DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

Disappointed none of the heels trolled Tony about Fulham with a Burnley shirt. Missed opportunity there.

Two, Mid South Tony seems to be blowing all the Fulham money on AEW licensing music instead of their transfer budget. Now he gets Wild Thing for Moxley. With the Fulham parachute payment money, is he going to get Hanson’s MMBop for the Young Bucks?

Cody can go away and never come back.

Chris Jericho is turning into Chris Davis of the Orioles before our own eyes.

Edited by cubbymark
  • Haha 1

Enjoyed all of the main matches, especially the three title matches. Pac-Orange was okay before the legit Orange injury, and agree that this is a rare case where a triple threat title match helps all parties. It still feels like the #3/#4 match on the card behind the women's and tag title matches and possibly Stadium Stampede 2, but it's fine for this part of the Omega reign/championship arc (in a perfect world, this would have been a great time for New Japan crossover match, but unfortunately that will  have to be at least a few months down the road). Bucks are awesome as heels, and while they can work any style during the matches themselves, they definitely work better as heel characters. I love Moxley using Wild Thing as his new entrance theme (always have a soft spot for that song from Major League/Rick Vaughn). And the main even was definitely one of those cliched both guys coming out better matches (Miro cemented a top of the card, title winning badass, and Darby as a top flight face and future AEW World Champion).

I will side with HarryArchieGus in kind of enjoying Cody's promo, while fully admitting it was hokey and over the top (and definitely better for say an opening match on the PPV, and not one of the main attractions). I'll agree that Cody has lost a step or two from his awesome first year-plus in AEW, and some time off when his baby is born will help, but still think it would be foolhardy to wish to jettison him from AEW. Also, while I'm with a lot of you guys politically, I think a lot of people need to chill a bit (especially with a wrestling show). I like how AEW has a lot of disparate parts of the show, and while it could be more challenging to get everything to mesh together in an A+ show (like say Revlution 2020), it also keeps me extremely interested in every show knowing that at one or two things will pop.

• Like 1

As a dirty filthy commie leftist, I especially hated Cody’s promo. And I’m only at the very beginning of it, talking about England dream or whatever. Jesus fucking christ.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

As a dirty filthy commie leftist, I especially hated Cody’s promo. And I’m only at the very beginning of it, talking about England dream or whatever. Jesus fucking christ.

It’s good that you’re spreading it out over multiple sittings. Don’t put yourself through too much at once. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Oh, I forgot to comment on the rankings. How the hell is the jobberrific team of Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr the top contender for the belts? Have they ever won a match on Dynamite? In fact, they ate the fall in the 4-way match last week. Hangman drops a match to B. Cage and he falls below Pac and Orange Cassidy, but these two can take a fall to the vanquished SCU, win a match on Dark or some shit then leap Jurassic Express, FTR, Acclaimed, Bear Country, etc? How does this make any sense? Don't you get more mileage out of all your characters if the heel Bucks disingenuously act as "fighting champions" taking on the number 10 ranked team then getting a little more of a fight than they expected?

Overall, this is a small thing, but it's like come on. You're just shitting all over your own rankings concept by making obvious jobbers #1 contenders out of the blue when there's a much simpler way to get to the same match next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8-0 #1 ranked Page falling to 8-1 #5 ranked below Cage and Moxley is absurd. Anyone who takes the rankings too seriously is opening themselves up to abuse, full stop. If they're not going to sweat the details too much, nobody else should. Let them book whatever they want and don't think too much about TK's mental masturbation. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

As a biracial person, if my white father tried to use my existence for a babyface pop about racial equality in America, I'd punch the old man in his god damn mouth. (And I like my dad) Cody can fuck off forever.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

Did Kenny say Heel Turn as he left?

I heard, "heel tunnel, Don" 

On the Pinnacle coronation, I groaned when I saw them being flanked by 5 women, especially when Tully had a line about how the Pinnacle get all the best things, including these women, icky! But something I noticed (and this is probably confirmation bias) but during the promo when the 5 women were chatting in the background, Shawn Spears (the dick!) seemed to turn around and shush them. Then 30 seconds later (lovely!) Wardlow, turned around and seemed to be engaging in the chats with the women like an actual human being, ignoring the promo, even missing his cue for the watches. In summary, boo Shawn Spears, Yay Wardlow! 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I heard, "heel tunnel, Don" 

On the Pinnacle coronation, I groaned when I saw them being flanked by 5 women, especially when Tully had a line about how the Pinnacle get all the best things, including these women, icky! But something I noticed (and this is probably confirmation bias) but during the promo when the 5 women were chatting in the background, Shawn Spears (the dick!) seemed to turn around and shush them. Then 30 seconds later (lovely!) Wardlow, turned around and seemed to be engaging in the chats with the women like an actual human being, ignoring the promo, even missing his cue for the watches. In summary, boo Shawn Spears, Yay Wardlow! 

