DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

Just now, J.T. said:

Hence the stip in the Miro match which may or may not have telegraphed the finish.

Oh I tuned out the interview, what's the stip?

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Easily the best War Games since the first NXT one, maybe the '90s. I don't understand the crash pad talk, was MJF supposed to shoot murder a guy?

If that bump (and only that bump) were produced by WWE, Jericho would have went though a well-mic'ed plank of cheap wood the same color as the crash pad, there would have been a gap between said wood and plank, and the cameras would have been angled in a way to leave some question as to how hard the fall actually was (like keeping the camera low and shooting up).

There are little things about blocking and filming that AEW lag far, far behind in, and this is as good of an example as you're going to get.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Having heard its Kenny Omega vs. the winner of PAC/Orange Cassidy at Double or Nothing 3, that's an underwhelming PPV main event unlike Blood & Guts. I'd have preferred that there and you'd get no adverts.

Maybe Bucks vs. Mox & Kingston will Main Event the PPV.

• Like 1

Blood and Guts was fucking beautiful violence. Hats off to both teams for an epic match (minus the commercials).

Darby is gonna die for all of our sins next week.

Does Mox and King screw the Bucks out of the tag belts next week? SCU wins, only to be broken up by old friend Scorp and his new homey Page?

I kinda want Pac/Omega again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't understand the crash pad talk, was MJF supposed to shoot murder a guy?

No, just not push him off at all. I guess he needed his heat back but think of something else. Maybe the heels take the high ground and torture him up there while fighting off anyone climbing up. Besides, as said, Darby already bumped down a flight of stairs. (Right before the match I watched a Funk/Road Warrior Hawk brawl where Funk slid backwards, head first, down a flight of bleachers. It was banana.)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Oh I tuned out the interview, what's the stip?

Miro's contract has a clause that says that Darby forfeits the belt if he cannot compete.  Very convenient timing given that Darby took that bump down a flight of steps after Ethan Page announces his interest in Darby's belt.

Sets the table for either Miro winning the belt or Darby winning and getting beat up just enough to drop the title to Ethan Page in a future title defense.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I will saw this: I had to see this match while it was happening. Went to an open bar, asked to change the corner channel to TNT, and had a fun time drinking beer by myself. I love wrestling. 

I got a few zingers hurled my way. Gotta roll with it and chuckle it off. The closer tv was on the Twins game that I guess the guys who never looked up from their phone was really invested in...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

The amount of detail in tonight's main event was superb!

(Sammy's jumpsuit said HARRIS COUNTY on the back, Houston being in Harris County. However, they don't use the word "corrections".)

Yes, there has not been enough love for the Inner Circle's prison jumpsuits or for the Pinnacle dressing in all white to make sure the blood showed up on their ring garb..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I will agree with everything negative about Blood and Guts but I still love the shit out of it. I knew Pinnacle would win but what made it all the more better was how much my wife bought into the ending. She's smart with what goes on in wrestling but but got so sucked into it that me saying they got her snapped her out of it.

The crash pad plus the camera showing Jericho talking to MJF hurt it a lot. But at the same time the story of it was pretty damn effective so hats off to all involved. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Easily the best War Games since the first NXT one, maybe the '90s. I don't understand the crash pad talk, was MJF supposed to shoot murder a guy?

Maybe if that's your proposed finish, come up with something better?  If Jericho isn't going full Foley, maybe not book a  Foley finish?  It was a deflater of a finish, and it made the Inner Circle look like idiots.  "NO!  Don't throw Chris onto a mattress!!"  AEW books better and feels more legit than WWE.  They don't get passes when they are worse.  Chris himself should have known how bad that was going to look.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Oh yeah, what the fuck was going on with Jake Hager's head?  Did he cut himself before the match?

It looked like he had the initials JC in red on the side of his head.  I assumed it was a shout out to Jim Crockett given the NWA / WCW origins of War Games...er.... Blood & Guts.

• Like 1

Yeah, that wasn't near the level of "business exposing" bad as the exploding ring. TV shows use flimsy material to replicate heavy, permanent fixtures and staging on set all the time. I was working on a CW show once (rhymed with Slack Lightning) that had an entire high school set built from balsa wood so guys could go crashing into and through walls. That bump could've been shot better, but for me personally it's not out of the realm of possibility at all that there might be a bunch of cardboard and wood dressed to look like steel. That match was perfect other than that. The IC owed the Pinnacle an extended beatdown, and the shit was glorious. If anything, I thought MJF and Wardlow could've eaten more offense. 

Other than that, only my usual complaint, mainly that the EVP's of this company would all be doing this program a huge favor by staying the fuck off of it, Kenneth included. Pretty ballsy of him to talk shit on Orange Cassidy for little kids dressing up like him, when that twitchy motherfucker has been doing his hair like David Cassidy for as long as I can remember. Fuck him. Mox and Kingston ruled, as always. I hope they get to beat the piss out of those two lumpy dweebs the Young Bucks, whether or not the titles are involved. Miro is THE SHIT. As is Britt (And Rebel, not Reba). That four way tag was good, and the Acclaimed have a bright-assed future. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1