DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

Four matches announced, if I'm not missing any. All four have the potential to be (at the least) very, very good. All four are pretty interesting from a broken-kayfabe perspective.

Tony Schiavone Interviews Jade Cargill, and Cody has something to say - (plus any other non-match stuff scheduled that I've forgotten about or missed):

In both cases, it should be interesting to hear what they have to say. I'm hoping that both Cody and Cargill will be building toward something very directly related to upcoming professional wrestling matches, and not just repeating their catch-phrase or updating us on their personal life.

AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: The Young Bucks (c) vs. SCU – “SCU will Break Up if they Lose” - Outcome is pretty much a foregone conclusion, though it would be genuinely funny/shocking if they decided to give SCU one last run on top before breaking them up. I feel like the Buck's heel turn has gone really well and if the plan all along was for them to be the ones who break up SCU then that's some damned effective long-term story telling. I'm hoping for SCU to go all out, considering what's at stake, and for the Bucks to be forced into some very serious cheating to hold on to their belts. It could be pretty great if they do it right, it could be disappointing if they decide to go any other way with this.

AEW World Championship Eliminator Match: #1 Ranked Orange Cassidy vs. #2 Ranked PAC – “Winner Faces Kenny Omega at Double or Nothing” - I like the extreme contrast between the way too serious Pac and the not nearly serious enough Orange, as characters. Omega's interview last week seems to be setting up an Orange victory... but maybe that's just a smokescreen? Either way, this match should be exciting and so should the AEW World Championship match that comes out of it... while still leaving space for something else to headline the PPV.

TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) (w/Sting) vs. Miro - Will Miro squash the already-injured Darby? Will Darby fight like hell from underneath only to lose in the end due to injury/exhaustion/etc? Will Miro's hubris cost him? Will AEW give us a DQ or DCOR finish in a title match? Lots of ways they could go with this one. Lots of different ways it could be pretty awesome to watch.

IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Yuji Nagata - In strictly non-kayfabe terms: Do they want to get the belt of Mox's waist to make room for the tag straps? Or, is Mox gonna hold on to the belt until he can drop it in Japan? 

I'm really hoping for a Nagata vs Ishii type of nasty stiff slugfest here. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2

@El Gran Gordi: Young Bucks vs. Mox/Kingston for the AEW World Tag Team Titles or Shida/Baker for the AEW World Women's Championship as the Double or Nothing 3 main event. I can see the latter going on last. Shida is the first wrestler to hold a title for an entire year and drops it to Dr. Britt Baker, she has to be the next AEW World Women's Champion.

• Like 1

This is one of those weeks where aside from the tag title match I don't know who's gonna win and that's just wonderful.  I would like for SCU to have one more run but with the DoN build I don't see it happening.  Plus with Bucks recently being heels it would cut their legs out if they lost the titles so soon.  Only thing I wonder about it is what happens to SCU from there.  I can't see one of them turning heel but with Daniels at his age I see retirement coming really soon as he stays backstage.  Frankie looks like he's got a few more miles on him though but I don't know about a singles push.

The rest of the matches are up in the air though I'm leaning towards Orange winning.  It's a fresh matchup and while it might not headline the PPV I think it would be absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

I really really want to see Mox and King cost the Bucks the title. Which wouldn't take away from a hate filled grudge match for the PPV and SCU can have a nice run which ends with heels (hopefully Scorpio and Page) getting the double rub of winning the belts and ending SCU. 

• Like 2

I love the idea of Scorpio and Page taking it but with them feuding with Sting and Darby at the moment I'm not sure if that's something they have in mind.  If they do go that route then that would be some great long-term booking for sure.

I feel like the plan from the beginning has always been for SCU to have their last match as a team against the Bucks, whom they’re very close with.  So this could be the end for them.  But you also have to think that they’d prefer their last match to be in front of a full house (and, ideally, in Southern California), so...might SCU sneak the win here with Mox and King’s help to prolong this run until they get to that ideal situation?  I could see it.  Mox/King vs the Bucks certainly doesn’t need to have the belts involved to justify itself on the PPV.  

But babyfaces winning gold through interference doesn’t seem like a TK play.  And I don’t see a trip to Cali coming together soon enough to justify giving SCU a run with the belts to get there.

I know the general consensus is that OC will beat PAC, but...

