DVDVR Message Board

2021 NHL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I take the opposite approach and, as much as a poor teacher can feel sorry for a generational talent that makes millions, feel bad for McDavid. I hope the Oilers either get their shit together or he manufactures his way out of that place to avoid wasting his prime years there. My hockey knowledge is probably 3 or 4 years old as I've generally fallen out of love with the sport and the NHL, but I look at the Oilers roster and it looks pretty damn good on paper. I get that the games were close but how the fuck did they get swept by the Jets? Identity crisis? Holy shit. Heads should roll. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, Death From Above said:

I have never liked Tippett and he's done nothing to encourage me since.

There's also a clear disconnect. I'm going to spare people me ranting about our GM saying partway through the year "this isn't the time to try and win" while we have the MVP of the sport. But even if you get by how utterly defeatist that is... if this isn't the year to win why is our coach so petrified to play his younger guys like Bear and Bouchard but consistently protects mediocre veterans? There's a massive disconnect there.

Is this where I once again thank you guys for taking Ken Holland off our hands?  Much thanks for that!

Alright, I'm less depressed now.  

A great season for my boys.   Glad they have a bright future ahead.  To wit....

The Panthers are apparently going to try to get Keith Yandle to waive his NMC so Seattle can take him in the expansion draft.  He actively sucked during the last third of the season, to the point that he was benched for 2 games during the playoffs after a horrible mistake he made led to a TB goal. (NOTE - This didn't end the STREAK~)  

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Panthers are apparently going to try to get Keith Yandle to waive his NMC so Seattle can take him in the expansion draft.  He actively sucked during the last third of the season, to the point that he was benched for 2 games during the playoffs after a horrible mistake he made led to a TB goal. (NOTE - This didn't end the STREAK~)  

Tough spot for the Panthers to be in.  Don't want to have to bench him because he sucks and end the streak - even though they supposedly almost did at the start of the year - but also, well, he suck and needs to be benched.  There's always the chance Seattle doesn't take him, too.

Buffalo wins the draft lottery. Seattle moves up to 2nd which was the only change. Anaheim falls to third.

Taylor Hall's status as Warlock of the Draft continues. Cannot wait to see what bizarre trade scenario leads to the Bruins holding 1st overall next year.

• Like 1

The only thing that can save the Sabres is Terry Pegula either getting run over by a garbage truck or getting caught doing something really bad and going to jail

So I pile on my own team a lot mainly because they do strange things a lot. Here's another weird one.

https://www.coppernblue.com/2021/6/23/22548055/did-the-edmonton-oilers-forget-about-matej-blumel-dynamo-pardubice

The tl;dr here is that the Oilers drafted this guy in 2019, because he's a USHL player they only had a 2 year window to sign him. They recently went through the process of putting out a little social media hyping his good perfromances... but never offered him a contract so they no longer have his rights.

Did the Oilers just forget to sign this guy? Do they just not want him? Who fucking knows. But it sure seems pretty weird to draft a guy 100th overall, go through the effort to track him enough to hype him up, and then not even offer him a deal.

Side note - the Kraken's Twitter bio is great

now that we have a name, we're strategizing all the ways to draft your favorite player.