DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

Main Event: Cody Rhodes w/Arn Anderson vs QT Marshall w/The Factory

Also:

• Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. in action!
  • The Acclaimed vs SCU vs Jurassic Express vs Varsity Blondes
  • Michael Nakazawa/Kenny Omega vs Eddie Kington/Jon Moxley
  • Blood & Guts: The Pinnacle vs Inner Circle
Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 7

So that 4 corners Tag match, is that going to be the first time Jungle Boy and Griff Garrison are in the ring together? Do you reckon they'll do a mirror segment?

LET THE HATE FLOOOOOW THROUGH YOU

Main Event: Cody Rhodes w/Arn Anderson vs QT Marshall w/The Factory

The real question here is what color hair will Cody have for this match and which Lantern Core will he represent. They've done a poor job getting QT ready for this match as he should have been cutting a swath through the Nightmare Factory this whole time and going over strong based on his scouting (since he trained most of them or trained with them extensively). But they already kind of blew that concept when Cody embarrassed QT during the match that cemented the turn. Brandi will announce that the website about the television show about the action figure about the baby will now have another website about the website.

Also:

• Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. in action!

Who is Britt Baker? Oh, you mean that woman who had a break out performance a month ago and hasn't worked on the big show since? Whatever happened to the person that beat her? 

• The Acclaimed vs SCU vs Jurassic Express vs Varsity Blondes

I cannot imagine their parents caring about this. AEW is like a pinball machine just waiting around to scream MULTIBALLLLL!

• Michael Nakazawa/Kenny Omega vs Eddie Kington/Jon Moxley

Either will be a joke or should be a joke. Either Nakasawa dies which we all expected or your top babyfaces can't beat him easily. Best option is that it becomes a de facto handicapped match which stacks the odds against the heel which is always a great idea. BOOKER OF THE YEAR. Can we end this forever feud yet between Moxley and Omega? Will Moxley have any sort of plan this time the Good Brothers and Young Bucks come out to beat him up?  Of course not!  

• Blood & Guts: The Pinnacle vs Inner Circle

The Memento of wrestling feuds where the end comes at the beginning. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So that 4 corners Tag match, is that going to be the first time Jungle Boy and Griff Garrison are in the ring together? Do you reckon they'll do a mirror segment?

Who the fuck is Griff Garrison?

• Like 2

AEW_B&G_Poster.jpg to 

AEW_Blood_and_Guts_2021.jpg

Big expectations for Blood & Guts with fans affections for WarGames when done right, Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance as the best in the gimmick's history, rightly doing Submit or Surrender rules and the talent involved...minus Shaun Spears. 1am-3am Thursday morning UK time.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

For the love of everything all I ask from the match is for this to happen.  Let's see how often the two Spiderman meme gets used online when discussing the show. 

And I'm really fucking hyped for this, guys.  It seems like a loaded show with B&G happening but I can see some of those segments going fairly quickly.  Gonna be a fun night.

• Like 2

Last week I was asked if I wanted to do a trial shift at the Marie Curie Charity Shop the week after. I picked Thursday forgetting that Blood & Guts was happening in the early hours that morning. If I choose to watch live it's 1am till 3am, probably too pumped to get back to sleep straight away for a 10am shift start. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Am I alone in thinking the Blood and Guts match is rushed? Like really really really rushed? Didn’t MJF pull the wool over The Inner Circle’s eyes six weeks ago or so? I love that The Pinnacle gelled together so quickly that Dax is willing to die for MJF, whom he has only really associated with for all of three paychecks (if AEW has direct deposit.)

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Am I alone in thinking the Blood and Guts match is rushed? Like really really really rushed? Didn’t MJF pull the wool over The Inner Circle’s eyes six weeks ago or so? I love that The Pinnacle gelled together so quickly that Dax is willing to die for MJF, whom he has only really associated with for all of three paychecks (if AEW has direct deposit.)

Oh, it definitely feels rushed though Jericho said on the Meltzer interview that this is the start of the feud and not the end.  Which is incredibly baffling considering this normally ends up being a feud-ender but we'll see how it goes.

And I would normally do this for PPVs but since this has a big-time vibe to it if you all want to discuss while it's going on I got a Discord room setup.  https://discord.gg/7PSebVVuyu

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I love that The Pinnacle gelled together so quickly that Dax is willing to die for MJF, whom he has only really associated with for all of three paychecks (if AEW has direct deposit.)

Per the storyline, they’ve all been together a LOT longer than they’ve been publicly known.  Didn’t reveal themselves until the moment was right.

• Like 2

Jericho did have a good point during the Meltzer interview when he said that, while “Pinnacle vs Inner Circle” is a young program, MJF vs Jericho has been building for a while and this is part of that, of course.  And, as has already been mentioned, this won’t be the end.  Dusty and friends vs the Horsemen didn’t end just because Hawk made JJ give up in like 14 different cities.  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

Got that old timey feeling. Almost didn't know what it was. But I reached deep back in memory and... it's genuine excitement for a weekly wrestling show. Love it. Can't wait to see how it plays out. Would love if this did a monster number. I know we shouldn't be consumed with ratings and the nuts and bolts like that. But it's an instant gratification of other people enjoying what you enjoy. No idea how they will go with the finish. But my $.02 American says let Wardlow murder everyone to the point Jericho is scared Sammy is going to die and he gives up to save Sammy's life. Of coarse after it's over Wardlow still murder deaths Sammy.

No matter how it plays out, just happy to be legitimately excited about a wrestling show again.

• Like 2

Noticed something about the photo. Don't look here until after the show ends...

Spoiler

Clearly someone is taking a bump off the cage. There's like 50 empty boxes on the stage that they will setup as a safe platform to land on. Kinda wish I didn't look at the pic now. But oh well. Still hyped!

ETA: Oh shit there also appears to be a gimmicked hole in the bottom right of the ring on the right.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1

Good match and I didn't mind the finish but the Inner Circle control segment went on too long for a comeback to be realistic so I knew there had to be some fuckery afoot.

I watched with my non-wrestling fan wife and I appreciate Sammy and Dax both calling spots and getting the blade on camera so I could explain them to her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus Christ. That was everything I wanted, even if the commercials were unfortunate. That Spanish fly spot was insane. Ortiz and Santana were stars. FTW bled buckets. The right ending. I need a cigarette after that and I don’t even smoke.

And, yet still, next week looks like their best show ever on paper! 

• Like 6

It was a brutal match while in the ring so from a violence standpoint it held it's own.  It got sloppy but frankly I can deal with that in a fight.  Tons of blood which always helps.  But I thought the finish sucked.  Especially when it was obvious he went into some uber safe padding.  Plus because of the way it was shot we have no idea what was going on inside the cage. 

But as much as I may complain on the finish, it was still 100 times better than Kenny Omega promo    

• Like 3

Meh. This feud should have gone 6+ months and had this as the blow off on a PPV. Half of the match being picture in picture really killed a lot of the heat for me as well. The control segments were way too uneven and I wasn't a fan of the ending.

• Like 1