never felt any pressure at all to actually improve his game, and because of that he flaked the f out when he had to show improvements to his game. 

I also love the rumored "demands" that Rich Paul and Ben are placing on where they want him to get traded to. Aside from not having any leverage, that sort of player empowerment power move should be reserved for actual players and not for dudes who just happen to share an agent with LeBron. 

What a mess.

• Like 1