DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Blazers really remind me of the Raptors before the the Kawhi trade. Will they find their Nick Nurse to replace their Dwayne Casey (Stotts)? Will they trade their Derozan (CJ) to get their Kawhi? Not an identical scenario, but I see the parallels. 

Depending on how Game 7 goes, they might have a shot at literally getting Kawhi. 

• Like 1

Jason Kidd has withdrawn from the Trail Blazers search saying he was uncomfortable with the idea of pursuing the opening after Dame publicly called for him to be hired

The public nature of Lillard's endorsement -- telling Yahoo Sports that "Jason Kidd is the guy I want" -- left Kidd feeling he would put both Lillard and Portland's process in an awkward circumstance should he pursue the opening.

Tom Thibodeau is your 2021 NBA Coach of the Year.

Let's just start the clock on his firing after the 2024 season and the Knicks' 4th straight first round playoff exit. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tom Thibodeau is your 2021 NBA Coach of the Year.

Let's just start the clock on his firing after the 2024 season and the Knicks' 4th straight first round playoff exit. 

After the last 20 years, making the playoffs four straight years would probably get his name put up in the rafters

• Haha 1

Per Wojo

The NBA's competition committee met Monday to further explore rule changes to restrict the unnatural motions surrounding jump shots that players are using to draw fouls, sources told ESPN.

The league wants to limit the ability of players -- including crafty stars like James Harden, Luka Doncic and Trae Young -- to lean backward and sideways, for example, to initiate contact and get to the free throw line.

The NBA has shared a video compilation of player examples with the 30 teams that outlines a number of motions deemed unnatural that were used to draw fouls. The NBA and the competition committee will drill down on specific plays with the league's GMs next week to target examples that will be recommended for owners to vote to eliminate next season, sources said.

There's a growing belief that many of these maneuvers are contributing to a game where the advantage is slanting too much toward the offense. While the concentration of these issues is often focused on star players getting much more usage and exposure with the ball, the league sees this as a universal problem throughout lineups and rosters -- not only as an issue for star players.

The NBA and the competition committee -- comprising a select group of owners, general managers, coaches, players and referees -- largely believe there's a framework of rules that allows offensive players too much free time to initiate contact in what are deemed unnatural and awkward ways.

There's a plan for the competition committee to bring recommendations to the board of governors for a vote this summer, implementing rule changes ahead of Las Vegas Summer League in August and the start of the 2021-22 season, sources said. The league office is hopeful that referees can start implementing changes in how they officiate during summer league games, sources said.

• Like 4

The Athletic story on Luka and the Mavs front office is a hell of a ride.

Turns out there are downsides to giving a degenerate fucking gambler with no basketball experience carte blanche to run your front office.  Whomst could have predicted?

• Like 2

The Wiz have one season to convince Beal to stay so it's probably in their best interests to take a big swing with the hire, but like Rippa said, Teddy doesn't like to pay his coaches.

One of the few non-basketball names up in the roster of the American Airlines Arena is Ron Culp, the head trainer for the Miami Heat for 20+ years.  

He passed away today at the age of 75.  

EDIT -- I'll just note that I literally, just now, found out that the arena has changed it's name to FTX Arena.  FTX is a cryptocurrency exchange.  This will not look at all ridiculous in 24 months or so. 

• Sad 1

Bob is apparently still in. They walked back that report. I was hoping it was true though.

Cuban chose Crypto Bob over Donnie. Unbelievable. The team needed a front office shakeup, but it won't happen with this guy there.

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Guess I'll just give my condolences now for when Cuban hires one of the sharks to be the GM.

I fully support Kevin O'Leary being named GM if it keeps him from coming back to Canada

• Like 1

I know the ridiculousness of my argument here, but...

I still remember him looking very upset that New Orleans won the draft lottery over the Knicks. 

And well, the Knicks did just make the playoffs...

And you know, there are worse places to  be than the #1 media market in the US...

On 6/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, RandomAct said:

Bob is apparently still in. They walked back that report. I was hoping it was true though.

Cuban chose Crypto Bob over Donnie. Unbelievable. The team needed a front office shakeup, but it won't happen with this guy there.

Cuban always does these type of dumb things. I'm still salty he didn't bring everyone back and even give us a chance to repeat with the same team that beat the Heatles.