DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

5 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I imagine that if they started to focus-group everything and LCD their "product" and try to please everyone it would kill what makes AEW great and I would completely lose interest (like I have with WWE).

There's a wide, WIDE gap between focus groups and simply dumping Peter Avalon to hire Andrade.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Shitposting aside, do people really think Cody isn't going to take this opportunity to be written off TV? I mean, it's not like he's been around a ton lately anyway, and it builds up Ogogo, and leaves open the possibility in the future for Cody to return to get his win back or whatever. I know we all like to shit on Cody, and I did it for that fucking stupid pro-USA promo, but I see his match at Double or Nothing opening the show (because it's Cody, and he'll be the first one out for sure) and it also not lasting very long to put over the fact that Ogogo is a fucking beast and they're going to push him. I'm not going to compare him to Brodie Lee, because that's not fair to Ogogo, but I see this match playing out a lot like Brodie/Cody the first time around. Just a squash to put over how dangerous the bigger guy is.

Don't think it will be a squash, I do think Cody writes himself out, but it will be interference.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

There's a wide, WIDE gap between focus groups and simply dumping Peter Avalon to hire Andrade.

Given that AEW is spending good money to bring people like Christian Cage and Paul Wight, along with licensing deals for the real music for Jungle Boy, Orange Cassisy, and now Moxley, I somehow don't think that Peter Avalaon's contract (likely among the smallest of the regular roster) or place on the roster is stopping AEW from signing Andrade.

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Given that AEW is spending good money to bring people like Christian Cage and Paul Wight, along with licensing deals for the real music for Jungle Boy, Orange Cassisy, and now Moxley, I somehow don't think that Peter Avalaon's contract (likely among the smallest of the regular roster) or place on the roster is stopping AEW from signing Andrade.

I don't either, but it seems like everyone insists AEW can't sign Andrade, Joe, etc., because the roster is too "bloated." So the solution then is either to decide it doesn't fucking matter if the roster is bloated or not, or for AEW to cut enough so those people decide the bloat has reached an acceptable level. The solution should NOT be to ignore Andrade, Joe, etc.

20 hours ago, Infinit said:

I'm not that mad about Cody's promo. Being a tone deaf American who thinks he's a babyface is art imitating life.

But you don't think he's trying to do that, right?  I heard similar stuff during his TNT champion run, that he's really a heel who thinks he's right, just wait, it'll play out, Cody's doing some awesome meta heel work and it's going to be so cool when he finally turns, etc.  Instead of doing our own interpretations and writing our own stories, can't we just admit that he's kind of a dumdum instead of thinking he's doing some kind of booking 4D chess? 

20 hours ago, Jiji said:

Exact same vibes. 

Same thought here!  Many many people are saying it's the smartest, most beautiful promo ever.  The best people.  Bigly promo.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

But you don't think he's trying to do that, right?  I heard similar stuff during his TNT champion run, that he's really a heel who thinks he's right, just wait, it'll play out, Cody's doing some awesome meta heel work and it's going to be so cool when he finally turns, etc.  Instead of doing our own interpretations and writing our own stories, can't we just admit that he's kind of a dumdum instead of thinking he's doing some kind of booking 4D chess? 

I totally get that he's not very self aware. But long term, I think it has the potential to go somewhere if done right. Especially if they start touring internationally. Kind of like an anti-1997 Bret Hart? Maybe I'm just viewing this through rose coloured glasses lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't either, but it seems like everyone insists AEW can't sign Andrade, Joe, etc., because the roster is too "bloated." So the solution then is either to decide it doesn't fucking matter if the roster is bloated or not, or for AEW to cut enough so those people decide the bloat has reached an acceptable level. The solution should NOT be to ignore Andrade, Joe, etc.

I'm not saying you are saying this but I'm using your comment to jump out on.

Releasing your lower card talent to make room for more upper card talent is a mistake. It ignores the ideas of roles in the promotion. Remember you not only need roster room but you need someone to lose to that talent. Otherwise you have systemic win trading which puts everyone on the same narrative plain and has historically been a storytelling failure.

• Like 3

Do the lower card talent need to be under contract, or can they work per appearance deals?

But like I said, I don't personally think the size of the roster needs to be restricted. Sign 'em all and let Khan sort 'em out, if that's what it takes to not whiff on major talent. That is not the argument of most of the "don't cut lower card talent" folks, though.

