DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

57 minutes ago, Log said:

I think some of the issue might be that the match leading up to the bump was so violent. If it’d been more of a straight match with that sort of bump at the end, it’d be ok. Two teams just tried to murder each other for 30 minutes and then it ends on a safe-looking (notice I said “looking”, I do realize the danger in that bump) bump. 

NOW WE'RE THINKING LIKE BOOKERS~!

Yes, the main problem most people with the finish was the idea of diminishing returns.  We went from Sammy Is Doing Crazy Spots to plasma and weapons in no time flat.  At that point, the finish has to justify the body of the match.  We had all deduced from the pics of the venue that there had to be some sort of bump off of the top of the cage and Pinnacle desperately needs this win, so I knew for sure that Sammy would be the one taking the cage bump since he is young and springy and can probably pull off that spot without serious injury if properly prepped.

Sammy is like the kid brother of the IC so you could easily substitute him for Jericho in that "surrender or he dies" spot and it still works.  

I was totally stunned when Jericho started climbing after MJF.  Certainly he's not going to take that fall..  OH, FUCK~!

So yes, a violent match like that deserves a brutal finish.  Blood & Guts's only sin was not maintaining the illusion of violence for that final spot and that falls on Production, not on MJF or Jericho.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, EVA said:

Personally, I think we should be spending more time talking about the triumphant return of Technique by Taz.  It’s about time somebody called out Christian for his weak quads.

That was really great. Taz making the unbiased announcer voice the whole time while shit-talking his enemies is gold. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, EVA said:

Personally, I think we should be spending more time talking about the triumphant return of Technique by Taz.  It’s about time somebody called out Christian for his weak quads.

The kayfabe science explaining why transition spots are two counts and finishers are three counts.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know, I didn't even see them use barbed wire last night. Was it just a spool they brought in?

It was used during the commercial break to presumably not run into issues with using it on the main broadcast.

In all of the talk about Jericho's bump, I feel like we haven't talked enough about how smart the booking of the finish was.

It really was a "keep everyone strong" finish.  The Inner Circle don't look weak for protecting one of their own and Pinnacle looks tough for getting Jericho into that situation.  Again, there were some things left to be desired in the actual presentation of that, but I think it was a really smart way to book the ending of the match.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

NOW WE'RE THINKING LIKE BOOKERS~!

Yes, the main problem most people with the finish was the idea of diminishing returns.  We went from Sammy Is Doing Crazy Spots to plasma and weapons in no time flat.  At that point, the finish has to justify the body of the match.  We had all deduced from the pics of the venue that there had to be some sort of bump off of the top of the cage and Pinnacle desperately needs this win, so I knew for sure that Sammy would be the one taking the cage bump since he is young and springy and can probably pull off that spot without serious injury if properly prepped.

Sammy is like the kid brother of the IC so you could easily substitute him for Jericho in that "surrender or he dies" spot and it still works.  

I think part of the reason the ending fell flat for me was that as soon as he started climbing, I knew that there was no way in hell that Jericho is taking any kind of serious bump, so it was clear that either MJF would take the bump (which wouldn't make sense booking-wise) or there would be fuckery.

Now if you put Sammy in that same position instead of Jericho the whole thing comes off better because there is at least the tension that Sammy might do something extremely stupid up there so there's still a sense of tension instead of immediately wondering how they're going to get themselves out of the situation.

Again, the whole thing probably would have been fine with better camera work, but here we are.

This needs to be a come to Jesus moment for AEW's production team.  This is the second big, heavily-promoted, heavily-anticipated match that has been tainted (I won't say ruined because I still VERY much enjoyed both matches) by less-than-stellar production choices.  Here's hoping they think things through a lot better before they do something similar in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, Goodear said:

LET THE HATE FLOOOOOW THROUGH YOU

• Michael Nakazawa/Kenny Omega vs Eddie Kington/Jon Moxley

Either will be a joke or should be a joke. Either Nakasawa dies which we all expected or your top babyfaces can't beat him easily. Best option is that it becomes a de facto handicapped match which stacks the odds against the heel which is always a great idea. BOOKER OF THE YEAR. Can we end this forever feud yet between Moxley and Omega? Will Moxley have any sort of plan this time the Good Brothers and Young Bucks come out to beat him up?  Of course not!  

