DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

28 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I'd throw toning down the juice to that list. 3 month moratorium starting today.

Can't have that, Jericho said last week was the beginning of the Summer of VIOLENCE~! so we go 3 months the opposite way

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

2 really bit picks, but

Not only is Jericho barely selling the horrendous fall from last week, but Blood and Guts *WASN'T* THE BLOWOFF??? 

and 2, as good as the Miro/Darby was, that finish was total ass.  Just put the damn hold on right, that pull back looked like it barely tickled.  That might be the worst submission finish ever.

I think Jericho said that on his podcast leading up to it, that Blood & Guts was just a chapter in the story but wouldn't be the ending or something along those lines.

2 agreed, I actually thought Darby rolled back to pin him like that and clearly got the 3 count!

• Like 1

Okay, I am the resident Kenny Omega mark but as AEW develops they need to move away from the Bucks and Omega NJPW epics as the big match style to what Darby Allin has been building. Violent, brutal, sell your ass off, make it look and feel like a gritty fight based around storytelling and psychology. For me, right now, Darby is the best going. He works best from underneath against monsters but proved he can lead green guys like 10 and be a by any means necessary babyface. He's the best. Thar moment where he knew he was fucked but looked over at Sting and decided to go out swinging is everything shit ass Shawn Michaels wishes he could've done (bless Matt Jackson for trolling I'm sorry I love you btw). I want this in front of a packed house with a full build in like a year or more with Darby winning. Miro is fucking incredible too. But yeah, the Omega NJPW epics have peaked. It's the era of short violent storytelling. Let's fucking go. 

Agree with the consensus. There was some very good, some unfortunate (pray for OC), and some shit (Jericho sucks right now). 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm pissed they're doing another one, but I thought MJF saying "no laughs" was a good sign. I just feel like it was a cool idea born out of necessity, why do the WWE thing and shoehorn it in every year?

I hope this is the last one. Make it a Jericho signature match and it can go away with him. 

Cody, my fellow humans, is the greediest man alive and I appreciate him having absolutely no self awareness. That was so painful to watch. ?

Daniels' blade job was maybe the grossest I've seen on AEW with the blood immediately pooling around his head. The ghoul in me wishes he would have spent more time in the ring after that to get the bloody canvas effect but I understand why not.

Mox/Nagata was exactly what I wanted it to be.

• Like 6

Oh yeah, and how about Miro's trunks? That was incredible. Get the TNT champion outfit as you're winning the title. And Darby's lower half facepaint looked so fucking cool too. Everything about that except maybe the extracurriculars that were there to setup two matches at DoN was perfection. I'm glad they didn't go full Cena/Lesnar squash.

edit: yeah, that ☝️

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

To temper the Cody hate a bit - do we know for certain he writes his own promos? Because I thought his delivery was really good. It's just the content of the promo that was... huh? They're going with a nationalistic jingo thing for this match? Did Cody even acknowledge that he had an issue with the Factory?

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm glad they didn't go full Cena/Lesnar squash.

This is my very safe and diplomatic take but I think it's too soon since the Brody/Cody squash. No need to write over that one yet.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

"Wild Thing" coming on was hilarious, not only for the Onita reference and JR identifying the Troggs, but the FLUTE SOLO. Which was accurately subtitled in the closed captioning, "FLUTE SOLO" ? The match was fine, wish you could hear more of the striking but the crowd was real loud and maybe they just don't mic the ring well. Mox did get beat up with some chest bruising and the busted cheek. 

Cody started talking about 'murica so I muted. I had no real interest in the SCU match and then the one time I look up I see blood again?! And Daniels is just pouring. So I stuck around for the rest of the match, which I guess was fine. Bucks bringing up being "good Christian men", using "darn" and "butt", Karl Anderson saying "this is the circle where we praise Jesus!", the blood on the kicks, mocking HBK/Flair, all that was hilarious. Meanwhile Gallows is standing there with a dumb hat and giant earring and tie-dye trying too hard. 

