DVDVR Message Board

WONG FEI-HUNG KUNG FU MOVIE REVIEW pre-thread

Execproducer

And just in case the video wasn't already indicative, Samurai films are eligible this year....except for Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. Too easy to pick and millions of words have already been written about them. Dig a little deeper.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm gonna be too busy this month with packing and moving so I'm gonna have to pass. 

If you find the time and want to toss a bonus review my way, your contributions are always appreciated.

• Like 1

Thank you, Sir. I'm at work and it probably would be at least another eight hours before I'd have been able to find the time to do that. Usual rules apply. Say you're in, pick a film and pm me, wait to receive yours. I'll wait until a few more people jump in before I set a deadline for picks.  

I'm in.  I'll have to come up with a pick that is fairly accessible.

I still cannot believe I actually watched Kill Or Be Killed and Kill and Kill Again in one afternoon.

In honor of John, I will try to track down and review The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Going through Year 1 again - my review of Royal Warriors is one of my favorite things I ever wrote

Reading that and watching the trailer again, I might just do a bonus of it. Not only did you say they set off a grenade in a plane and it doesn't crash, there's an exploding car in the trailer that a person is running TOWARDS. ?

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm in.  I'll have to come up with a pick that is fairly accessible.

I still cannot believe I actually watched Kill Or Be Killed and Kill and Kill Again in one afternoon.

In honor of John, I will try to track down and review The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

Amazon.com: The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires [Blu-ray]: Peter Cushing, David Chiang, Julie Ege, Roy Ward Baker, Cheh Chang: Movies & TV

FYI if you guys have a Roku, the Midnight Pulp app has a good amount of kung fu/martial arts on it.  HBO Max has samurai movies in the TCM section.

• Like 1

What do we all think is the best fight scene ever, and why is it the Kitchen Fight from The Raid 2?

I'm in.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

What do we all think is the best fight scene ever, and why is it the Kitchen Fight from The Raid 2?

Ken Lo vs. Jackie Chan in Legend of the Drunken Master and Donnie Yen vs. Colin Chou in Flashpoint both say "Hey!" 

I am also fond of the Zhang Ziyi vs. Michelle Yeoh weapons free for all in CTHD and the rooftop fight scene from Who Am I?

We'll get to all of this in the actual movie review thread and yeah, I haven't seen a fight in Raid or Raid 2 that I didn't like.  The hallway fight in The Raid where Rama is wrecking dudes with a tonfa and a knife is just mindblowing and Mad Dog should be a household name.

Iko Uwais is a babyfaced killer!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2