I think PAC needs to win and not just because OC vs Kenny Omega will be a joke. Best Friends are feuding with Death Triangle and OC already lost to PAC once before. It would be neat to see PAC being OC's Kryptonite, the one guy he can't beat. PLUS, PAC winning nicely segues into all of the promos PAC was cutting on Kenny, telling Kenny that he was still coming back and he was coming for him.

PAC winning finally pays off those promos and that angle between Kenny and PAC and it would be a good final match for those two for a long while. The last time they fought, Kenny needed overtime in an ironman match to win. You can then always run Kenny vs OC at another time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Tony Schiavone Interviews Jade Cargill, and Cody has something to say - (plus any other non-match stuff scheduled that I've forgotten about or missed):

In both cases, it should be interesting to hear what they have to say. I'm hoping that both Cody and Cargill will be building toward something very directly related to upcoming professional wrestling matches, and not just repeating their catch-phrase or updating us on their personal life.

Particularly not Jade, because her catchphrase is terrible.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

@El Gran Gordi: Young Bucks vs. Mox/Kingston for the AEW World Tag Team Titles or Shida/Baker for the AEW World Women's Championship as the Double or Nothing 3 main event. I can see the latter going on last. Shida is the first wrestler to hold a title for an entire year and drops it to Dr. Britt Baker, she has to be the next AEW World Women's Champion.

I still think Inner Circle vs Pinnacle Stadium Stampede will be the main event.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I really really want to see Mox and King cost the Bucks the title. Which wouldn't take away from a hate filled grudge match for the PPV and SCU can have a nice run which ends with heels (hopefully Scorpio and Page) getting the double rub of winning the belts and ending SCU. 

Yeah, I was going to post that I could see that happening. I think the Bucks ending SCU is the more likely result, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

KILL KILL HATE HATE MURDER MURDER MUTILATE

Tony Schiavone Interviews Jade Cargill,

Who will interrupt and will Tony get a question out first? The managerial battle royal continues! 

and Cody has something to say

I think I've successfully driven the "Television Show about the Web Site" "joke" into the dirt and run it over with a riding mower. ? To be Fair ? This is likely to be nothing groundbreaking since Cody is the company spokesperson and this could literally be about anything. I think they've successfully dimmed the company announcement down to the point where anything impactful would be a surprise.

AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: The Young Bucks (c) vs. SCU – “SCU will Break Up if they Lose” 

Can I be for real, for real? Does any tag team need the bump from breaking up SCU less than the Young Bucks? Couldn't this make a team like the Acclaimed? This just seems like the least interesting end for the angle of available options. Can I be even more for reals?  The Young Bucks have low key crushed the greatest tag team division of recent memory. There is no one left to beat them but super singles teams like Mox and Kingston.  We've switched the Bucks heel which would normally lead to fresh matchups but they've already beaten all the faces already! This wouldn't be the case if AEW could book a damn tag team feud that lasted more than 3 weeks.

AEW World Championship Eliminator Match: #1 Ranked Orange Cassidy vs. #2 Ranked PAC – “Winner Faces Kenny Omega at Double or Nothing” 

This is what people are complaining about when they talk about the ranking system makes no sense. When were these guys' last wins against non Dark competition? Pac's by memory was beating Kingston, Cassidy's was against... help me out here? Jericho? They've mostly been in tag matches or not around since COVID and here we are!  This is what happens when you don't plan stuff and rely on tag matches and trios matches to fill up your shows.

TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) (w/Sting) vs. Miro 

See the last paragraph, copy and paste it. Miro's biggest wins are against Chuck and Trent? and are at least months old. Granted to get a TNT title shot you just have to be on the right spot on the booking dart board. 

IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Yuji Nagata 

Booking for the die hards who would have any idea who Yuji is. The Forbidden Door opening was such a nothing leading to a disappointing garbage match from KENTA and nothing much else. No one will have any emotional investment in this because the company hasn't created any. They needed to be hyping Nagata up for this and they didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Goodear said:

This is what people are complaining about when they talk about the ranking system makes no sense. When were these guys' last wins against non Dark competition? Pac's by memory was beating Kingston, Cassidy's was against... help me out here? Jericho?

OC beat Penta two weeks ago. Last singles win on TV before that was February 17 over Luther.

PAC's last was against Ryan Nemeth on the February 10 episode. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I know the general consensus is that OC will beat PAC, but...

I think PAC needs to win and not just because OC vs Kenny Omega will be a joke. Best Friends are feuding with Death Triangle and OC already lost to PAC once before. It would be neat to see PAC being OC's Kryptonite, the one guy he can't beat. PLUS, PAC winning nicely segues into all of the promos PAC was cutting on Kenny, telling Kenny that he was still coming back and he was coming for him.

