DVDVR Message Board

Reasons why certain guys never got a run in WWE/TNA?

I vaguely remember that in 99 maybe, there was a big thing about Sabu about to come to WCW but Heyman blocked it.

That's weird, since his '95 run was such a flop.

A flop? He was super over in every appearance. 

Sure.  All three of them.

Whatever happend to Billy Travis? He was another guy I read about in the Apter mags a lot and thought would make an appearance in the Big Two.

The guy was a screwup behind the scenes, drinking heavily and popping pills since pretty much the day he debuted in Memphis.  He died of a heart attack related to all the drugs he took back in 2002.

His size was also an issue.

I vaguely remember that in 99 maybe, there was a big thing about Sabu about to come to WCW but Heyman blocked it.

That's weird, since his '95 run was such a flop.

A flop? He was super over in every appearance. 

Sure.  All three of them.

So not a flop then. 

The onset of the internet and increase of exposure for ECW made Sabu a bigger name in 99/00 than he was in 95. Also, there was more of a war in snatching guys up at that point and far less to be taken. Sabu was very much a "Best of the rest" at that point. I'll say that when I went to a nitro in 98, and they were doing the laugh to hype up chucky in a few weeks, the rumor was that it was for Taz.

I'd say getting fired after three matches hardly qualifies as a success in anyone's book.

Upon further reading, it turns out Sabu had a whopping seven matches in WCW.  No matter.  Still a flop.

He wasn't fired, he quit. So you're wrong again. He was also the most over guy on every Nitro he worked. 

He considered it in 02/03 and was put off by how the other WCW guys were treated. In particular a promo Rock cut on Booker T about not knowing who he was. Then there was 2011 and the rumors about him going to face Undertaker at Mania. They at least had discussions about it. 

You'd have to figure he made a shit-ton of money and wasn't stupid with it, so didn't need to work there.

Sting apparently made a ton of money in real estate. I've heard he basically has "fuck you" amounts of money. I can't remember who it was but TNA brought in someone a while back that only knew Sting from the real estate biz. He was walking around backstage and ran into Sting and said, "holy shit, Real Estate Steve, what're you doing here?" They literally had no clue the guy ever wrestled.

Did a little google fu and found the story. It was Frank Trigg

Posted by Marc Middleton in TNA News
Wednesday, September 24th, 2008

- Here’s a funny story from a recent TNA iMPACT taping in Florida…

Frank Trigg was backstage and recognized a guy he knew from the gym in Southern California who had the nickname “Real Estate Steve” because he owned a lot of property in the area. Trigg had no idea why he would be backstage until he saw him talking to Kurt Angle and figured Angle had flown him in to buy a house in Southern California. The next thing he saw was “Real Estate Steve” walking around backstage with his face painted.

“Real Estate Steve” is none other than Steven “Sting” Borden.

• Like 1

The WWE needs to sign him when his TNA contract runs out in a couple of months and introduce him as the guy who screwed Big Show out of his house. Forget Sting vs Taker, I want Real Estate Steve vs Big Show at Mania.

Nah, I think the real money is in a program with Citizen Kane, either as a tag team or as opponents, I don't care.

• Like 1

The WWE needs to sign him when his TNA contract runs out in a couple of months and introduce him as the guy who screwed Big Show out of his house. Forget Sting vs Taker, I want Real Estate Steve vs Big Show at Mania.

Shut up and take my money.

Now I can't stop singing "Real Estate Steve" to the tune of the "Man Called Sting" theme.

He does this, he does thatHe's big as bull, & quick as a catHe look fines, he looks coolHis own man, & he's nobody's foolDon't double cross him, or get in his wayCause if you do, you're gonna have to payTo Real Estate SteveReal Estate SteveHe's Real Estate SteveReal Estate Steve

• Like 2

Why didn't Steve Bradley make it big?  I remember him being touted as the next big thing, especially in the Apter mags, back in the late 90s.  He actually worked a dark match at the first wrestling show I ever went to (Raw in late 99) and he seemed like he had a ton of potential as he was decently sized and had a lot of speed and agility.  Then he kind of disappeared and died a couple years back.