I was on my phone for a good chunk of this and only registered bored women. I'll be going back and having an eagle eye for any of this, because it sounds fun. 

• Like 1

I noticed Harwood shaking his head and showing off his wedding ring as well when Tully was offering up the ladies.

The bit did seem a bit out of place in 2021, especially when it’s pretty openly known that at least two of those guys are married. I suppose openly cheating on your spouse on tv would be a dick heel move.

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

8-0 #1 ranked Page falling to 8-1 #5 ranked below Cage and Moxley is absurd. Anyone who takes the rankings too seriously is opening themselves up to abuse, full stop. If they're not going to sweat the details too much, nobody else should. Let them book whatever they want and don't think too much about TK's mental masturbation. 

Bring back the BCS computers. This selection committee stuff just isn’t working.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

C'mon...we all know that all 5 went home with Wardlow that night. 

• Like 3

Man, that's the good stuff right there.  I really loved Mox/Nagata as it felt like a good New Japan-style match with a more animated crowd.  I also really liked Nagata in the match and fully believe he will wrestle until he's 70.  As for "Wild Thing" I think it was just for this match and will be kind of disappointed if he uses that going forward.  I know it's a nod to Onita but as mentioned before there's other versions that work worlds better for him.

5 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I missed the Spears part because who cares.  But I was laughing at single-and-looking Wardlow talking to them.  He seems like a good dude and is looking around so hopefully things works out in that department.  But five women for the whole group is a bit much as it should have been one for Wardlow and that's it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Z said:

Also, while I'm with a lot of you guys politically, I think a lot of people need to chill a bit (especially with a wrestling show)

200w.gif?cid=82a1493be2i9tshgwzrw8gywlrf

If AEW (or any promotion) wants to bring politics into their storylines, then we have every right to vehemently disagree and/or bash them for said angle/promo. Especially in 2021. It's fair game after that since they've opened themselves up to it. Just a hard disagree there, my man.

• Like 11

I agree with that and that's definitely a reason why I hated the promo.  I'm a left-leaning fella and outside of wrestling I can appreciate speeches about diversity.  Heck, I even think that when Cody drops his ego he's somebody I would really like.  But whether it's left or right-leaning rhetoric it has no place in wrestling.  WWE was smart to stay away from that the last couple years and AEW didn't need to say anything anyway.  We see the representation that they have and it speaks much louder than anything anybody can say (it's a main reason why I love AEW for sure but rarely if ever feel the need to say it)  So take that plus whatever the fuck else Cody was saying and it was all a big ol' clusterfuck of a promo.

EDIT:  Didn't mean to disparage what Big Z was saying.  If you and others like it then more power to you.  I just feel that it has no place in wrestling anymore and wasn't too fond of it to begin with.

I hate that I keep wanting to say something about it but while this week was fun I'm best off just looking ahead to next week.  It on paper feels like a cool down from the past couple weeks but I have a feeling it's going to be a really good show anyway.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

The whole angle just feels weird. Why did Ogogo need to cover him with the Union Jack, and not, say, a flag with the Factory’s new logo on it or something? Seems like the perfect way to stealthily introduce AEW flags onto their shop website, too.

As it is, I don’t think this match is going to be one of the main matches promoted for the show. Quite the opposite, I think it’s going to definitely be the opener of the PPV. You’re telling me that Cody isn’t going to be the first man out on their big comeback full capacity card? C’mon. Of course he is.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Have...have you ever watched college football?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

bored women

You should see the trio of ladies in Swinger's Palace over on Impact. One of them looks like she is going to walk out on camera one of these days.

EDIT: With all the talk of "Wild Thing" I keep forgetting that the first thing I thought when it played was "man why didn't they bring over his cool New Japan music instead".

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1