DVDVR Message Board

2021 NHL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Well the season is over for many of the US based teams (or will be shortly) so time to start this thread

Columbus has told Torts that his services are no longer required

Saw a guy on Twitter post that he'd heard two names in the Rangers orbit for new coach were John Tortorella and Mike Babcock. For reasons of pure chaos, I hope they are somehow both true and it culminates with a behind-the-bench brawl between co-coacehes Torts and Babcock.

They haven't fired him yet but I would be very surprised if Jeff Blashill is back next year as Detroit's head coach.  That said, Detroit DID show significant improvement defensively this year and improved as the season went on.  They played hard even in games where they got blown out.  They had maybe the best goalie in the league in April (Thomas Greiss, who posted back-to-back 65-minute shutouts).  And they surpassed last year's win total by 2 despite playing 15 fewer games.  They didn't finish last.  And they did all that with Tyler Bertuzzi missing nearly 50 games, Robby Fabbri missing 26, Dylan Larkin missing 12, and Bobby Ryan missing 23.  And Anthony Mantha playing poorly.  So that's all good.

However...

They still won only 19 games.  They had more than 1 or 2 games where they were absolutely destroyed.  The power play scored just 10.81% of the time.  The PK succeeded 78.71% of the time.  Greiss was awesome in April but terrible before that.  The offense was awful the entire season at just 2.27 goals/gm.  There was no accountability for awful play or even lazy play other than Anthony Mantha getting benched early in the season for a game.  Up and down the lineup are guys who are terrified to shoot the puck.  The defense was better but soft.

Detroit has roughly 500 picks in this year's draft.  They ARE getting better and there is help on the way.  The team plays hard under Blashill but I think he needs to go.  Then again, I've been saying that for years.  I trust in the Yzerplan but am eager to see how it all plays out.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Terry Pegula: Pure Carny Scum.

Satan should create a brand new 10th circle of Hell just for him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, caley said:

New York Post reports Gerard Gallant as the front-runner from a group that includes Torts and Bob Hartley.

I continue to be surprised that Gallant isn't coaching Detroit.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, Tabe said:

They haven't fired him yet but I would be very surprised if Jeff Blashill is back next year as Detroit's head coach. (snipped for space)

How about signing him to an extension instead? DGB speaks for us all

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Not sure why they are including Arizona if they are just gonna do the redraw but it is what it is

I'd say "Who are the Sabres going take with the 3rd OA pick?" but given that this draft is the shittiest draft for having a #1OA in close to a decade of course we win it and get Yak v2.0 because fuck everything.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Boy should that be an easy choice and I absolutely expect the Sabres to get it wrong.

The prevailing belief is that this is just theater and that Granato is getting the job.

McDavid scared the shit out of me that entire series, there's nothing about this series loss that's on him.

If I was an Oilers fan, I'd be more concerned with my coach sending defensemen out there to play 5 minute long shifts

• Like 2

I have never liked Tippett and he's done nothing to encourage me since.

There's also a clear disconnect. I'm going to spare people me ranting about our GM saying partway through the year "this isn't the time to try and win" while we have the MVP of the sport. But even if you get by how utterly defeatist that is... if this isn't the year to win why is our coach so petrified to play his younger guys like Bear and Bouchard but consistently protects mediocre veterans? There's a massive disconnect there.

It's a frustrating level of dysfunction. The organization STILL doesn't know what it wants to be.

Playing a double OT with 2 1/2 lines and 4 D is just suicidal once you get past the first 10 minutes or so. Draisaitl looked like he was gonna just fall over by the end.

• Like 1