• Like 1

Your key restriction is not money but time. Putting Peter Avalon on a per appearance deal doesn’t make much a difference because you put him on television for a much different reason than you would a Samoa Joe. Avalon’s role is to be annoying enough that no one wants to see him win and they are happy to see him lose all the time. This allows your other talent to beat him to death in order to start their pushes or to demonstrate how ready they are for their real challenge. Avalon and Joe would use their television time very differently obviously. The important thing to remember is that your low card people serve a different valuable purpose than someone like Joe does. It’s a mistake to hire everyone at the same level (which in AEW seems to be the upper midcard) especially if you don’t have something for them to do immediately.

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The less said about how much they tripped over their own dicks with how they’ve used Miro until recently, the better. 

Semi-nonsense. Miro is the best guy in the game when it comes to making his midcard holding patterns entertaining and keeping his credibility. Not saying that the gamer gimmick + Kip were necessarily good calls, but few active wrestlers, if any, were going to whip up such nice Chicken Salad (tm). Dude adds curry, walnuts, celery, maybe apples. Uses the good mayo. He was always going to emerge as a main player.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Semi-nonsense. Miro is the best guy in the game when it comes to making his midcard holding patterns entertaining and keeping his credibility. Not saying that the gamer gimmick + Kip were necessarily good calls, but few active wrestlers, if any, were going to whip up such nice Chicken Salad (tm). Dude adds curry, walnuts, celery, maybe apples. Uses the good mayo. He was always going to emerge as a main player.

Seriously. It took exactly one (1) Kip Sabian beat-down for Miro to heat all the way back up to 100 percent.

I can't imagine that anyone, watching Miro take Darby apart, was feeling like Miro had lost any credibility or momentum after running a mid-card angle with his real-life friend. And that angle had a damned entertaining pay-off, to boot. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I don’t care how semi-teflon anyone is, it’s negligence to let anyone worth a shit splash around in an ocean of stupid. Miro’s good, but why take a chance that the stupid won’t sink him? 

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Your key restriction is not money but time. Putting Peter Avalon on a per appearance deal doesn’t make much a difference because you put him on television for a much different reason than you would a Samoa Joe. Avalon’s role is to be annoying enough that no one wants to see him win and they are happy to see him lose all the time. This allows your other talent to beat him to death in order to start their pushes or to demonstrate how ready they are for their real challenge. Avalon and Joe would use their television time very differently obviously. The important thing to remember is that your low card people serve a different valuable purpose than someone like Joe does. It’s a mistake to hire everyone at the same level (which in AEW seems to be the upper midcard) especially if you don’t have something for them to do immediately.

The big issue is bottlenecking. People want to see Miro, MJF, Wardlow, The Acclaimed, Hangman Page, Hobbs, Darby, Jungle Boy, FTR, Silver, Thunder Rosa, Jace Cargill, Britt Baker ect pushed plus you are also going to have the EVPs in prominent positions. You only have so much TV time and so many belts. you just can't push everybody unless you start having more TV shows like WCW with a bunch of syndicated stuff. You start talking about singing people and it becomes and stick them where?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Dude adds curry, walnuts, celery, maybe apples. Uses the good mayo.

Just want to say I dig that recipe  I'll have to give that a go next time I go shopping.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just want to say I dig that recipe  I'll have to give that a go next time I go shopping.

Yeah, just don't forget what it originally is that Miro regularly turns into this wonderful chicken salad! If you're not a wiz at it, like Miro, there still might be a bit of an aftertaste!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I can't imagine that anyone, watching Miro take Darby apart, was feeling like Miro had lost any credibility or momentum after running a mid-card angle with his real-life friend.

Amazingly and yet totally not, in Cornette's "review" of the match, he said it's too late and no one one can ever take Miro seriously again because of the video game stuff. And it's like, motherfucker, did you watch the same thing I did? My jaded-ass smark heart was still pounding 10 minutes after The Accountant (I assume) had started.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Amazingly and yet totally not, in Cornette's "review" of the match, he said it's too late and no one one can ever take Miro seriously again because of the video game stuff. And it's like, motherfucker, did you watch the same thing I did? My jaded-ass smark heart was still pounding 10 minutes after The Accountant (I assume) had started.

I almost think, in a weird way, that Miro floundering a bit (IMO) when he first came in has made his switch to monster even more satisfying.  I guess it was like a delayed gratification thing for me.

• Like 4