Indeed, a lot of the rest was AEW Is RAW, down to spraying shit on someone because it's sooooo funny. How long did it take them to change the mat and clean up ringside? At least Tully gave another sermon from the mount. 

And of course, Miro/Darby was fuckin' awesome.

• Like 5

I think I preferred this show to last week. I feel like a lot got done and had a big time feel. There was some typical AEW over-booking though.

I think Nagata/Moxley was just the right length for that type of matchup. Both guys got some spots in. Moxley wins. That said, that was more like a double-underhook suplex than a Deathrider/Paradigm Shift.

Tag title match was fun. I thought Matt Jackson doing the heel version of "I'm sorry, I love you," was a stroke of genius. I was a bit annoyed the camera was moving away from SCU f'n having to break up, but at least it went back to them later. 

I think if the idea was to just get to Omega vs. Orange vs. PAC they could've just done a double pin or draw than the overbooked double countout.

Now, when I saw over-booking, look at the post-match finish for the main event. Miro wins, then Page and Scorpio are running in to get their spots. Then they get chased off by Dark Order. And then Lance Archer/Roberts show up to stare down with Miro. It all happened so rapidly that none of it really got to sink in and leave an impression.

I would've just not had any Dark Order/Page&Scorpio stuff. Just have Sting or whoever checking on Darby on the outside, and then have Lance Archer come out to set up that he's the next opponent for Miro.

AEW booking is way too addicted to post-match brawls and schmozz. I'm just asking to tone it down a little. Let things sink in and play out.

Cody Rhodes' pandering promo tonight was cringe and worst part of the show. Whole lot of random crap about nothing. Reminded me of one of those bad, random John Cena promos. At least when Piper would go on an unhinged rant, he sort of had that bizarre coke-fueled charisma, and then you'd play it off by going to Heenan being all "What is he talking about?! Talking about a bunch of kids on busses with peanut butter on the paws?"

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That cannonoball tope suicida was fuckin' BOSS, hope someone gif'd that.

That and the ABSURD deadlift gutwrench that Miro gave him, lookin like he tossed a dummy they made out of clothes pinned together and filled with newspaper. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Oh yeah, and how about Miro's trunks? That was incredible. Get the TNT champion outfit as you're winning the title. And Darby's lower half facepaint looked so fucking cool too. Everything about that except maybe the extracurriculars that were there to setup two matches at DoN was perfection. I'm glad they didn't go full Cena/Lesnar squash.

Honestly, after seeing Darby Allin on ESPN SportsNation today, I figured no way he's losing now. Pleasantly surprised.

Anthony Ogogo is going to get really over by losing to Cody and Cody taking his bolo punch and surviving. 

I was really expecting Kaz to turn on CD after that match. First SCU match I've enjoyed in a long, long time and it was an appropriate way to go out. Would be cool if Kazarian doesn't just go full dickhead heel because that was certainly where they were heading when they set the whole angle up. Daniels is somebody to me like the archetype of his style. Incredible fundamentals, super smooth, athletic, good at the highspot match as well as an old school special, but somebody who I have never really been emotionally invested in or "believed". Alex Shelley is much the same. I respect their body of work and both seem like awesome dudes but there is no edge to the large majority of their work. 

edit: @DreamBrokenomfg, hhahahahahahahaha. hahahahahhaaha. incredible. tyb.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

God fucking damnit I kept expecting him to break out into that one monologue from the beginning of The Glass Menagerie. That's the deepest insult I can muster.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

At this point you build Darby back up and have him be the one to dethrone Omega yeah? 

Hmm. Maybe? I still think Hangman is the one to do that, but you never know.

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I feel like they're going to be stuck on their Hangman arc, but this is 100% the way to go. 

Well, the Hangman arc they've been building for - what, a year or two? - does need a payoff. Hangman winning the TNT title might seem like an anticlimax after so long.