DVDVR Message Board

[DVDVRMC] VERSION 2.0 - ORDER FOR NEXT GO AROUND

RIPPA

Okay - time to fire this back up.

We are starting from scratch so everything is on the table.

If you just want to comment on movies that is fine.

We will officially start in January. I put 3 movies up to start getting the rust out. I might do one or two more just to hold us over.

Can I have some more information about what's going on? :) By that I mean the expectations of me if I commit.

Everyone individually picks a movie they want the others to watch. Rippa assigns a schedule in which discussion for each movie opens up. So each week a new thread is opened for each movie. Ideally you will have watched the movie before the thread opens so there can be discussion. This does not always work out. 

I'm debating joining and just picking the movies that got one reply last time.

• Like 1

Can I have some more information about what's going on? :) By that I mean the expectations of me if I commit.

Everyone individually picks a movie they want the others to watch. Rippa assigns a schedule in which discussion for each movie opens up. So each week a new thread is opened for each movie. Ideally you will have watched the movie before the thread opens so there can be discussion. This does not always work out. 

I like the idea in theory but it sounds more like it'll just be people trying to get everyone else to watch one of their favorite movies while ignoring the suggestions of any Indie movies & what have you, going by your remark about one reply threads.

I like the idea in theory but it sounds more like it'll just be people trying to get everyone else to watch one of their favorite movies while ignoring the suggestions of any Indie movies & what have you, going by your remark about one reply threads.

The plus is that I discovered a lot of movies I wouldn't have. For example, someone picked After The Thin Man. I'd never seen the Thin Man, so I watched that AND the sequel. Now I own the whole set. And the Friends of Eddie Coyle is another that rocked my socks. The downside is when participation slips it gets frustrating. 

If you're on the fence about doing it, then you could sit out the first round, comment on the movies that are picked(you don't have to be a member to comment and the more comments the better.) and see if it looks like something you could keep up with. And I wouldn't say the tastes skew away from foreign/indie/obscure stuff. There's a few people out there who dig some interesting movies, as illustrated in some of the Best of Decade Polls. Sure someone will pick your Shawshanks and your Goodfellas. But some one picked The Wizard of Speed and Time and that shit was wacky and it got some play if I remember correctly.

Okay this who I have so far

Rippa

Rev

JR Goldman

Lacelle

Niners

Control

Fowler

cubbymark

Execproducer

L_W_P

I was unclear if the following people are joining

odessa

Skelemania

jaedmc

I will still accept people for at least this week (especially since there are some regulars I am waiting to see if they return)

Some other answers

- Yes, you can pick something that was picked the last time

- You are better served to pick something that at a minimum is available on DVD. We had some picks in the past that were only available via "alternative" means and that often hurt their participation numbers.

Eh, even if participation hasn't been what it could be, I'm still happy to have introduced people to O LUCKY MAN, HARAKIRI, ARMY OF SHADOWS, McCABE & MRS MILLER, and whatever the hell else I've picked in the past. Imma try to be a better participant this round

Oh shit dude, McCabe and Mrs Miller was so damn good. And I don't know if I watched it because of you, but Army of Shadows, along with Le Samourai got me hooked on Melville. You gotta be in.

Okay - last call. This is what I am going to work with unless I hear otherwise

Rippa
Rev
JR Goldman
Lacelle
Niners
Control
Fowler
cubbymark
Execproducer
L_W_P
odessa
jaedmc
Jingus

I am still unclear if Skelemania wants a pick this go around or not.

Anyway - I will post the dates and order by the end of the week. Meanwhile - there are three movies right there for folks to blabber about.