DVDVR Message Board

[DVDVRMC] CUTTHROAT ISLAND (Harlin, 1995)

RIPPA

I hate to be *that guy*, but out of the blue the other day one of my friends messaged me to ask if Geena Davis was hot. 

How come this film didn't have the success of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN? Modine>Depp, surely.

I wonder how much it being a Christmas release instead of a Summer blockbuster release hurt it.

I mean it didn't open against anything amazing - yet is was crushed by everything it opened against... including Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Sudden Death opened the same time - didn't do great - but that a pure action movie with a "name" star so that could have also hurt.

I looked at the August 1995 releases and they were dreadful. I mean I really like Mortal Kombat and all but still. And if it couldn't have been ready in time, they could have easily snuck it in before Twister and Mission Impossible came out in Summer 1996

Hillary had never heard of this movie, so I tried to sum it up by saying 'it's like Pirates of the Carribean but with Geena Davis instead of Orlando Bloom and no Johnny Depp' and she told me it sounded awful. I remember liking it, but there is a good chance I'm getting large portions of it confused with Muppet Treasure Island, a far superior cinematic experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hillary had never heard of this movie, so I tried to sum it up by saying 'it's like Pirates of the Carribean but with Geena Davis instead of Orlando Bloom and no Johnny Depp' and she told me it sounded awful

That might be the worst way to sell a woman on a movie.  "You know that movie with the two hot guys?  Well take them out and replace them with Geena Davis!"  You should have gone the feminism/empowerment route!  :lol:

• Like 1