I am so smart!  I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

Everything that wasn't Blood and Guts wasn't really good (with one notable exception). Mox and King getting beat down every week is stale. Cody and QT just kind of had a match in order to get Ogogo over and they've dropped the ball on the whole Factory angle. QT has JAG all over him and the booking didn't help him at all. He's not portrayed as strong, tough or even smart enough to put Cody in jeopardy. Ogogo's bolo punch is sold as death but it doesn't have the oomph behind it to work. The tag match was flat and bad. Miro's broken English promo was ... intense?  It wasn't bad because it got the point across but it wasn't good because he tripped over his words.

The only thing that really worked was the Darby-Scorpio-Page attack. Darby flying out of no where to attack them, Sky immediately turning to pull him off Page, Sky hitting him with the trash can, the toss down the stairs those all looked really good. Hopefully Darby didn't really splatter himself (because he's crazy) and I would also have saved that for a show without a giant crash finish like B&G. But in a vacuum, this should give Sky and Page some much needed heat to work with.

6 hours ago, Log said:

Cash's entrance was one of my favorite moments.  He just gets into the cage and goes flying at someone.  No cute spots or anything, just throwing his body at the other team.

He's so good. The couple times they've had need for an FTR guy in a singles match, they've gone with Dax. He's great too, but I hope Cash eventually gets a bite at that apple so we can see him beast out with the spotlight solely on him. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Log said:

This needs to be a come to Jesus moment for AEW's production team.  This is the second big, heavily-promoted, heavily-anticipated match that has been tainted (I won't say ruined because I still VERY much enjoyed both matches) by less-than-stellar production choices.  Here's hoping they think things through a lot better before they do something similar in the future.

Don't forget the sledgehammer throne bit that also fizzled.

• Like 1

While they were in NXT, it seemed to me (and while I may be wrong it felt like the consensus) that Dax was the better/more refined of the two. Cash now is at minimum Dax's equal. Whatever holes or rough patches were in his game are long gone. He's awesome.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I'm late to the thread.  Did anyone mention anything about that crash pad?  ?

Really good show and I was a little verklempt watching the main event, saying to myself, these motherfuckers are bringing WRESTLING back!  You can criticize the finish or maybe just the way it was shot, you can find fault with plenty of stuff AEW does, especially if you go looking hard for shit to criticize, but more often than not this company is bearing the mantle of the pro wrestling a lot of us grew up with, much much more so than the #1 company in the US.  For that I'll always give them leeway.

Man, that finish must have been bad if Shotzi Blackheart of all people is making fun of it.  I mean if a 15-gimmick, cringeworthy tryhard with an edgelord name feels safe dunking on you, you must have fucked up.

Kenny/Nak vs Mox/Kingston was what it was supposed to be: just a gimmick to move the story along.  That finishing half and half was fucking vile.  Damn.  The aftermatch beatdown was fine and I continue to love the Elite's douchebag fashion choices.  That beatdown went a while with nobody saving, and I'm usually not a fan of "good guys have no friends," but I think they've done enough to establish Mox/King as lone wolves with no friends.

Anthony Ogogo dresses like a Street Fighter character and that's cool.  Comoroto and Solow are cackling over drawing the long straws in the fight over which of the three young up and comers get to job to Cody.  Cody is telling Ogogo that a high profile match can only elevate him.  Warhorse is staring at his phone waiting for a call back.

Santana screaming I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU from outside the cage was the best (the best the best the best).

I really appreciated both teams wearing matching outfits.  In the Wrestling Tropes book, page 3 says, "if you're wearing white, you're gonna bleed."

They should have aired the Omega and Miro interviews at different points in the show.  That was way too much when you're sitting there waiting for the main.  Especially what felt like six hours of Kenny yelling at OC.

