DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

31 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I couldn't figure how Cody got cut up so bad.  Only thing I can figure is QT middle finger scratched near his eye lid 

Yeah, I rewound a couple of times to try and see and that's all I could come up with too.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

For real. No more lame finishes to otherwise dope matches. More specifically: no more crash pads. Ever. Stop it. That was fantastic right up to the finish. Hats off to all of 'em but AEW really needs to hit the landing on these big gimmick matches. Terrible trend. Some of the visuals with MJF post-match were fantastic though. Particularly the wide shot of him with Blood & Guts on the tron.

E0q2198VkAEJ46o?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

Just finished watching it!  Awesome!  MJF is a superstar!  I loved the part after the big bump where he looked like Nero.  LOOKIT ALL THE BLOOD!

• Like 7

"We'll see what happens when the man who doesn't mind dying meets the man who doesn't mind killing" is a 10/10 line.

Also enjoyed Ethan Page airing out his frustrations with Gabe on national television.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's not terrible but it's too close to '97 with the Hennig turn which I think left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths

Maybe, but it's not like anybody's turning here.

The Blood & Guts came off great which is important.

My one complaint is that it was weird to have those Miro and Omega promos back to back. They could've spaced those out better.

The Acclaimed had my favorite entrance tonight. 

Also, Brit Baker better win the title at Double or Nothing, or I will have a conniption. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The Blood & Guts came off great which is important.

My one complaint is that it was weird to have those Miro and Omega promos back to back. They could've spaced those out better.

The Acclaimed had my favorite entrance tonight. 

Also, Brit Baker better win the title at Double or Nothing, or I will have a conniption. 

That's the time. Will agree to disagree on @ Jiji picking All Out.

Just now, Jiji said:

Tully still an incredible promo. Dax loves that man. Just look at how he stares at Tully, lol.

One of the best things about AEW is the return of Tully Blanchard and Tony Schiavone to pro wrestling.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think that happened because of how they taped everything tonight. They wanted to space out the Kenny appearances on the show and they couldn't do the Miro segment until after they did the Darby/Ego/Scorp thing live. But you're right, doing that back to back was odd.

I think it'd be more fun if we get the double turn but certainly won't complain if Britt wins. If they don't turn them though she should win via shenanigans. 

• Like 2

Amazing spectacle, thought Blood & Guts absolutely delivered. Best match of it's kind in years. Didn't love the finish but didn't hate it, and thought the Inner Circle should've been climbing the cage to get to Jericho as soon as surrendering rather than allowing MJF to still push him off which was obviously something MJF would do.  Didn't mind the Jericho bump at all and thought it looked fine for what they were going for.  Nice triumphant victory for Cody and 4 way tag was fun.

I was thinking Christian/Brian Cage would determine Kenny's next challenger so I was surprised when they announced it was Pac/Cassidy as I just didn't realize they were the top 2 ranked guys now. They seemed to really go straight in to promoting Kenny vs Orange, but either option seemed off for one of the big PPV main events. But Orange/Pentagon last week was pretty awesome and the first Orange/Pac match on PPV was a favorite of mine.

Next week looks like another great lineup and I'm glad it's live again. Expecting Miro to win the TNT title and very much looking forward to Moxley/Nagata

• Like 2

MOTHERFUCKIN WAR GAMES

I really liked it. My main complaint was that it went on way too long, but I thought the finish was pretty creative and I had a feeling that's what would happen when I saw the reinforced top of the cage in a picture earlier today. 

This was totally a one match show, but that one match was awesome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Meh. This feud should have gone 6+ months and had this as the blow off on a PPV. Half of the match being picture in picture really killed a lot of the heat for me as well. The control segments were way too uneven and I wasn't a fan of the ending.

Half of the match. For fucks sake, it was 6 minutes total. Get over yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Blood & Guts was the War Games match I've been waiting to see since 1992. That was so much fun to watch. Ok, yeah the end with Jericho going into the crash pad was dumb. But I guess they had to do something big maybe to write off Jericho for a bit. Overall it was an fun match to watch. FTR are the MVP's for supplying the blood for the match.

Cash had to of gone 0.8 on the Mutoh scale. But yeah, they need to get FTR back in that tag title chase. If Moxley/Kingston end up winning the belts at Double or Nothing (I assume that's where it is going), them vs. FTR at All Out will be a hell of a match.

Orange Cassidy has to win next week after the promo tonight. I had no idea I wanted Orange vs. Kenny but here we are.

I still dont get the point of these eliminator matches. If the rankings have Orange Cassidy at number 1, what's the point of him having to win a title shot? Maybe they should pay more attention to the rankings. Orange Cassidy sneaking up the rankings to become number one contender over everyone else is a story right there.

Considering how embarrassing the exploding death match turned out, this match really needed to deliver.

The Blood & Guts cage looked great. They had turnbuckle cams, a camera man was inside. The production values were great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

QT losing is weird... in fact having that match so soon was weird. 

Blood & Guts was good fun - but I absolutely agree with the aforementioned that this match shouldn't have happened yet.... and that finish was lame. 

I think it was too early for them to have the match right before Double or Nothing. But Cody winning this type of match isn't too weird. It is QT Marshall after all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Cash had to of gone 0.8 on the Mutoh scale. But yeah, they need to get FTR back in that tag title chase. If Moxley/Kingston end up winning the belts at Double or Nothing (I assume that's where it is going), them vs. FTR at All Out will be a hell of a match.

Great call. Can't wait. Would love a Santana/Ortiz series of matches before that. No way can that be a one and done. Santana and Ortiz need a bone here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Great call. Can't wait. Would love a Santana/Ortiz series of matches before that. No way can that be a one and done. Santana and Ortiz need a bone here.

Sold. There’s a few bones in a fist. They can have those. 

Edit: speaking of an FTR vs P&P series, of course.

Edited by John from Cincinnati