PAC winning finally pays off those promos and that angle between Kenny and PAC and it would be a good final match for those two for a long while. The last time they fought, Kenny needed overtime in an ironman match to win. You can then always run Kenny vs OC at another time.

PAC's threat to the title is a easy sell.  PAC should always be part of the championship conversation.

My problem with OC vs. Omega is that when you've booked an arrogant champion against the so-called unworthy challenger, the proper thing to do is put the challenger over and have him win the belt and there is no way they take the title off of Omega in what feels like the middle of this belt collector gimmick.

This will be just another match in the almost but not quite booking of Cassidy's title challenges and that kinda makes me sad.  Will it ever be his time to win a belt?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Goodear said:

KILL KILL HATE HATE MURDER MURDER MUTILATE

HATE SUPERBOY

HATE THE LEGION OF SUPERHEROES

HATE HATE HATE

Tony Schiavone Interviews Jade Cargill,

Who will interrupt and will Tony get a question out first? The managerial battle royal continues! 

The weird thing that you may not be aware of is that after Jade's match on Darkelvation this week, some random guy came out and said he wanted to talk to Jade about her future. Surely they wouldn't reveal Jade's new manager on one of the YouTube shows, would they? But then what would be the point of introducing a new character just to have them not be the one picked? Strange.

and Cody has something to say

This is likely to be nothing groundbreaking since Cody is the company spokesperson and this could literally be about anything.

Pretty sure it was specifically "Cody's announcement about the PPV" or something like that. So that narrows it down a bit.

This wouldn't be the case if AEW could book a damn tag team feud that lasted more than 3 weeks.

Hey, the Bucks-FTR feud wasn't good, but it was long. You got your wish!

This is what people are complaining about when they talk about the ranking system makes no sense.

Yeah, but it's wrestling. It only needs to make sense to the extent that doing so helps with the storytelling. I bitched about the rankings myself a few weeks ago, but my complaint wasn't that Tay being ranked #1 prior to her match with Nyla didn't make sense, it was that it detracted from the story of the match rather than enhancing it. By contrast, Max Caster was ranked #2 around the same despite having beat nobody of note - but that was fine IMO, because it was clearly done to make Adam Page's victory over Caster a bigger deal than it otherwise would have been.

As for OC and Pac specifically - as John pointed out, OC recently beat Penta on Dynamite. Pac is one of the few guys in AEW to have a win against the current champion. And both have impressive numbers under their names to back up their rankings. I don't think calling them the top two contenders is too much of a stretch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The weird thing that you may not be aware of is that after Jade's match on Darkelvation this week, some random guy came out and said he wanted to talk to Jade about her future. Surely they wouldn't reveal Jade's new manager on one of the YouTube shows, would they? But then what would be the point of introducing a new character just to have them not be the one picked? Strange.

Hey, the Bucks-FTR feud wasn't good, but it was long. You got your wish!

Wasn't that the lawyer for MJF who Moxley beat up in a match?

I thought that Bucks-FTR was a really short 3 week program leading to the title change and no follow up? Honestly if you're going to do a 6 month long feud with lots of twists and turns, that is the one to do. Unless we count the whole 'Young Bucks are turning heel but now they aren't!" as build which... I don't think we should?

24 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Wasn't that the lawyer for MJF who Moxley beat up in a match?

Maybe? They may have actually explained who it was, but Dark is good enough to watch, not good enough to pay 100% attention to.

24 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I thought that Bucks-FTR was a really short 3 week program leading to the title change and no follow up? Honestly if you're going to do a 6 month long feud with lots of twists and turns, that is the one to do. Unless we count the whole 'Young Bucks are turning heel but now they aren't!" as build which... I don't think we should?

Again - maybe? The feud certainly wasn't good enough to commit to memory. But didn't FTR debut in AEW by helping the Bucks? I'd count the time they were feigning friendship/respect as part of the build to their eventual match.

As I recall that was all making friends with Page rather than the Bucks which culminated with Page helping The Best Friends beat the Bucks in the gauntlet so FTR could beat Best Friends and then beat Page and Omega for the tag belts.

For a portion of the main event, it looked like Miro had just walked under a freshly-painted fence and a skunk was trying to fuck him.

Good show. Big matches delivered. Shoot Cody into the sun.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3