Tully pulled his post wrestling career preacher-for-pay gear out of mothballs.

I LOVED the announcers treating it like this match has always been called Blood and Guts.  Fuck WWE's bastardized Wargames shit.

I enjoyed the Max Caster line about Dark Side of the ring.  God damn.  And it's so refreshing how AEW admits other wrestling-related things exist, even if they're not involved with them.

Is "Technique with Taz" going to become just Taz fucking with babyfaces and shit-talking their skills?  Sign me up.

Next week is fucking STACKED.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

They should have aired the Omega and Miro interviews at different points in the show.  That was way too much when you're sitting there waiting for the main.  Especially what felt like six hours of Kenny yelling at OC.

THIS. Miro was excellent but you had us thinking the match is gonna get cut short due to all the talking (and waiting. And then it goes long anyway, go figure). 

• Thanks 1

You know, thinking about it, if people really wanted to see the uncut commercial free version of the B&G match, there's a thing you can do on Discord...

• Like 1

As someone who watched the commercial free version, it didn't affect the match quality. I think the only good thing that happened during a break was the barbed wire for Cash's blade spot. The other two were Wardlow wasting most of his 2-minute advantage standing alone when everyone else was in the other ring and Jericho very slowly climbing the truss.

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole match but I did watch the highlights. I agree that the camera work was just off on that Jericho fall. That cage is ridiculously tall but it didn't look like it was that big of a drop. Still lots of good stuff but I agree with what lots of others here said and they've got to up the production a bit for these matches. 

Excited for the potential of an Orange Cassidy World title match but I don't think he'll be the one to end Omega's run. I'd be totally fine if he did though.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

At the point of the match where IC established dominance, they had the numbers game and had even torn one of the rings apart and were using turnbuckle rods as weapons.  Santana was gouging dudes' heads in with a fork.  Pinnacle was bloody and beaten.  I personally would've found it far more business exposing for them to have made a comeback at that stage of the game.

MJF saving his own ass provided the opportunity for victory and he will probably call that leadership and strategy in a future promo.  I can believe in that story.

The only disconnect I had with the IC game plan is the issue of Shawn Spears.   He'd already tapped to Hagar's ankle lock but the submission didn't count because all participants were not in the cage.   Once everyone was in and IC had the advantage, why bother with bloodying MJF?  Go and break Shawn Spear's ankle and win the damn thing.  I guess we will have to chalk that up to Fog of War.

Wardlow's entrance being relegated to picture-in-picture really sucked.  Khan really does need to spend some extra cash for commercial free air time during these sorts of special events.

I had it as they hated MJF so much that they wanted to incapacitate the other guys, just so they could punish MJF as much as possible, and that's what cost them.

I mean really, FTR/Wardlow/Spears they have beef with primarily because they're with MJF.

• Like 2

What the Exploding Anal Firework Deathwatch and the Blood & Guts has exposed about AEW is that they suffer from the same thing that held back WCW. They both don't really know how to finish. There has to be a Pat Patterson type of mind out there for Coach TK. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

As someone who watched the commercial free version, it didn't affect the match quality. I think the only good thing that happened during a break was the barbed wire for Cash's blade spot. The other two were Wardlow wasting most of his 2-minute advantage standing alone when everyone else was in the other ring and Jericho very slowly climbing the truss.

Tully knocking out the ref to steal the key and opening the door was during commercial. I felt that needed to not be in a commercial break.

I like the finish from a storyline perspective, kept everyone strong and gives Sammy and the IC motivation to continue to go after MJF. As for the bump... I'd be fine if wrestling eliminated crash pad bumps all together. I'm really not a fan of anything on a wrestling program that looks like it was lifted from the Wild West Hollywood Stunt show you see at six flags. I also feel that some one diving or falling off a cage was become a cliché due to it happening every time in a WWE cage match. stop with those for a few years as well.

As for the bump onto the pad? don't think it looked any worse than any off the Shane ones over the last 20 years, but I'm probably become desensitized to them

• Like 2